Got a TL today: Upkeep Question

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2004 | 10:29 PM
Racer

Got a TL today: Upkeep Question

Sorry if this really dumb question or what not but I just want to make sure I'm well informed on my car.

What should I be doing as in upkeep? (interior, exterior, engine, etc.)

My friend is really into detailing and he said no wash/wax for a month at least. I also read in the manual basically that I should take it easy until 600 miles.

I plan to use Meguiar's Leather Conditioner...etc...

So yeah...
Old 08-27-2004 | 10:37 PM
Instructor

My friend is really into detailing and he said no wash/wax for a month at least.
Now I can understand no wax, but no wash for a month? I think dirt and tar are bigger issues. In addition, my dealer washed my car for the first two times. I know one of those two times was about two weeks after I got it.

I don't have a lot of experience breaking in cars but I think you should take it easy for the first 600-1000 miles. Don't floor it. Get a good mix of Hwy miles and idle time. You do that and it will last longer.

I had my dealer treat the paint and added leather treatment.

And... congrats on your new car!
Old 08-27-2004 | 10:46 PM
Banned

wash and wax away. paint is cured by the time you get it !!!

i use EagleOne brand of wipe&shine and wax-as-u-dry. W&S more often to clean dust/bugs off, WauD i use as a spritz wax about once every 2 weeks. every month or so i lighly wax with Meguiars. this method (for me) is easy and keeps the car nice and shiny and protected.

for interior i keep a micro fiber rag and i wipe off stuff everytime i get in. leather seats need a small amount of conditioner (i use Lexol) every 3 months. a vacuum about 2 weeks for me.

for glass, i use Invisible Glass to clean, then i use RainX.

for tires i use Mothers vinyl/plastic/rubber conditioner (red spray bottle), it leaves rubber like new, and has no residue to attract dirt or brown the tire...
Old 08-28-2004 | 06:26 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by cvajs
wash and wax away. paint is cured by the time you get it !!!

i use EagleOne brand of wipe&shine and wax-as-u-dry. W&S more often to clean dust/bugs off, WauD i use as a spritz wax about once every 2 weeks. every month or so i lighly wax with Meguiars. this method (for me) is easy and keeps the car nice and shiny and protected.

for interior i keep a micro fiber rag and i wipe off stuff everytime i get in. leather seats need a small amount of conditioner (i use Lexol) every 3 months. a vacuum about 2 weeks for me.

for glass, i use Invisible Glass to clean, then i use RainX.

for tires i use Mothers vinyl/plastic/rubber conditioner (red spray bottle), it leaves rubber like new, and has no residue to attract dirt or brown the tire...

how do you like the invisible glass? i have been using the honda glass cleaner and i have always found it to be good...
Old 08-28-2004 | 09:11 AM
CLS 6MT Navi

I've learned the most important aspect of paint care is the supplies you use, esp the wash mitt and towels. Use those thick all cotton covered sponges/mits, and microfiber towels to dry. The less wiping of the paint the better. Use the drip rinse method, let the water hose slowly run on the car when rinsing, this will allow the water to sheet off esp when you get good wax on it and you end up with much less water to dry off, try it it works.
Old 08-28-2004 | 09:29 AM
Instructor

when u get a good wax, water beads it does NOT sheet off
Old 08-28-2004 | 02:40 PM
Racer

I use Swiffers (the dry kind) for dusting inside. No sprays/cleaners of any kind, just water if needed. We clean the leather with the same stuff I have for my couch (came from the manufacturer). Mr Clean Magic Eraser dampened with water is superb for getting scuff marks (from shoes) off the plastic bits, but be careful around other surfaces.

Never EVER put plastic grocery bags or documents on the leather seats - the ink will transfer and is a swine to remove - learned that from experience. Always put them on the floor.

When I got my 2K TL, I was advised not to use Cruise for the first 1,000 miles (not hard - I never use it anyway!).

I won't discuss my exterior cleaning habits as these guys will form a angry mob and chase me out of town.... Let's just say I'm handicapped by desert conditions, an ongoing drought, and I haven't washed a car by hand since December (soft-top Jeep).