Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Getting too old for a manual transmission

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2011, 06:17 AM
Registered Member

Received 162 Likes on 102 Posts
Originally Posted by anx1300c
Sadly, there's a strong possibility you won't even be able to buy a true manual at some point in your lifetime.

Europeans are generally thinner and healthier than us. There's a strong correlation between obesity and osteoarthritis.
Well that one doesn't fit me. I'm certainly not obese... nor skinny for that matter.
Old 04-03-2011, 06:36 AM
Registered Member

Originally Posted by Turbonut
Like it or not, we have turned into a lazy society and are ranked @1 in that category and also #1 in the obesity catehory:
http://www.thedailybeast.com/galleri...st-countries/#

http://www.nationmaster.com/graph/he...health-obesity

This has gotten a little off subject, but the bottom line is that when the knee or knees are done for, no amount of exercise or therapy will help and one needs to do what they can to delay a knee replacement until it's absolutely necessary.
My doctor wants me to wait until I'm around 70 because a knee replacement generally only lasts for maybe 15 to 20 years. Getting one now and then getting another one maybe at 80 or 85 is not the best thing he says because of recovery time and other complications. His PA's have told me that I am actually much better off than most of their patients in my age group because I am fairly fit and can do many of the things I have always been able to do. Like shopping (ugh), going out to dinner of a movie, driving (especially a manual transmission), and a few other activities. I have my good days and my not so good days but in general, I am ambulatory. And since I look younger than my years, that probably gives rise to their thinking it best to hold off until I can no longer hold off.

My doctor has performed over 3000 knee replacements so he is not new to this by any means. One side of me wants to get it done while I am still not too old and can enjoy this time in my life more (a neighbor friend and one of my daughters, the speech language pathologist, harp on me about this), but the other side tells me to listen to my doctor and take his advice.

A certain amount of exercise is beneficial to suffering knees but one has to get past the pain to do this and therein lies the prime problem. People with bad knees tend to suffer muscle atrophy in their legs and it becomes a viscous cycle. This in turn complicates and prolongs recovery which is a main reason doctors are reluctant to do replacements on elderly patients... as in the second one.

Funny. I'm still around 24 mentally in so many ways and refuse to grow up. Some years ago, a fellow worker said to me, "Why don't you act your age?" to which I replied, "What? And be like you??".
Old 04-03-2011, 07:53 AM
3G TL/2G MDX Owner

Received 978 Likes on 803 Posts
Originally Posted by SouthernBoy
My doctor has performed over 3000 knee replacements so he is not new to this by any means. One side of me wants to get it done while I am still not too old and can enjoy this time in my life more (a neighbor friend and one of my daughters, the speech language pathologist, harp on me about this), but the other side tells me to listen to my doctor and take his advice.

A certain amount of exercise is beneficial to suffering knees but one has to get past the pain to do this and therein lies the prime problem. People with bad knees tend to suffer muscle atrophy in their legs and it becomes a viscous cycle. This in turn complicates and prolongs recovery which is a main reason doctors are reluctant to do replacements on elderly patients... as in the second one.

Funny. I'm still around 24 mentally in so many ways and refuse to grow up. Some years ago, a fellow worker said to me, "Why don't you act your age?" to which I replied, "What? And be like you??".
nicely put. definitely hold off until the bitter end, but try and keep up with the exercise the best you can. the stronger and better conditioned you are, the better your recovery from major surgery. if the joint is bone on bone...well its only a matter of time, your gait changes, your other body parts start to hurt, disturbed sleep, atrophy from disuse b/c it hurts... and yes no amount of PT can ease this pain. if you stil have cartilage left, then you can get some relief. its a tough call. the up side is that they make some great Rx anti-inflammatories to offset such knee pain and keep it in check. weather will also play a role in good and bad days (yes, its true).

