3G TL (2004-2008)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Has anyone heard of this 'Green' Oil Filter?

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2012, 05:10 PM
DMZ
Head a da Family

Received 561 Likes on 393 Posts
Has anyone heard of this 'Green' Oil Filter?

http://www.microgreenfilter.com/

Any thoughts?
Old 09-21-2012, 05:55 PM
Instructor

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
I don't like the idea that is says you can go up to 30,000 miles without an oil change. Were you interested because of that or because of helping the environment?
Old 09-21-2012, 06:21 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 166 Likes on 125 Posts
http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums...Number=1622963
Old 09-21-2012, 07:25 PM
Team Owner

Received 1,812 Likes on 1,283 Posts
I read the literature real quick. It looks like they're trying to claim something similar to the old bypass filtration where you have the main filter and a bleed off of the main system that goes through a finer filter. Sort of a venturi bypass.

Unless this filter can get rid of fuel dilution and replenish additives, you're not going 30k on an OCI.
Old 09-22-2012, 12:33 AM
Drifting

Received 170 Likes on 150 Posts
Uh, No.. say no to green

Dont even think about it.............
Old 09-22-2012, 12:46 AM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Chad05TL
Uh, No.. say no to green

Dont even think about it.............
Old 09-22-2012, 12:48 AM
Racer

Received 35 Likes on 29 Posts
That's kinda cool but, not for higher end motors like ours. its fine for a civic lol
Old 09-22-2012, 01:01 AM
Instructor

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
Lol being "green". When we get an oil filter thats good for 10k I'll buy it.
Old 09-22-2012, 01:26 AM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by connork53
Lol being "green". When we get an oil filter thats good for 10k I'll buy it.
There are several.
Old 09-22-2012, 07:24 AM
#1 Super Guy!

Received 510 Likes on 367 Posts
The only thing green about "green" products......is the name. It's like people believing electric cars are SOOOooo environmentally friendly. The obvious truth is batteries technology is one of the biggest jokes around. Every electric car will be totaled and scrapped within 10 years because battery packs can't last longer than that and the cost to replace them is more than the value of the car. This means you can't even sell the car for parts. It all goes in the trash.
The following 3 users liked this post by 94eg!:
I hate cars (09-22-2012), IntactACK (09-23-2012), Wacker (09-22-2012)
Old 09-22-2012, 09:48 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 96 Likes on 74 Posts
Originally Posted by NetoAzul
That's kinda cool but, not for higher end motors like ours. its fine for a civic lol
Higher end lol
Old 09-22-2012, 12:27 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 293 Likes on 253 Posts
Originally Posted by NetoAzul
Don't let them fool you .. Civics aren't that low end.....
Old 09-22-2012, 12:43 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by 94eg!
The only thing green about "green" products......is the name. It's like people believing electric cars are SOOOooo environmentally friendly. The obvious truth is batteries technology is one of the biggest jokes around. Every electric car will be totaled and scrapped within 10 years because battery packs can't last longer than that and the cost to replace them is more than the value of the car. This means you can't even sell the car for parts. It all goes in the trash.
Keep in mind any new technology will always be expensive at first but when it's mass produced and assembly becomes more streamline it becomes cheaper to produce and sell. These car makers, Toyota for example, know what they're doing and they will not put out a product that you just throw away in 10 years.
Old 09-22-2012, 02:30 PM

Received 1,162 Likes on 847 Posts
if you wanna be green, you dont buy an acura TL that has a V6 engine. so dont bother with that filter, its just marketing. its like being one of those ppl who order the whole mcdonalds menu and then get a diet coke to save on calories....
The following 3 users liked this post by paperboy42190:
CLtotheTL32 (09-24-2012), IntactACK (09-23-2012), TLtypeSex (09-22-2012)
Old 09-22-2012, 02:40 PM
Team Owner

