Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Got engaged...going to have to sell my baby after only 3wks

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2004, 08:16 PM
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Got engaged...going to have to sell my baby after only 3wks

I was hoping some ppl could give me an idea of what to ask for my TL. I just got engaged and decided that I have to say goodbye to my baby for now. Yes, I should've thought this out ahead of time, but now I'm feelin' selfish.

I have a 6MT NBP/Ebony with NAVI, spoiler, and backup sensors. She only has 2000 miles on her.

I've been offered 31k, but was reluctant to entertain anything under 33.

Am I expecting too much?

I had it on ebay for 10days. It got 7000 hits, but never got over 30100

I'm in Jax, FL. I'm told there are only a handful of these color/option combos in the state.

Thanks for any suggestions.
Old 01-25-2004, 08:25 PM
Advanced

I suggest you rethink the engagement. Marriage is a great institution as long as you do not mind being institutionalized. Seriously there must be something better you can do other than sell a TL with 2k on it.
Old 01-25-2004, 08:27 PM
Burning Brakes

You must be kidding. Don't sell it. Just work harder.
Old 01-25-2004, 08:49 PM
never stops!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
What is the problem?

I do not understand what the problem you could be in after getting engaged. However, if you are, too bad to let go on TL.

When you get the car out of dealership it looses a lot of value. THough I think you can get $33 for sure if you've added some ccessories and backup sensors.
Old 01-25-2004, 08:54 PM
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
>> Got engaged...going to have to sell my baby after only 3wks

Congratulations. You've taken the first step in getting divorced.
Old 01-25-2004, 09:05 PM
Pro

Re: Got engaged...going to have to sell my baby after only 3wks

Originally posted by jphill0
I was hoping some ppl could give me an idea of what to ask for my TL. I just got engaged and decided that I have to say goodbye to my baby for now. Yes, I should've thought this out ahead of time, but now I'm feelin' selfish.

I have a 6MT NBP/Ebony with NAVI, spoiler, and backup sensors. She only has 2000 miles on her.

I've been offered 31k, but was reluctant to entertain anything under 33.

Am I expecting too much?

I had it on ebay for 10days. It got 7000 hits, but never got over 30100

I'm in Jax, FL. I'm told there are only a handful of these color/option combos in the state.

Thanks for any suggestions.
Driving a car off the lot immediatelly hits the car with close to 10% depreciation. Putting 2,000 miles on it costs you another $500 or more. $31K is not a bad offer.
Old 01-25-2004, 09:11 PM
Advanced

Can you tell us - why does getting engaged make you have to dump the TL - wedding? ring? Maybe some of us experienced in the matter can give you some advice. You gotta drive something, right, how much will you save by dumping this car? If you gotta dump it, dulnev is right, 30 to 31k is a good offer.
Old 01-25-2004, 09:45 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 86 Likes on 30 Posts
Re: Got engaged...going to have to sell my baby after only 3wks

IMO, I'd take that offer, my dealer told me I'll lose at least 4k if trading in my 5AT to 6MT... so 31k seems good to me...

Also, the great life we have in states, I hardly find ppl living without having a car.

Except you need immediate cash for your lovely house, 04TL has some great cash value. Or if you couple would like to move to subway-bound Manhattan, you will love to live there without cars for a period of time.
Old 01-25-2004, 10:18 PM
'06 750Li Sapphire/Creme

$31K is a decent figure for the car. ALL cars loose value once driven off the lot. It's simply a fact of life. eBay is ONLY for WHOLESALE of a car. You will NEVER get a decent figure from eBay (They can't see the car). Tell your future ex-wife that her first compromise is the car. You come as a set. She can get rid of the car when she gets rid of you...
Old 01-25-2004, 10:21 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Old 01-25-2004, 10:24 PM
Instructor

Be selfish for the last time (before being institutionalized).

"They say that the wolrd's smallest handcuff is a wedding ring."

I'm married and the institution is great so far.
Nothing is forever though--yet.

Keep your last selfish toy, it's all family matters from here on out.

Got hidden savings accounts...
NathanSilver
Old 01-25-2004, 10:26 PM
Banned

Well unless she has a nicer car than yours, why not make her sell her car instead

As to your price, take what the market will bear. You might stake out a dealership one weekend and talk with people who are looking at TL and make them aware of your sale. Who knows, you might get lucky.