really the problem is that once a total knee has been done, older individuals never regain the strength or flexibility they had pre op this is due to poor PT, poor compliance from the patient, or BOTH. most of the time, so called full recovery (about a year out, but in most cases people feel pretty good by 6 mos) they are ADEQUATELY functional in their daily activities, but in reality there are still lingering dysfunctions that only a skilled PT would be able to point out (there is literature about this with regard to long term outcomes).

ultimately it comes down what is going to be the best for YOU (to the OP) and your lifestyle. the nice thing about the TL is that the clutch is much more forgiving (pedal pressure) than say...a corvette or an evo.
Old 04-03-2011, 08:11 AM

Received 16,265 Likes on 11,974 Posts
I enjoy 5/six speed manuals, and probably see my self driving them for a long while.
Old 04-03-2011, 08:26 AM
Registered Member

Originally Posted by TLtrigirl
nicely put. definitely hold off until the bitter end, but try and keep up with the exercise the best you can. the stronger and better conditioned you are, the better your recovery from major surgery. if the joint is bone on bone...well its only a matter of time, your gait changes, your other body parts start to hurt, disturbed sleep, atrophy from disuse b/c it hurts... and yes no amount of PT can ease this pain. if you stil have cartilage left, then you can get some relief. its a tough call. the up side is that they make some great Rx anti-inflammatories to offset such knee pain and keep it in check. weather will also play a role in good and bad days (yes, its true).

really the problem is that once a total knee has been done, older individuals never regain the strength or flexibility they had pre op this is due to poor PT, poor compliance from the patient, or BOTH. most of the time, so called full recovery (about a year out, but in most cases people feel pretty good by 6 mos) they are ADEQUATELY functional in their daily activities, but in reality there are still lingering dysfunctions that only a skilled PT would be able to point out (there is literature about this with regard to long term outcomes).

ultimately it comes down what is going to be the best for YOU (to the OP) and your lifestyle. the nice thing about the TL is that the clutch is much more forgiving (pedal pressure) than say...a corvette or an evo.
My right knee has bone on bone and I'm pretty sure my left knee is like this, too. Weather doesn't seem to affect it. Mostly things like heavy use, standing, or walking on concrete (think Costco) tend to aggravate them. I have had the three injection procedure with Euflexxa twice now (once in late 2009 and the other recently), just finished the second series of these three injections two weeks ago. This helps for maybe 8 months or so, then it has worn off enough to where I have to start thinking about having it done again.

How are you this morning? Hope all is well with you. I'm going to be taking my '04 manual TL on a road trip short vacation (five days) in four weeks. I've taken this trip over 44 times and it still hasn't gotten old. Love the drive and the destination.
Old 04-03-2011, 11:35 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 38 Likes on 34 Posts
Originally Posted by I hate cars
Every time I think your posts can't get more ignorant you out do yourself. So Americans are lazy and Europeans aren't. Do you ever get tired of spewing ignorant bullshit blanket statements? Let's see your stats backing up your claim.... wait, that's right its only one person's worthless opinion.

It is very much availability and cost driven. I had this discussion many times over there.
Damn you just cant admit your wrong when your know you are. Looks like im not the only one Turbonut just backed up what i said.
Old 04-03-2011, 12:21 PM

Received 3,489 Likes on 2,089 Posts
Originally Posted by SimonCL-S6
Damn you just cant admit your wrong when your know you are. Looks like im not the only one Turbonut just backed up what i said.
I knew everything when I was 18 too
Old 04-03-2011, 12:25 PM
Team Owner

Received 1,812 Likes on 1,283 Posts
Like it or not, we have turned into a lazy society and are ranked @1 in that category and also #1 in the obesity catehory:
http://www.thedailybeast.com/galleri...st-countries/#

http://www.nationmaster.com/graph/he...health-obesity

This has gotten a little off subject, but the bottom line is that when the knee or knees are done for, no amount of exercise or therapy will help and one needs to do what they can to delay a knee replacement until it's absolutely necessary.
I agree. From what I've personally seen, the average European has better driving skills than the average American also. However, "Simon" is just pulling stats out of his ass and posting his opinion as a fact.
Old 04-03-2011, 12:28 PM
Burning Brakes

