Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Gen 3 vs. Gen 4 TL

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2009, 10:51 AM
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Gen 3 vs. Gen 4 TL

First off, new to the forum. Been lurking a bit to do some research on some needed repairs for my 3rd Generation TL (2004).

Took it up to Acura (still in warranty) and they gave me a new 2009 TL for a loaner for the weekend.

I have to say I am not at all impressed. I was worried that I would be buying a new car after spending a weekend in the new one (even though I think it is ugly as sin).

Observations:

• New TL is more comfortable and larger than Gen 3
  • New TL is a little faster than Gen 3 (once the damned throttle registers)
  • Paddle shifters are pretty sweet
  • Display for radio and A/C MUCH better

• Old TL is much sportier
  • Old TL handles better and has better road feel
  • Old TL is stiffer (new TL sways like a boat when you turn)
  • Old TL is more responsive with throttle
  • Old TL WAY better looking
  • Old TL has nicer steering wheel
  • Old TL has a bigger (at least bigger opening) trunk
  • Old TL has nicer overall dash and interior appearance
  • Old TL sounds better

Just curious if I am the only one that feels this way. I have heard nothing but good about the new TL, but I sure as heck would take mine over this one.

Anyways, excited about yet another forum to follow and wanted to pitch my $0.02

-Ryan
Old 12-13-2009, 10:54 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 435 Likes on 342 Posts
The looks of the front of the new TL are enough for me to say no freaking way I would buy one......
Old 12-13-2009, 10:58 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by YeuEmMaiMai
The looks of the front of the new TL are enough for me to say no freaking way I would buy one......
Looks like a damned beak.
Old 12-13-2009, 11:18 AM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I took my 06 in for warranty work this weekend and i have a loaner,Its an 2010 tl and the only features I like is the 10 speaker 410 watt stereo system and the updated nav. Other than that I would not purchase one.
Old 12-13-2009, 11:20 AM
Advanced

Yeah, an annoyance with the new stereo though is the knob that changes the channel should be for volume and vice versa. I keep changing the damned channel everytime I want to change the volume.

Wife just got back with the car and she agrees that ours is sportier and more fun to drive.
Old 12-13-2009, 11:22 AM
Instructor

I would not trade mine in either for that monster.
Old 12-13-2009, 11:31 AM
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Unfortunately, aside from maybe the MDX there is not an Acura I would buy right now. I have been spoiled by my 07 TL-S. There is nothing in the Acura fleet anywhere close to it's blend of sportiness, fit, and function....is it perfect? Heck no...but I've driven the 09 TSX and the 09 TL and I just don't get the same feeling I do in my TL-S. I was excited to hear that they were putting the 3.5L V6 in the TSX for 2010, but I just saw a review on it on Motor Trend TV....and despite being rated at 280hp, somehow it's over a second SLOWER in 0-60 than my TL-S......anyway if I were in the car market for a sports sedan tomorrow, I'm afraid Acura would NOT be in the hunt.
Old 12-13-2009, 12:27 PM
Area on my XM

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by spinxt
Unfortunately, aside from maybe the MDX there is not an Acura I would buy right now. I have been spoiled by my 07 TL-S. There is nothing in the Acura fleet anywhere close to it's blend of sportiness, fit, and function....is it perfect? Heck no...but I've driven the 09 TSX and the 09 TL and I just don't get the same feeling I do in my TL-S. I was excited to hear that they were putting the 3.5L V6 in the TSX for 2010, but I just saw a review on it on Motor Trend TV....and despite being rated at 280hp, somehow it's over a second SLOWER in 0-60 than my TL-S......anyway if I were in the car market for a sports sedan tomorrow, I'm afraid Acura would NOT be in the hunt.
x2... I would most likely end up on an Infiniti lot.
Old 12-13-2009, 01:17 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Acura knew full well that the 4G would not appeal to all 3G owners. Unlike the 3G it is intended for buyers who care more about luxury than sportiness. But considering the TL's intended market is the typical middle-aged businessman, that's not surprising. The 3G's place is being filled by the V6 TSX. The only Acura I would consider buying is the V6 TSX but only if it was offered with a manual, which it's not. I sat in a new TSX at the dealership and really like its interior.