Here is hoping you are able to keep the car, and the girl.
Old 01-25-2004, 10:30 PM
Instructor

jphillo,

Doug Goss on a newly posted thread totalled his 2000 TL and needs/wants to get into an 04TL ASAP.

He's in Georgia (so his login says anyhow).

Good luck.

NathanSilver
Old 01-25-2004, 10:33 PM
Banned

Originally posted by NathanSilver
jphillo,

Doug Goss on a newly posted thread totalled his 2000 TL and needs/wants to get into an 04TL ASAP.

He's in Georgia (so his login says anyhow).

Good luck.

NathanSilver
LOL:lol2:

I just posted this threads link into that thread.

Great minds think alike
Old 01-25-2004, 10:38 PM
Instructor

Z Factor.

Were pounding the keys at the same time.

Good looking out.

And you posted the links too!
Kick A$$ bro.

NathanSilver
Old 01-25-2004, 10:47 PM
'06 750Li Sapphire/Creme

Z-factor - You might want to check with your college.... Bear is an animal. Bare is an action.
Old 01-25-2004, 10:48 PM
Team Owner

Received 3,864 Likes on 2,031 Posts
Do you bear a burden or bare a burden?

Mike
Old 01-25-2004, 10:49 PM
Banned

Originally posted by ndabunka
Z-factor - You might want to check with your college.... Bear is an animal. Bare is an action.

:lol2: Thank you, but you might want to check with yours as well.
Old 01-25-2004, 11:08 PM
7th Gear

Thank you all for the advice. I know 31 isn't bad, but just wanted to get an idea if anybody thought I could do better and where.

As far as the girl goes, she actually loves the TL. And, I'm not planning to give up on it forever, but the wedding and the honeymoon are going to be more expensive than I'd really given consideration. Like I told her...I can do the TL again next year. She wouldn't bat an eye if I decided to keep it. She's been behind the purchase from the beginning...but its going to be a big strain on my disposable...and my savings pretty much went w/the rock.

For now I'd rather know that I made this year all it could be...more into seeing the happy day go off right.

Including the insurance and gas, I'm taking approx $1k hit to the cash flow per month. I have 9months 'til the day. I have a 98 civic HB in the mean time, and after 'the day' my insurance on both should be a bit better I would hope?

At any rate, I wish I could have seen all the angles prior to purchase. I'm very calculating in my deals. Seems this time I was worried more w/price than with planning.

I'll go look for that post zfactor and nathan silver are referring to.

Take care all!
Old 01-25-2004, 11:52 PM
Team SSM

Have her get a second job.....

Or, let the in-laws pay for the wedding....

Whatever you do, keep the car.
You'll regret it if you dump it..:lol1:
Old 01-26-2004, 12:10 AM
TL-SHAWD 6MT Rocks!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
A little kid asked his mom, why is the bride wearing white ?
- the mom responded, because it's the happiest day of her life...

the kid, paused, and after meditating the answer, he asked.
then, why is the groom wearing black ?

it's the last time to treat yourself, believe me.
I've been married for 12 years!
can you postpone the wedding 6 months ?
something will come up, if you have feith!
Old 01-26-2004, 05:52 AM
Advanced

Something is wrong with this picture.

I smell trouble.
Old 01-26-2004, 06:22 AM
Chief TL Aviator

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Keep the Toy! Plan to Elope ....

Best of both worlds!!!
Old 01-26-2004, 07:17 AM
Racer

Here are some things to do - I'll understand if you don't take my advice.
1. Reconsider wedding.
2. Live the American dream - credit!
3. Get a second or third job.
4. Ger her a second or third job.
5. Give up lunch - most of us need to diet anyway.
6. Take out a grant.
7. Dump the civic
8. Borrow from family - scratch that.
9. Borrow from friends - scratch that too.
10. Borrow from bank - see #2

I also sold all my toys when I got married, but now I can reward my self at 40 - I used the midlife crisis as my excuse. Good to plan your midlife crisis.

04 TL / 5 AT / Navi
ps: I still have the same wife.
Old 01-26-2004, 07:21 AM
Cesspool of Knowledge

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
There's an old adage that I've found to have a lot of validity:

"The length of a marriage is inversely proportional to the amount of money spent on the wedding."

Put in simpler terms:

The wedding is almost entirely about things that aren't related at all to a couple's love: materialism, egos, showmanship, fantasies. Some women tend to focus entirely on wedding and not as much on the relationship. Lots of the weddings I have been to are more for the parents than they are for the couples anyway.

