Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Got a ticket for tinted windows

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2005, 03:42 AM
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Got a ticket for tinted windows

Live in the LA area, got stopped tonight and got an "equipment violation" for tinted front passenger and driver side windows (35%). Am wondering: do I have the windows stripped, signed off, and then have the tint re-done, or should I just ignore it and take my chances? Anyone else get caught? Got to have tint all around. It just looks too good.
Old 01-20-2005, 03:46 AM
Team Anthracite Webmaster

wow, first time i've heard of this happening for a TL in LA area. i think you need to take off front two windows and get it cleared. you could also get the same car, swap the plates, and hope they dont check the VIN's.
Old 01-20-2005, 05:43 AM
Registered TL Lover

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
If you got it tinted in LA you should take it back to the people who did the tint because they should have not given you tint that would give you a ticket not only should they redo it they should pay for your ticket but thats MHO
Old 01-20-2005, 06:32 AM
I'm Baaack!

Originally Posted by RJANACONDA
... not only should they redo it they should pay for your ticket but thats MHO
No way will a tint place be held responsible .. I can guarantee that they have a sign in the shop identifying the legal limit on tint for front windows. I'm sure they also have a disclaimer that the owner tint at his own risk and they limit their liability.

Get the tint cleared and checked, have the ticket cleared, then if you want to get it re-tinted go for it, but realize that if the ticket was given to you locally, the cop now knows what your car looks like and will get really pissed if he sees you out there again with the same infraction that he's already written you on. (In short you could be a marked man)

Good luck .. let us know what you end up doing!
Old 01-20-2005, 07:54 AM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by RJANACONDA
If you got it tinted in LA you should take it back to the people who did the tint because they should have not given you tint that would give you a ticket not only should they redo it they should pay for your ticket but thats MHO
lol that's not gonna happen. To the thread starter, you have to strip the tint off, and see if you want to redo it after they check.

yeah I've been pull over for tinting the front windows two times
Old 01-20-2005, 08:47 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
the shop I went to won't even give you a receipt if you go under legal, has to be a cash transaction because they CAN be held liable.
Old 01-20-2005, 09:39 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
That sucks, never heard of anyone that got pulled over for just their tint... but then again you're in LA.... Anything that has to do with cars is a lot of strict.
Old 01-20-2005, 09:52 AM
Cruisin'

I recently got a ticket for my tint on the front also... But I got pulled over for speeding between Las Vegas and Phoenix.

I have Limo tint all around, have on all my cars and have never had a problem. What I usually do is if I see that I am being pulled over, I automatically put both my front windows all the way down. The officer never sees the windows, so I never get in trouble.

Well this time It was butt ass cold and a little snowy outside, so I only put the drivers window down thinking he was just going to come up on the driver side. Well he couldnt see me I guess, so he yelled out "Driver! Let me see your hands" damn.... So he saw the other window because he couldnt see through it. I dont see anywhere on this thing saying that I have to prove that it was removed, I dont even see that there is a fine involved. Its for Kingman though, so I just have to mail it in. hmm

I dont want to strip these damn windows.... grrrr.
Old 01-20-2005, 10:31 AM
Cruisin'

Good advice on tinting front windows

Thanks, guys, for all the comments. I think I am going to take Brewmaster's advice: have the tint removed, then cleared (it is only $10 processing fee with the court), then have the tint put back on. Big hassle, but I cannot imagine my Anthracite TL without tinted windows. The cop mentioned that I could take a chance and ignore the ticket, but the fine is pretty significant if I get caught again. PS: I was warned it was illegal when I took it to get tinted.
Old 01-20-2005, 10:47 AM
Intermediate

don't forget that in CA, fix-it tickets go up exponentially. My fiancée's brother has limo tint on his Benz and got pulled over for a second time. the fine in the mail was $150 regardless of him bringing it in. For the third offense, it is like $500 from what I hear.
Old 01-20-2005, 10:58 AM
Cruisin'

Nevermind, Just found out in Arizona its just a repair "warning" or whatever. You dont have to prove you fixed it and there is no fine involved. Whew...