I agree. From what I've personally seen, the average European has better driving skills than the average American also. However, "Simon" is just pulling stats out of his ass and posting his opinion as a fact.
Turns out my opinion was correct ...great contradiction
Old 04-03-2011, 12:33 PM
Team Owner

Prove me wrong. Show me a stat where it says europeans get manuals because they're not lazy and Americans get them because they are. It must be coincidence that the poor people had manuals and the autos stated popping up as people became more wealthy. Your opinion is only your opinion. One day when you grow up you will understand this.
Old 04-03-2011, 12:41 PM
Burning Brakes

Prove me wrong. Show me a stat where it says europeans get manuals because they're not lazy and Americans get them because they are. It must be coincidence that the poor people had manuals and the autos stated popping up as people became more wealthy. Your opinion is only your opinion. One day when you grow up you will understand this.
Obesity rates are enough proof. Just please stop with the "when your grow up" statements. A 34 year old talking down an 18 year old online just doesnt look good, and just shows how "grown up" you are. Lets get back on topic and help OP make a good decision for himself.
Old 04-03-2011, 12:49 PM
Team Owner

Turns out my opinion was correct ...great contradiction
There was no contradiction, anyone with half a brain can see that. The subject at the time was never if Americans are getting lazier and fatter. The subject was if Americans get autos because they're lazy. Show me something that says this... Americans on average are wealthier and they can afford autos. Most of the crappy cars I drove over there did not have an auto as an option. Most engine sizes were 1.0 to 1.3L and an auto would have made the already gutless cars even slower. Again, I had this discussion many times with "actual" Europeans and lazy or not lazy had nothing to do with it.

I suggest you enroll in college and get an education. You can't take two entirely separate stats (obesity in America and Euros have a higher number of manuals) and connect them without something to back it up. I'll be happy to play that game with you but I'll have to kill a few brain cells first.
Old 04-03-2011, 12:50 PM
Team Owner

Obesity rates are enough proof. Just please stop with the "when your grow up" statements. A 34 year old talking down an 18 year old online just doesnt look good, and just shows how "grown up" you are. Lets get back on topic and help OP make a good decision for himself.
Show me this proof. Show me the link between obesity and the number of manuals in America.
Old 04-03-2011, 12:55 PM
Burning Brakes

There was no contradiction, anyone with half a brain can see that. The subject at the time was never if Americans are getting lazier and fatter. The subject was if Americans get autos because they're lazy. Show me something that says this... Americans on average are wealthier and they can afford autos. Most of the crappy cars I drove over there did not have an auto as an option. Most engine sizes were 1.0 to 1.3L and an auto would have made the already gutless cars even slower. Again, I had this discussion many times with "actual" Europeans and lazy or not lazy had nothing to do with it.

I suggest you enroll in college and get an education. You can't take two entirely separate stats (obesity in America and Euros have a higher number of manuals) and connect them without something to back it up. I'll be happy to play that game with you but I'll have to kill a few brain cells first.
Can you teach me to be as cool as you? get back on topic stop with the personal attacks idk why mods havent banned you yet. Most of my family in Europe have automatics so idk what your talking about.
Old 04-03-2011, 12:58 PM
Team Owner

Can you teach me to be as cool as you? get back on topic stop with the personal attacks idk why mods havent banned you yet. Most of my family in Europe have automatics so idk what your talking about.
Some of us contribute useful info when kids aren't bothering us. Since you're European I bet you're in better shape than me, right?
Old 04-03-2011, 01:03 PM

Received 3,489 Likes on 2,089 Posts
Is most of your family in Europe lazy as well? I mean, they have automatics, that must mean they're lazy... according to your logic at least. And if they're lazy they must be obese as well.
Old 04-03-2011, 01:46 PM
2007 TL Type-S NBP

