3G TL (2004-2008)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help me decide: 2008 TYPE-S or 2011 Camaro 2SS?

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2010, 08:39 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
my issue with the 3 series is the lackluster interior IMO. nice cars but holy shit, talk about boring interior. blah
Old 08-31-2010, 07:23 PM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
yeah, I hear you - not many cars these days that strike me as a perfect balance between luxury and performance + holds value. Acura is a rare exception, hence my decision to go for it.
Old 08-31-2010, 08:15 PM
5th Gear

I agree with others. You are comparing two different cars. The TL offers the Versatility of a sports car and everyday car for when you need more than two doors.
Old 08-31-2010, 10:01 PM
Codename Duchess

Received 80 Likes on 57 Posts
TL-S is not a sports car. Not even a little. Nor is it a muscle car. I don't even think it is a sports sedan. That said, I love mine. I like big touring type sedans and the TL-S is a very good version of that. Enough power to get out of its own way, respectable around a corner, and more than adequate brakes.

From a pure "fun to drive" stand point, it is good for what it is. Keep in mind I believe if you have to qualify your statement at all, it isn't truly that statement. Apart from power, I think my wife's TSX (05) is more fun to drive than my TL.

So at the end of the day, as stated, you are comparing 2 completely different things. It is like asking, "I need an appliance. What should I buy, a stove or a refrigerator?" Well, it really depends on what the hell you want to do with it.
Old 09-01-2010, 06:55 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by DiamondJoeQuimby
TL-S is not a sports car. Not even a little. Nor is it a muscle car. I don't even think it is a sports sedan. That said, I love mine. I like big touring type sedans and the TL-S is a very good version of that.
note to self. a 300hp manual transmission sedan that does 0-60 in under 6 seconds is not a performance sedan. thanks for the heads up.

Old 09-01-2010, 07:43 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 832 Likes on 679 Posts
Originally Posted by cynep
See, I'm not the only one who has a soft spot for Camaro. I'm not a Ford person, never was - therefore no mustang (or charger, for that matter) for me. Just something about Camaro that I like. I think for now, I'll get a type s and see how it goes... until next summer, when Z24 and convertible are due out.

Thanks everyone for your comments - believe it or not but it helped make up my mind.
Probably mean Z-28. As an old guy and one that has always liked the early Camaro's, but got to say that the new design doesn't do much for me, Camaro nor Challenger. A 2011 Mustang GT would be the way to go at around $34k, but even the V-6 at $25 has stellar performance @ 5.1 0-60 and good fuel mileage. Would never own one of these with a 6, but as people pointed out many times, what does one do in the winter? What we did years ago, put some good rubber on the car and drive it.

Best of both worlds, have an extra car, but it certainly is an expense as we have had 3 cars, 2 drivers for years.
Old 09-01-2010, 10:04 AM
Mademoiselle Chanel!!