I'm not saying the 4G is a bad car, it just doesn't appeal to me (not sporty enough). For that price I would rather go with a G37.
Old 12-13-2009, 01:35 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by Babnik
Acura knew full well that the 4G would not appeal to all 3G owners. Unlike the 3G it is intended for buyers who care more about luxury than sportiness. But considering the TL's intended market is the typical middle-aged businessman, that's not surprising. The 3G's place is being filled by the V6 TSX. The only Acura I would consider buying is the V6 TSX but only if it was offered with a manual, which it's not. I sat in a new TSX at the dealership and really like its interior.

I'm not saying the 4G is a bad car, it just doesn't appeal to me (not sporty enough). For that price I would rather go with a G37.
I agree with your analysis of the target market of the 4G TL, which is exactly why I don't get why they continue to sell the RL......the TL is the size of the old RL and the new TSX is every bit as big as my 3G TL.
Old 12-13-2009, 02:09 PM
Looking for new mods

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts
I agree with your analysis of the target market of the 4G TL, which is exactly why I don't get why they continue to sell the RL......the TL is the size of the old RL and the new TSX is every bit as big as my 3G TL.
Thats because the 3G TL set the benchmark for acura. It became their bread and butter, so why not make it the flag ship car. Prior to 4g the RL was the flag ship car, but didnt sell as well as 3g. The new tsx is desing to replace the TLs old spot and the new TL the RL's spot. Where this leave the new RL ..who knows. Maybe retire and open a new spot for the new ugly ZDX.

Acura really needs a coupe... desperately.
Old 12-13-2009, 02:38 PM
Advanced

What I would love to see is a wagon version of the TL. Always thought a 3G wagon would look sick.
Old 12-13-2009, 03:03 PM
Acuras Only in

Of course the 3G folks here love our TL more than the 4G ... otherwise they would be migrating to the 4G forum already ...

I had the chances of driving the 4G TL (FWD) over a five-day period & honestly I'm not totally impressed comparing to my type-s ....
Old 12-13-2009, 03:13 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Looks are subjective...but the 4G 6MT is pretty quick...C&D came up with a 0 - 60 time of 5.2 seconds. In the same article it smoked a lot of other sporty premium sedans on the track. Pretty impressive!

I'm hoping that Acura puts out a 4G TL-S...I'm thinking 350 HP, 6/7 speed DSG, keep the SH-AWD, nice set of TL-S only wheels and suspension and do the same interior theme as the 3G with a good price point...I'd get one!
Old 12-13-2009, 03:37 PM
Advanced

6 speed may be better. I can tell you that the auto is not as fast as the 3G auto though even. Or if it is, it sure doesn't seem like it.
Old 12-13-2009, 03:49 PM
173rd Airborne!

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by pointerDixie214
6 speed may be better. I can tell you that the auto is not as fast as the 3G auto though even. Or if it is, it sure doesn't seem like it.
im think the 4g base auto will outrun a 3g base auto. It probably doesnt feel as quick because the 4g is a bigger more substantial car, and its much quietier.
Old 12-13-2009, 03:53 PM
Acuras Only in

Originally Posted by ACE32TL
im think the 4g base auto will outrun a 3g base auto. It probably doesnt feel as quick because the 4g is a bigger more substantial car, and its much quietier.
Yes I def. think the 3G engine has a meaner growl than the 4G ..
Old 12-13-2009, 03:55 PM
Safety Car

Received 946 Likes on 650 Posts
Originally Posted by ACE32TL
I would think the 09 TL would be just a little faster than the 04-08 base auto TL. It has approx. 30hp more and around 200lbs heavier.

James
Old 12-13-2009, 03:58 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by Ramrodthrusterpuppy
Looks are subjective...but the 4G 6MT is pretty quick...C&D came up with a 0 - 60 time of 5.2 seconds. In the same article it smoked a lot of other sporty premium sedans on the track. Pretty impressive!

I'm hoping that Acura puts out a 4G TL-S...I'm thinking 350 HP, 6/7 speed DSG, keep the SH-AWD, nice set of TL-S only wheels and suspension and do the same interior theme as the 3G with a good price point...I'd get one!

