Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Got my car back from the shop and found some nice surprises

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2012, 12:59 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 81 Likes on 74 Posts
Got my car back from the shop and found some nice surprises

I put my car in for a new clutch, they had it for 2 days.

Little things, broken cover clips, wire clips and harnesses not put back on. The harnesses I can put back on, the clips are broken, can only replace those.

Missing my intake cover and the battery cover
http://www.acuraoemparts.com/delray/...All&vinsrch=no

Looked underneath the car and yet another surprise. They scrapped my front bumper.
left side:

Center:

Right Side:

They found my intake cover, but were unable to find my battery cover. He said he'd buy me a new one when I stop by.....
Then I told him about the front scrapes and he was like "OH We owe you a new paint job too!"
I couldn't tell by his tone if he was genuine or sarcastic.
At the same time I don't know why I would need to stop by for him to buy me a new battery cover. If he was serious he should have it ordered and ready for me when I come by. The shop is 30 mins out from me, they told me to stop by Monday so they can see for themselves what it is I am telling them.
I'm hoping this shop owns up to what they did, but in my experience, shops will LIE and DENY.

I know I didn't scrape it, I washed and waxed it last weekend then took it to them Thursday. I had not scrapped the car in that time.

Last edited by Bruce Banner; 09-08-2012 at 01:02 PM.
Old 09-08-2012, 01:06 PM

Received 16,263 Likes on 11,973 Posts
sorry to hear bruce.
shops employ people. and people are only human.

the scrapes and covers arent really of any concern.
but the wire harnesses are!!!

the car wont run right with anything disconnected.
im surprised they didnt find them and fix them.

how does the clutch feel!?

i sure hope they gave you a warranty on it. as an improperly installed clutch could cause more damage
Old 09-08-2012, 01:06 PM
the overexplainer

Received 385 Likes on 337 Posts
want to post the name of the shop so we can avoid it?
Old 09-08-2012, 01:09 PM
Race Director

Received 3,824 Likes on 2,847 Posts
Well...one good thing is...if you get the A-Spec kit it will cover the scrapes up!
The following users liked this post:
HEAVY_RL (09-10-2012)
Old 09-08-2012, 01:12 PM

i say the scrapes are of little concern because most likely you cant see them.
i know, that this is your baby....but out of sight out of mind, right?

now if they are visible without looking underneath the car....
tclay77 (09-08-2012)
Old 09-08-2012, 01:17 PM
-Brandon

Received 221 Likes on 172 Posts
I agree with Justin about the scrapes. Yeah, it's an inconvenience, but a new paint job on the bumper could potentially mismatch your paint and look even worse. I have almost identical scrapes on the underside of my bumper from when my mom kissed the curb when she was parking.
Old 09-08-2012, 01:22 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by justnspace
sorry to hear bruce.
shops employ people. and people are only human.

the scrapes and covers arent really of any concern.
but the wire harnesses are!!!

the car wont run right with anything disconnected.
im surprised they didnt find them and fix them.

how does the clutch feel!?

i sure hope they gave you a warranty on it. as an improperly installed clutch could cause more damage
Thanks, sometimes I feel this car might be cursed..
I think I've connected everything back, it was a couple things luckily.
I know they probably don't get alot of TL's and our cars have all sorts of details.

New clutch is feeling pretty good, definitely has a different feel to it.

MI is a bit strange on warranty, I brought the parts myself. Most shops don't accept parts cause they want to markup the parts themselves. Since I brought my own parts he marked up labor to make up for his lost revenue on parts. I'm not happy with that, but it's what I'm stuck with out here in MI.
MI sucks when it comes to car repairs. back in Cali, any shop would have no issues taking your parts and charging you the regular labor rate.

I called and I wasn't angry or anything, just calmly told them things I discovered as I looked the car over. The broken clips on the engine bay covers pretty minor, they still go on so that's ok.

want to post the name of the shop so we can avoid it?
The place is called Ryans Auto Repair. It's in MI, so if you aren't in MI you are ok.

Well...one good thing is...if you get the A-Spec kit it will cover the scrapes up!
If they pay for it since they scrapped it, that'd be a cool solution.

i say the scrapes are of little concern because most likely you cant see them.
i know, that this is your baby....but out of sight out of mind, right?

now if they are visible without looking underneath the car....
I totally get that, and I was thinking of letting it go. At the same time, I didn't cause this. I know it happened after I gave it to them. They marked up labor on me for bringing my own parts, they cut me little slack on pricing.

I've been to this shop before with my previous Honda. I had a CB7 that they have worked on before. They've done pretty good, which is why I brought the TL to them.

