Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

GM Synchromesh 3 questions

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2007, 06:54 PM
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
GM Synchromesh 3 questions

Hello, recently I experienced the "3rd gear problem" on my 2006 TL.
I've done the research on this board and I need to get:

GM Synchromesh Transmission Fluid Friction Modified: Part #12377916

Questions
1) How many quarts do I need?
2) Where do buy this?
3) Is there a DIY guide? I've never changed tranny fluid, I'm thinking about taking it to Firestone or Jiffy Lube

Thanks, and I apologize if these were answered before.
Old 10-07-2007, 06:57 PM
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Contact the parts department at a GM Dealership in your area to see if they have it in stock.
Old 10-07-2007, 07:00 PM
Instructor

Your going to need 3 quarts.

Any good auto shop should be able to do this if you don't do it yourself. Try the search as there are quite a few threads on this.
Old 10-07-2007, 07:02 PM
Instructor

thanks
Old 10-07-2007, 09:30 PM
RBP > WDP, NBP, SSM etc

hey man just a FYI - we have over 23852555.5 threads on this very topic - I suggest doing a search, you could've found your answer quicker!

welcome to the forums!
Old 10-07-2007, 10:00 PM
~Da Nocturnal Cheetah~

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Andy74
Hello, recently I experienced the "3rd gear problem" on my 2006 TL.
I've done the research on this board and I need to get:

GM Synchromesh Transmission Fluid Friction Modified: Part #12377916

Questions
1) How many quarts do I need?
2) Where do buy this?
3) Is there a DIY guide? I've never changed tranny fluid, I'm thinking about taking it to Firestone or Jiffy Lube

Thanks, and I apologize if these were answered before.
You need just short (2.6) of 3 quarts. You can buy it at your neighborhood GM (Chevy) dealer. Here are sme DIYs:

6 MT (manual)
https://acurazine.com/forums/ramblings-12/valentines-day-haiku-93452/

https://acurazine.com/forums/car-talk-5/omg-audi-a4-1-8t-114948/

https://acurazine.com/forums/showthread.php?t=120619

Good luck - you will love it!
Old 10-07-2007, 11:56 PM
347hp/300tq @ 4psi

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by darksom1
You need just short (2.6) of 3 quarts. You can buy it at your neighborhood GM (Chevy) dealer. Here are sme DIYs:

6 MT (manual)
https://acurazine.com/forums/showthread.php?t=93452

https://acurazine.com/forums/showthread.php?t=114948

https://acurazine.com/forums/showthread.php?t=120619

Good luck - you will love it!

actually its EXACTLY 3 quarts. when i drained the factory tranny oil awhile back, we poured it into a bucket, then drained it into 3 empty bottles of oil. filled all 3 to the tee.

when you drain it, jack the right side of the car up only and leave it for 15 minutes or until it stops dripping. this will gaurantee you get every last drop out.
Old 10-08-2007, 12:40 AM
~Da Nocturnal Cheetah~

Originally Posted by blusap
actually its EXACTLY 3 quarts. when i drained the factory tranny oil awhile back, we poured it into a bucket, then drained it into 3 empty bottles of oil. filled all 3 to the tee.

when you drain it, jack the right side of the car up only and leave it for 15 minutes or until it stops dripping. this will gaurantee you get every last drop out.
I had a shop do it so not sure if they did that. All I know is I shift smoothly between all gears with no apprehension of the 3rd gear problem now!
Old 10-08-2007, 05:04 AM
Registered Member

Received 162 Likes on 102 Posts
It takes 2.3 quarts on a drain and fill. This assumes the vehicle is level.

