heat gun/halo

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2008, 01:38 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
heat gun/halo

nighthawk black pearl /05 TL/navi/auto
20%tint,lip spoiler

hey all, just got my advanced halo kit yesterday wanna install this Fri.here is the problem: i have no way of getting to the owen!!!! i know it sounds silly but my little moma refusing to let me use the house owen

did anyone use the heat gun to open the headlight, and just epoxy it back together?? or do i absolutly need to preserve the factory glue and bake it

plzadvise!!!
Old 11-05-2008, 01:49 PM
Oderint dum metuant.

Received 534 Likes on 446 Posts
Used a heat gun...haven't sealed back up yet, but I'll use the heat gun for that, too. Whether you use a heat gun or the oven, just reuse the factory silicone and probably add some more for good measure.

One advantage of the heat gun is that the entire headlight doesn't get hot, so it's not too bad to handle.
Old 11-05-2008, 02:27 PM
Instructor

agha, what type of silicone is it and where can i buy it?

thanks for advise!!
Old 11-05-2008, 02:45 PM
Oderint dum metuant.

A lot of people use some kind of Nissan sealant; you can check the various headlight clearing threads for the specifics. You can get it at a Nissan dealer, or probably online. Beyond that, I would imagine any kind of silicone that's designed for outdoor use and is resistant to high temps would be good (eg. roofing silicone). Any of these you can get at Lowe's/Home Depot.
Old 11-05-2008, 02:57 PM
from d.c. to tennessee

i hear that hondabond is pretty good too. its a liquid gasket type of sealant. you can get it at the acura or honda dealership.
Old 11-05-2008, 03:11 PM
Instructor

ok so just to sum it up, any type of heavy duty water resistant clear sealant will do, no glue required, sealant will hold the lamp together...
Old 11-05-2008, 09:56 PM
King of NYC

Received 216 Likes on 153 Posts
Be careful with a heat gun. I know a few have done it successfully but it is more risky than an oven. It is pretty focal and it is hard to gauge if you are overdoing it. The heat will be too much too fast and only some people are skilled with it. The reason why an oven is smarter is that it is done in a more standard, predictable manner and you can keep an eye on it while it bakes and you know you aren't doing too much too fast.

You actually screwed up by telling your mom about it, lol. When I was your age I would just do it, then get in trouble, then explain what I did. It was the best way to get away with it! You can't blame your mom for thinking you are crazy because trying to explain any of this to anyone who is not into cars is impossible. She probably thinks you don't know what you are talking about, or you will ruin the headlight or burn the house down! Try to take the car elsewhere and borrow someone else's oven. When she sees the finished product she will probably say "wow!" and get over what you did......but in concerns to your age I have to leave a disclaimer here that I am NOT telling you to do it, just giving you a mere suggestion.

Last edited by rockyfeller; 11-05-2008 at 09:58 PM.
Old 11-05-2008, 11:42 PM
panditobinbin

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
i used a heat gun with no problems and it was my first time. i also added some silicon that i picked up from lowes. its worked so far. no condensation. you should be fine just make sure you seal it thoroughly
Old 11-06-2008, 06:04 AM
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
The first headlights I cleared back in 96 were done with a hairdryer. Man that sucked but a heat gun should do just fine.
Old 11-06-2008, 07:15 AM
Safety Car

Received 435 Likes on 328 Posts
I used both the oven and a heat gun to do my headlights.

Also would highly recommend the Nissan Butyl Rubber Sealant (P/N B6553-89915)

It's just like the factory sealant.
Old 11-06-2008, 08:36 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by rockyfeller
Be careful with a heat gun. I know a few have done it successfully but it is more risky than an oven. It is pretty focal and it is hard to gauge if you are overdoing it. The heat will be too much too fast and only some people are skilled with it. The reason why an oven is smarter is that it is done in a more standard, predictable manner and you can keep an eye on it while it bakes and you know you aren't doing too much too fast.

You actually screwed up by telling your mom about it, lol. When I was your age I would just do it, then get in trouble, then explain what I did. It was the best way to get away with it! You can't blame your mom for thinking you are crazy because trying to explain any of this to anyone who is not into cars is impossible. She probably thinks you don't know what you are talking about, or you will ruin the headlight or burn the house down! Try to take the car elsewhere and borrow someone else's oven. When she sees the finished product she will probably say "wow!" and get over what you did......but in concerns to your age I have to leave a disclaimer here that I am NOT telling you to do it, just giving you a mere suggestion.

haha dude it's my girl not mom, and with her there's no explaining hahah

I'll take my chance with the gun
Old 11-06-2008, 08:39 AM
Instructor

appreciate all the comments let u's know how it went on Sat!!
Old 11-06-2008, 08:44 AM
ROFLCOPTER!

When she sees the finished product she will probably say "wow!" and get over what you did...
I'm pretty sure that 75% of all guys and 100% of all women would not be all that impressed by our cosmetic car mods. Just some FYI. I'd want to do a chromosome analysis on any girl who was not faking when she feigned enthusiasm for this stuff.
Old 11-06-2008, 08:47 AM
panditobinbin

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by xen-cuts
I'm pretty sure that 75% of all guys and 100% of all women would not be all that impressed by our cosmetic car mods. Just some FYI. I'd want to do a chromosome analysis on any girl who was not faking when she feigned enthusiasm for this stuff.
my mom was against modding at first too but when i cleared the lights all she could say was wow that looks really nice
Old 11-06-2008, 09:00 AM
Oderint dum metuant.

Very good point. I had never used a heat gun prior to doing this, and messed up a couple of the latches. Impatience owns. Of the few that got messed up, I was able to fix all but one perfectly, and even that one should suffice.

However, I would say you have more control with the heat gun simply because you control how much heat and where it's applied. It's much easier to keep an eye on something in your hand. Yes, it is more risky and you can do too much too fast, but you can't fault the tool for people's lack of ability to use it properly. As with most things in life, patience combined with a slow and steady pace will yield success.
Old 11-06-2008, 09:02 AM
Instructor

amen to that
Old 11-11-2008, 09:23 AM
Instructor

ok, not great success but got some results.
To start them light are mad fragile, 2 of the rings snaped while installing the other one after we put the lamp in the car!! so i'm getting more this week and will finish the install on Sat.

Heat gun works good for taking it apart not so much for re-seal, couse you constantly have to haet different parts of the lamp to make it liquid.

by the way, the big rings are kind of hard to feet, the right way and at the end it looks a bit out of place, so i'll take the one i instaledd(that didnt break) out and just keep the small ones around the lens.

Got the lights cleared, so the time well spend at the end!! see pics below

https://acurazine.com/forums/album.php?albumid=615
Old 11-11-2008, 10:51 AM
ROFLCOPTER!

sorry those rings snapped but the lights look like they'll turn out pretty nice!
Old 11-11-2008, 10:58 AM
Safety Car

Received 57 Likes on 35 Posts
HA HA...I don't think so...there are a lot of women out there that love car mods, myself being one of them. Maybe you just don't know any??? Either way I do all my own mods to my car and would throw my own lights right in my oven if I had a heated garage to go outside and do the work. It is COLD here in CT! Anyway, I'm not trying to be a bitch but just check yourself...100% of all women??? NO!
Why do I always have to call you men out on this shit here?? Come on guys show us women on azine some love!
BTW be careful because I know some women on azine who's cars may have more mods and may even be a little hotter than yours