3G TL (2004-2008)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help! Dealer say 3rd gears fixed, but...

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2008, 10:17 PM
Here I come!

Received 62 Likes on 41 Posts
Yo, it sucks that you gotta go through all this. Best bet is to GL. I would make sure that I got what I paid for the car + any loss wages from missed work + attorney fees and so on. By the end of this whole ordeal, you gotta feel like it never affected you or your wallet. Like you said, "made whole again". Good luck.
Old 09-08-2008, 07:13 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 233 Likes on 166 Posts
Originally Posted by hankypank
I don't know what the going rate is, probably around $0.50 mile, but that for gas, oil, maintentce. I've paid for all that. This strictly depreciation.

Chris
I don't know what normal depreciation is for pure mileage, but $0.05 seems pretty fair. Maybe an accountant on here could figure it out? I would check it out and maybe make a counteroffer of $.03 a mile or something, then I would take it and move on.

There is pretty much no scenario in which you come out of this truly satisfied. They simply are not willing to take that large of a loss. Sure, this is entirely their fault but, it was still an accident. You could wind up spending years in court, the lawyer could cost more than you get, or even worse, there is always the possibility that you lose. Yea that really sucks, but realistically, I think you are in for a long, hard battle on this.
Old 09-08-2008, 08:08 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,004 Likes on 1,424 Posts
Originally Posted by TzarChasm
I don't know what normal depreciation is for pure mileage, but $0.05 seems pretty fair. Maybe an accountant on here could figure it out? I would check it out and maybe make a counteroffer of $.03 a mile or something, then I would take it and move on.

There is pretty much no scenario in which you come out of this truly satisfied. They simply are not willing to take that large of a loss. Sure, this is entirely their fault but, it was still an accident. You could wind up spending years in court, the lawyer could cost more than you get, or even worse, there is always the possibility that you lose. Yea that really sucks, but realistically, I think you are in for a long, hard battle on this.
From what I talked to my friend about, he told me this is how it's calculated:
All of the operation costs are equal to the depreciation of car, per mile.

So in the case of the TL, he said:
19 MPG - .19 a mile for gas @ 3.60 a gallon
30K Tires - MX4M's are 250 each, so .01 a mile
Oil 5k - so 29.99 - about .01
Misc Wear and tear - 10 cents
That all equates to - 32 cents a mile. Thats what he uses for his calculations... don't know how right that is for depreciation...
Old 09-08-2008, 12:04 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by csmeance
From what I talked to my friend about, he told me this is how it's calculated:
All of the operation costs are equal to the depreciation of car, per mile.

So in the case of the TL, he said:
19 MPG - .19 a mile for gas @ 3.60 a gallon
30K Tires - MX4M's are 250 each, so .01 a mile
Oil 5k - so 29.99 - about .01
Misc Wear and tear - 10 cents
That all equates to - 32 cents a mile. Thats what he uses for his calculations... don't know how right that is for depreciation...
Thats what I thought, that depreciation is normally 7 to 10 cents per mile, depending on the car, but I couldnt remember where I heard it so I didn't want to say anything. In that case 5 cents would probably not be that bad.

Not that I don't hope things turn out better than that for the OP, but realistically, after an accident, pretty much no one is happy.
Old 09-08-2008, 05:21 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 120 Likes on 93 Posts
IIRC the IRS deduction is $0.52 a mile now if that helps. Edmunds cost to run a TL was also around $0.50 a mile based on a 4 (or was it 5?) year period.

However that includes the cost for fuel, etc. Actual depriciation should be less. Find out what similar used TL's are selling for, deduct your purchase price and devide by 5k and see what you get. But that's not really fair since you're paying the entire huge depriciation hit as soon as you drive it off the lot.

Also make sure they cover taxes on the new car if you have sales tax.
Old 09-08-2008, 07:55 PM
2007 Cabon Bronze Pearl

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I would call Acura headquarters. They will give you a case number and case manager to deal with the dealership as well. They do not want a bad wrap with ACURA written all over it. I took my car to the dealer for an oil change since it's still free and they said I needed an alignment and 2 tires with only 14,000 miles! I called Acura and they called the dealer and told them to give me 2 tires for free since in their statement it said it was abnormally worn tires on vehicle. Also because the dealer did not want to make it right since the customer is ALWAYS wrong in their eyes!!
Old 09-08-2008, 08:13 PM
Here I come!

