Sponsored by:

getting into 2nd gear gate ...

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2004, 08:56 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
getting into 2nd gear gate ...

hey guys,

i've searched a lot on the forum about 6MT being hard to shift and problems shifting from
1st to 2nd and from 2nd and 3rd. many people refer to break-in period and say it gets smoother
after a while. i also now about drive by wire and that RPMs stay high during upshift.

i don't shift really fast but not too slow either. there is no grinding noise while shifting to 2nd,
but often thru the stick i can feel synchronizers doing their job ... if i pause in neutrual for a moment,
it shifts smooth, but it takes too much time.

so does it really get better with time ? i don't think that synchronizers break in, do they ?? is the
only remedy to pause till RPMs drop ? it almost feels like my clutch doesn't disengage all the way
and but it catches pretty high from the floor so i don't think that's the case.

the car has about 400 miles on it. is it too soon to worry about it ?

thanks!
Old 11-09-2004, 09:17 PM
Registered Member

Received 162 Likes on 102 Posts
Do this, but do it VERY carefully. NOTE: If you are at all uncomfortable doing this, then DON'T.

Try this after the engine and transmission have thorougly warmed up.

o Press the clutch pedal all the way to the stop pad on the floor.
o Start the shifter into first gear, the slowly back it out until you believe you have separated the gear teeth.
o SLOWLY start to release the clutch a little at a time while just edging the shifter into gear.
o You should reach a point where the gears begin to spin due to the pressure plate and flywheel contacting the clutch disk.
o When this happens, note how far off the floor the pedal is.

This is the true beginning engagement point. If you are not depressing the clutch enough to completely disengage the clutch components, you will still have torque being sent to the transmission and therefore shifting is going to be more stressful on the synchronizers.

I have to reiterate. IF YOU FEEL AT ALL UNCOMFORTABLE DOING THIS LITTLE TEST.. DON'T DO IT.
Old 11-09-2004, 09:23 PM
Instructor

thanks SouthernBoy, i'll try to do it when i can. so you think my engagement point could be too close to the floor ?
Old 11-11-2004, 08:50 PM
Instructor

the results of the experiment ...

SouthernBoy,

I finally had a chance to try what you suggested. I think I got the point that you were talking about.
At this point, while edging the shifter in the gear I could feel very light gear grinding. Nothing severe,
no sounds, just light vibration on the stick. That's the point, right ?

I can't really tell if it's further form the floor of not as relative to the point where clutch engages while
shifter IS in the gear. It's pretty much the same point. And it's a least an inch or inch an a half off the
floor. I believe its should leave enough room for clutch to fully disengage. So it doesn't seem to be
the problem.

Does it ?