I shouldn't have to pay out of pocket to fix these things that are their fault though.
justnspace (09-08-2012)
Old 09-08-2012, 01:28 PM
Team Owner

Received 6,470 Likes on 5,162 Posts
Bruce, I'd call the shop back, point out everything you've outlined here and let them take care of it for you.

Three weeks ago, I went to my dealership for something. The brought my car back around and I had two big scrapes on my brand new Aspec front lip underneath. I used touch-up paint to clean it up.
Old 09-08-2012, 01:28 PM

correct, it looks like you handled/handling it !!

good luck, sir!
Bruce Banner (09-08-2012)
Old 09-08-2012, 01:40 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Steven Bell
Bruce, I'd call the shop back, point out everything you've outlined here and let them take care of it for you.

Three weeks ago, I went to my dealership for something. The brought my car back around and I had two big scrapes on my brand new Aspec front lip underneath. I used touch-up paint to clean it up.
Yeah I called at first to say, I was missing the intake cover. They called back while I was still looking over the car and I told them next thing I noticed was the battery cover. They called back like 30mins later said they couldn't find it asked me who installed the battery, they were thinking maybe somebody else took it out. I put the battery in like 2 weeks ago myself, I put that cover back on so it really struck me to see that battery so exposed. While he was on the phone I told him, I just saw the scrapes under the front bumper. That's when he said 'OH we owe you a new paint job!" This is where I wasn't sure if he was being sarcastic. He wanted to see for themselves all these things, which is understandable. He said bring it in Monday, so I'll do that and hoping this is an honest enough shop to take responsibility for what happened while they had the car.
justnspace (09-08-2012)
Old 09-08-2012, 01:55 PM
Team Owner

Good! Best of luck-let us know you that conversation goes.
Bruce Banner (09-08-2012)
Old 09-09-2012, 12:29 AM
Pro

Received 47 Likes on 39 Posts
What all did you have done/replaced? Clutch kit, flywheel, pilot bearing, throwout bearing, etc.?

Did they make sure to set the self-adjusting mechanism on the pressure plate by compressing the diaphragm springs and locking the keys?

The Honda/Acura dealers will use a special tool, but a hydraulic shop press seems to work also.

Last edited by gwiffer; 09-09-2012 at 12:31 AM.
Old 09-09-2012, 12:36 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by gwiffer
What all did you have done/replaced? Clutch kit, flywheel, pilot bearing, throwout bearing, etc.?

Did they make sure to set the self-adjusting mechanism on the pressure plate by compressing the diaphragm springs and locking the keys?

The Honda/Acura dealers will use a special tool, but a hydraulic shop press seems to work also.
Had a clutch, fly, throw bearing, main seal and lower ball joints done.

I don't know how they did it exactly for install.

Side note: Anyone know if part #21 is purchasable on that parts list?
Old 09-10-2012, 07:47 PM
Burning Brakes

Went back to the shop today. I brought with me the battery diagram.

He had the intake cover and he tried to put it on for me, but he had a hard time. I said it was cool, I can put it back on later. I showed him the diagram and told him the #21 piece was missing. He said ok, he'll order that for me.
Then we looked at the scrapes, he asked me if I was sure it wasn't there before. I explained I'm positive, I had waxed the car labor day weekend and you can still see the wax I didn't buff off. The scraping clearly happened after the wax and I have not scraped this car since Saturday.
He tried to think of how it could happened, but couldn't explain it. He did offer to have it repaired with a body guy that he knows. Sounds like some guy/friend he knows, but not a shop for sure. He said I could bring it back when the body guy can come look at it. So it definitely sounds like a friend of his. He also said since it looks like the whole bumper could use a new paint job and it's hard to make it match, I could meet him 1/2 way on the cost to repaint the whole front. This sounded cool but I was skeptical about the quality of work and maybe he was saying that and paying 1/2 really ends up being like paying all of his friends discounted labor. (like his buddy will do him a favor and "1/2" really covers for the favor his friend is doing him).
I'd be content with an A-Spec lip covering it up, but I didn't want to make him think I was scamming. It looks like we'll have to discuss it more as to exactly how we want to resolve the scrapped bumper.
He seemed pretty good about the whole ordeal. He asked for my acura parts diagram and said he would order the part and get back to me with the part and to work on a day to drop off the car for his body friend to look at it.

On another sad note, I've been driving the car since I got it back. The new clutch engages much better, BUT my gear lock out issue is still unresolved. I drove through stop and go traffic to get to the shop today so I experienced many times difficulty getting into 2nd. I'm having issues with getting it to let me into 2nd and reverse, sometimes it won't let me into 1st even when below 10mph.
He seemed a bit baffled as to what it could be. I told him when I was driving to the shop in stop and go , I was repeatedly getting locked out of 2nd and at the shifter I heard a *bink* like a metal ring sound at the shifter. (I have a corsport shortshifter installed). I heard this *BINK* sound multiple times.
The next possible culprit he said could be the gear box.
This car is becoming a money pit nightmare since I bought it.
Anyone who might know the solution, please feel free to chime in.
I'll keep you guys updated on the situation.

