Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The Gas Cap Ball Is The Devil

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2004, 11:31 PM
Team Camel Executive VP

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The Gas Cap Ball Is The Devil

After a month of resistance, I finally tried using the gas cap holder as originally intended today. If you're lucky enough to twist off the cap and twirl it properly so that it's pointing in the right orientation, you'll see the little testicle there and then just try to put it in that door-slot. It's not intuitive, it's not 'luxurious', and it's certainly not durable.

Bad job, Acura. Give us a metal cradle.
Old 04-16-2004, 11:34 PM
Safety Car

hmmmm really i have used it since day one never had a problem with it. i don't think there is a perfect solution. i don't like the cradle either cause of the dirt getting on the gas cap.
Old 04-17-2004, 12:11 AM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 86 Likes on 30 Posts
Cool

Why did you bring this topic again? It's not longer enough...?

http://www.acura-tl.com/forums/showthread.php?t=75723
Old 04-17-2004, 12:13 AM
Moderator Alumnus

caball88... I have the same concerns as you have in previous thread... but someone didn't get it...
Old 04-17-2004, 12:37 AM
Powered by Guinness

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
You just wanted to kick off a thread that included the word 'testicle' didn't you?

...J/K
Old 04-17-2004, 02:26 AM
My name is RL.

Originally Posted by boltjames
After a month of resistance, I finally tried using the gas cap holder as originally intended today. If you're lucky enough to twist off the cap and twirl it properly so that it's pointing in the right orientation, you'll see the little testicle there and then just try to put it in that door-slot. It's not intuitive, it's not 'luxurious', and it's certainly not durable.

Bad job, Acura. Give us a metal cradle.
You mean to tell me you pump your own gas?

Just kidding. I agree, it could be improved.
Old 04-17-2004, 08:32 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Old-style reply: Search the damn forums! Read the f'ing manual! Go away, we don't want any!

New-style reply: Since the search function doesn't work, and the manual is comparable in size to "War and Peace" and since this forum has become a great place to hang out and laugh about silly stuff because we've already hammered all the real issues to death (and then some), by all means let's have another thread about the gas cap!

I still agree with bj! It sucks!

Rets - your point is well-taken (we don't want you to feel ignored by any means), but I'm wondering - did you have a second-gen TL/CL before? Because the cradle in those cars was excellent and the current design is an obvious cheapening, downgrading, Commie plot to subvert our beloved TL and raise the price of gas and create more chaos in the middle East! Shame, Acura, for shame!

And if anyone thinks any of the above should be taken seriously, then I recommend Ex-Lax or Metamucil.

And those who disagree will be punished by confinement to a thread with only 1le to talk to.
Old 04-17-2004, 08:45 AM
Administrator

Received 1,005 Likes on 575 Posts
Nothing to add, except I just want to add my name to this thread. How long will it take this one to reach 1,000?
Old 04-17-2004, 09:55 AM
Banned

Someone's testicles must be very small!
Old 04-17-2004, 10:40 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by Aegir
You just wanted to kick off a thread that included the word 'testicle' didn't you?

...J/K

Hmm....seems like you having more testicle problems (or obsession) than the rest of the average TL owners here. You might want to get that checked
Old 04-17-2004, 01:04 PM
Outta my way!!

OK, OK I see ppl getting pissed on this topic, but nobody seems to bring up a realy annoing thing to Acura's attention, Hello Acura, r u listening?? Here I go:

Did anybody use a full service gas station when an attendant does everithing for you? No? Then listen here Acura and other people in states where it is MANDATORY to use full-service gas stations (NJ is one of them)

When an attendant unscrews your gas cap and just drops it down
and leaves it hanging off bouncing, not only does it leave a tiny-viny dent under your gas hatch, but now it keeps making little scratches which eventualy look worse and worse. Why does the dumb attendant does this?
May be because the dumb designers at Acura deicded that every gas station attendand should be trained when new Acura come out? Or did my gas attendand missed that training provided by Acura??? No and No!!
It's just NOT INTUITIVE !

So please, Acura, next time you decide to cheapen out of the previously proven excellent solution, THINK TWICE (or more), 'cuz the little things like this make us wonder wtf are your engineers thinking sometimes.
Old 04-17-2004, 01:38 PM
Instructor

Um....well who cares about New Jersey, really. Acura is based in Torrance, CA and answers to Tokyo... so Joisey really ain't on their radar, nor should it be!!!
Old 04-17-2004, 02:00 PM
Instructor

Wink You Gotta Break Balls To Get Action At Times !