Received 43 Likes on 35 Posts
Just cruising the site when I came across this post. Interesting a friend of mine and myself were looking at purchasing 2010 Camaro SS. He purchased one...I opted for a 2009 TL SH-AWD. To entirely different vehicles. My car purchased varied tremendously too, V-8 Mustang, V-8 Challenger, V-8 Camaro, 2008 Vette, and even the Porsche Cayman S. I re-evaluated due to commute, daily use, economy...among other factors. Always enjoyed Acura products, but initially the V-6 TSX was my 1st choice when getting out of my '01 3.2 CL.
You have t really weigh your necessities versus what I call nice-ities, the pros and and cons which include yearly cost, i.e. fuel, maintenance and things like that. I'm happy with my choice so there's no buyers remorse because I still feel the same way I felt the first day with my purchase, it's freakin' blast. I Felt the same way with the '01 CL for nearly 10 years every-time I got in the car, which made buying something new difficult. It just felt so damn right when I got behind the wheel.
The car covered every area of my desires and more areas than others but for me no short comings. True other models may have had more options at a cost, but they were non-factors for me.
Of course if price is no object of the difference between a deal for top-shelf and what you intended to spend are with in an acceptable fudge range go for it. I could of went about $15k higher, but I thought why?
What ever you choose enjoy it man, life is meant to be lived.
Old 09-01-2010, 10:40 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 84 Likes on 79 Posts
Originally Posted by compewterbleu
Just cruising the site when I came across this post. Interesting a friend of mine and myself were looking at purchasing 2010 Camaro SS. He purchased one...I opted for a 2009 TL SH-AWD. To entirely different vehicles. My car purchased varied tremendously too, V-8 Mustang, V-8 Challenger, V-8 Camaro, 2008 Vette, and even the Porsche Cayman S. I re-evaluated due to commute, daily use, economy...among other factors. Always enjoyed Acura products, but initially the V-6 TSX was my 1st choice when getting out of my '01 3.2 CL.
You have t really weigh your necessities versus what I call nice-ities, the pros and and cons which include yearly cost, i.e. fuel, maintenance and things like that. I'm happy with my choice so there's no buyers remorse because I still feel the same way I felt the first day with my purchase, it's freakin' blast. I Felt the same way with the '01 CL for nearly 10 years every-time I got in the car, which made buying something new difficult. It just felt so damn right when I got behind the wheel.
The car covered every area of my desires and more areas than others but for me no short comings. True other models may have had more options at a cost, but they were non-factors for me.
Of course if price is no object of the difference between a deal for top-shelf and what you intended to spend are with in an acceptable fudge range go for it. I could of went about $15k higher, but I thought why?
What ever you choose enjoy it man, life is meant to be lived.

x2
Old 09-13-2010, 03:32 PM
2nd Gear

I am a big camaro fan, but if this car is going to be your daily driver, go wit the TL.
Old 09-13-2010, 05:23 PM
Instructor

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
TL-S, much better styling, superior interior design and material, entry level luxury/sport performance, ?better resale value. But then again, I am totally bias.
Old 09-13-2010, 08:59 PM
Team Owner

Received 6,470 Likes on 5,162 Posts
I like them both....get them-both of them.
Old 12-20-2010, 04:47 PM
Intermediate

Well, few months later - coming back to chime in on my experience. Here's the patient in question:

...and boy was I raped by Infiniti of Willow Grove (PA)... At 21K miles car needs:
1. New clutch/flywheel
2. New tires (currently has summer tires with a sidewall bubble)
3. Front/Rear brakes

Roughly... $2.5K bullet right between the eyes. That's what I get for buying used... damnit.
Old 12-20-2010, 05:21 PM
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
^ Love it...love the color =) Was it a loaner or something who the hell could've beat the clutch that silly @ 21k miles that it needs to be replaced? Was this a company track day vehicle or something?
Old 12-20-2010, 05:31 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 269 Likes on 229 Posts
Well, few months later - coming back to chime in on my experience. Here's the patient in question:

...and boy was I raped by Infiniti of Willow Grove (PA)... At 21K miles car needs:
1. New clutch/flywheel
2. New tires (currently has summer tires with a sidewall bubble)
3. Front/Rear brakes

Roughly... $2.5K bullet right between the eyes. That's what I get for buying used... damnit.
No, that's what you get for buying abused. I got my used car with 92 000km and I am on 142km and I didn't have a single problem with the car. But I got mine inspected before i paid the man.
Old 12-20-2010, 07:32 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 105 Likes on 64 Posts
The new camaros are sexy as hell, but with gas prices going up I would go with the Acura, thats the reason I sold my SS Silverado and got the Ac. The TL Type-S is one of the best looking sedans out there too with a reasonable price. Hands down go with the TL
Old 12-20-2010, 07:52 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 108 Likes on 88 Posts
get a subaru impreza wrx sti.
-AWD
-4 doors
-amazing in snow
-fast
Old 12-20-2010, 09:03 PM
Former Whiner

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
ok...
Old 12-20-2010, 09:05 PM
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Looking for some input... Found a 2008 Type-S 6 Speed in bronze with ony 19K miles. At first I got pretty excited about it, as I had leased a "regular" TL and liked it. But then seeing a Camaro 2SS, V8, 6 speed, in Cyber Gray made me all nice and tingly all over.

