Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Get rear-ended/ insurance questions

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2009, 01:35 AM
socal WDP

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Get rear-ended/ insurance questions

So today I got rear ended by a 2001 Toyota highlander.

Story:
I was exiting the freeway and there was a lot of traffic that put me to a complete stop. But the guy behind me didnt notice that there was traffic or something... and then rear ended me cracking my bumper and leaving several small dents also. and my neck hurts like a bitach!

i called my insurance company telling them everything and was wondering how this will all end up. never had a car accident before dealing with insurance.

anyone know what else I should do regarding my insurance company? Someone else on the forum told me that this happened to them and got a type s bumper and id love to do the same rock the type s exhaust haha any help would be nice
Old 12-23-2009, 01:41 AM
LIST/RAMEN/WING MAHSTA 짱

Received 207 Likes on 158 Posts
You should've filled a claim with the other party's insurance company. Go see the doctor/chiropractor TOMORROW. File a claim with the other party's insurance company, and don't deal with yours. They already know your situation, so they're fine. Go get estimates from body shops that YOU want to go to, at least 2 or 3. Go and get a rental once you decide on a place to fix your car.
Old 12-23-2009, 01:57 AM
socal WDP

Originally Posted by princelybug
You should've filled a claim with the other party's insurance company. Go see the doctor/chiropractor TOMORROW. File a claim with the other party's insurance company, and don't deal with yours. They already know your situation, so they're fine. Go get estimates from body shops that YOU want to go to, at least 2 or 3. Go and get a rental once you decide on a place to fix your car.
thanks for the info man, and yeah, i reported the claim to my insurance company (we both had the same company AAA). and the claim office near my house is going to call me tomorrow about it. anyone know a good body shop in socal, mostly San Diego area?
Old 12-23-2009, 02:35 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 306 Likes on 193 Posts
get to an orthopedic doctor. My back hurt ALOT from a previous trauma, trust me you may not feel it now but later it will give you pain. Even if you don't have trouble right away, it will be logged in that you went. The longer you wait, the harder it will be to claim if you actually have trauma down the road.
Old 12-23-2009, 05:55 AM
Racer

Received 52 Likes on 32 Posts
Just went through all this BS because someone rear-ended my Maxima. Total loss cuz it was an oldie but goodie, so now I'm a TL owner. Anyway, work through their insurance company if at all possible. When you get an estimate, see if they agree it's unfit to drive the car. If you were to get hit again with the car's structure already compromised, it would be bad juju. Then demand a rental against the other guy's policy. If you both have AAA, then the associated body shop network is likely the same. Try and find a reputable place that's in network and then get an estimate from a shop you want to take it to. And +1 on getting checked out by a doctor asap.
Old 12-23-2009, 10:52 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 435 Likes on 342 Posts
how did you manage to hurt your neck? I have been rear ended on 4 different occasions and never have suffered any injuries.... and I was at a complete stop each time.

1st time was in 1997 when i was in a '89 mercury sable. damage was enough to crease both rear panels

2nd time was in 2001 when I was in my 1994 honda accord Irear ended by a crown victoria. No damage

3rd time was in 2006 when i was in my 1998 honda accord LX-C6 rear ended by a mazda 626. rear had to be reworked to the tune of $1800

4th time was earlier this year in my current car a 2002 CL type S. Damage was about $500..

Point I am trying to get at is that if your headrest is properly adjusted, your head won't snap back and you won't get injured. Your head should be up against your headrest when you are in the driving position........
Old 12-23-2009, 11:41 AM
Safety Car

Received 295 Likes on 175 Posts
Typically, I will call the police and file a report once you are involved in an accident at any situtation. Good chances if you are not at fault, at least there's a police report to back it up. It's your words against the person who is at fault. Then ya, call a lawyer and he/she will do all the works. Then call your insurance company and do a follow up. Insurance will contact you and come out to estimate the damage. You have the RIGHTS to choose your own body shop. So don't let the other party say "I know someone who can do a good job and bunch of BS". So that is pretty much it.

Hope this works out.
Old 12-23-2009, 06:12 PM
Registered TL Owner

Received 95 Likes on 62 Posts
A tip i got when I was rear ended was that you need to go see a doctor within the first 24 hours. supposedly it's better if you do.

and also, if you ask for the type-s bumper from the body shop, make sure you get it. I requested that and the body shop said ok, but they didnt order it because they said it was the same. I'd also suggest going to a body shop that Acura reccomends since it's his insurance that's paying for it too. I made the mistake of taking my car to the shop my insurance recommended because I wanted it back fast and I kinda regret it.
Old 12-23-2009, 06:38 PM
Chapter Leader (San Antonio)

Received 433 Likes on 319 Posts
You should be OK, especially when you both have the same insurance. AAA will get you help and in a rental car ASAP. Make sure you see the doctor/chiropractor and make sure to KEEP your receipt/problems. Nonetheless, thankfully, nothing worse happened.
Old 12-23-2009, 07:30 PM
GO DAWGS!! SICK'EM!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
get a police report

file insurances with the person who hit you

then contact a good lawyer
Old 12-23-2009, 07:54 PM
socal WDP

i got called by my local claim office and filled out everything that you guys basically told me to do. I'm going to see a chiropractor either saturday or sunday because most of the places are closed now due to christmas holidays. the claim office told me that the medical adjuster will contact me on monday and for me to save all my receipts.

btw: anyone know a good body shop in San Diego area? or should i just go to the one that they suggest and try to see if their body shop can get the type s bumper rather then my base bumper.
Old 12-23-2009, 09:08 PM
Safety Car

Received 295 Likes on 175 Posts
try www.yelp.com
see if there's any good body shop near SD and look at there reviews.
Old 12-23-2009, 10:56 PM
One on the right for me

Received 271 Likes on 173 Posts
You don't necessarily have to notify your insurance company but since you already did, not big deal. You can either have your own company work out the claim with the other driver's company or you can do it yourself. I've done it both ways and it was fairly easy to work it out with your own, less the deductible until it gets all worked out.

As for physical stuff - it is smart to get checked out. You never know what might have been tweaked. Good for the one poster who hasn't been injured, you'll get a cookie later. You will be reimbursed for all your doctor expenses. If it turns out nothing was injured, great, you don't have to deal with anything else. If it is something a little more serious, then you have some options