Getting rid of the TL

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2011 | 09:06 AM
Burning Brakes

Getting rid of the TL

Hey everyone, like the title states I'm
Getting rid of my tl prob trading it in for another car. Just don't know what car tho. It's an 06 Acura tl 6MT. I love this car but it's given me way to many problems since I bought the car with 69,000 miles and currently has 87,000. First week I bought it I had to take the car to the Acura dealer to get the whole airbag system replaced they tore my car up and replaced the whole harness. I didn't have my car for 2 weeks. Currently I'm
Having a problem where water gets in my fuse box and the dealer can not find the leak. Luckily I'm under warranty and I haven't had to pay for anything . What I'm scared off is this happening when I'm out of warranty, I was thinking of trading it in for a 08 Volkswagen gti. I'm not looking for anything to expensive. I saw one for $16,000 45,000 miles. In great condition. Are these cars reliable. Anyone know of a good car not an Acura around that price with low miles. Thanks for any help or input
Old 07-10-2011 | 09:11 AM

the same thing can happen to your future car.
You need to perform a PPI.
Pre-Purchase Inspection.

Good Luck.
Old 07-10-2011 | 09:18 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by justnspace
the same thing can happen to your future car.
You need to perform a PPI.
Pre-Purchase Inspection.

Good Luck.
I bought the Acura certified which means they should've checked for leaks. And look what's happening to me now.
Old 07-10-2011 | 09:28 AM
Turd Polisher

Lol,

Have fun with a VW if you think you think your car is a maintenance whore.
Old 07-10-2011 | 09:44 AM
Racer

Certified doesn't mean a whole lot besides the additional warranty (which is nice). You should still get a PPI with someone that doesn't have an interest in selling the car to you. The GTI is a decent car but you should look into the reliability of it.
Old 07-10-2011 | 09:47 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by TylerT
Lol,

VW are not as bad as they used to be atleast as I read in a couple reviews. They're a lot more reliables especially the newer years. But I'm not saying I'm going to get a VW that's what Im Leaning towards right now if I don't find a good car in a good price. I was also thinking of a 03 g35 but to expensive, poor interior quality, and just pure ugly inside.
Old 07-10-2011 | 10:12 AM
Instructor

Good luck on your next car.

In regards to the leak, i experienced it also. Dealer ended up reconnecting the sun roof plug, changing the door weatherstrip, but ultimately what worked was the strip along the windshield.
Old 07-10-2011 | 10:16 AM
Advanced

I don't know White Angel. If you are still under warranty and it's not costing you anything to get these things fixed, I would get as much fixed (including the 105 mile maintenance) as I can.

The way I see it is if you address the things that need addressing now, you should be good down the road. Just imagine if you bought your car with no warranty and had to do these things. At the end of the day when all is said and done, you will know your car has addressed most of it's pressing problems and hopefully should not be an issue in the near future.

Think about it for a while. Sometimes the devil you know is better than the angel across the street.
Old 07-10-2011 | 10:20 AM
Racer

I had the leak too... mine was also the windshield rubber. I just had the windshield reset and its been good every since. Sometimes the sunroof drain gets clogged up too. If you run water over your sunroof you should see it draining out behind the fender well (correct me if im wrong) but that also causes leaks. Unless your set on getting rid of it ,I'd check these things, the TL sure is a good car to be getting rid of for a leak... especially with only 87,000 miles. Just my opinion, good luck man.
Old 07-10-2011 | 11:15 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Imabeast31
I had the leak too... mine was also the windshield rubber. I just had the windshield reset and its been good every since. Sometimes the sunroof drain gets clogged up too. If you run water over your sunroof you should see it draining out behind the fender well (correct me if im wrong) but that also causes leaks. Unless your set on getting rid of it ,I'd check these things, the TL sure is a good car to be getting rid of for a leak... especially with only 87,000 miles. Just my opinion, good luck man.
So you guys are saying if I replaced the windshield rubber and the sunroof drain hole I should be good? No more leaks? The Acura dealer already replaced 1 fuse box now this is the second one. I'm taking the car Tuesday. Last time they said they couldn't find the leak. Should I just tell them
To replaced the windshield rubber and the sunroof drain hose?
Old 07-10-2011 | 11:18 AM
Burning Brakes