Now I can't decide... Front Wheel Drive on a "sleeper" performer with looks (and $10K less price sticker) my accountant would approve.... or rear wheel drive "I eat asphalt for breakfast, lunch, and dinner" Camaro 2SS?

Keep in mind, this will be my daily driver and I live in snow-prone Philly region.

So, do I respond to a sensible side or do I get a 2 door monster?
This is a tough decision because the TL is everything the other members have said that it is. It's a great car as a base or type-s model. I've had mine for almost 5 years and still like the car very much, but I can't stand the fact that every time I want to upgrade or change out something it's becomes a big project. One could easily spend thousands just to improve the sound system. Acura used speed density air metering on these cars which makes it a PITA to upgrade the engine without a re flash of the computer, which only seems to be available for FI applications. In the last two months, I've looked at everything from a type-s to a lexus RX 330, and now I'm considering a 6.0 liter GTO. The TL is a great overall car as suggested, but no fun whatsoever IMHO if you like to upgrade the engine or electronics.
Old 12-21-2010, 06:59 AM
US Navy Seabees

Received 75 Likes on 56 Posts
keep the RSX as a DD and buy the 2011 Stang GT, have you ever sat in a Camaro?? You can't see shit out the windows!! Also the Stang out performs the Camaro in everyway plus the interior of the Stang is 100x better.
edit: damn sorry to hear that buddy, should've gotten it inspected first!

Last edited by Ruby; 12-21-2010 at 07:03 AM.
Old 12-21-2010, 09:31 AM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by myron
No, that's what you get for buying abused. I got my used car with 92 000km and I am on 142km and I didn't have a single problem with the car. But I got mine inspected before i paid the man.
I totally dorked out. It was a combination of factors...:

1. I got sick and tired of riding in "more furious than fast" RSX TypeS (my other car):

2. Got a new, well paying job and was jonesing for new ride

3. I got approved for a low interest car loan

4. Not a dealer in nearby 4 states had a six speed TL, let alone Type S - I called every acura dealer, I searched every craigslist posting, I combed through every ebay listing, autotrader, cars, etc - NOWHERE.

Then, by sheer accident I happened upon this gem. I don't think it was raced - based on what I found, it was a (rich asian) girl's car and I think she learned how to drive stick on it. How do I know? From phone book entries she left behind, along with points of interest she visited (in navigation).... and a cute (Thai or Vietnamese) matt, folded up and left in the owners manual.

Draw your own conclusions.

I should have known when I initially test drove it and it felt like accelleration was... how do I explain it... - in stages.. Like you feel acceleration but it's not smooth, slight slip and grab, slip and grab - almost unnoticeable. I only found out when I punched it, trying to merge with traffic and it started slipping like mofo. Ugh.
Old 12-21-2010, 02:24 PM
Chapter Leader (Central New Jersey)

Received 220 Likes on 202 Posts
def a no brainer....fwd if your prone to snowy winters
Old 12-21-2010, 03:11 PM
Cruisin'

the obvious answer is to buy the type-s and spend the money you saved on a turbo kit.
turbo tl type-s>camaro all day
Old 12-21-2010, 06:24 PM
HID Nazi

Looking for some input... Found a 2008 Type-S 6 Speed in bronze with ony 19K miles. At first I got pretty excited about it, as I had leased a "regular" TL and liked it. But then seeing a Camaro 2SS, V8, 6 speed, in Cyber Gray made me all nice and tingly all over.

Now I can't decide... Front Wheel Drive on a "sleeper" performer with looks (and $10K less price sticker) my accountant would approve.... or rear wheel drive "I eat asphalt for breakfast, lunch, and dinner" Camaro 2SS?

Keep in mind, this will be my daily driver and I live in snow-prone Philly region.

So, do I respond to a sensible side or do I get a 2 door monster?

Are you talking about the bronze one at Montgomeryville Acura?? Auto, asking high 20's?