Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Guy Gets The Best of Me (Literally)

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2007, 04:46 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Guy Gets The Best of Me (Literally)

I am a working mother, and a college student, this accident is creating me years of stress to come.

Ok, I was driving to college and a Mexican guy hit my car. It is already determined that their insurance should cover it.

Problem is the Mexican guy does not own the car, he does not have a CA ID, he does not have a drivers License, and the car owner has no insurance either. Worst of all they both have no money.

State farm already concluded that my 06 red TL will be reimbursed to up to 3500 only through some "uninsured drivers program" I have insurance where I will be covered if it was not my faulty. I do not understand why state farm claims they can only cover 3500 and that I basically have to pay the rest of the money myself that I do not have. Even if I sue the Mexican person and the owner of the car, they have no money.

What is the best thing for me to do? Is state farm lying to me? How do I get the car fixed? I called state farm and all they tell me is that they will be only able to give me 3500 if the car owner has no insurance and if the guy driving has no insurance.

Conclusion: I lose money when I got it.

Mexican guy with no license/california ID gets away (was not even arrested) and owner ends up not having to pay either since they both have no money.

I know the world is unfair but this is my first accident and this seems REALLY REALLY unfair that my insurance only covers 3500 for me. (even though I bought the cheapest insurance state farm offers, i think its called one way)

Please someone with insights of any type please help me. This is giving me a lot of stress. $500 dollars is a fortune to me at this moment, so I can not know how I can even pay this off if it comes to that...

(and this TL was given to me by my mother as her present she left behind..."
Old 01-08-2007, 05:01 PM
Racer

whats the damage $ on the car??
Old 01-08-2007, 05:02 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,181 Likes on 1,210 Posts
wow- sorry to hear about that.
Old 01-08-2007, 05:10 PM
Retired and Loving It

Ask Gohawk, he's an insurance guy. Maybe he can give you some advice.
Old 01-08-2007, 05:18 PM
Trucki!!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
That just means when you bought that thing called UM/UIM in your insurance policy you agreed to $3500 as your limit. In CA that seems to be the norm, but that is different from State to State. It was $10k in Indiana when I lived there. This is why people need to read and ask questions on there Auto policy. I have my UM/UIM limits at $10k here in San Diego for that reason (illegals/ hit & runs everywhere), also repairs can be around that prior to being totaled.........for our cars value.

All in all sorry to here what happened to you, but you are liable for the repairs above the $3,500.
Old 01-08-2007, 05:19 PM
Registered TL Owner

Received 95 Likes on 62 Posts
I'm not mexican, but could you please leave his race out of this. I do not appreciate the repeated use of his race in the entire post.

I am sorry to hear about your loss. I also understand that you don't like him. The post would be just as effective, if not more, if you wouldn't have referred to him as the "mexican guy" the whole time.

Thanks!
Old 01-08-2007, 05:20 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,993 Likes on 1,416 Posts
ca you psot the details on the policy, also did you have full coverage or liabiltiy?
Old 01-08-2007, 05:25 PM
I love cars!

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by pnoi521
I'm not mexican, but could you please leave his race out of this. I do not appreciate the repeated use of his race in the entire post.

I am sorry to hear about your loss. I also understand that you don't like him. The post would be just as effective, if not more, if you wouldn't have referred to him as the "mexican guy" the whole time.

Thanks!
Good point. People of various races drive uninsured/unlicensed; being Mexican makes it no more or less an awful occurrence.
Old 01-08-2007, 05:26 PM
05 C230K & 09 135i 6MT

Thanks!

I was embarrassed for her, as her ignorance was shining very brightly in her repeated "mexican" this and "mexican" that. Who gives a shit what race he was?

A guy hit your car who has no insurance and no money. This is why you have Uninsured Motorist on your policy. It is your responsibility, and your's alone, to see that you have a sufficient limit to cover the loss of your car and possibly bodily injury to you should you be hit by an uninsured motorist. The underlying racist tone of the post took away what little sympathy I would have had for this.
Old 01-08-2007, 05:33 PM
'02 NBP TL-S

Okay the guy was mexican. She's allowed to describe the perp. And for the record, last time I checked there are over 4.9 million mexicans in this country illegally, 70% of all illegal immigrants are mexican.....

All this according to CNN.com.