Man I take thos #'s with a grain of salt.......they do some math to calculate those numbers and you will NEVER see them in real life because their numbers include roll out calucations and that's just straight up bogus.......
Old 12-13-2009, 04:00 PM
Advanced

Have you seen the 4th gen with the ronjon grille?
seen a few over in the 4g forum n they look pretty sick
Old 12-13-2009, 04:14 PM
Suzuka Master

sure spend another $1000+ on an already expensive car
Old 12-13-2009, 04:43 PM
TL=True Love

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
id get a 4th gen TL, yea the outside is ugly, but as a driver, what u realli spend the most time seeing is the interior and the 09 TL interior is HOT.
Old 12-13-2009, 05:11 PM
Team Owner

Received 1,812 Likes on 1,283 Posts
I just posted over there, we really need to get a group together for the track, either Famoso or somewhere farther South. I don't see 30hp making up for 400lbs but there's only one way to find out.
Old 12-13-2009, 05:43 PM
Advanced

Interior is nice, but I am telling you it is not a driver's car like the 3G ones. Drive one and you will know what I mean.
Old 12-13-2009, 05:45 PM
NBP is a pain...

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by wall e
id get a 4th gen TL, yea the outside is ugly, but as a driver, what u realli spend the most time seeing is the interior and the 09 TL interior is HOT.
Agreed. I don't mind the exterior. I'm probably the only one on AZ who doesn't mind the exterior haha. It's not that horrendous. I think it'll take a while for people to get used to because it's such a radical design.
Old 12-13-2009, 06:19 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Man I take thos #'s with a grain of salt.......they do some math to calculate those numbers and you will NEVER see them in real life because their numbers include roll out calucations and that's just straight up bogus.......
I'm not so sure about that. Out of the major automotive publications I hold C & D as more honest than most....even with their BMW bias. They haven't been kind to the 4G TL in their reviews so I don't see them cooking numbers for it to come out on top. I agree with IHC....get a bunch to a track and let's do an Azine comparo!

Interior is nice, but I am telling you it is not a driver's car like the 3G ones. Drive one and you will know what I mean.

Not so sure about that either...I'd take AWD over FWD any day. FWD is counter intuitive for a "driver's car".
Old 12-13-2009, 07:32 PM
Advanced

The one I have is not AWD. The 2009 I have is FWD. And I am telling you it is not as responsive.

Even the AWD reverts to FWD, ,so if we're talking a true "driver's car" we should be talking about BMW< Mercedes, and Audi, and other RWD cars...
Old 12-13-2009, 07:48 PM
Team Owner

Received 6,470 Likes on 5,162 Posts

+3

Originally Posted by Babnik

+2....excellent assessment.

Originally Posted by Ramrodthrusterpuppy

Now we're talking, but I still hold to the fact that you have to love what you drive (the looks of the car). I still can't past the look of the nose of the 4G, unless you put the new RonJon grill on it.
Old 12-13-2009, 09:55 PM
a baller

Interior = 4G > 3G
Exterior = 3G > 4G

Maybe it was just the fact that it was a brand new car, but the 4G's interior blows the 3G's out of the water.
Old 12-13-2009, 11:24 PM
'06 TL 5AT NAV Anthracite

I've driven an '09 AWD. I drove it on the Capital Beltway (I-495) from Bethesda to Silver Spring (and back) which has a few nice curves. I hit 115 MPH and it felt nice, but as I told the salesperson... I just can't even begin to get past the styling of the 4G. I think it is hideous. The last time I was getting my car serviced, I told another guy that I'm a big Honda guy and sadly if I were in the market for a new car, it would not be an Acura (nor Honda) as I don't like where they've gone in terms of styling. The MDX is cool, but I don't want a SUV. The TSX is not too bad, but thinking about how good the 1G TSX looked again makes me disappointed.

Yes, I can agree that the 4G's interior is nicer than the 3G. However, I have to also like the exterior and the 4G doesn't even come close. I'm really not in the market for a new car now, but in 4-5 years or so, I hoping that Honda/Acura realize the error of their ways and right the styling ship.
Old 12-14-2009, 08:24 AM
Racer

yeah.... pretty disappointing to see the 4G.... its like the car is aging.... 1G to 3G looked good, better by every generation.... now into its 4G....it's going downhill....
Old 12-14-2009, 09:05 AM
Advanced

I think Acura needs to be differentiated from the Honda line in order for long term success to be possible.

It doesn't bother me that my TL is FWD because I bought mine for reliability and economy, with the added bonus of it being luxurious and fun to drive.