This is a very simple job. Just make sure you use a torque wrench since the torque specs for the two (or three if you remove the sight plug) are all different.
Old 10-08-2007, 07:50 AM
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Save yourself some cash and don't buy it at the GM stealership. Go to a place like Autozone/PepBoys and buy the penzoil synchromesh, its the exact same thing without the GM name on it.
Old 10-08-2007, 09:34 AM
DMZ
Head a da Family

Received 561 Likes on 393 Posts
Originally Posted by fish008
Save yourself some cash and don't buy it at the GM stealership. Go to a place like Autozone/PepBoys and buy the penzoil synchromesh, its the exact same thing without the GM name on it.
How / where did you find that out?
Old 10-08-2007, 09:47 AM
~Da Nocturnal Cheetah~

I'm going to call them and ask that my damn self!
Old 10-08-2007, 10:06 AM
~Da Nocturnal Cheetah~

Hey, I know you were probably trying to be helpful and save guys a buck or two:

BUT THAT IS NOT TRUE!!!

I called Pennzoil Tech Support directly and they said that is a dealer only formula. He cross-referenced the part#. Then I asked if they had something comparable, and they said they do not! Here is the number for anyone wanting to check for themselves: 1-800-458-4998.

I'd rather stick with the GM and go by what the Pennzoil rep says. A lot of people do this mod, so you have to be careful not to give out false or erroneous information.
Old 10-08-2007, 10:07 AM
Pro

Originally Posted by DMZ
How / where did you find that out?
I read that somewhere on the internet several weeks ago. If you do a search in google for 'Pennzoil Syncromesh GM' but don't put quotes around it you will find several webpages that say just that. The sites include pennzoil.com, amazon.com and just to name a few in a quick search. You don't think that GM could engineer something like that on their own do you?
Old 10-08-2007, 10:13 AM
Pro

If its wrong I am sorry but if you want to go out there and read what I have read feel free.

Here is another site: http://www.stealth316.com/2-pennzoil-synchromesh.htm

Acording to this link Pennzoil Synchromesh, Quaker State Synchromesh, Texaco Syncromesh, GM Syncromesh, and AC Delco Syncromesh are all the same. So before you flame me why don't you read that before just taking someones word even if they work for the company. How do you know they are right and that my "erroneous information" isn't correct?
Old 10-08-2007, 10:20 AM
~Da Nocturnal Cheetah~

If its wrong I am sorry but if you want to go out there and read what I have read feel free.

Here is another site: http://www.stealth316.com/2-pennzoil-synchromesh.htm

Acording to this link Pennzoil Synchromesh, Quaker State Synchromesh, Texaco Syncromesh, GM Syncromesh, and AC Delco Syncromesh are all the same. So before you flame me why don't you read that before just taking someones word even if they work for the company. How do you know they are right and that my "erroneous information" isn't correct?
Chill, what makes you think I am flaming you? Because I disagree? Stop taking it personal. It's not your product. I'm just trying to help those guys who are new, might want to do this mod, and get the stuff you suggest to save a buck and then have issues.

Since it's considered hearsay, I would rather go with the guy who WORKS for the place that could stand to get money from me using their product, yet, tells me that it's not the same. He has a database of all type of the pennzoil product and works in tech support at the place in question. I like those odds vs forum threads or magazine articles even if those people are considered knowledgeable on the subject. Suit yourself, but stop being so touchy...it ain't about you or me, it's about the tranny!
Old 10-08-2007, 10:35 AM
Pro

Alright darksom I took you up on your offer and I called Pennzoil tech support and talked to a guy named Al; he said if anyone would like to talk with him just call 800-458-4998 and ask for Al. He said that they are actually the same and that "last I knew GM didn't have any refineries so 'somebody' must be making it for them." He also said that they are the same formula except for one slightly different mix that they use in the S-10s and other light trucks. They are all called synchromesh too and there would be some legal issues if they were not the same using the same name. Plus there may be some issue where they are not suppose to tell that they make the product for other companies as it steals sales from the others. You can see this all day long when you walk into a supermarket. You don't think that they make their own bread or batteries do you? Not trying to cause trouble, just save folks some money and you are right it is about the tranny. I will just end this right here, buy whatever you want, I don't care, just trying to educate people. Do whatever you want.
Old 10-08-2007, 10:35 AM
~Da Nocturnal Cheetah~

Just FYI...

Here is something which should be more helpful on the topic. I copied it from here (Sodaluvr):

https://acurazine.com/forums/showthr...=125193&page=2

"Every OEM requires either an API specification, generic specification (i.e. “Power Steering fluid”), or their OEM specification for every one of their components.

