Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

GoClaw traction system on TL

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2006, 10:30 PM
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
GoClaw traction system on TL

Has anyone had any experience using the GoClaw Advanced Traction System on a TL? Is it a good alternative to using all winter tires? I just both a 2006 TL and I hate the thought of having to change tires in the winter. I previously had an Audi S4 AWD with all weather tires which worked great.
Old 12-08-2006, 10:36 PM
Burning Brakes

GoClaw traction system? I dont understand, please elaborate.
Old 12-08-2006, 10:57 PM
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Look here. . .

www.flextrax.com
Old 12-08-2006, 11:07 PM
Burning Brakes

^ I see. I have never tried them, but mostlikley never would. Would be interesting though to see what someone says who actually used them.
Old 12-09-2006, 08:57 AM
Advanced

Location: On the banks of a filthy river in east TX ruled by crooked cops, brazen women and pansexual cowboys.
Old 12-09-2006, 09:12 AM
CTS-V Import Slayer

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
OMG

NEVER.
Old 12-09-2006, 09:17 AM
Senior Moderator
Regions Leader

Received 205 Likes on 128 Posts
Originally Posted by J.Edward

Acura TL 2004-2005 Hits something

Someone probably called them, "hey man its hitting something"
Old 12-09-2006, 10:06 AM
CTS-V Import Slayer

Ya...I didnt notice that E.....thats IS pretty all telling here....^
Old 12-09-2006, 10:40 AM
2nd Gear

"OMG"

"NEVER."

Care to elaborate on that, Michael?
Old 12-09-2006, 10:46 AM
black on black 04 TL 6MT

this thread is pointless now that the goclaws website says they won't fit...
Old 12-09-2006, 02:35 PM
Advanced

Location: On the banks of a filthy river in east TX ruled by crooked cops, brazen women and pansexual cowboys.
Originally Posted by sol_da_man
this thread is pointless now that the goclaws website says they won't fit...
It may not be. The website only says it hit "something".

Perhapses it was 'something' on the TL they were testing, perhapses it was some idiot who did not know how to install it and called in saying it was incompatibly, etc. hence my question here if anyone knew if this was (in)correct through empirical testing.
Old 12-09-2006, 05:57 PM
CTS-V Import Slayer

Originally Posted by eswanti
"OMG"

"NEVER."

Care to elaborate on that, Michael?
Normally as a sign of respect....I wouldnt...no. But....since you ask...ok.

I kinda feel that tire chain, claws, ect are NOTHING outside of unsafe for the general public. There are multiple issues in my opinion, including great potential for incorrect installation..."generally" great potential for damage to your own car...plus a false sense of security that will cause most to drive beyond their capability. There is also potential (have seen it) for them to come off the tire alltother, damaging not only your...but possibly some other motorist's vehicle. Honestly...thats just my opinion though. I wont even get into the looks of em....cause in that case....functionality has a tendancy to overlook looks...but I also dont like the look of em either. So in my opinion...functionality is negligible....and safety is the main factor though.

BUT...on the other hand....I know tire chains are quite popular in some areas and they use em with success in Canada, Washington, ect. so there is probably good use for em as a whole...I just personally dont subscribe. I use winter snow tires instead. My guess...tire chains are a very regional thing.

Not sure that really helps you at all...but that is strictly my opinion and you asked....so I told.
Old 12-09-2006, 06:06 PM
CTS-V Import Slayer

Originally Posted by J.Edward
It may not be. The website only says it hit "something".

Perhapses it was 'something' on the TL they were testing, perhapses it was some idiot who did not know how to install it and called in saying it was incompatibly, etc. hence my question here if anyone knew if this was (in)correct through empirical testing.

Crank em on then....let us know what gets screwed up? Seems to me if the MFG doesnt recommend em....they probably know what they are talking about. I mean...what you are basically saying is....if somebody in a car came out and said...hey...dont go through that alley...its too narrow and you will hit something...that you would not believe em until you actually duped your own car. I understand what you are getting at...but I would just think that most of the Acura owners have the sense not to use something that the mfg states "rubs something". Again...JMO....but I might think twice about using anything from a company that used that terminology. Seems like they are not real sure themselves?

My guess is this...they sell you the tire claws....the paperwork inside says install at your own risk, ect as they can be inherently dangerous, and then they do their research on YOUR back. That would explain the wishy washy "hits something" statement that they dont even appear to know what it hits. I would go so far as to say....they dont have a test vehicle....not a TL anyway...or they would tell you what they hit. Sounds like somebody called in and asked for a refund....and they got what they got....little info.
Old 12-09-2006, 08:19 PM
Burning Brakes

alternative to winter tires no way, would these help you if you got into a jam or something... maybe.
Old 12-09-2006, 09:18 PM
Drifting

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts
Originally Posted by MichaelBenz
I know tire chains are quite popular in some areas and they use em with success in Canada, Washington, ect. so there is probably good use for em as a whole...I just personally dont subscribe. I use winter snow tires instead. My guess...tire chains are a very regional thing.
Definately regional... Because around here in the winter time, you are not allowed to use snow-tires when traction devices are required. (ie, when DOT turns on the signs, if you don't have chains or studs, you'll get pulled over regardless if you have Blizzaks or not) Tho I think they recently made an exception for snow tires, if and only if you have AWD.
Old 12-10-2006, 12:10 AM
'04 6mt Pearl

Normally you'd use them on high mountain passes that they can't keep bare or in bad storms. The Coquihalla Highway here in BC is a good example. There are pullouts where you chain-up and chain-off at beginning and end of the passes. If I were driving a highway like that on a regular basis I'd want a set of those for sure regardless of the type of tires I have. You would not use them as a substitute for tires with a snow rating but lots of people choose these instead of going to a dedicated winter tire from their all seasons.
Old 12-10-2006, 12:53 AM
CTS-V Import Slayer

Originally Posted by triggle
Normally you'd use them on high mountain passes that they can't keep bare or in bad storms. The Coquihalla Highway here in BC is a good example. There are pullouts where you chain-up and chain-off at beginning and end of the passes. If I were driving a highway like that on a regular basis I'd want a set of those for sure regardless of the type of tires I have. You would not use them as a substitute for tires with a snow rating but lots of people choose these instead of going to a dedicated winter tire from their all seasons.
I do see exactly the regional need for these I guess....but I probably wouldnt be sporting my Acura through snowy mountain passes though....would have probably bought an SUV or truck or something for that season...but thats just me. I would NOT see my Acura as that snow worthy or appropriate for that type of terrain.