If you can get past the marketing its a neat concept. A regular filter and a very fine bypass filter.
Old 09-22-2012, 06:37 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 72 Likes on 62 Posts
The only real "green" vehicle currently in production is the Honda FCX Clarity, but unless you live in SoCal forget about fueling it up.
Old 09-23-2012, 01:29 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by 94eg!
Agreed. People only look at whats going on in the present and right in front of them. All electric cars do is move the pollution somewhere else for the plug-in style. Batteries are incredibly toxic and as you said, once they start failing, with the cost of replacement the whole car is going to get junked. I forget the stats but a modern gasoline engine is something like 100x cleaner than a coal burning powerplant so when you plug your electric car in you're only moving the pollution to the powerplant and producing more of it. I personally would like to see more diesels over here. I would buy a diesel Civic.
The following 2 users liked this post by I hate cars:
94eg! (09-24-2012), IntactACK (09-23-2012)
Old 09-23-2012, 01:34 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by I hate cars
Agreed. People only look at whats going on in the present and right in front of them. All electric cars do is move the pollution somewhere else for the plug-in style. Batteries are incredibly toxic and as you said, once they start failing, with the cost of replacement the whole car is going to get junked. I forget the stats but a modern gasoline engine is something like 100x cleaner than a coal burning powerplant so when you plug your electric car in you're only moving the pollution to the powerplant and producing more of it. I personally would like to see more diesels over here. I would buy a diesel Civic.
I couldn't agree more. Plus, if I remember correctly on Top Gear U.K. they tested the Nissan electric car, and it takes 10hrs to charge it and it's only good for like 200 miles max.
Old 09-23-2012, 01:43 PM
Racer

Received 40 Likes on 33 Posts
TO produce hybrid vehicles it creates more pollution just to produce the battery than regular cars, and like stated above the disposal and fixing them is much worse for the environment. its a joke. It's a marketing/selling point.....blah blah blah
Old 09-23-2012, 01:49 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by IntactACK
TO produce hybrid vehicles it creates more pollution just to produce the battery than regular cars, and like stated above the disposal and fixing them is much worse for the environment. its a joke. It's a marketing/selling point.....blah blah blah
Again, I couldn't agree more. Hybrids are for yuppy's. I remember History Channel Had a Mini-Series about all the damage we've done to the planet. They showed a plant in Canada, and showed all the damage it's doing to the environment to make those batteries.
Old 09-23-2012, 02:00 PM
Burning Brakes

I'll admit the whole green thing is partly marketing to some people but you have to start somewhere. Like any technology it's going to be expensive and inefficient at first, but that's how things start, it will become more efficient and cost effective down the road.

You have to start somewhere, right?
Old 09-23-2012, 02:08 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by VanyDotK
I'll admit the whole green thing is partly marketing to some people but you have to start somewhere. Like any technology it's going to be expensive and inefficient at first, but that's how things start, it will become more efficient and cost effective down the road.

You have to start somewhere, right?
Again, I totally agree. I mean wind turbines to produce electricty, solar reflectors that heat a sodium based solution that can retain heat overnight so it can still power steam turbines even in the dark. Off the coast of the U.K they have a worm like thing that rocks with the tide, and the rocking motion inside produces electricity. Also, in I believe the Hudson River they have under water turbines that produce electricity from the flow of the current. Look at Brazil almost all their vehicles run on sugar cane ethanol.

There definitely needs to be alternatives to fossil fuels, and soon for that matter. Because, eventually we are going to run out of oil. It's a fact.
Old 09-24-2012, 09:19 AM
#1 Super Guy!

Received 510 Likes on 367 Posts
The solution is for everyone to use less energy. But every year we consume more. For the 1st time in history, residential demand has surpassed commercial. That idea lone is insane. I don't think anything will change until we just run out of oil/coal/etc.
Old 09-24-2012, 09:47 AM
Team Owner

Received 599 Likes on 417 Posts
Originally Posted by crbnfbr
Again, I totally agree. I mean wind turbines to produce electricty, solar reflectors that heat a sodium based solution that can retain heat overnight so it can still power steam turbines even in the dark. Off the coast of the U.K they have a worm like thing that rocks with the tide, and the rocking motion inside produces electricity. Also, in I believe the Hudson River they have under water turbines that produce electricity from the flow of the current. Look at Brazil almost all their vehicles run on sugar cane ethanol.

There definitely needs to be alternatives to fossil fuels, and soon for that matter. Because, eventually we are going to run out of oil. It's a fact.
Won't be in our lifetime, or even our kids.

There is a lot of oil available. The problem is refining it and the greedy individuals that control it.

The problem with green is Marketing. If you want to be green then carpool, ride a bike or walk.
Old 09-24-2012, 12:51 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 78 Likes on 61 Posts
lol green everything.

hybrid/electric is environmentally friendly? WRONG it's your wallet and gaydar friendly.

I remember writing a paper on hybrid cars hurt the environment more than a V8 can ever from manufacture to scrap and got an A lol
Old 09-24-2012, 12:58 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by RaviNJCLs
Won't be in our lifetime, or even our kids.