Sorry for all you in Cali
Old 01-20-2005, 11:15 AM
Cruisin'

hey bro, sorry that you got a ticket. I'm a cop in L.A. but I'm currently acitivated in the Marine Corps. Anyways the Sheriffs are the only ones that could sign off the ticket. Let me see if I can get in contact with one of my sheriff buddies and see if I can help you out.
Old 01-20-2005, 11:34 AM
Intermediate

Where'd you go to get the tint job done. . .did you like their work. . .how much.

Another Anthracite TL owner in LA here - lookin to get it done.

Thanks -

TL-Mike
Old 01-20-2005, 12:11 PM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by nsl10r
hey bro, sorry that you got a ticket. I'm a cop in L.A. but I'm currently acitivated in the Marine Corps. Anyways the Sheriffs are the only ones that could sign off the ticket. Let me see if I can get in contact with one of my sheriff buddies and see if I can help you out.
Thanks for the help...........let me know if that works out. I've got till the beginning of March to take care of this.
Old 01-20-2005, 12:15 PM
aw1
Pro

my friend got issued 2 tickets (1 for each front window) in nyc for having 35% tint on his tsx. instead of having them removed, he dropped by a acura dealer and took pictures of another tsx with same color paint. he mailed it in and the tickets where reduced to $5 each. paying $10 for 2 tickets is a lot cheaper than paying someone to remove the tint and putting it back later on. good luck
Old 01-20-2005, 12:38 PM
CEO, Team Anthracite

Originally Posted by aw1
my friend got issued 2 tickets (1 for each front window) in nyc for having 35% tint on his tsx. instead of having them removed, he dropped by a acura dealer and took pictures of another tsx with same color paint. he mailed it in and the tickets where reduced to $5 each. paying $10 for 2 tickets is a lot cheaper than paying someone to remove the tint and putting it back later on. good luck
Hahahaha, that's hilarious (But fraudulent!)
Old 01-20-2005, 12:41 PM
Instructor

Thats something i would do, i love you guys, sometimes i think we were all on the same planet before they brought us here to drive TL's.
Old 01-20-2005, 03:14 PM
Advanced

I was also told by the tint shop that it's illegal to tint the front (other than the clear film) in CA. They told me they will remove the front tint for free if I get a ticket (knock on wood).

They advise me to go with a lighter tint (75% on the front) so it will show little better contrast with the back ones (30%)

I once got a fix-it ticket (with my previous car) in Los Gatos for a crack windshield. It was only 4 inches long. It was a hassle to get it clear. Small-town lawmen..................
Old 01-20-2005, 03:20 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by djs1145
Thanks, guys, for all the comments. I think I am going to take Brewmaster's advice: have the tint removed, then cleared (it is only $10 processing fee with the court), then have the tint put back on. Big hassle, but I cannot imagine my Anthracite TL without tinted windows. The cop mentioned that I could take a chance and ignore the ticket, but the fine is pretty significant if I get caught again. PS: I was warned it was illegal when I took it to get tinted.
In L.A. county I think you have to take it in to a Sheriff or CHP inspection station (not your regular station) and pay them something like $30 for writing off your fix it ticket. Then the court charges their own fees ($10). Ends up being like $40-$50 besides the time you have to spend driving there and waiting in line. I went through this once for clear corners. They don't make it easy.
Old 01-20-2005, 03:49 PM
Awesome to the Max

i heard you might not need to get tints removed...you might just need to pay the fine...
Old 01-20-2005, 06:52 PM
Weather Watcher

I once got pulled over for the tint on my previous '00 Accord. Had 21% all round, I think the cop had nothing better to do on that night, and I forgot to roll down my front windows as I normally did. He followed me to the gas station where I was going to fill up, waited for me to fill up blocking my exit while he ran my plates, wrote me the ticket and drove back to the station as it was almost midnight. Proved to me that he just needed to issue one ticket before he signed off for the night.

Anyhoo ...... two weeks later I went to court, in my new untinted SSM 04 TL and they had to throw out the ticket. You shoulda seen the look on his face when he saw I had a new car when he expected to see an Accord with the tint removed. (Of course I had been sneaky in court and told them I removed the tint) LOL. Needless to say my TL is now tinted 20% all round. We'll see how that goes. Knock on wood!
Old 01-20-2005, 07:09 PM
I'm in

Received 20 Likes on 5 Posts
I have 20% all around. The tint shop made me sign a waiver saying that I'm aware of tint law and that im responsible if i get stoped. Havent got stop yet...