Couples that just love each other and just care about being married tend to do something that gets the exact same job done for a lot cheaper - elope or do a small civil service. Then, they save up their money for things that really matter for the strength of the marriage - like buying a house.

Something to think about ... but I wouldn't dream of mentioning this to your fiance!
Old 01-26-2004, 07:35 AM
A.K.A. Karl Hungus

Ok, correct me if I'm wrong, and I am getting married in 9 months myself, so I might need correcting, but isn't it the girl's parent's job to pay for the wedding?

Problem being here -- if her parents aren't going to do it, something first might be wrong. And second, do the whole thing on the cheap. You dump the car now, when you buy another one again, you take the purchase price of say 35 with inflation and price increases, plus 3k in lost cash from the first purchase. A stikered 35 car is going to cost you 38, plus taxes and double title and the rest. Not to mention the sunk insurance cost.
Old 01-26-2004, 08:13 AM
Racer

Originally posted by silveraccord
Ok, correct me if I'm wrong, and I am getting married in 9 months myself, so I might need correcting, but isn't it the girl's parent's job to pay for the wedding?

Problem being here -- if her parents aren't going to do it, something first might be wrong. And second, do the whole thing on the cheap. You dump the car now, when you buy another one again, you take the purchase price of say 35 with inflation and price increases, plus 3k in lost cash from the first purchase. A stikered 35 car is going to cost you 38, plus taxes and double title and the rest. Not to mention the sunk insurance cost.
Bride's parents traditionally pay for the wedding but I think in many cases that's unrealistic (and unfair) these days.

From a purely pragmatic standpoint it seems to me that you stand to lose at least $4 by dumping your car now and re-buying it next year.

So is that really the best financial move? Seems to me that at this point it would make more financial sense to just suck it up and keep the darn thing. If you have to, take a cheapo honeymoon and then go someplace nice next year after you've saved some money.

Unless your case in unusual, people normally have an income pickup when they get married; dual incomes and shared expenses. Generally speaking gaving kids is is the killer of disposable income, not marriage.
Old 01-26-2004, 08:35 AM
Moderator Alumnus

Arrow

Why cannot we think of another way...

Wedding is the dream for both of ppl, by our tradition, family of the bride supposes to pay for it. However, the law never prohibit the groom doing so if he want. Perhaps, the honeymoon is another bigger plan costing $$.

How much can he save from the monthly payment and insurance for 04TL? $800-$1.2k?

Also, he might have other vehicles to use. Since 04TL has the great value in the market, it could be the one to go.

Sometimes, American dreams (credit and loan) are the haunts of faults. The snowball-like burdens are so easy to get bigger and bigger if ppl never think of how to act according to their abilities. Monthly payment for car, mortgage, student loans, and insurance, etc. could be your routine and your burdens when you're no longer to support any of them.

In addition to your annual salary increases, trying to get extra $1k-$2k monthly allowance annually is not easy, either. Besides some certain occupations, how many ppl here can find the way immediately next week to do so and continue to do it for a year?

I assume he has better plans to handle his transportation or he's only short of money in this period... selling 04TL could be one of his options, not his only choice.

He was asking the advice how to deal with the sale of 04TL, not the suggestion how to dump his family.

Let him have time to think it over... instead of keeping blaming his bride and marriage...
Old 01-26-2004, 09:08 AM
Advanced

What a great way to start a marriage!!!!

Good luck!
Old 01-26-2004, 09:15 AM
A.K.A. Karl Hungus

Frankly, dealing with all of this myself, I think the institution of marriage isn't the problem its what everyone tells you the institution is supposed to be. IE the wedding industry. It's worse than Hallmark.

My wedding will cost as much as a new TL. And the very next day I'll have nothing, absolutely nothing to show for the expenditure (mind you not the marriage, the wedding day hoopla). Interestingly enough, I know many people in my field who are set for life financially who joke about how bad their weddings were, and how cheap they did it. I suppose it breads the thought in my mind that those who focus on the marriage of two people, don't care about how they get married, what rings they got, how big the wedding was, the temperature of the brie during the hors de ovures.

Somedays I seem like the only voice of reason, asking why we need this or that. And I'll tell you, if it was the extravagance, instead of my fiance's huge family and friends, I'd be gone.

Problem being all these people, especially the ones talking to the poor bride, are telling her that she needs this, or needs that, and must have this or its not a real wedding. Like Jagger says "Jimmy can't be a man 'cause he don't smoke the same cigarettes as me." Utter BS. The important person is the woman or the man you're marrying and the life you have.