Also I have that st800 smart system
Installed, I pretty sure the dealer is going to blame all the electrical problems to that. Should i get everything removed before even taking the car to them?
Old 07-10-2011 | 11:25 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by **WhItE-aNgEl**
Installed, I pretty sure the dealer is going to blame all the electrical problems to that. Should i get everything removed before even taking the car to them?
You should have it remove they will blame anything that will cause the problem.... some dealer said anything aftermarket they will void the warranty.
Old 07-10-2011 | 11:55 AM

I bought the Acura certified which means they should've checked for leaks. And look what's happening to me now.
although, they do an inspection, you should always get another inspection done by either yourself or a trusted mechanic when buying a used vehicle.

furthermore, even if you did get a mechanic to check out the leak, most likely he wouldnt know what to look for.

thats the great thing about forums, you can check what kind of problems are on a particular car that you want.

I suggest getting comfortable with some GTI fourms.
Old 07-10-2011 | 12:52 PM
Instructor

if you trade it in. what are you going to do with the st800 system? keep it in or take it out and sell?
Old 07-10-2011 | 01:01 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by justinfop
if you trade it in. what are you going to do with the st800 system? keep it in or take it out and sell?
Sell it. I wouldnt mess around with a VW electrical system
Old 07-10-2011 | 01:51 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by TylerT
Lol,

Agreed. Going from one of the top rated brands in terms of reliability, to the bottom of the barrel -
Old 07-10-2011 | 01:59 PM
Racer

I agree, don't go VW or german cars for that matter, have had many friends complain about the electrical system and various sensors that constantly need replacing. As for the water leak it very well could be the windshield, check to see if you still see the honda logo on the botom left corner to see if it's been repalced before, if it has it just means the seal might need replacing. From previous acura's that I've had most leaks can come from the sunroof drain tube coming loose, ask the dealer to inspect that to make sure. GL!
Old 07-10-2011 | 02:23 PM
Burning Brakes

Right now I have the car with the battery unplugged because while the battery is plugged there's this clicking sound under the fuse box and in the engine bay. It clicks multiple times stops than starts clicking again. The car turns on sometimes but other times it try's to turn on but it won't. Once when I tried turning it on my abs and vsa light came on. I shut the car off and tried it again and everything was fine except the door pins.

http://yfrog.com/ki2zofpj

Here's a picture that's very interesting every corner of all the windshield have this faded rubber piece. Can anyone check if there car are the same?

http://yfrog.com/ki9iigqj

http://yfrog.com/gylagqqj
Old 07-10-2011 | 03:06 PM
Racer

Just don't know what car tho. It's an 06 Acura tl 6MT. I love this car but it's given me way to many problems since I bought the car with 69,000 miles and currently has 87,000. First week I bought it I had to take the car to the Acura dealer to get the whole airbag system replaced they tore my car up and replaced the whole harness. I didn't have my car for 2 weeks. Currently I'm
Having a problem where water gets in my fuse box and the dealer can not find the leak. Luckily I'm under warranty and I haven't had to pay for anything . What I'm scared off is this happening when I'm out of warranty
just curious why did you throw in more money when you knew that this car is on its way out
Old 07-10-2011 | 03:26 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by umakemekissu
just curious why did you throw in more money when you knew that this car is on its way out
I didnt know it was going to happen again. The Acura dealer fixed the problems and I was good for about 5-6 months. Till now
Old 07-10-2011 | 03:28 PM
Advanced

