Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Gas Pedal Pressure

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2004, 11:22 AM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Gas Pedal Pressure

Replaced stock tires with Pirelli PZero Neros. Noticeable improvement across the board. My one comment is that it takes me more effort in applying pressure to the gas pedal with the new tires than what it took for the original tires when accelerating. My foot feels more fatigued (just call me crazy). Is this normal? Has anyone else experienced this? Is this because the Pirelli's stick more to the surface of the road? Is there a valid reason for this or am I just trippin?
Old 01-14-2004, 11:27 AM
Dr. TLS

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I know those tires are grippy. They weren't rated #1 on TireRack for nothing! I'm gonna get them as soon as I need new tires.
Old 01-14-2004, 12:04 PM
SSH
Advanced

What pressure are you running? You might want to add a couple of pounds to see if it makes a difference.

Did you get the M+S Neros? How was noise and ride quality affected?
Old 01-14-2004, 12:45 PM
Pro

Re: Gas Pedal Pressure

Originally posted by waymay1305
Replaced stock tires with Pirelli PZero Neros. Noticeable improvement across the board. My one comment is that it takes me more effort in applying pressure to the gas pedal with the new tires than what it took for the original tires when accelerating. My foot feels more fatigued (just call me crazy).
Ok, you're crazy! TL uses "drive-by-wire" meaning, among other things, that the pedal feel is always the same and is not influenced by any external mechanical factors, like the tire qualities.

Is it possible you or someone else have changed your seat position?
Old 01-14-2004, 01:27 PM
LGG
Advanced

Whatever does drive-by-wire have to do with anything? If the new tires have greater rolling resistance than the old ones (almost certainly true as you can bet the EL42s were picked, at least in part, to get the best EPAs possible) then it will take more throttle to achieve the same acceleration. More throttle = foot further to floor. If the return spring effort is at all non-linear, and, yes, the TBW (throttle-by-wire--a more precise description) has a return spring, then this would also equate to more foot force.
Old 01-14-2004, 02:26 PM
Pro

Originally posted by LGG
Whatever does drive-by-wire have to do with anything? If the new tires have greater rolling resistance than the old ones (almost certainly true as you can bet the EL42s were picked, at least in part, to get the best EPAs possible) then it will take more throttle to achieve the same acceleration. More throttle = foot further to floor. If the return spring effort is at all non-linear, and, yes, the TBW (throttle-by-wire--a more precise description) has a return spring, then this would also equate to more foot force.
This is even crazier than the original post! Maybe there's a 0.5%-1% difference in the amount of extra effort on the engine due to higher rolling resistance. Do you REALLY think this is detectable by the muscles in a human leg???
Old 01-14-2004, 03:26 PM
Rum Runner

Originally posted by dulnev
This is even crazier than the original post! Maybe there's a 0.5%-1% difference in the amount of extra effort on the engine due to higher rolling resistance. Do you REALLY think this is detectable by the muscles in a human leg???
Maybe he's not human

JK
Old 01-14-2004, 04:10 PM
BOOK EM

Thats a good one
Old 01-14-2004, 04:31 PM
LGG
Advanced

IF the difference in rolling resistance is that small, what you say is true. What makes you so sure it's that small? Why do my new Pirellis on my CR-V at higher pressure get almost 5% less gas mileage than the original Bridgestones if the difference in rolling resistance they are creating only causes "0.5%-1% difference in the amount of extra effort on the engine"??? Where's all the extra gas going?
Old 01-14-2004, 05:24 PM
Pro

Originally posted by LGG
IF the difference in rolling resistance is that small, what you say is true. What makes you so sure it's that small? Why do my new Pirellis on my CR-V at higher pressure get almost 5% less gas mileage than the original Bridgestones if the difference in rolling resistance they are creating only causes "0.5%-1% difference in the amount of extra effort on the engine"??? Where's all the extra gas going?
I'm not saying that the difference in rolling resistance is that small. The rolling resistance is only one of the forces that the engine spends power on. The other are the air resistance, friction of various components of the engine, etc. Even if there's a 5% difference in rolling resistance, the overall effect on power drainage is going to be a lot less than 5%. Just simple math...
Old 01-14-2004, 05:44 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 3,063 Likes on 2,119 Posts
I'm not saying that the difference in rolling resistance is that small. The rolling resistance is only one of the forces that the engine spends power on. The other are the air resistance, friction of various components of the engine, etc. Even if there's a 5% difference in rolling resistance, the overall effect on power drainage is going to be a lot less than 5%. Just simple math...
agreed, when i run R compund tires on my car for autocrossing (FAR stickier than the neros) you cant feel a difference on the gas pedal. launching the car is a little trickier when trying to do it BALLS out, but normal take off and durring normal driving you wont notice the diff on the pedal, that would require ALOT of (drag like towing something) to notice having to use more gaspreasure and they arent that grippy to have that much rolling resistance
Old 01-14-2004, 08:13 PM
LGG
Advanced

So, what is the difference in rolling resistance from a very low resistance tire to a very high one? Of the total energy budget, at low speeds (where aero drag is much less significant) how much is lost to what factors? I'm thinking tire rolling resistance is one of the bigger sinks for the energy.

All I know, is that tires seem to be able to make a significant (in the case of the Pirelli's now on my CR-V, about 5%) in gas mileage. The gas is going somewhere (rolling resistance is all that's left if only the tires have changed) and coming from somewhere (throttle).