Received 62 Likes on 41 Posts
Awhh crap. I gotta take my car in to get a couple of things checked and after what happened here, I'm afraid to. Wish me luck.
Old 09-08-2008, 10:28 PM
07 WDP TL-S ASpec lip

Latest update:

The service manger is now being very cordial. Still waiting on my insurance company to go look at the car, waiting to hear from Acura Corporate, and waiting for a call from another lawyer. So far they are doing everything by the book, nothing more.

Went 18 hours for a reply to 'where is my car'. Almost filed a stolen car report. One lawyer told me this is called 'conversion', you can look it up on wikipedia.

Still not sure about 'their' body shop fixing it, seems like a conflict of interest.

Guess nobody from Acura America reads this, in my opinion they are looking pretty bad. Still haven't 'named names', but that coming soon.

I've been warned about 'libel' and slander, etc, etc. I think so far my posts have been factual and opinion. It is illegal to say things that are not true; facts are facts.

Chris
Old 09-08-2008, 11:06 PM
07 WDP TL-S ASpec lip

For the moment, let's just say the dealer is on the Metro North side of Boston. Not to be confused with the NH dealer that has an excellent history.
Old 09-08-2008, 11:19 PM
07 WDP TL-S ASpec lip

And, on side note, which is best, the new reformulated Acura MTF, GM Synchromesh FM, or KY? My backside's is starting to hurt.
Old 09-08-2008, 11:45 PM
10th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Your taking this really well, I wouldnt have left that dealership until i drove away with a brand new car. Kepp us updated as you have, im really interested in seeing how this plays out. You deserve a new car.
Old 09-09-2008, 08:17 AM
Suzuka Master

Latest update:

The service manger is now being very cordial. Still waiting on my insurance company to go look at the car, waiting to hear from Acura Corporate, and waiting for a call from another lawyer. So far they are doing everything by the book, nothing more.

Went 18 hours for a reply to 'where is my car'. Almost filed a stolen car report. One lawyer told me this is called 'conversion', you can look it up on wikipedia.

Still not sure about 'their' body shop fixing it, seems like a conflict of interest.

Guess nobody from Acura America reads this, in my opinion they are looking pretty bad. Still haven't 'named names', but that coming soon.

I've been warned about 'libel' and slander, etc, etc. I think so far my posts have been factual and opinion. It is illegal to say things that are not true; facts are facts.

Chris
The truth is an absolute defense against libel or slander. In this case it would be libel because you aren't "saying" anything. And yes, if they hold your car and don't allow you access it is conversion and would entitle you to the fair market value of the item. The problem in that case would be the fair market value is probably less than what they have already offered to pay you.
Old 09-09-2008, 09:47 AM
Race Director

Received 1,544 Likes on 1,197 Posts
I guess I don't know much about all the legal aspects of this, but I can't see any reason why all of your costs to resolve this issue aren't paid back in full.

This is in no way your fault. Thus I would think it would in no way hurt your stuff, your time, or your money.

A couple things aren't good here. TL-S are scarce, yet alone in the color combo you had/want. On top of that you may have gotten a deal before, which you may not be able to now.

Keep us updated man, I want to know the resolution to this saga.
Old 09-09-2008, 01:43 PM
Burning Brakes

ive been following this thread, its really interesting
thanks for keeping us imformed and i relly hope everything gets worked out for what you want man
Old 09-09-2008, 02:11 PM
04 NBP 6MT Navi

quite the detailed scenario and soggy situation to be in. I think they should have REPLACED instead of repaired your door and what not, but they obviously are in their best interest of saving money.

I havent payed much attention to dates as far as how long this had dragged on but at some point I would think you have to weigh in lawyer fees vs how much you will have to pay for a new car or whatever other expenses come from this fiasco.

Also, good to hear its not Sunnyside! they are a mile and a half from my office at best but I wouldnt imagine it would take more than 1 attempt to guess what dealership you are at..
Old 09-09-2008, 03:52 PM
Racer

Somehow I don't think that you would be in this situation at a Lexus dealership. If Acura wants to elevate their line into the "Tier 1" status, they need to provide a Lexus-like customer service experience across the ENTIRE dealer network instead of coming up with "signature" grille treatments.
Old 09-09-2008, 10:16 PM
07 WDP TL-S ASpec lip

Latest update:

Nothing new from the dealer, other than the staff have been cordial in waiting for my insurance company to do an inspection.