There is a lot of oil available. The problem is refining it and the greedy individuals that control it.

The problem with green is Marketing. If you want to be green then carpool, ride a bike or walk.
Yeah, I know that there's still plenty of oil out there to last our lifetime, but look at the population growth now we're at 7 billion and the UN medium projection is 9 billion in less that 15yrs(sorry that's their high prediction). So, naturally that means more cars on the road, more plastics being made(obviously made from oil) for cheap crap we consumers buy. Which in turn will just multiply the problem even further.

Don't get me wrong, I'm no tree hugging hippy. Hell, I don't have any catalytic convertors on my car, but I still recycle everything, I always try to conserve as much electricity as I can and I do bike to the local general store for quick item pick ups. I live in the middle of nowhere so I can't really bike to work or even to town.
Old 09-24-2012, 02:51 PM
Team Owner

Yeah, I know that there's still plenty of oil out there to last our lifetime, but look at the population growth now we're at 7 billion and the UN medium projection is 9 billion in less that 15yrs(sorry that's their high prediction). So, naturally that means more cars on the road, more plastics being made(obviously made from oil) for cheap crap we consumers buy. Which in turn will just multiply the problem even further.

Don't get me wrong, I'm no tree hugging hippy. Hell, I don't have any catalytic convertors on my car, but I still recycle everything, I always try to conserve as much electricity as I can and I do bike to the local general store for quick item pick ups. I live in the middle of nowhere so I can't really bike to work or even to town.
There's nothing wrong with conserving energy but we have not tapped into 1/10th of our oil. It's not going away anytime soon. We all need to conserve. I do what I can with $40 LED lighbulbs. I switched the whole house over for just under $1,000. I save about $40 a month. But I like them (they run cool, color temp, instant on, etc) and they should outlast me so one day I'll break even. I ride the stinky dirty vanpool to work instead of driving the TL the 45 miles each way. My round trip drive is about 4 miles a day in the TL. One tank will last me a month if I'm easy on it. I also have a GN that gets 8mpg in the city with no converters and leaded race gas but it gets driven twice a year on average.

Solar cells create a ton of pollution in their production. My parents have solar cells, my father paid $16k cash. Great deal. If he lives to be 150 he might break even. Electric bill is generally $18 in the summer and most of that is fees, not energy use. Only problem is the solar cells are only rated for 18-20yrs before they're down to 80% of their original production.

Electric cars are just to appease the "green" people. They're worse for the environment.

You would think all of the tree huggers would love the wind turbines but I worked in that industry and the hippie environmentalists are trying to get them shut down because birds occasionally get killed by them.

Same with some hydro electric power stations.

Ethanol is one of the biggest wastes ever. Take a look at how much hydrocarbon fuel is used in the production of ethanol, it's nearly a 1:1 ratio and you get half the mpg.

I believe diesels are the answer for the immediate future. They get hybrid-like gas mileage but with decent power and looks and no batteries, generators, motors, etc. Nearly 50% less fuel consumption for similar power and weight, that's HUGE.

Solar energy is getting more efficient and I'm sure it will become a significant portion of energy production eventually.
The following users liked this post:
losiglow (09-24-2012)
Old 09-24-2012, 02:54 PM
Team Owner

One last thing, the filter itself is ok. A normal filter and a very fine filter. It's a good idea but I would not have marketed it as a "green" filter. If the RP and Amsoil filters did not exist I would consider buying one. I looked into the bypass filter and it's actually very good, filtering down to 2 microns. You will never get that from a full flow filter, at least not one that will fit under the hood lol.

You may even change the filter every other oil change as it looks like it can go the distance easily, making it sort of green and helping to justify the cost.
Old 09-24-2012, 03:16 PM
Burning Brakes

I'm still using all CFL. I use the 6000k because I like the cooler light compared to what I consider ugly warmer light.

Anyway, how do you like those LED home lights, and what color temp are your LED's also? I was looking at them at Lowe's the one day, and I think I'm going to get LED lights when the CFL's burn out.
Old 09-24-2012, 03:22 PM
Drifting

Received 853 Likes on 606 Posts
There's nothing wrong with conserving energy but we have not tapped into 1/10th of our oil. It's not going away anytime soon. We all need to conserve. I do what I can with $40 LED lighbulbs. I switched the whole house over for just under $1,000. I save about $40 a month. But I like them (they run cool, color temp, instant on, etc) and they should outlast me so one day I'll break even. I ride the stinky dirty vanpool to work instead of driving the TL the 45 miles each way. My round trip drive is about 4 miles a day in the TL. One tank will last me a month if I'm easy on it. I also have a GN that gets 8mpg in the city with no converters and leaded race gas but it gets driven twice a year on average.