REts has it down pat, and I don't think he knows it. The problem is when you fall victim to the BS, you make these accomodations. Ok, I can swing 1000 on the credit card here, or, uh ok, we can spend this 1000 here. And you forget where and what you spent. That is where you get into the snowball Rets was talking about. Then think most divorces are about money. Rets is a philosopher and doesn't know it.

If you're selling the TL to do this in cash, and what you're doing is something you can afford and believe is truly for you, do it. If its for someone else, if its bc you THINK or HAVE BEEN TOLD thats what you're supposed to do, don't do it.

Good luck man, keep me posted. You and I will have a lot in common over the next 9 months. Either way, sounds like you really do have your priorities straight.
Old 01-26-2004, 09:16 AM
Advanced

DONT SELL!!!!! DAMN IT....she has you under a spell!

Thats it....if you sell it will be the end of you as a MAN!

Tell her that the car will be used to take her to the moon - hell even MARS - and back.....do whatever it takes - JUST DONT SELL IT!!!!

Sh*T - this thread really gets under my skin....
Old 01-26-2004, 10:06 AM
Banned

:lol2:

Reading some of our replies, I think our fellow TL owner is doomed if he follows our advice.

Then again, he is doomed if he gets married anyway.
Old 01-26-2004, 10:36 AM
Cruisin'

Think about it. You may actually still love your car in three years.
Old 01-26-2004, 10:44 AM
A.K.A. Karl Hungus

Marriage is almost as controversial a topic as claiming you raced a G35.
Old 01-26-2004, 12:49 PM
Advanced

:lol1:
Old 01-26-2004, 01:46 PM
Burning Brakes

Consider what you put down on the TL from the get go, couple that with the loss you'll incur with this early sale and your better off keeping it.

Tell your future wife the wedding budget will be tight and won't be much easier with the loss of money selling the car.
Old 01-26-2004, 02:25 PM
Instructor

I sold my 1996 FLSTN (Heritage Softail Special), before I got married.

No regrets (most of the time), but I ordered that bike when I was TDY to Aviano AFB Italy. I had the VIn # (and still do) memorized 6 months before I had the bike.

I also had $800 in aftermarket, performance parts sitting in my bedroom--waiting for the 500 mile tuneup.

Tangent--sorry.

We had a 75 person wedding (small and cozy) then went to Kauai for 7 days. It was great, but we could have done the following as well, and still be as happy as we are today:

Get married near a volcanic rock in Hawaii, and Invite anyone of your family or friends who want to attend. They can make it their own vacation afterwards.

Spending $30k (or more) on a wedding is a waste (in my opinion).

Sh!t, you could almost buy a *****in 2004 TL for that.

Got prenumtial agreemants...
NathanSilver
Old 01-26-2004, 02:37 PM
Instructor

Is this a shotgun wedding? If so, I could understand. If not, you will take it in the shorts selling your car now and buying another one in a year. It sounds like she wants you to keep the car, so how about getting her to agree to moving the wedding or selling the Civic? Good luck!
Old 01-26-2004, 02:48 PM
Instructor

Keep the car!!!!

If you don't keep it, you are not going to get another car for a long time!!! Take me for example.

Got engaged. 3 months later, I paid for most of my wifes car. Accord V-6. 2 years after the wedding, bought a townhouse. The next year we had a baby, traded in the Honda and bought an MDX. Another year later, thinking about having another kid, decided to buy a house, more expenses. Finally after almost 6 years of marriage, I finally bought myself a car. My old car is a 95 civic with 150,000 original miles on it. Once you get married, your big ticket items always seem to be on back burner.

Sorry if I sound whipped, but for many of us married folks this is the case.

Every morning my son runs arount the house with two TV remotes in his hand and everyday i try to take it from him and he yells "Mine!!Mine!!Mine!!!".

Be a kid again!!! and put your wants on the top of the list one last time!!!
Old 01-26-2004, 03:35 PM
Advanced

If you really think you are going to buy another TL in a year, you should definitely reconsider selling this one. You will pay sales tax twice! You will lose $4k on the sale of this car. It adds up to a lot - probably worth just going a few more hundred dollars a month into debt for a year.

Poor guy, simply asks if $30k is a good price, gets a "don't do it!" lecture from everyone. Sorry, man. We married folks just love to pass on our wisdom. One of the few joys we have left.

Quick Reply: Got engaged...going to have to sell my baby after only 3wks