Im not racist I just have a serious problem with the whole illegal immigrant thing. This kind of shit is uncalled for....
Old 01-08-2007, 05:37 PM
Registered Member

Received 162 Likes on 102 Posts
"Mexican" is not a race.. it is a nationality, so she was not referring to someone's race in her post.
Old 01-08-2007, 05:37 PM
Registered TL Owner

So when did this turn into an illegal immigrant issue?

I was just pointing out that she didn't have to bring up his race as much as she did.

The point is that it may be offending to others, especailly if they are of Mexican decent. I am filipino and it offended me.
Old 01-08-2007, 05:38 PM
Registered TL Owner

Originally Posted by SouthernBoy
"Mexican" is not a race.. it is a nationality, so she was not referring to someone's race in her post.
O-M-G I'm sooo sorry. Nationality. Happy?
Old 01-08-2007, 05:38 PM
I love cars!

Thumbs down

Originally Posted by Frazman
Okay the guy was mexican. She's allowed to describe the perp. And for the record, last time I checked there are over 4.9 million mexicans in this country illegally, 70% of all illegal immigrants are mexican.....

All this according to CNN.com.

Im not racist I just have a serious problem with the whole illegal immigrant thing. This kind of shit is uncalled for....
You're REALLY missing it. His race was SOOO relevant to the story that she leads the thread title with it? Did she say he was illiegal? Nope. She said he didn't have ID.

MY suggestion to the poster is to fix the TL and sell it for something cheaper and more in line with the budget....seriously.
Old 01-08-2007, 05:43 PM
Registered TL Owner

Ehem: according to dictionary.com

na·tion·al·i·ty [nash-uh-nal-i-tee]
–noun, plural -ties for 1, 2, 5, 6. 1. the status of belonging to a particular nation, whether by birth or naturalization: the nationality of an immigrant.

race
noun 1. a group of persons related by common descent or heredity.
2. a population so related
5. any people united by common history, language, cultural traits, etc.: the Dutch race
Old 01-08-2007, 05:44 PM
I love cars!

Funny. I'm *fairly* certain you know she MEANT his ethnicity. She just used the vernacular for Hispanic. It's a fair assumption that by "Mexican" she intended to convey his Latino heritage.

I teach my kids that if race isn't relevant, just leave it out. That does NOTHING for race relations, and it's just focusing on the wrong thing. Let's talk about the accident, not whether the guy was cute ugly or was from Guatemala or Utah.
Old 01-08-2007, 05:45 PM
Registered TL Owner

according to dictionary.com

na·tion·al·i·ty [nash-uh-nal-i-tee]
–noun, plural -ties for 1, 2, 5, 6. 1. the status of belonging to a particular nation, whether by birth or naturalization: the nationality of an immigrant.

race
noun 1. a group of persons related by common descent or heredity.
2. a population so related
5. any people united by common history, language, cultural traits, etc.: the Dutch race
Old 01-08-2007, 05:46 PM
Pro

Received 68 Likes on 33 Posts
Originally Posted by HelloKitty80
REALLY unfair that my insurance only covers 3500 for me. (even though I bought the cheapest insurance state farm offers, i think its called one way)
I know you don't want to hear this but I believe State Farm is correct. Uninsured Motorist coverage is typically for bodily injury only. Your comprehensive (collision) insurance would cover the damage to your vehicle caused by the uninsured motorist; however, you decided to go with the minimum insurance required meaning you don't have comprehensive/collision. My guess is that you're in CA, and if that's the case, the uninsured motorist property coverage in your policy is limited to $3500. It should all be spelled out in your policy. Sorry...
Old 01-08-2007, 05:48 PM
Not a dude.

HelloKitty: I'm really sorry about your car. It must have been a very frightening experience for you. No one likes to have a car crash. I hope that the damage to your car isn't too extensive and that you weren't hurt.

However, I do have to agree with some of the people who have posted before me that your referring to the guy who hit you as a "mexican guy" is racist and ugly. Please don't do that. Focus on what's important: your child, your schooling, your job, and getting your car fixed (pretty much in that order).

Based on what you said in your post, you are driving around without adequate insurance and you didn't even know it. Just because you have enough insurance to get your car registered doesn't mean it's enough! Please take the time to learn about car insurance and what all the different coverages are.

Buying the "cheapest policy they offer" isn't usually the best idea, especially if you don't understand the policy until it's too late. State Farm isn't going to pay out any more money than the policy says they have to, I'm afraid. I'm sorry that you had to learn this life lesson the hard way.
Old 01-08-2007, 05:49 PM
I love cars!

