Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

God's Gift to Car Care!

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2007, 10:16 AM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool God's Gift to Car Care!

The other I parked my car next to an island in a parking lot for two weeks and little did I know there was sprinkler there. So for two weeks, that crap dried on my paint and I was pretty pissed off to find out how hard it was to remove water spots and other debris...enter..the clay bar.

If you haven't ever used this to get crap off of your paint..it is mindblowing. I was so happy it worked I just had to come by and say something about it.
Old 08-02-2007, 10:18 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 84 Likes on 79 Posts
clay is off the hook ... it works so well cuz it removes all the contiminants in your clear coat ... but its abrasive so dont overuse it ...
Old 08-02-2007, 10:21 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by jsaadein
The other I parked my car next to an island in a parking lot for two weeks and little did I know there was sprinkler there. So for two weeks, that crap dried on my paint and I was pretty pissed off to find out how hard it was to remove water spots and other debris...enter..the clay bar.

If you haven't ever used this to get crap off of your paint..it is mindblowing. I was so happy it worked I just had to come by and say something about it.
Hard water spots suck! The sprinklers for my front yard always puts a nice layer of water to dry on my NBP! Now, either I park in the center spot or I park on the street. I need to invest in the UDM so I can completely go over my car... but in the mean time, maybe I could use my claybar and get rid of the unsightly water marks...
Old 08-02-2007, 10:22 AM
'10 Hyundai Genesis Coupe

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Where can I find it? What brand did you use?
Old 08-02-2007, 10:39 AM
Cruisin'

As far as clay bars go they are all pretty much the same. But remember if you use the clay bar you need to put a new coat of wax/polish on the car. That's where Zaino comes in. Zaino is the only product I will use.
Old 08-02-2007, 10:47 AM
Team Owner

Received 1,137 Likes on 1,067 Posts
any parts store in the wash and wax isle has the clay bar $10

Use with care and some liquid wax to prevent scarring

Wax well when done and enjoy

see off topic wash and wax section here for details on use
Old 08-02-2007, 11:19 AM

Received 5,934 Likes on 2,927 Posts
Meguiar's makes a good clay bar "kit" that includes some of their Quick Detailer to function as the lubricant on the surface of the paint.
Old 08-02-2007, 11:37 AM
Intermediate

Actually, that is the kind I used, Meguiar's. It comes with a detailing liquid which you spray on first and then you use the clay bar. It is kind of time consuming, but works awesome. They said it's clear coat safe. It also comes with a microfiber cloth and a final protective wax. Total was about $22. There are other brands..I think Mother's is a popular one, but I'll stick with Meguiars.

No joke - your paint feels like it did the day you bought - nice and glassy.
Old 08-02-2007, 11:38 AM
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Deatailers Automotive Clay is a well written article about Automotive Clay and a must read for anyone who has an interest in detailing including the enthusiast or pro. The article contains very comprehensive information about this product as well as "How To" and an FAQ. It is authored by Jon Miller who is a member and an invaluable contributor to the Wash & Wax Forum. There are numerous threads/posts about clay , just run a search.
Old 08-02-2007, 11:45 AM
Intermediate

I have to disagree with that article compared with the type of clay that I purchased. The spray just helps it move across the surface and assists with the breakdown of surface contaminants and this clay doesn't do abrasive surface measures, because it is pretty much like silly putty - but produced cleaner for cars.
Old 08-02-2007, 12:28 PM
Drifting

I hope it didn't happen to your car, but living in Atlanta where the sun is strong...it's possible that you have acid rain etching on your paint. It doesn't have to be rain...just water beading on a waxed finish, then sun hitting the water sometimes acts like a lens then actually burns the paint. I've had it happen to my car...and short of wet sanding the paint...removing part of the clear coat...nothing will remove it. Good luck..and I sure hope it didn't happen to your car. Water then sun on paint are a bad combination.
Old 08-02-2007, 12:50 PM
Trucki!!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I have to disagree with that article compared with the type of clay that I purchased. The spray just helps it move across the surface and assists with the breakdown of surface contaminants and this clay doesn't do abrasive surface measures, because it is pretty much like silly putty - but produced cleaner for cars.
Not true, clay does have an abrasive quality to it. There has to be an abrasive quality to grab and collect surface debris. Remember your lightly moving the clay across the surface, not rubbing it against the paint. Believe me if you rub it against the paint, you'll see the abarasivness of the clay..........
Old 08-02-2007, 12:55 PM
Safety Car

Are you saying automotive clay is not abrasive? Read this article by David Bynum entitled "Cleaning Car Paint With Detailing Clay" and pretty much reaffirms what Jon wrote.
Old 08-02-2007, 02:08 PM
Intermediate

I see that most clay bars are abrasive, but I was saying that the particular product, Meguiars Smooth Surface clay, is not abrasive.

See here.
Old 08-02-2007, 03:56 PM
Instructor

Does the clay bar stuff Help with removing the remnants after debadging..Ive used googone, turtle wax, wd40...but still can see the outline of the letters from debadging..and yes..ive got a NBP
Old 08-02-2007, 04:13 PM
Trucki!!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I see that most clay bars are abrasive, but I was saying that the particular product, Meguiars Smooth Surface clay, is not abrasive.

See here.
Actually you don't see what we are saying. Clay IS an abrasive. No matter how you look at it.....doesn't matter. What you are looking at is probably a very very fine clay. Even if it is very very fine its still an abrasive. Clay comes in many different grits and sizes.......one thing remains the same (they are all abrasive)
Old 08-02-2007, 06:50 PM
Intermediate

How can they advertise as non-abrasive if it's abrasive? The clay can pick up impurities without being abrasive, it just takes longer and more patience with the lubricant.

If you have deposits that just won't come off with the entry-level items, then I can see using a very very fine clay.
Old 08-02-2007, 07:08 PM
Intermediate

Okay - I stand corrected to those who've been doing this longer then me. I called Meguiar's and he did confirm that it is so minutely abrasive that you should never be concerned about the clear coat. He also said that it's less abrasive then their cleaner wax.

So to you guys above - touche.