Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Good news on the Tire issue

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2004, 09:33 PM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm Pick'in up Bad Vibrations

After 3,500 kms, I have begun to experience regular vibrations after about 55 mph and up to about 75 mph. Clearly there is either a serious tire problem, or a serious out of balance problem. But there is a definite problem. So I hope Acura and the dealers will acknowledge it here in Canada so I don't have do deal with the doubting customer service/service manager as rets implies.
Old 01-03-2004, 10:19 PM
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Peters, I agree with you completly. Nothing worse than trying to convince the service depatment that you have a problem. Lets see what Acura does. They have never disappointed me in the past (4 Acura's).
Old 01-04-2004, 02:30 AM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 86 Likes on 30 Posts
Re: I'm Pick'in up Bad Vibrations

Originally posted by Peters
After 3,500 kms, I have begun to experience regular vibrations after about 55 mph and up to about 75 mph. Clearly there is either a serious tire problem, or a serious out of balance problem. But there is a definite problem. So I hope Acura and the dealers will acknowledge it here in Canada so I don't have do deal with the doubting customer service/service manager as rets implies.
May I know what is your tires' Date of Manufacture? Mine is 3903... I don't have this issue on them...
Old 01-04-2004, 09:00 AM
Racer

I have 3 tires that say 4203 and one that says 4303. Is it confirmed that the new Bridgestone EL 42's do not have a flat-spotting problem?
Old 01-04-2004, 09:20 AM
10th Gear

So as of 1/4/03 what is the status of this tire issue, which ones are lets just say crap? Summer or winter? Would somebody clear this up in English?
Old 01-04-2004, 09:40 AM
Racer

My tires are the stock 17" All-seasons. Bridgestone EL 42s.
Old 01-04-2004, 09:44 AM
Advanced

Ok, in english. The El42's are junk. Michelin's seem to be the choice of most people. I prefer the all weather one.
Am replacing them at my cost. Will not wreck my car waiting on Acura.
Old 01-04-2004, 09:50 AM
Racer

Originally posted by michael3314
Ok, in english. The El42's are junk.
I have to concur with that, at least the ones that are on my car. I have never bought a new car costing this much money and have such a bizarre problem. This is my third TL. Hope its not my last.
Old 01-04-2004, 10:07 AM
Advanced

This is the list of the vehicles that use Bridgestone Turanza EL42 as OE. Apparently, Acura must have thought that the TL is a minivan?

Chrysler Town & Country/ Dodge Caravan
BMW X5
Toyota Sienna
BMW 7 Series-Optinal fitment
Acura TL
Saturn Vue Redline
Saturn Vue
Toyota Solara
Mitsubishi Endeavor
Dodge Cargo Van
Infiniti G35
Nissan Altima
>
Old 01-04-2004, 10:16 AM
Advanced

Hope its not your last either. Lets face it, this is one fun car to drive. Has crappy tires from the factory. Put on some real tires and enjoy. Life goes on.

Just a note here. I sent my salesperson an e-mail describing the problems with the el42's. Have yet to get a responce.
Old 01-04-2004, 10:37 AM
Racer

I am dealing directly with Acura Canada and am expecting a call Monday. I am fortunate in that I have a strong connection to Honda so I think I will try and resolve this issue quickly.....otherwise, I will try something a little different, although I hope I won't have to. We'll see. But I will not go to the dealer until I get it straight from Acura.
Old 01-04-2004, 12:21 PM
Advanced

Originally posted by jimthegreek
Alrighty.. congrats on the new tires... now the somewhat official word that the western regional service reps have stated to my local dealership is to not replace tires at the dealer expense anymore... The affected vehicles are the lower Vin # vehicles, and acura will soon put out a TSB for all those vehicles to be brought back in and replaced with the new batch of Bridgestone tires..

Lower VIN's huh, my VIN is 10,500+ and after a week of driving on the POS Turanzas I replaced them. I don't think it is a low VIN issue, I think it is a Bridgestone issue.
Old 01-04-2004, 12:22 PM
Racer

How did the Bridgestones go from having a flat-spotting problem to being a must-replace due to safety problems? It seems like some people on various threads are saying they are going to replace them ASAP to avoid having an accident! Even if they aren't as sticky as people would like, they are still better than the average tire on vehicles around you on the road.

Flat-spotting isn't even a unique problem to these tires. Lots of "performance" tires exhibit this problem. Typically, nylon is involved in their construction. I've owned flat-spotting tires in the past.

These tires aren't what I would have picked for a stock tire. But they are also apparently used on some BMW 7 series and other expensive vehicles (as well as Altimas and cheaper vehicles), so Acura didn't make a unique decision.

I eventually plan on replacing mine, too, but not because of safety. In the winter in particular, I don't drive my TL daily, and the flat spotting is therefore annoying and fairly severe for a long period every time I drive the car for the first trip of the day. If my TL was in "constant" use, the flat spotting wouldn't be a significant problem. I'm interested in waiting to see if Acura is going to do something about the problem, but I'm also not confident I'll like the choice they make for replacements (like different versions of EL42).
Old 01-04-2004, 12:33 PM
Advanced

Both Firestone and Bridgestone have a policy that if you purchase their tires from a retail outlet and are dissatisfied with their tires for any reason, you can return them for an exchange or refund. Shouldn't this also apply to these tires?

Somehow I am dubious that the BMW 7 series is equipped with these from the factory . . that would be ludicrous . .. LOL
Old 01-04-2004, 12:42 PM
Advanced

BMW has them saw it with my own eyes then almost passed out and threw up. Go away vibration Go away
Old 01-04-2004, 01:39 PM
Advanced

Hybrid,

I'm replacing mine for safety reasons. I did a high speed merge and this poor car was all over ther place. If it wasn't for the VSA I believe I would have spun out. Dry conditions, not expected.

