Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Has anyone ever been denied...

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2009, 07:40 AM
Soon I will have

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Has anyone ever been denied...

I was wondering if anyone here has ever been denied service(by an Acura dealer) or told that the problem that they were experiencing with their car was because of all the mods that were done to it? I am always nervous that because of my mods the factory warranties will be voided out or the dealership will blame an "issue" on the mods.
Old 05-27-2009, 08:07 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,999 Likes on 1,420 Posts
you shouldn't be denied service, just a warranty claim if the problem and part are related. The warranty can only be denied on a particular system or part if an aftermarket part causes the failure. For example, suppose you install a throttle body spacer, and the next day your rear deck starts to rattle. They are not connected so they cannot deny the warranty claim. However if the car starts misfiring/throws a check engine light, they can blame it on the spacer, and ask you to remove it to see if that is the cause.
Old 05-27-2009, 08:53 AM
Oderint dum metuant.

Received 534 Likes on 446 Posts
I'm assuming you're going to Hendrick. I've never had a problem there.
Old 05-27-2009, 10:46 AM
Team Owner

Received 1,137 Likes on 1,067 Posts
there is a specific law that protects car owners in this situation-the magnusson act iirc

The dealer would have to prove the mod DIRECTLY CAUSED the part failure
If you lower the car- they can deny CV joints as thats related for sure
But an intake spacer and your trans acts up...no sweat

OP list only a few things that even qualify- the exhaust mainly, but thats not going to cause a valvetrain failure or something stupid to happen
If the car is running fine the mods have not hurt it and wont be an issue if warranty claims arise

Speaking beforehand with the service writer and service manager-meeting them BEFORE you need a favor basically, and show what a great person you are by taking a box of popsicles on a hot day `for the shop` - does wonders to getting things approved or ~overlooked~ on your car come warranty needs.

you guys have all checked if part of any recalls on gen3 right? steering hose, bump stops and more

call 1-800-382-2238 x5 register as the owner (need VIN) and ask for recall check.
thats acura care center,warranty center and complaint center too
Old 05-27-2009, 12:27 PM
AZ Community Team

Received 7,770 Likes on 4,341 Posts
Originally Posted by chill_dog
I'm assuming you're going to Hendrick. I've never had a problem there.
From all I've heard, Hendrick is pretty mod freindly.

I think rockyfeller had some issues with his dealership denying or stalling on a warranty issue. Doesn't seem to happen very often.
Old 05-27-2009, 12:29 PM
Under construction

Received 96 Likes on 68 Posts
+1 for Hendrick Acura. I don't think you'll have a problem, they are a cool bunch there
Old 05-28-2009, 10:11 PM
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Can the dealer blame tranny problems on the car being lowered? I have TEIN SS and the dealer didnt want to check if my wheel bearings were the cause of some vibration once.
Old 05-28-2009, 10:27 PM
King of NYC

Received 216 Likes on 153 Posts
Originally Posted by Bearcat94
From all I've heard, Hendrick is pretty mod freindly.

I think rockyfeller had some issues with his dealership denying or stalling on a warranty issue. Doesn't seem to happen very often.
Yep, once again, my famous thread:

https://acurazine.com/forums/3g-tl-2004-2008-93/warranty-bushings-void-because-aem-intake-long-606994/

BTW I have to say I did have my rack changed a year ago and my steering STILL has that thumping sound. It's NEVER been fixed. Remember I have had this issue pretty since my car is new. I am at 47K and I need to do something about it. Here's the thing though......I am dropped on Teins now. (for only the last 12k miles.) and I have 255 tires on stockies. I know most dealers are going to try and blame steering issues on the mods. Anyone know of a mod friendly dealer in the NY area?? I am willing to drive a bit but I don't know about TN. My warranty will run out on the way back, lol.
Old 05-29-2009, 10:07 AM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I don't know if this will help, but I live in the north east pa area and the closest acura service is motor world (they suck!) Well, I would go there to get basic service, like an oil change and it would take me 1/2 the day to do.. also, when I had my new tires put on, they scratched 3 or the 4 rims (perfect circle scratches around 1/2 in from the lip -- and stated that I had no proof that they had scratched them), as well, I had issues with my 3rd gear syncro and they replaced my 4th gear (I kept bitching about it but they stated that they could never duplicate the issue -- which I went to another dealer and duplicated the issue the first time they test drove it) and they also, said that I needed new replacement parts when I didn't.

Basically, to some it up, they tried to f*&k me! They did more damage to my vehicle that me driving into a tree. Well, after I complained and talked to the service manager and told him my issues, he said that he would look into it... well, he called me when I left the dealership and told me that "they can't provide the service that I was looking for" and basically told me that I can't go there anymore. I called Acura Care and they said that I can't do anything.

I'm really getting pissed with Acura. luv the cars, but hate everything else.
Old 05-29-2009, 10:50 AM
Team Owner

a lowered car wont go on the rack at acura- its set for normal cars, so thats why the dealer may not want to look at wheel bearings
It takes extra time to get boards and get the car on the lift and the tech has other better money jobs waiting to be done
For those cars, go to a local honda ricer racer shop- they can deal with lowered cars

If you have a tranny failure, its unrelated to the Teins and acura knows it, I asked the Head Tech that specific question before doing my shocks
Old 05-29-2009, 10:51 AM
Team Owner

also lowered cars do NOT have warranty on cv axle-wheel bearings
The angle has been changed and that did cause extra wear- no warranty
Old 05-29-2009, 11:45 AM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I was always curious about CAIs and Trannys. Rejected warranty transmission replacement because of an aftermarket cold air intake. Anyone ever had this problem?