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
I can't even imagine how out of shape a person would have to be to let the physical effort of pushing a clutch and operating a shift lever to deter them from a manual. Sorry Simon, but obesity has nothing to do with it. Does Ferrari use autos exclusively on the 458, Mercedes & BMW on almost all of their high end cars because buyers are lazy? No, it's because an auto is a luxury feature that most people prefer, like a radio. Lazy people rarely can afford new luxury cars. People don't get radios because they're too lazy to sing, they get them because they enjoy having them.
Old 04-03-2011, 03:03 PM
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
There is no beating IhateCars. just give up.
Old 04-03-2011, 03:26 PM
RAR

Received 1,286 Likes on 714 Posts
If I were to hypothesize that more americans use cars for commuting whereas more Europeans use cars for trips and the enjoyment of driving (since they have extensive public transportation available for commuting), wouldnt that be just as plausible a reason for a higher proportion of them having manuals?

Your laziness theory is full of holes simon, and it looks like you're just speaking from your prejudices.
Old 04-03-2011, 04:30 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 832 Likes on 679 Posts
Here's some viable reasoning as to why manuals in Europe:

The vast majority of Europeans use a manual but it's not looked at as being 2nd rate - if anything then it's the opposite e.g. here in the Netherlands, I have a colleague who failed the driving exam (practical) multiple times and in the end the only way she could pass was with an automatic car, so she has a driving licence which allows her to drive an automatic but not a manual - and to be honest it's not held with much credibility!

It's a different culture I know, but there are distinct advantages to having a manual car (apart from the expeirence of really "driving" rather than piloting).
- manual cars are generally cheaper than automatics to purchase anyway and hold their value as a second hand car more than automatics (at least in Europe anyway)
- performance wise manual cars are cheaper to run as well, and given the price differential between petrol (gas) between US & Europe (Europe generally paying twice the price that it is in the US), it's a pretty major factor all things considered. Engine size is also smaller and automatics don't perform as well with the kind of small compact cars which are common in Europe because a gearstick is almost a necessity to get the best from a car
- cost wise - car tax in many countries runs on a basis of weight and automatics are generally heavier than manuals
- environmental - with more efficiency a manual has obvious environmental benefits as well which is highly thought of in Europe. Some taxation systems work on Co2 emissions (linked to fuel effiency) and so there are benefits all round.

Got my vote.
Old 04-03-2011, 04:48 PM
Team Owner

Here's some viable reasoning as to why manuals in Europe:

The vast majority of Europeans use a manual but it's not looked at as being 2nd rate - if anything then it's the opposite e.g. here in the Netherlands, I have a colleague who failed the driving exam (practical) multiple times and in the end the only way she could pass was with an automatic car, so she has a driving licence which allows her to drive an automatic but not a manual - and to be honest it's not held with much credibility!

It's a different culture I know, but there are distinct advantages to having a manual car (apart from the expeirence of really "driving" rather than piloting).
- manual cars are generally cheaper than automatics to purchase anyway and hold their value as a second hand car more than automatics (at least in Europe anyway)
- performance wise manual cars are cheaper to run as well, and given the price differential between petrol (gas) between US & Europe (Europe generally paying twice the price that it is in the US), it's a pretty major factor all things considered. Engine size is also smaller and automatics don't perform as well with the kind of small compact cars which are common in Europe because a gearstick is almost a necessity to get the best from a car
- cost wise - car tax in many countries runs on a basis of weight and automatics are generally heavier than manuals
- environmental - with more efficiency a manual has obvious environmental benefits as well which is highly thought of in Europe. Some taxation systems work on Co2 emissions (linked to fuel effiency) and so there are benefits all round.