Solar cells create a ton of pollution in their production. My parents have solar cells, my father paid $16k cash. Great deal. If he lives to be 150 he might break even. Electric bill is generally $18 in the summer and most of that is fees, not energy use. Only problem is the solar cells are only rated for 18-20yrs before they're down to 80% of their original production.

Electric cars are just to appease the "green" people. They're worse for the environment.

You would think all of the tree huggers would love the wind turbines but I worked in that industry and the hippie environmentalists are trying to get them shut down because birds occasionally get killed by them.

Same with some hydro electric power stations.

Ethanol is one of the biggest wastes ever. Take a look at how much hydrocarbon fuel is used in the production of ethanol, it's nearly a 1:1 ratio and you get half the mpg.

I believe diesels are the answer for the immediate future. They get hybrid-like gas mileage but with decent power and looks and no batteries, generators, motors, etc. Nearly 50% less fuel consumption for similar power and weight, that's HUGE.

Solar energy is getting more efficient and I'm sure it will become a significant portion of energy production eventually.
All of this is 100% true. Coming from a chemistry background, it's sort of sad to learn what is legit and what is smoke and mirrors. Hybrids are about a green as burning tires. Ethanol is nothing but a response to political lobbyists and the hippies aren't happy with anything (wind = bird deaths, hydro = affects wildlife and erosion, solar = manufacturing toxins, nuclear = radioactive waste, tidal = eyesore and affects marine life, etc. etc. etc.) Yet they continue to drive their 230hp, 18mpg turbocharged Subaru Foresters. Good job hippies.

I agree with diesel for the immediate future. From there, there's several directions to go. I'm a nuclear fan so I'd go with that next paired with solar, hydroelectric and tidal power. Nuke has it's downsides as well so eventually nuclear fusion would be sweet if they perfected it. No dirty waste to deal with. Nuclear (old school fission) may never take off as mainstream though. It's got too bad of a rap with the public. I'm guessing the other alternatives will slowly ramp up over the next 50-100 years while we continue to come up with "clean" ways to burn fossil fuels. And has already been said, we're not going to run out of fossil fuels. We'll cook the planet from the inside out long before they're gone. But I suppose that's no better than running out. Worse probably.
Old 09-24-2012, 05:12 PM
Team Owner

I'm still using all CFL. I use the 6000k because I like the cooler light compared to what I consider ugly warmer light.

Anyway, how do you like those LED home lights, and what color temp are your LED's also? I was looking at them at Lowe's the one day, and I think I'm going to get LED lights when the CFL's burn out.
I really like the home lights. They come in various temps. The ones I use are identical to old school incandescents but there are cooler ones as well, in fact, most are cooler than what I use.

The CFLs seem like they're instant on but at one time I had a LED on one side of the bed, CFL on the other and the time difference from when I would hit the main switch would make me think I had left the lamp off on the CFL side a couple times until it came on. Not really that important but it was an eye opener.

One of the issues with LED, just like CFL is dimming. Some are "dimmable" some are not but they're usually labeled as such. I accidentally put a non dimmable LED in a dimmer light and as I dimmed it, light output remained about the same until they began flashing, seizure style. The ones that are labeled to be dimmable work fine.

For a bathroom where you might have 5 40w incandescents, I use 5 8w LEDs and it's nearly too much. For a "night light" in one of the bathrooms I use a .5w bulb and it's plenty bright, almost too bright for night time, I have to keep the door shut or the light keeps me up.

I use a 16w outdoor light and I've had one complaint.

In the beginning, dispersion was a problem. Many of them liked to shoot straight out so if it were in a lamp, a lot of the light would shoot straight up toward the ceiling but they're getting better. Prices are half of what they were a year ago when I was converting and it seems like they come out with something new every month. The technology seems to be advancing quickly.

I generally buy Phillips but there's another brand, Eco.... something, I'll have to look at the brand and post back but they're pretty good. I buy from Home Depot and Lowes but I have a friend that swears by buying LEDs on Ebay.

