Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Had to refuse to take my new TL!

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2004, 08:45 PM
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Had to refuse to take my new TL!

I went to pick up my new TL today. All the paperwork went well - handed in my old (2001 TL) leased car. The salesperson removed my registration and inspection stickers from my old car as well. Then I went to look at my new baby! Well, that's when the trouble began. Two scratches on the front skirt - one on each side - not the "buff out" kind either - deep. Small blemish/scratch in the back left quarterpanel. 3 of the 4 rims had scratches - the 2 right rims were severely scratched around almost their entire circumference!

Well - I threw a fit (to put it mildly!). I refused to take possession of the car and demanded a new car (which they immediately agreed to). They said that they had to get this car from another delaer because they didn't have the color in stock and that whoever accepted delivery of the car at their dealership didn't notice the scratches/damage.

Best part is that they had destroyed my inspection and registration stickers from my old car so I couldn't even drive that! I now have a loaner car from them until another new TL comes in.

Question: Should I believe them? Were they just hoping I was a total moron and would take the car and not notice the damage? Should I demand any reduction in the price of the car or have them throw in some accessories free of charge?
Old 04-17-2004, 08:52 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Definately, get some sort of discount! Have 'em throw in a A-Spec package for free! (Squeeze 'em for everything they've got!)
Old 04-17-2004, 08:58 PM
TL-SHAWD 6MT Rocks!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
it doesn't matter what they tell you, the car is damaged, and you should get a new one, or some freebies to compensate for it. whatever makes you happy. Remember you are the buyer, so you are in charge.

good luck.
Old 04-17-2004, 10:01 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 86 Likes on 30 Posts
U did the right thing.

Either the huge discount or waiting for the new car would be the good choice.
Old 04-17-2004, 10:04 PM
President Team Lilirish

yeah they have to know if that much is wrong, i mean everyone notices when someone has a scratched wheel. get what u can out of em.

btw what kind of car u driving now
Old 04-17-2004, 10:13 PM
Cruisin'

Was driving a 2001 3.2 TL. Now a loaner 2002 3.2 TL until my new 2004 TL arrives.
Old 04-17-2004, 10:23 PM
President Team Lilirish

and how much longer u have to wait
Old 04-18-2004, 01:52 AM
Pro

Congrats on not accepting the car. It was a bad on them to try it... unless it was someone who was bringing it out and scrapped it and did not tell anyone for fear of being fired.

However, they agreed right away to get you a new car. I do not think that they will give you any discount.. maybe a free something, but I would not hold my breath.
Old 04-18-2004, 05:22 AM
Burning Brakes

Ever wonder why you pay so much for pre delivery inspection? Sounds like they aren't doing their job.
Old 04-18-2004, 07:44 AM
Old timer

That's a horrible experience and unbelievably bad on the dealer's part!

A good dealership will have a process to ensure that vehicles with any scratches or minor damage will be made right before it is delivered to the customer (any significant issues would be disclosed to the customer of course). Really for a luxury car purchase the dealership should be at a luxury car level. If your local Acura dealership doesn't exhibit this, perhaps look to the next closest one.

When I bought my CL-S back in '01, the nearest dealer wouldn't work enough on price to satisfy me and wasn't very friendly. I drove an extra ~25 miles to another Acura dealership that not only quoted me a better price over the phone without even asking but was much more receptive and eager to earn my business.

Here's my suggestion - start by looking for dealerships that have earned this award - it's not a guarantee of quality service but you can bet they are doing a lot right if they are earning this award with any frequency:

Precision Team

_________ Acura received the Precision Team Dealer of Distinction status the following year(s): ____________

The Precision Team Dealer of Distinction status is the most prestigious and coveted honor that Acura can grant to its dealerships. The status recognizes those dealership teams that demonstrate superior achievement in customer satisfaction, new-car-unit sales volume, business management, customer follow-up, sales and service training. In 2003, 61 Acura dealerships earned the Precision Team Dealer of Distinction status.

Acura dealerships that received the 2003 Precision Team Dealer of Distinction status realize what this honor demands - excellence, which can only be achieved by working as a team. The status reflects a total commitment to customers. it is the highest praise that an Acura dealership can receive because it demands the highest personal investment and stimulates the greatest results - satisfied, loyal customers.
When you do a dealer locate search at acura.com for your area, look for a dealership with this icon next to their name:
Old 04-18-2004, 07:57 AM
TLover

tell them thet since they screwd up and you have to wait they should throw in some goodies, like a decklid or/and a front spoiler. b/c if they are telling the truth they should have relized it before and got a new one in time for your promissed date, or should at leased have called you. it looks to me like they saw the scratches and were hoping to get rid of it by you not realizing. they picked the wrong guy LOL.
Old 04-18-2004, 09:53 AM
Three Wheelin'

The dealer screwed up here for sure. Three scratched rims and several body scratches? What the heck did they do - put the car through a mechanical car wash? Or, if the car actually arrived at the dealership in that condition, then you have to wonder what the heck is going on in Acura's delivery system.

Either way, good for you for holding your ground! Here's hoping they get you a nice new un-f'ed-up TL soon!
Old 04-18-2004, 01:41 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 66 Likes on 28 Posts
It's included

Originally Posted by Jss1
Ever wonder why you pay so much for pre delivery inspection? Sounds like they aren't doing their job.
Jss: If you read the bottom right hand portion of your factory sticker, you will see the MSRP and a little note under it that says "Including standard Dealer Preparation."

If the dealer trys to double charge you AGAIN for pre delilvery inspection, scream "Rape!" He's just trying to increase his profit.
Old 04-18-2004, 08:26 PM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by lilirish
and how much longer u have to wait

Will hopefully have the car sometime this week! :banghead:
Old 04-18-2004, 08:58 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by xpditor42
Jss: If you read the bottom right hand portion of your factory sticker, you will see the MSRP and a little note under it that says "Including standard Dealer Preparation."
You are still paying them to INSPECT the car. Not sure if its included in Canada but regardless of that I still say if they can't even pick up scratches that a customer can see then they aren't doing their job.
Old 04-18-2004, 09:26 PM
Intermediate

Smile

i just took delivery of my reordered black navi tl saturday. the first on had a flaw on the hood buff marks every where as well as etchings in the clear coat. there was no way i was going to be happy. i even stopped payment on check and had my lawyer call. they were eager to say reorder if you want a different one. took 4 weeks. plus 1 week tint. no swirls scratches or flaws. just finished the zaino process lot of work initially . after first z2 and z6 the next 2 coats were easy. will do 2 more tomorrow . it looks great. so look the next one over real good. also got door edge guards thrown in on this one.