I had requested my insurance company provide an estimate, as a courtesy (20 yrs, no claims). I've not filed this as a claim with them, yet. Called them saturday, again noon today. They appologized for 'dropping the ball'. Still nothing. I'll be calling them noon time tomorrow.

Talked to Acura 'Customer Care' or whatever. Explained the events up to now. Guy was very nice and seemed to agree the offers made were not very good. Seemed very anxious to get back to me. That was at about 1:30. No reply as of yet.

I even explained how the dealer and Acura were looking pretty bad on this site. And the fact that the dealers offer of 0.50 / mi means that an Acura TL with 70Kmi is worthless. Doesn't seem he is representing the brand very well. Five stars for this?

I'm starting to the time I've spent on the phone, jeopordizing my job, having to drive up there (taking time off work), driving a 20mpg soccer mom vehicle. This gonna cost me a few buck out of pocket, and no one is going to pay for this.

ARRGGHH!

Chris
Old 09-10-2008, 12:43 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by 1075
Somehow I don't think that you would be in this situation at a Lexus dealership. If Acura wants to elevate their line into the "Tier 1" status, they need to provide a Lexus-like customer service experience across the ENTIRE dealer network instead of coming up with "signature" grille treatments.
Its ALL about the dealership itself, not the brand. Every brand of car ever made has it's good and bad dealerships. It's true that the higher end dealerships tend to be better, but there is no guarentee.
Old 09-10-2008, 06:49 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Latest update:

Nothing new from the dealer, other than the staff have been cordial in waiting for my insurance company to do an inspection.

I had requested my insurance company provide an estimate, as a courtesy (20 yrs, no claims). I've not filed this as a claim with them, yet. Called them saturday, again noon today. They appologized for 'dropping the ball'. Still nothing. I'll be calling them noon time tomorrow.

Talked to Acura 'Customer Care' or whatever. Explained the events up to now. Guy was very nice and seemed to agree the offers made were not very good. Seemed very anxious to get back to me. That was at about 1:30. No reply as of yet.

I even explained how the dealer and Acura were looking pretty bad on this site. And the fact that the dealers offer of 0.50 / mi means that an Acura TL with 70Kmi is worthless. Doesn't seem he is representing the brand very well. Five stars for this?

I'm starting to the time I've spent on the phone, jeopordizing my job, having to drive up there (taking time off work), driving a 20mpg soccer mom vehicle. This gonna cost me a few buck out of pocket, and no one is going to pay for this.

ARRGGHH!

Chris
Do you live in a no-fault state? Otherwise, why would you file this with your insurance company? The dealers insurance should be paying for the damage, not yours.
Old 09-10-2008, 07:40 PM
Race Director

Wow. I would make them fix it and give you free oil changes for life. At least nobody was hurt.
Old 09-10-2008, 10:16 PM
07 WDP TL-S ASpec lip

Today's update:

I am trying to be honest as possible here.

Still no word from Corporate, other than they called to ask how my 'Dealer Experience' went. That was a pretty short call. They are going to email me a questionaire.

I talked to a Benz/Porche/Ferrari dealer friend and got some inside info, and he pointed me to his ex-body shop foreman (my friend no longer does body work, but when he did, he was well known in the US). His friend suggested I not allow the dealer's body shop do the work. I was concerned, this is a conflict of interest. Though he did seem confident that the frame was most likely okay.

Talked to my insurance company. They recommended that I go through them as they will protect me, but I have to pay the $1K deductible and of course my rates will go up. As I authorized the shop to work on my car, they are an 'authorized driver' and my problem. They called later and said they they would attempt to recoupe the 1K from the dealer.

Called to arrange to move the car to the new body shop, and spoke to their shop, North Reading Auto, and the guy was cool. He had no problem with this, but wanted to discuss it.

He proceeded to describe each line item on his estimate. Including removing the headlight assembly to avoid masking it and having a problem. He told me that after I complained that the rear door was going to repaired, the dealership called and said 'replace the door'. He indicated that in an insurance claim this would not fly. The rear wheel hada 2 inch scratch, his estimate calls for a new wheel.

He offered to shoot a bunch more pictures, and pictures of the repair process.