It's not a bad idea to wait, prices are dropping and LED technology is advancing. What got me into the LED home lights was the LED/LiIon mountain bike lights I run. I get up to 16hrs of runtime with 800 lumens on a relatively small battery and almost 8hrs of runtime at 1,600 lumens. FWIW, my 400 lumen "side" lights are what I run on the street and I get cars flashing their brights at me.
Old 09-24-2012, 05:20 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by losiglow
All of this is 100% true. Coming from a chemistry background, it's sort of sad to learn what is legit and what is smoke and mirrors. Hybrids are about a green as burning tires. Ethanol is nothing but a response to political lobbyists and the hippies aren't happy with anything (wind = bird deaths, hydro = affects wildlife and erosion, solar = manufacturing toxins, nuclear = radioactive waste, tidal = eyesore and affects marine life, etc. etc. etc.) Yet they continue to drive their 230hp, 18mpg turbocharged Subaru Foresters. Good job hippies.

I agree with diesel for the immediate future. From there, there's several directions to go. I'm a nuclear fan so I'd go with that next paired with solar, hydroelectric and tidal power. Nuke has it's downsides as well so eventually nuclear fusion would be sweet if they perfected it. No dirty waste to deal with. Nuclear (old school fission) may never take off as mainstream though. It's got too bad of a rap with the public. I'm guessing the other alternatives will slowly ramp up over the next 50-100 years while we continue to come up with "clean" ways to burn fossil fuels. And has already been said, we're not going to run out of fossil fuels. We'll cook the planet from the inside out long before they're gone. But I suppose that's no better than running out. Worse probably.
Thanks. I'm a big fan of nuclear. Do you think nuclear fusion as a power source will be a reality one day? It will still be nuclear heat source, heating up a material like water to power a turbine, right??

A little off topic but fission is splitting one large atom into smaller atoms and fusion is fusing smaller atoms into a larger one? So the advantage of fusion is much less radioactive waste? Wouldn't this be a near perfect power source from an economics stand point? Sorry but when I get an expert in one field I tend to overwhelm them with questions.
Old 09-24-2012, 07:06 PM
Burning Brakes

FWIW, my 400 lumen "side" lights are what I run on the street and I get cars flashing their brights at me.
Haha that's too funny, and thanks for all the info about the LED lighting. It was the Philips bulbs I was looking at, and I think I will be switching to those after the CFLs burn out. Fortunately, every third Saturday of the month the Waste Management nearest me takes all kinds of household toxic materials including CFLs. Because, we don't want that Mercury ending up in landfills.

I'm definitely no expert when it comes to nuclear fusion, but from I understand about fusion power is it does produce significantly less radioactive waste. I also believe it would still heat up water to power steam turbines, but I'm pretty sure the problem with fusion reactors now is that it takes more energy to contain the reaction than it would produce. That's why cold fusion is the "Holy Grail" in physics/chemistry. Again, that's just what I remember from things I've seen on Science channel etc.

Last edited by crbnfbr; 09-24-2012 at 07:20 PM.
Old 09-24-2012, 08:21 PM
Drifting

Received 853 Likes on 606 Posts
Thanks. I'm a big fan of nuclear. Do you think nuclear fusion as a power source will be a reality one day? It will still be nuclear heat source, heating up a material like water to power a turbine, right??

A little off topic but fission is splitting one large atom into smaller atoms and fusion is fusing smaller atoms into a larger one? So the advantage of fusion is much less radioactive waste? Wouldn't this be a near perfect power source from an economics stand point? Sorry but when I get an expert in one field I tend to overwhelm them with questions.
I won't pretend to be a chemistry know-it-all. I'm a biologist so a certain amount of chemistry is involved. But it's not my expertise. But yeah, I'm confident fusion will be feasible one day. They've conducted it on small scales which gives a little hope. Of course, they've teleported objects on a small scale as well but I don't think we'll be seeing teleporters like in Star Trek anytime soon . And yes, fission is splitting and fusion is combining. Fission makes a lot of radioactive waste and fusion creates almost none except for the initial fission reaction usually used to initiate the fusion reaction (a ton of initial energy input is required to get fusion going). And yes, it would be a near perfect power source. No risk of meltdown and very little radioactivity - none if the right molecules are used. But it requires a very high temperature environment and a strong magnetic field. It's not impossible, but it's incredibly difficult to produce with our current understanding of materials and energy. Definitely not feasible on a large scale for a while. But at the pace we're moving hopefully it will be more feasible in the future. Hopefully in our lifetime or at least our children's lifetime.