This is something everyone should do: read the fine print on their policy (including me) I just know I try to keep the coverages up well beyond what I could afford to pay in an accident..otherwise what's the point of paying premiums?

How bad is the TL damaged?
Old 01-08-2007, 05:52 PM
05 C230K & 09 135i 6MT

The point of all this is that it was irrelevant. She should NOT have repeatedly referred to him as that "mexican guy". She sounded like an ignorant hick.

There is really no point to this thread at all. It was a bad situation, yes. It was one she was not prepared for.

We're all very sorry about your predicament. However, there is nothing we can do. End of story.
Old 01-08-2007, 05:53 PM
Senior Moderator
Regions Leader

Received 205 Likes on 128 Posts
Originally Posted by 03CoupeV6
The point of all this is that it was irrelevant. She should NOT have repeatedly referred to him as that "mexican guy". She sounded like an ignorant hick.

There is really no point to this thread at all. It was a bad situation, yes. It was one she was not prepared for.

We're all very sorry about your predicament. However, there is nothing we can do. End of story.
Let me tell you this since I have you all here. THE next person who personally attacks anyone gets a warning then a ban.
Old 01-08-2007, 05:58 PM
nnInn

Received 1,084 Likes on 646 Posts
She sounded like an ignorant hick.

So what she did was wrong, but it's ok for you to call her a hick?

From Wikipedia ...

Hick (also country hick or country bumpkin) is a derogatory term for a person from a rural area.
Old 01-08-2007, 05:59 PM
Godfather of Chrome

Location: Santa Cruz, and yes I'm a hippie with retro 1970s sideburns and a chrome fetish
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I was embarrassed for her, as her ignorance was shining very brightly in her repeated "mexican" this and "mexican" that. Who gives a shit what race he was?
Interesting remark from someone who has an avatar that looks like this: That's all I'm saying.
Old 01-08-2007, 06:01 PM
Godfather of Chrome

Location: Santa Cruz, and yes I'm a hippie with retro 1970s sideburns and a chrome fetish
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
But I will agree that nationality has nothing to do with this unfortunate incident.

It's just too bad this post turned into some sort of "who has better morals than the author of this thread?" type of thread.
Old 01-08-2007, 06:01 PM
Registered TL Owner

Originally Posted by jupitersolo
So what she did was wrong, but it's ok for you to call her a hick?

From Wikipedia ...

Hick (also country hick or country bumpkin) is a derogatory term for a person from a rural area.

I agree. It was not ok for him to call her that. By calling her that you defeated the purpose becuase using racial slurrs is worse than her bringing up his race repeatedly.
Old 01-08-2007, 06:03 PM
Registered Member

O-M-G I'm sooo sorry. Nationality. Happy?
Listen, I'm not trying to get into a pissing contest with anyone.. just pointing out a statement of fact. Historically, there are 5 races in the world: caucasion, negroid, yellow, red, and eskimo. All humans fit into these racial classifications.

That's all.. nothing mean spirited or anything of the kind. Just a simple fact.
Old 01-08-2007, 06:08 PM
Racer

Ok I think everyone went on a big tangent on this discussion. The topic is "Is there any way to help her out in her situation?" Let's try to stay on topic again shall we?
Old 01-08-2007, 06:12 PM
Registered Member

Originally Posted by trancemission
Let me tell you this since I have you all here. THE next person who personally attacks anyone gets a warning then a ban.
Well that would be a first.

Not picking on you, friend because you know you and I have had some interesting postings together. But there certainly is a whole lot of overt and covert (as in inuendo) name calling on this site. And most of it seems to come from people who believe themselves to be open-minded and accepting.

In the instance case here at hand, I have to wonder if as much would have been made of her post had she had an accident with a German.. or perhaps a Canadian? My guess is no.

Clearly the lady has had a very trying experience and personally, I don't blame her is she is a bit upset about the whole thing. Perhaps we all could lighten up a bit and cut some slack.
Old 01-08-2007, 06:13 PM
I love cars!

The topic is that SHE was off-topic; look at the thread title. There is no way to help her. She bought a specific policy that left her with inadequate coverage. About all that can be done is to take up a collection. Judging from the other posts in this thread, that ain't gonna happen.
Old 01-08-2007, 06:20 PM
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Well I'm sorry that happened to you. There are plenty of people driving around without insurance. (White, black, latino) Granted there is a trend in one direction. In GA he would of got arrested if he couldn't prove insurance.

Try to look at the bright side (you weren't hurt). Atleast not bad enough to keep you from typing. I know a couple people that have been hit by uninsured motorists, and were not as lucky as you.