VW are not as bad as they used to be atleast as I read in a couple reviews. They're a lot more reliables especially the newer years. But I'm not saying I'm going to get a VW that's what Im Leaning towards right now if I don't find a good car in a good price. I was also thinking of a 03 g35 but to expensive, poor interior quality, and just pure ugly inside.
I always thought those cars had ugly interiors... so poorly thought out and put together.
Old 07-10-2011 | 03:36 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by IcouldsleepnmyTL
I always thought those cars had ugly interiors... so poorly thought out and put together.
This one actually doesn't look bad

http://m.autotrader.com/(S(yqv0ey450...461835&image=8
Old 07-10-2011 | 04:37 PM
Drifting

is that allstar in sayreville, NJ?

I wouldn't trade up to a GTI, or any VW for that matter.
Old 07-10-2011 | 04:46 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Slooo97CL
is that allstar in sayreville, NJ?

I wouldn't trade up to a GTI, or any VW for that matter.
Yeah it is. And I really don't want to. It all depends on what the dealer tells me on Tuesday.
Old 07-10-2011 | 05:07 PM
Racer

TL or die. haha
Old 07-10-2011 | 05:08 PM
Racer

if your still under warranty id make the dealership my home until the problem was surely fixed.
Old 07-10-2011 | 06:22 PM
Pro

i'll trade you my 1992 acura integra if you want reliability.. hasnt had a single problem since i've owned it..

Old 07-10-2011 | 06:42 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by Brandon21
Agreed. Going from one of the top rated brands in terms of reliability, to the bottom of the barrel -
This has been my experience. I racked up some serious mileage in VW/ Audi loaner cars.
Old 07-10-2011 | 06:56 PM

Originally Posted by KieranM37
i'll trade you my 1992 acura integra if you want reliability.. hasnt had a single problem since i've owned it..

Whiteangel, you should take this deal!!!!!!!!
Old 07-10-2011 | 07:03 PM
keep it clean

Originally Posted by sddale
Certified doesn't mean a whole lot besides the additional warranty (which is nice). You should still get a PPI with someone that doesn't have an interest in selling the car to you. The GTI is a decent car but you should look into the reliability of it.
I agree, I purchased an Acura certified car too and had to bring it back to the dealer for some repairs, which one would think is covered during the inspection. Friends that have owned VWs complain that they tend to eat oil. Since you're still under warranty, I would have the car inspected by another shop and then give the list of repairs to Acura dealership.
Old 07-11-2011 | 12:46 AM
Pro

You could also try a new Acura dealer for repairs because two weeks for any repair is incompetence (JMHO). It's not like parts aren't readily available.

Did the airbag system need replacement because of an accident?

I agree with most posts that pre-inspections are worthwhile. I wouldn't let this experience sway you from Acura's; they are great cars and you're more likely to get a good apple than your German counterparts.
Old 07-11-2011 | 06:39 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by AcuraElement
You could also try a new Acura dealer for repairs because two weeks for any repair is incompetence (JMHO). It's not like parts aren't readily available.

Did the airbag system need replacement because of an accident?

I agree with most posts that pre-inspections are worthwhile. I wouldn't let this experience sway you from Acura's; they are great cars and you're more likely to get a good apple than your German counterparts.
A week after driving the car the Airbag light came
On. They said it was the battery and they replaced it after driving home from the dealer it came back on. I took it back and they said it was the impact sensor. As I drove back home the light came back on again. And I took it once more time and they finally just took the whole car apart. And replaced the whole harness. Since that day no more airbag light. But a hell of a lot of rattling in the car
Old 07-11-2011 | 09:41 AM
Racer

No offense, but it seems a little rude, to me, to be asking Acura forums which NONACURA vehicle to buy, because of your misfortunes. Any one of these Acura enthusiast here can tell you that our cars are reliable. Good luck elsewhere.
Old 07-11-2011 | 11:22 AM
Where Did My Garage Go?!!