Got my vote.
I agree 100%. Our company brought an intern over from Europe. I can't remember where but she was trying to get her license and was thoroughly confused how to drive an auto. She caught on fast but it was the complete opposite of how it usually is.
Old 04-03-2011, 04:50 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by coolguy
There is no beating IhateCars. just give up.
Lol. Inaccurate and turbonut have gotten me a few times but i'm not about to give in to the lazy American theory.
Old 04-03-2011, 09:24 PM
Burning Brakes

Some of us contribute useful info when kids aren't bothering us. Since you're European I bet you're in better shape than me, right?
I would put my money on me being in better shape. I know im right so whats the point. I know how sad right, your callin me a kid because im 18 years old, yet your twice my age and throwing out immature personal attacks.
Old 04-03-2011, 09:29 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,182 Likes on 1,210 Posts
Move on- the both of you.

Last edited by ggesq; 04-03-2011 at 09:31 PM.
Old 04-04-2011, 12:43 AM
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by mau108
aren't the new ferrari's all paddle shifter auto with DSG ? MY grandfather has this, his knee has deteriorated pretty badly. IS your upper body heavy? His upper body is heavy and he walks a lot and it it what caused the wear.
I lost about 20lbs since last May. My seriously injured right knee (kneecap) doesn't hurt anymore since I lost the weight.
Old 04-04-2011, 12:50 AM
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by SilverJ
So your young enough to bike and lift weights but too old to step on a pedal to shift ? Doesn't compute.
You could be using bad form lifting weights ( on squats and/or deadlifts) and not properly warming up. If you warm up and stretch before and after lifting and practice correct form your knees and joints should be STRONGER not weaker.
I use machines for those reason, I don't want to put to much stress on my legs. I don't do stair master and very little elliptical machines. Bike riding is an easy sport that you can do well into your 70's. What you are not considering is the last 30+ years of Military, recreational sport, etc that places wear and tear on your knees. That being said my right knee is stronger than before my left knee is getting the constant work out.
Old 04-04-2011, 01:00 AM
Safety Car

stretch in the mornings + warm up that synovial fluid (bend legs multiple times)

...it's been so long, synovial fluid right? check please (pre-meds, where are you?)
Old 04-04-2011, 06:18 AM
Registered Member

Originally Posted by denny crane
I lost about 20lbs since last May. My seriously injured right knee (kneecap) doesn't hurt anymore since I lost the weight.
Hang in there my friend. Perhaps a change in your routine (exercise and other) might be just the ticket for you. In early spring of 2007, I got back into weight lifting (a Soloflex machine I've had since 1988) and since 2004, I had been doing a fast walk at work just before lunch (approximately 1.5 to 1.9 miles). Then in June 2007, out of nowhere it seemed, my knees started acting up. I varied my weight lifting and cut my work fast walk down to about 3/4's of a mile. But my knees continued to slowly get worse. I finally had to stop doing any leg-type lifting exercises at all and reduce my walk to 1/2 a mile.

In November 2009, I found out what the problem was: osteoarthritis in both knees. So in March 2010, I bought a Total Gym and have been using it for the past year. It is a low impact machine which is a good thing for bad knees and you can get a decent workout with it. It will grow muscle mass if that is your goal.

If you're like me, giving up you manual TL would be crushing. You would definitely get rapidly to the point of feeling miserable for taking such a decision. I understand how it could come to this if you just reach a point where you can no longer operate the clutch safely and correctly. But when you have gotten that far, walking and normal mobility is going to be really rough.