About the $3500... Have you read your policy? Did they give you any paperwork saying uninsured only covers $3500?? I want to know because I have state farm too, and I'd hate to think they would stick a long time customer with something like that without telling you up front what your buying.
Old 01-08-2007, 06:25 PM
Banned

have some sympathy people

It does not sound as if she is hating on mexicans, she is simply just stating what race the person is.. She meant no harm and also... take note that the police did not even arrest the person (who is mexican) that did not have ID or license. If you were her, you would be frustrated too (500 is a fortune to her she claims) Also think about it if she really was just trying to express her point of illegle immigrants getting away with things that they should not get away with? The person who had no license is going to suffer nothing... the owner of the car is going to suffer nothing, do you guys think this is fair?
Old 01-08-2007, 06:26 PM
Senior Moderator
Regions Leader

Well that would be a first.

Not picking on you, friend because you know you and I have had some interesting postings together. But there certainly is a whole lot of overt and covert (as in inuendo) name calling on this site. And most of it seems to come from people who believe themselves to be open-minded and accepting.

SB you know we do our best to keep it civil here in 3G. They are a little more lenient in Ramblings, its more a place that people can let their hair down a bit.

But AcuraZine does not condone personal attacks at all. We may have missed some, the mods cant be everywhere.

As far as this thread goes, you are correct fast-tl, it is a bit off topic. But being that she is new here and she does own an 06 TL Ill let this one go.

If you cant post any input then dont post at all. Ill change the thread title and remove the mexican reference...
Old 01-08-2007, 06:30 PM
Racer

If her policy states that they will only cover up to a certain amount, in her case $3500, then that is the amount she will get. It should be outlined in the policy statement you receive every 6 months or so (I get mine every 6months).

The only thing that I can think of doing now is to ask some of your more car-savvy friends to see if they know anyone that own's a car bodyshop that can give you a discounted rate for repairs. Sorry to hear about the unfortunate accident but on the bright side, you came out uninjured so that is always a plus.

Good luck with the repairs.
Old 01-08-2007, 06:31 PM
Senior Moderator
Regions Leader

is there a reason we keep calling her she? I must have missed something

for some reason Im thinking spam.....dunno....
Old 01-08-2007, 06:37 PM
Not a dude.

is there a reason we keep calling her she? I must have missed something ...
Yep, you missed the first line of her post:

Originally Posted by HelloKitty80
I am a working mother ...
Troll? Possibly. Who knows? But I doubt it.
Old 01-08-2007, 06:41 PM
nnInn

Received 1,084 Likes on 646 Posts
Originally Posted by fast-tl
The topic is that SHE was off-topic; look at the thread title. There is no way to help her. She bought a specific policy that left her with inadequate coverage. About all that can be done is to take up a collection. Judging from the other posts in this thread, that ain't gonna happen.

This is a good lesson, I'll need to recheck my policy, but it think I very covered for this way above the norm. The pisser is that the guy that hits her, gets away scott free (I don't mean to offend anyone named scott).

California just passed a law that insurance companies have to report to the CA. DMV when someone doesn't have insurance. Trying to make it harder for this to happen. They have the toughest insurance laws in the country. For the police to let him go is unreal, he broke a few laws.
Old 01-08-2007, 06:41 PM
Senior Moderator
Regions Leader

Originally Posted by rt4563
Yep, you missed the first line of her post
doh! thanks rt..

dunno, just seems weird for a first post. But lets see if she comes back..
Old 01-08-2007, 06:44 PM
Registered Member

SB you know we do our best to keep it civil here in 3G. They are a little more lenient in Ramblings, its more a place that people can let their hair down a bit.

But AcuraZine does not condone personal attacks at all. We may have missed some, the mods cant be everywhere.

As far as this thread goes, you are correct fast-tl, it is a bit off topic. But being that she is new here and she does own an 06 TL Ill let this one go.

If you cant post any input then dont post at all. Ill change the thread title and remove the mexican reference...
Lenient in Ramblings? How about outright bigots parading there. You can tell from my handle from what part of the country I hail. Seems there are a bunch on Ramblings who believe anyone from the South barely walks upright. Frankly, my mom didn't raise me to treat people like that. Perhaps it's my "Southern" upbringing.
Old 01-08-2007, 06:48 PM
Safety Car

Received 81 Likes on 50 Posts
So yea back on topic.......

Quick Reply: Guy Gets The Best of Me (Literally)