Last edited by Bruce Banner; 09-10-2012 at 07:51 PM.
Old 09-10-2012, 09:02 PM
Pro

Received 34 Likes on 33 Posts
what do you mean people are only human? this is the type of shit that is unacceptable .. if they forgot to put the battery cover back on than yes they are only human.. but they fact they lost it and a bunch of other fuck ups... fuck them
Old 09-10-2012, 09:06 PM
Pro

Received 34 Likes on 33 Posts
Even the best shops like to cut corners.. period
Old 09-10-2012, 09:47 PM
Race Director

Received 2,316 Likes on 1,690 Posts
I agree with Justin - that was bad of them to scrape your bumper, but it's mostly underneath and think about it; the nicest cars on here all have some sort of scrapes at the bottom due to being low. Fact.

I agree with the A-Spec comment to cover it up =)

Sorry to hear though!
Old 09-10-2012, 11:54 PM
Series Motor's

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
That's plain ridiculous and I would have been irritated as hell. I hardly trust Acura, sorry to hear about your troubles, but you should always take photos of your vehicle for solid proof.

I have used an extremely high quality DSLR camera to have great resolution pictures of my vehicle all the way around cause my neighbors have issues =) [even under the car while it was lifted]
Old 09-15-2012, 09:45 AM
Burning Brakes

Going in for some resolution today, but something else bothers me.

I realized that my car actually has a pilot bearing in there and they didn't use the one supplied. I looked at the of flywheel, the pilot bearing is still in there....
Is it even possible to drive without that pilot bearing?
Old 09-15-2012, 01:45 PM
Burning Brakes

The resolution we came to was to put on the A-spec lip. He wasn't willing to pay the cost of the lip fully and wanted me to go 1/2 on it. He said his cost was $300, which I didn't believe since list is $310. In order to squash this whole ordeal I said fine. I wanted to put this behind me an move on with my life.
The part came in and I went in for the install today. I provided them the instructions and at first they weren't even using them. They called me in to have a look that it didn't totally cover up the scrapes, and that's when I saw the tech fumbling with the parts with idea how to install it. I was concerned, so I reiterated that I provided the instructions and the tech began to look at it. I was still concerned.

I had to hurry home after and after I got home I inspected the job.
I have gaps on the sides, doesn;t look like he followed the directions completely. There is this big gap where the lip is supposed to fold into the wheel well. Can anyone with a A-spec lip chime in and tell me if this looks right?

I put my finger back there, those screws aren't even really screwed into anything. That does not seem right.

Also, I'm pretty sure there is supposed to be some felt layering inside the wheel well isn't there?
Old 09-15-2012, 01:56 PM
Your Friendly Canadian

Received 1,485 Likes on 1,049 Posts
I'm having trouble understanding why you're still going to this shop after continuously finding more problems
Old 09-15-2012, 02:04 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Aman
I'm having trouble understanding why you're still going to this shop after continuously finding more problems
I don't want to, and I really wish I had put this on myself.
I'm not going to let them work on it further, but I want to know now how messed up the lip install is and was there supposed to be a fender lining there.(the rear has a wheel well lining) I think there is supposed to be a bracket in that gap.
I want the parts and I am done with them.

Last edited by Bruce Banner; 09-15-2012 at 02:08 PM.
Old 09-15-2012, 02:26 PM
Burning Brakes

Just looked at it again, the brackets are on, I guess it is supposed to be like that.

I guess the front wheel well isn't like the rears and dont have a felt?

Here are pics of the passenger side gap. Can I still fix this?

Here is how it all looks overall.

Old 09-15-2012, 02:34 PM
Race Director

Received 3,824 Likes on 2,847 Posts
Woah dude, that looks like shiet

I have slight gaps in mine but they are small, really small.

That's pretty bad :/
Old 09-15-2012, 02:36 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Undying Dreams
Woah dude, that looks like shiet

I have slight gaps in mine but they are small, really small.

That's pretty bad :/
Yeh it's like a rap star gap in his teeth. Anyone know how to fix that?
Old 09-15-2012, 03:15 PM
Race Director

The only way to fix it is to re-install it, which isn't hard...