In the end, you'll do what you must. One alternative is if that "must" is an automatic, then at least get something that is a ball to driver otherwise.
Old 04-04-2011, 06:38 AM
3G TL/2G MDX Owner

Received 978 Likes on 803 Posts
Originally Posted by erick3
stretch in the mornings + warm up that synovial fluid (bend legs multiple times)

...it's been so long, synovial fluid right? check please (pre-meds, where are you?)
yes its synovial fluid...for osteoarthritis....moderate activity is your best friend. you will be stiff first thing the AM, its normal. just get moving. static activity is not good for our joints for long periods of time. our joints respond well to movement, it is the only way to flush wastes and bring in nutrients for the joints.

there could be a number of other things going on with the OP knee besides the actual joint. the soft tissue surrounding the knee could be restricted and cause problems as well in terms of how the knee moves.
Old 04-04-2011, 07:23 AM
Team Owner

FWIW I bought a bowflex for daily maintenance. I'll still have to go back to freeweights for competition but the bowflex saves lots of wear and tear and its good for retaining what you already have.
Old 04-04-2011, 08:16 AM
Keep Right Except to Pass

Received 44 Likes on 35 Posts
Originally Posted by TylerT
I will never drive another automatic.
I've never owned an automatic, period. Only time I drive them is when I get a rental car in the US (manuals generally not offered) or a loaner car from the Acura dealer (same), or if I'm riding with someone who has an automatic and asks me to drive. I have a very difficult time driving an automatic because I invariably cause the transmission to kick down when I didn't want to do so.
Old 04-04-2011, 09:14 AM
My TL can do this, too!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by 1995hoo
I have a very difficult time driving an automatic because I invariably cause the transmission to kick down when I didn't want to do so.
That is a symptom of lead foot syndrome.
Old 04-04-2011, 11:10 AM
Keep Right Except to Pass

Received 44 Likes on 35 Posts
Originally Posted by rksokol
That is a symptom of lead foot syndrome.
I think it's more a symptom of having driving exclusively manuals for the past 22 years such that I'm used to accelerating differently from automatic drivers. That is, most automatic-shift drivers never think about "how" to accelerate because they don't need to do so, whereas the manual driver is aware of when he's going to have to shift or whether he wants to hold a particular gear or the like. It drives me crazy when I'm behind a minivan driver who accelerates so slowly that I wind up at a speed that's too fast to be ideal for the gear I'm in but a bit too slow for the next higher gear.
Old 04-04-2011, 02:07 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by 1995hoo
I think it's more a symptom of having driving exclusively manuals for the past 22 years such that I'm used to accelerating differently from automatic drivers. That is, most automatic-shift drivers never think about "how" to accelerate because they don't need to do so, whereas the manual driver is aware of when he's going to have to shift or whether he wants to hold a particular gear or the like. It drives me crazy when I'm behind a minivan driver who accelerates so slowly that I wind up at a speed that's too fast to be ideal for the gear I'm in but a bit too slow for the next higher gear.
The one thing I have to admit that I like about manual drivers is they seem to be more aware of what's going on around them. That's a blanket statement of course. It's kind of like motorcycle riders or even when I drive my other car that makes over 600hp with no traction control, stability control, or abs. You tend to pay more attention to the road.
Old 04-04-2011, 02:51 PM
Burning Brakes

The one thing I have to admit that I like about manual drivers is they seem to be more aware of what's going on around them. That's a blanket statement of course. It's kind of like motorcycle riders or even when I drive my other car that makes over 600hp with no traction control, stability control, or abs. You tend to pay more attention to the road.
LOL thats because they are actually DRIVING
Old 04-04-2011, 03:24 PM
Drifting

Received 135 Likes on 123 Posts
so people with automatic cars arnt driving?

dude, get over yourself
Old 04-04-2011, 03:33 PM
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Love manual but living in toronto being stuck in traffic, i'm glad i have an automatic lol
Old 04-04-2011, 03:34 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by jwr0ng626

dude, get over yourself
Riding... LOL take it easy im just messin
Old 04-04-2011, 03:43 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,182 Likes on 1,210 Posts
Maybe you missed what I said earlier? Let me make it more clear- move on from replying to each other as all it would lead to is useless bickering.
Old 04-04-2011, 04:27 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by jwr0ng626

dude, get over yourself
eek! he's only joking

Quick Reply: Getting too old for a manual transmission