Buy a Honda....same family, I won't be offended!
Old 07-11-2011 | 11:27 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Guiltyox
No offense, but it seems a little rude, to me, to be asking Acura forums which NONACURA vehicle to buy, because of your misfortunes. Any one of these Acura enthusiast here can tell you that our cars are reliable. Good luck elsewhere.
I've never said our cars weren't reliable. I would just like to try another car besides Acura. A lot of ppl here don't just own acuras. When I said if anyone knows about any other reliable car not acura. I didn't mean it in a bad way. Just asking input on other cars they might own. All I ever own have been acuras and 1 Toyota and I can tell you right now I haven't had the best luck with acuras and I treat my cars like a baby. Let me start of with my 06 Acura tl. First it was my airbags, second my 3rd gear, 3rd my fuse box, 4th, my ac compressor, 5th once again back to my fuse box. I've only owned the car for not even 2 years yet I bought back in January 2010. My 2001 cl type-s already sold it. 4 fn transmissions in 9 years. Yeah very "reliable" left me stranded in the turnpike twice.. The only Acura I've had some luck with has been my 95 integra. Never had any issues with it just regular maintenance. oh and my dads MDX no problems yet with it but will see in a near future. I guess acuras don't like me very much. It's come to the point where I call the dealer and they already know who I am. And this one dealer looks at my number and know it's me calling and don't even answer the phone. Yet I call from another number and they pick up right away. I'm not trying to criticize no Acuras cuz I love these cars. But the problem might be just me. I honestly don't know.
Old 07-11-2011 | 11:58 AM
Instructor

Definitely not your fault. And you deserve to be picky, its your money. Just don't lose patience and/or try to solve the issue yourself.
The following users liked this post:
**WhItE-aNgEl** (07-11-2011)
Old 07-11-2011 | 01:26 PM
Instructor

Here's a picture that's very interesting every corner of all the windshield have this faded rubber piece. Can anyone check if there car are the same?

http://yfrog.com/ki9iigqj

http://yfrog.com/gylagqqj
mine has the same fading, but no leaks so far. I dont know if these help as it doesnt rain as much here in socal.
**WhItE-aNgEl** (07-11-2011)
Old 07-11-2011 | 01:39 PM
Instructor

I've never said our cars weren't reliable. I would just like to try another car besides Acura. A lot of ppl here don't just own acuras. When I said if anyone knows about any other reliable car not acura. I didn't mean it in a bad way. Just asking input on other cars they might own. All I ever own have been acuras and 1 Toyota and I can tell you right now I haven't had the best luck with acuras and I treat my cars like a baby. Let me start of with my 06 Acura tl. First it was my airbags, second my 3rd gear, 3rd my fuse box, 4th, my ac compressor, 5th once again back to my fuse box. I've only owned the car for not even 2 years yet I bought back in January 2010. My 2001 cl type-s already sold it. 4 fn transmissions in 9 years. Yeah very "reliable" left me stranded in the turnpike twice.. The only Acura I've had some luck with has been my 95 integra. Never had any issues with it just regular maintenance. oh and my dads MDX no problems yet with it but will see in a near future. I guess acuras don't like me very much. It's come to the point where I call the dealer and they already know who I am. And this one dealer looks at my number and know it's me calling and don't even answer the phone. Yet I call from another number and they pick up right away. I'm not trying to criticize no Acuras cuz I love these cars. But the problem might be just me. I honestly don't know.
I would feel the same way if I had that many problems in one year.

Many people would say a VW with 45,000 miles is just as likely to keep you in the shop.
Old 07-11-2011 | 02:05 PM
Burning Brakes

key notes

bought car without looking at it properly
complaining about issues 1st week of ownership
acura has fixed all within warranty
sick of maintenance issues though

wants to replace with a VW

--> VW
---> sick of maintenance issues

Old 07-11-2011 | 02:29 PM
Balling in the...

I say FTW and Trade it in for an 08 TL-S 6MT with LOW Miles. End of Story...
justnspace (07-11-2011)

Quick Reply: Getting rid of the TL