The licensing process works as follows:

If an OEM such as Honda wants to develop a special fluid for one of their components, the OEM, additive pack company (i.e. Afton, Lubrizol, Infinieum, etc), and the blender (i.e. ExxonMobil, Shell, etc) will work together to produce a finished product that’ll work in the intended application. The OEM will work closely with the additive pack manufacturer to produce an additive pack that’ll provide the necessary anti-wear protection and friction modification for the fluid. The additive pack manufacturer will then suggest a possible base oil mix to the blender, who will then blend the final product.

The blender is not required to use a specific base oil mix. The additive pack manufacturer will of course suggest a possible mix for the fluid to meet the specifications, but what the blender ultimately uses is up to them. However, whatever they decide to use, the fluid must still be capable of meeting the performance tests for that particular fluid specification.

Upon completion of the blending, since the original “three” (OEM, add pack company, and blender) were working together to develop this fluid, the blender’s final product will be put through OEM tests to verify its performance and become “licensed” for factory and service fill in that particular application.

Here’s where it gets tricky. When the OEM and the additive pack company work together to develop the additive package, they can choose not to allow licensing of the product. Of course, the company that originally developed the additive pack, and the company that blended the product you buy at the dealer, will have the licensed product as they were the original developers of the product. But, the OEM can choose not to allow the additive manufacturer they originally worked with, to sell the additive pack “recipe” to other additive package manufacturers so other blenders can buy the additive pack and blend a similar fluid. Thus, the only licensed product would be the product you buy under the automaker’s brand name, blended with an additive pack the company they worked with originally developed, and their designated blender.

However, provided that it doesn’t violate their license agreement, the additive package manufacturer or other additive pack manufacturers may produce a similar additive pack that will work in the application but of course, it cannot be certified or tested by the OEM to verify performance, as they will not license their product. This is how Amsoil, Valvoline, and Pennzoil obtain their additive packages for these various “proprietary” OEM specifications."

So you see...it can be close, but not quite the same. Just FYI...
Old 10-08-2007, 11:03 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,183 Likes on 1,211 Posts
Old 10-08-2007, 12:55 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 3,063 Likes on 2,119 Posts
I would get it from the GM dealer, and ASK for the "Friction Modified" Synchromesh fluid.
Old 10-08-2007, 01:29 PM
DMZ
Head a da Family

Received 561 Likes on 393 Posts
Old 10-08-2007, 02:23 PM
Safety Car

Received 435 Likes on 328 Posts
There are also several threads on how to get better mpg and running regular gas.

You should definitely check those out!
Old 10-08-2007, 03:06 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by KN_TL
There are also several threads on how to get better mpg and running regular gas.

You should definitely check those out!
Okay buddy. Why would you be a jerk? What did I do to you? If it is the same, which I think it is, that isn't stupid at all. I would never put regular gas in my car. I understand the analogy but it isn't like that. The analogy should be if premium gas was $10 and you could find the exact same stuff for $5 would you buy the $10 gas? Like I said, do whatever you want, just don't be a jerk for no reason. If I was wrong I would just admit it, there is no point in debating this. I think what I think, you think what you think, and everyone else will think what these choose.
Old 10-08-2007, 08:29 PM
HEK
Team Nighthawk Mambo King

One word of advise...please make sure to get the freeze plug off before you go and drain the tranny fluid....just in case you can't get it off, you will still be able to drive your car and not find yourself with an unable to drive it...

BTW it's a lot easier to do this if you have a CAI....

You know I may do this again as I did the change 17k ago....any comments??..
Old 10-08-2007, 08:33 PM
Mike's Silver Bullet

Other threads (there are many) state that GM carries 2 versions - synchromesh and synchromesh friction modified like DMZ's pic above.
Friction Modified is the stuff you need.
Old 10-08-2007, 08:37 PM
~Da Nocturnal Cheetah~

I used what DMZ posted a picture of and I am ecstatic about my gear's performance since then!