Btw I want your chrome grill pieces so bad.
Old 09-15-2012, 03:20 PM
-Brian

Received 241 Likes on 167 Posts
why you didn't install this yourself after your experience is beyond me!!!
Old 09-15-2012, 03:23 PM
Engineer in Training

Received 127 Likes on 98 Posts
Looks like they didn't use all the double sided tape that comes on it. If you can heat it up a bit after removing the two screws on the inside of the fender well, release the clips and 10mm from underneath. You should be able to pull the corner of the lip out, remove the red vinyl covering the double sided tape (or add tape if it's missing, standard 3M "red" double sided tape) then press onto the bumper holding for at least 15-30 seconds and you should be fine.
Old 09-15-2012, 04:16 PM
2016 Acura TLX

Received 137 Likes on 89 Posts
Just re-do it yourself. It's not that hard. The shop was nice enough to pay for half of it while many others would have left you hanging. Don't be a prick and keep complaining to them.
Old 09-15-2012, 05:00 PM
Race Director

I think the main problem why it's not sitting flush is because the lip isn't perfectly centered with the bumper.

This causes one side not being able to sit in flush and wrap around the grill area, causing the gap, AND not allowing the tape to make contact.

There are 3 screws that are under the front lip right in the center (well, there's supposed to be) that make the job a little more than just clips and bolts and side screws.
TLtrigirl (09-15-2012)
Old 09-15-2012, 07:06 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Nexson
why you didn't install this yourself after your experience is beyond me!!!
I don't live in a place currently where I can freely work on my car. Back in the day when I lived in a place where I could, I would have said the same thing. I very much wanted to do it right myself. I'll probably drive to some parking lot somewhere now and work on it to adjust the fitment.

Looks like they didn't use all the double sided tape that comes on it. If you can heat it up a bit after removing the two screws on the inside of the fender well, release the clips and 10mm from underneath. You should be able to pull the corner of the lip out, remove the red vinyl covering the double sided tape (or add tape if it's missing, standard 3M "red" double sided tape) then press onto the bumper holding for at least 15-30 seconds and you should be fine.
I'm gonna loosen up the bolts and try to straighten it out.

Just re-do it yourself. It's not that hard. The shop was nice enough to pay for half of it while many others would have left you hanging. Don't be a prick and keep complaining to them.
I will fix it myself, I'm not going to be a prick. They messed up my car, speaking up about it was the right thing to do. This shop will not be seeing my car again, it's clear they don't know how to work on this car properly. Likely cause they don't see them often enough.

I think the main problem why it's not sitting flush is because the lip isn't perfectly centered with the bumper.

This causes one side not being able to sit in flush and wrap around the grill area, causing the gap, AND not allowing the tape to make contact.

There are 3 screws that are under the front lip right in the center (well, there's supposed to be) that make the job a little more than just clips and bolts and side screws.
Those 3 bottom ones in the center are in place. He became aware of those when I pointed out I had provided the instructions. Its popped out a bit more now that the adhesive is no longer partially sticking. If it's a case of not centered, I will see how much wiggle room there is to center it up.
Old 09-15-2012, 10:36 PM
Racer

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
I had the same problem with my lip not fitting as snug as I wanted it to. go to home depot and get some 3m double sided tape its thicker and stickier than whats provided with the oem install kit. I used that and it helped a lot but did not completely fix the gap. if you do some searching the actual type of 2 sided tape is listed in many post
Old 09-17-2012, 09:53 PM
Burning Brakes

I bought this at the store today, should I go with this or use the 3M automotive tape?

Old 09-17-2012, 10:14 PM
Team Owner

Bruce, when you quote someone, leave their name in there.
Old 09-17-2012, 10:16 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Steven Bell
Bruce, when you quote someone, leave their name in there.
How exactly do I do that when multi-quoting?
Old 09-18-2012, 08:51 AM
Safety Car

Received 1,120 Likes on 893 Posts
Bruce just add more double sided tape like 3M where all the gaps are at.
Old 09-18-2012, 08:54 AM
Racer

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by Bruce Banner
I bought this at the store today, should I go with this or use the 3M automotive tape?

I thought what I used was outdoor version. I thought it stated outdoor on the package but i don't remember. That looks like it though. be sure and use alcohol to clean the area really well.
Old 09-18-2012, 09:09 AM
Engineer in Training

Received 127 Likes on 98 Posts
Bruce, that looks thicker than what's used. You may end up with slight gap problems. This is what I was referring to earlier.

justnspace (09-18-2012)
Old 09-18-2012, 10:41 PM
Burning Brakes

I saw that at lowes too, the 20lb on this one struck me, so I snagged this one thinking it might be stronger.
I think the pic is deceiving, I just measured the thickness. This one is 1mm thick
Old 09-18-2012, 11:07 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 120 Likes on 93 Posts
How do you like it with only the lip and not the rest of the kit?

Quick Reply: Got my car back from the shop and found some nice surprises