3G TL (2004-2008)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

GUIDE: How to buy from remote dealer.

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2004, 09:04 AM
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation GUIDE: How to buy from remote dealer.

For the benefit of everyone who wants to buy from a remote (out-of-state) dealer, here's a little checklist of how to do things right and protect yourself from nasty surprises:

1. Get the price of the car in writing! And not just some hand-written note. The dealership should be willing to fax/mail you a contract showing the purchase price of the car, cost of any options (such as protection package), list of any accessories that will be on the car, AND ANY AND ALL fees (such as documentation fee). Fees are typically already pre-printed on the contract.

2. If they're selling you a vehicle for which they already have a VIN number, the contract should include that number.

3. Make sure that the deposit you make on the vehicle is fully refundable.

4. DO NOT bring a trade-in to a remote dealer. That's the way to trap yourself. I sold my previous car to CarMax - a large chain of used-car stores on the East coast.

5. If financing, apply for financing with the dealership at least 3-4 days before you go there. GET THE INTEREST RATE IN WRITING! If the interest rate is not what you want it to be, arrange for financing well before you come to a dealership. Use www.bankrate.com to locate the best interest rate.

6. Ask the dealer how your state's registration/taxes will be handled. Will they give you a temp permit from the state where the dealership is located? How much will this permit cost (it was free for me)? Is the dealer required to collect taxes for the state where the dealership is located?

7. Ask the dealer what documents you need to bring with you. If you're financing with Honda Finance, you will be asked for a recent paystub. In most states you will be asked to provide proof of insurance. And in some states (like NJ) you will be required to add your new vehicle to your insurance policy BEFORE you pick up the car. Your insurance company can fax proof of insurance directly to the dealer.

8. If you're thinking of buying extended warranty, get an on-line qute from www.curryacuracare.com and bring it with you. Better yet, negotiate the price of extended warranty using this quote in advance. You should know who your finance buy is going to be and talk to him in advance.

I think that's the most important things. Hope this helps someone.
Old 01-20-2004, 09:49 AM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Great advice.