However, if I was looking for a true performance sedan, I wouldn't have even glanced this way. This is a great car for what it is, but the fact is the 4G has lost what edge the car had in its segment (except price).

I am just disappointed is all since this is my 3rd Honda, and I fear it is my last. (Except maybe an MDX).

I think the AWD is a good transition to making all the sedans RWD. If the next generation offers RWD that would make me very excited though.

New TSX are pretty sweet. I have gotten in one yet, but I hope the trim is nicer than the old ones. I felt the Accord was a nicer (more plush) car than the 1G TSX.
Old 12-14-2009, 09:30 AM
Safety Car

Received 946 Likes on 650 Posts
Originally Posted by I hate cars
I just posted over there, we really need to get a group together for the track, either Famoso or somewhere farther South. I don't see 30hp making up for 400lbs but there's only one way to find out.
I dont know if your talking about the AWD version, but from what I read the base 09 TL is only about 200lbs heavier than the 3G.

tucbryanker,
Regarding your post I do agree the 09 TL's interior is very nice however I wouldnt go as far as saying it blows it out of the water. For being the old generation the 3G's interior still looks very fresh and modern. Atleast the updated 07/08's do anyway.

James
Old 12-14-2009, 09:56 AM
Advanced

Crap. Well, looks like I am stuck with this car for another day.

They replaced the seal for the Power steering and it is still making the noise until it warms up. Looks like a new Power steering pump and hose for me.

Also my radio ALWAYS makes a low static noise on any setting when the car is ON. They say they can't recreate it. I'm like, "OK, let me know if you don't get it by lunch and I will head up there and I will get it to do it. Considering it does it every time!"

Can't get Check Engine light to flash like it did (flashed for 30 seconds when I accelerated VERY hard). I told them there was a TSB for widening the parameters for the computer to indicate a mis-fire in a cylinder. They still won't do it until they can recreate it. No, there were no codes stored.

And they did manage to fix my Driving position memory seating.

I just want my dang car back. This dealership has always been TOP notch with 110% satisfaction from me in service, but now I have a new girl up there and she sucks.

Oh well, at least I have a ride and all repairs are under warranty, so no complaints for me.

Just had to vent.
Old 12-15-2009, 05:15 PM
Advanced

Got my Car Back!!!!!!!

All I can say after spending 5 days with the new 2009 TL, is THANK GOD!

That car is nothing but an ugly, faster Honda Accord. No way is the fit and finish near as nice as 3G and the driving experience cannot even compare. Might be faster in a straight line, but not by much and get into curves and it's game over. I will say the one I had was NOT the SH-AWD model, but the interior finish seemed to be cheaper, exterior is ugly (except from rear (I do LOVE the rear of the new TL), steering wheel feels better in 3G, etc...

I guess to each their own, but the new TL reminded me of a car a 60 year old woman would be happy with. Motor didn't sound NEAR as good. Car seriously did not feel like a true luxury car, but more like a glorified Accord. And I would never say that about a 3G TL.

Anywho, got mine home. They had washed her, so I washed again, clay barred, and waxed. Also shampooed and conditioned the leather. Damn I missed my car. Took her for a drive on the way home and abused the hell out of her, but hey, she likes it rough.
Old 12-15-2009, 05:18 PM
Former Whiner

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
+1
3g>4g
Old 12-15-2009, 05:21 PM
Advanced

Another thought- I cannot believe how bad the body roll is on the new TL. My 2007 Honda Accord wasn't even as bad.
Old 12-15-2009, 05:55 PM
Area on my XM

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by KingKevin21
+1
3g>4g
+2

It's been a year since I first saw one, and I can't get past the exterior design. To each their own, but I'd revert back to a 1G TSX if I couldn't find a low mileage UA7 TL-S.
Old 12-15-2009, 05:57 PM
Advanced

As off putting as the looks are, it's the driving that killed it for me.

Just felt cheap. I don't care what it says on paper, it is not as good a driver as the 3G. Period.
Old 12-15-2009, 06:23 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,182 Likes on 1,210 Posts

That car is nothing but an ugly, faster Honda Accord.
What do you think the 3G is? It's a fancy Accord too; albeit alot better looking than the Accord or the 4G IMHO of course.

Quick Reply: Gen 3 vs. Gen 4 TL