3G TL (2004-2008)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Going to preform my first 3x3 transmission fluid change, just have a few questions.

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2017, 08:48 PM
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Going to preform my first 3x3 transmission fluid change, just have a few questions.

Gave up with trying to find a mechanic to understand what I'm talking about or willing to take the fluid that I give them, so I will be just doing the change myself.

I just had a few questions to clear up before I began the process:

I have 2 different methods to give myself enough clearance to acess the drain bolt but I need help determining which is the best method. Method 1 and my preferred method: Drive the car up ramps, drain the fluid, fill, and back down the ramps. My only concern with this is that the car will not be on a level surface and will inaccurately display the fluid levels. Method 2: Jack the car up via the jacking point in the front, place 2 jack stands on the side front jacking points, drain fluid, lower car to make sure all fluid is drained, raise car back up to replace the drain bolt and plastic shield, lower car, and fill fluid.

I really want to stay away from having to jack the car up so many times. However, if that's what I have to do then so be it. So I guess my question is, can this job be performed by just using the ramps. And if I do use the ramps where can I place the jack stands for extra support incase the ramp fails?

Thanks!
Old 07-11-2017, 09:06 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 8,611 Likes on 6,650 Posts
buy another set of jack stands.

/endthread
Old 07-11-2017, 09:13 PM
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by thoiboi
buy another set of jack stands.

/endthread
I feel like an idiot for not even thinking about that. Thanks!
Old 07-11-2017, 10:38 PM
b15
Racer

Received 38 Likes on 35 Posts
You're honestly over thinking this. Jack the car up, support with Jack stands and drain the fluid. About 3 quarts will drain. Most drain pans have measurements on the side so you can see how much fluid drained. Put the plug back, lower the car and refill with the same amount that came out. The effort to lower and jack the car back up isn't worth the miniscule additional amount, if any, that may come out.
Old 07-12-2017, 09:14 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,687 Likes on 1,303 Posts
I been done method 2 for years.
Old 07-13-2017, 12:46 PM
Advanced

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
Honestly, if you drive the car up on ramps and drain and fill it that way, there's practically no difference from jacking the car up in the front. Either way you're only raising the front of the car. I realize that some will say with a jack you can raise the car lower than with the ramps (and get slightly more fluid out), but to get underneath the car to do the drain you will still have to raise it up about the same height. I drive the car up on ramps when doing the tranny service and have never had a problem, and it is much easier than jacking the car up. I still get about 3 quarts out when doing the drain.

Some important parts about doing the drain and fill is to measure what comes out and put that much back in. After doing the drain and fill the first time, I drive the car round for about 20 minutes using a combination of stop and go and highway driving. I try to keep the RPM's up when doing the highway driving. Also, make sure you cycle through the gears, and do some driving in reverse. Do the second drain and fill and repeat the 20 minutes of driving. Do the third drain and fill and put in a little bit less than what came out. Start the engine and get it to operating temperature. Park the car on a level surface and check the fluid level no less then 60 seconds, and no more than 90 seconds after you shut the engine off. Then add as much fluid to get you between the marks on the dipstick. If you add too much on the third drain and fill, you might have to let some fluid out to get it to be where it needs to be. That's why I add a bit less on the third fill. Much easier to add than it is to drain.
Old 07-14-2017, 02:25 AM
Chapter Leader (Southern Region)

Received 11,841 Likes on 8,573 Posts
overthinking it.. you can do this on ramps, but if you're really worried about draining the most you can, use stands.
I use stands (only the front) and I still drain about 3 qts from the torque converter sump.