I have had problems in the rain as well. First gear will break these tires loose if there is an ounce of moisture on the roads. I do not drive this car hard and am amazed at how often the tires slip. If they are this bad in acceleration I'm afraid to see what they will do in braking. Don't want to find out.

I will replace these with Michelin's. $800 dollars to replace stock tires makes me angry, but a couple of grand in the body shop would be worse.
Old 01-04-2004, 02:42 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 86 Likes on 30 Posts
Originally posted by mitchdeerfield
This is the list of the vehicles that use Bridgestone Turanza EL42 as OE. Apparently, Acura must have thought that the TL is a minivan?

Chrysler Town & Country/ Dodge Caravan
BMW X5
Toyota Sienna
BMW 7 Series-Optinal fitment
Acura TL
Saturn Vue Redline
Saturn Vue
Toyota Solara
Mitsubishi Endeavor
Dodge Cargo Van
Infiniti G35
Nissan Altima
>
I remember Acura and Bridgestone ever said 04TL's EL42s are totally new design for this particular car. So it's a little different to other vehicles' EL42s. Perhaps, size and different aspects also make EL42 different.
Old 01-04-2004, 02:59 PM
Racer

Originally posted by michael3314
Hybrid,

I'm replacing mine for safety reasons. I did a high speed merge and this poor car was all over ther place. If it wasn't for the VSA I believe I would have spun out. Dry conditions, not expected.

I have had problems in the rain as well. First gear will break these tires loose if there is an ounce of moisture on the roads. I do not drive this car hard and am amazed at how often the tires slip. If they are this bad in acceleration I'm afraid to see what they will do in braking. Don't want to find out.

I will replace these with Michelin's. $800 dollars to replace stock tires makes me angry, but a couple of grand in the body shop would be worse.
This explains the rotten braking numbers that the mags are getting even with the Brembos.
Old 01-04-2004, 06:47 PM
Intermediate

Peters..."I am dealing directly with Acura Canada and am expecting a call Monday. I am fortunate in that I have a strong connection to Honda so I think I will try and resolve this issue quickly.....otherwise, I will try something a little different, although I hope I won't have to. We'll see. But I will not go to the dealer until I get it straight from Acura."

had the same problem with my Bridgestone's on my 2002 Accord Coupe 18 month's ago. New Michelins solved the problem but I had to pay...got 30.00/tire trade in for Bridgestone's.
I am purchasing a car in 2 months and still not decided what to purchase?
Honda and Acura dealers in Hamilton, Ontario are denying that there is a problem...they claim that all customers that purchased the TL love the car and no problems!
I know that the volume of sales is low but I think they are really trying to keep this quiet.
Old 01-04-2004, 07:06 PM
Racer

Bull

I hear ya. Well the service rep at Acura Canada already acknowledged the flat-spotting problem. Given our cold temperatures this is sure to be serious problem with all owners. I had my car out this morning and a quick jaunt out to the highway and it was unbearable. This is unaccpetable for a $44,000 Cdn (with Navi) car. This is a bizarre problem.

I will get this fixed, one way or another. I'm sure I don't have to tell you not to believe a car salesman but just in case....

I have been an owner of 2 other TL's 2nd generations and Accords before that. One thing I will warn you about, spend time driving the car over all kinds of surfaces before you buy. It is a very, very firm (harsh to some maybe?) riding car, at least compared to the 2nd gens. The handling attributes are fine, but not everything is measured going around a race track.

I'll update as I go.
Old 01-04-2004, 07:43 PM
Intermediate

"Peters"
You are correct...44K plus Can taxes approx 50 K and can not get decent tires.
Also, the new Accord Coupe 2004 EX V6 Automatic comes with Bridgestone's but the 5 speed comes with Michelins!
Go figure !
Old 01-04-2004, 10:13 PM
Racer

Goofy

I don't know who contracted tires like this for the Canadian market, but based on my ride home tonight from my son's hockey game - that's it!!! They are going to be replaced.

This is absolutely ridiculous. The car rides like a tractor until the tires get warm - if they ever do - and then they still vibrate a little. There is no way that the tires on my car are condusive to cold weather.
Old 01-13-2004, 07:26 PM
Instructor

How would you compare the Pilot Sport A/S with Pilot XGT H4 tires?
Old 01-13-2004, 07:43 PM
WDP Director of R & D

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally posted by ramilford
How would you compare the Pilot Sport A/S with Pilot XGT H4 tires?
Do not consider the XGT over the Sport A/S!! I have had both and the "Sports" are leaps and bounds better in wet and dry performance, not to mention the XGT are extremely noisy. The XGT's were very smooth however. Reviews on "tirerack" will tell the same story...

Bottom line, I would not compare the two, one is significantly better.

Smitty
Old 01-13-2004, 07:49 PM
Instructor

Originally posted by KJSmitty
Do not consider the XGT over the Sport A/S!! I have had both and the "Sports" are leaps and bounds better in wet and dry performance, not to mention the XGT are extremely noisy. The XGT's were very smooth however. Reviews on "tirerack" will tell the same story...

Bottom line, I would not compare the two, one is significantly better.

Smitty
Smitty, thanks. The Michelin webpage rates quietness of the XGT as a 10 (best rank) and the Sport A/S at 7. Also, I notice that tires of the same exact size seem to have different diameters. Wouldn't that cause speed errors and navi errors?