So I've opted to have him repair the vehicle. I don't want to get into a fight between a body shop of my choosing and them.

Could the dealer have done more? Yes. Are they fixing the cars right, seems so.

The staff has been good, after an initial rocky start. I still feel a member of the upper mangament should have contacted me ASAP.

That's it for now, AZ Rangers.

Chris

I just want to be fair.
Old 09-10-2008, 11:53 PM
07 WDP TL-S ASpec lip

ok, this could use some cleaning up, but i'm tired and can't find the edit button. the basics are there.
Old 09-11-2008, 01:23 PM
13.2@ 107 on Street tires

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
your car is probably goin to be considered unibody/frame repair...that definalty does not help your resale value...we have had cars come in with rocker panel work that have been considered unibody damage...good luck getting your white car to match
Old 09-11-2008, 01:47 PM
Race Director

Received 1,544 Likes on 1,197 Posts
I know...feels like you have to settle, and that's nonsense! FIGHT THE MAN!
Old 09-11-2008, 02:48 PM
Racer

Same story here 3rd gear fix and dealer nearly total the car. https://acurazine.com/forums/showthr...r+crash&page=4

You should ask dealer to put you in a new car. even tho they can fix everything, but if you tries to resell the car later on; the carfax report will not look good. Which mean you'll get less money.
Old 09-30-2008, 04:25 PM
07 WDP TL-S ASpec lip

Well, today I went to look at the results of the bodywork. Looks OK, but not great. The texture of the new paint doesn't look the same, I don't know if this is the base coat or the pearl. But, there is what looks like swoopy stipes on one of the doors. It was overcast, bad day to look at it.

In the end I think I may end up bringing it somewhere else and repaiting the doors, OUT OF MY WALLET! Sucks.

The really bad thing is the interior. The taupe seats are trashed! Filthy, rotten dirty! I didn't say anything to the body shop, but tomorrow the dealer is going to get an earfull. The seats weren't perfect but now look awfull.

What does 2 sets of seat covers cost? Anybody know.

This whole thing is one of the worst experiences I have ever had.

Chris
Old 10-01-2008, 05:19 PM
Registered Member

Received 162 Likes on 102 Posts
That is absolutely disgusting. You have every right to demand that you be made totally whole again with no cost to you whatsoever. This is not an accident.. it is deliberate. An accident would be the first same bump on the bumper or front fender. Your car has damage along its side. The idiot driver kept going after having made the initial contact!!

I would want the son of a bitch who did this to my car fired immediately. And if I didn't receive total satisfaction, I would make it a point to sue their asses for amounts over and above what appears to be instant. And I would do all I could to make their lives as miserable as possible.

Sorry for the rant, but destruction of my property is only exceeded by deliberate bodily injury inflicted on my person.. property is that important. What this dealership did was completely unconscionable. The dealer hasn't a leg to stand on.. he is completely at your mercy. Offer none to the bastard.
Old 10-02-2008, 10:56 PM
07 WDP TL-S ASpec lip

Well, the dealer is still being quite a 'sport' about this. Got an angry call to get my car off the lot 'before anything else happens to it'.

Took time off from work to go get it, they left me in the lobby for 15 minutes, then the shop foreman told me that the transmission is leaking and they want to clean the interior. Won't take long, just a couple of hours! This is 40 minutes from work.

An hour later they told me I could leave and they would deliver the car to my work. Which they did.

Still not happy with the paint, but the body shop guy seems very nice, so hopefully he'll shoot the paint againt. Lessee if I can post an enhanced picture to show the problem...

Old 10-02-2008, 11:06 PM
Burning Brakes

^^ i kinda see what your talking about, but after a fresh coat of paint, a good buffing will take alot of the imperfections out
Old 10-02-2008, 11:20 PM
07 WDP TL-S ASpec lip

The general dark areas I don't see. It's the 'swoopy' lines in the middle of the doors that stand out.

Somebody went crazy with the buffer? Did they burn through the pearl? I dunno.

Other than that it looks pretty good, except the rear of the front door is off about 1/16 inch.

The paint match otherwise looks pretty good. Yeah, you can tell it's been painted, but overall I think they did a pretty good job. Here a close-up of the match between the OEM paint and the body shop's.:

Seems their base coat is a little 'coarse' compared to factory, but not bad.

Hopefully they will re-shoot the doors and I can move on with my life.

Chris