Originally Posted by vash68
OK, OK I see ppl getting pissed on this topic, but nobody seems to bring up a realy annoing thing to Acura's attention, Hello Acura, r u listening?? Here I go:

Did anybody use a full service gas station when an attendant does everithing for you? No? Then listen here Acura and other people in states where it is MANDATORY to use full-service gas stations (NJ is one of them)

When an attendant unscrews your gas cap and just drops it down
and leaves it hanging off bouncing, not only does it leave a tiny-viny dent under your gas hatch, but now it keeps making little scratches which eventualy look worse and worse. Why does the dumb attendant does this?
May be because the dumb designers at Acura deicded that every gas station attendand should be trained when new Acura come out? Or did my gas attendand missed that training provided by Acura??? No and No!!
It's just NOT INTUITIVE !

So please, Acura, next time you decide to cheapen out of the previously proven excellent solution, THINK TWICE (or more), 'cuz the little things like this make us wonder wtf are your engineers thinking sometimes.
When I bought my oldest son his 2001 Honda Civic EX. We went to get gas and the first thing I noticed, there was NO PLACE AT ALL TO REST THE GAS CAP. ASAP I called Honda CS and they seemed to be in shock. They took my name and information down. 2 years later, I bought a 2003 Honda Civic EX for my youngest son. Upon delivery, I opened the gas cap door and guess what was inside ? A traditional gas cap holder. The problem was corrected. However, I do not know if it was corrected for the 2002' or 2003' model year.

But the bottom line is, if you have a problem, especially problems that affect many of you. ( Tires, Vibration, Leather , Painting, Transmission ......etc ) Unless you get on the phone with Acura CS and Bridgestone CS and break balls everyday. Don't expect much. The squeeky wheel get oiled ! I hope that these problems will be corrected in the fall, when I order my 2005' TL
Old 04-17-2004, 08:57 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Originally Posted by TLGator
...did you have a second-gen TL/CL before? Because the cradle in those cars was excellent and the current design is an obvious cheapening, downgrading, Commie plot to subvert our beloved TL and raise the price of gas and create more chaos in the middle East! Shame, Acura, for shame!...

Got u. I don't own any TL before this one. It's pretty bad that Acura wouldn't carry over the good stuff to the current model.
Old 04-17-2004, 11:47 PM
Safety Car

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
i think its a crappy design .. i can't believe they'd switch to the "ball" compared w/ the 2003 "socket" mechanism that most manufacterer's use..
Old 04-18-2004, 01:22 AM
CEO, Team Anthracite

Someone suggested cutting the plastic so the cap cannot hang loose... and if you do that, they'll be forced to put it on your car or hang it from the hook.
Old 04-18-2004, 10:07 AM
Three Wheelin'

Problem is, some of them would indeed PUT IT ON YOUR CAR - as in, they might sit the nasty gas-and-crud-filled inside ring right on top of your shiny Zaino finish!

The only good solution for people living in NJ (and any other mandatory-full-serve states if any others exist - and what's up with that stoooopid f'ing law in the first place) is to cut the cord and install your own cradle - either by building one or getting one from a wrecked 2G TL/CL or comparable car.

For those of us who don't live in NJ but occasionally drive through and might have to fill up there (I try to fill up in Manhattan or Delaware and drive through NJ without stopping, but if you can't) would be to get out of the car and instruct the attendant on where to hook the gas cap. What a pain, but it beats having the cap drop down and damage the paint.

Again I say, for shame Acura! For shame!
Old 04-18-2004, 01:51 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Originally Posted by TLGator
...would be to get out of the car and instruct the attendant on where to hook the gas cap. What a pain, but it beats having the cap drop down and damage the paint...

Very true... victim here... way back to Oct. the very first week I had chance to fill up my tank in the gas station in front of Holland Tunnel. That damn gas employee just scratched my car...

I have to guide them how to do each in NJ now.
Old 04-18-2004, 02:24 PM
Racer

Maybe the little worms that came out of the headliner came down into the gas tank and stripped the little ball that holds the gas cap on the tank door?
Old 04-19-2004, 12:04 PM
Team Anthracite Member

That was me. Guy usually puts it up on the gas pump...I know he would have let it go swinging otherwise. No one seems to get the tip thing on there...

Cut those cords!!

Originally Posted by Lore
Someone suggested cutting the plastic so the cap cannot hang loose... and if you do that, they'll be forced to put it on your car or hang it from the hook.
Old 04-19-2004, 12:05 PM
Team Anthracite Member

Ouch.

Originally Posted by rick955i
Um....well who cares about New Jersey, really. Acura is based in Torrance, CA and answers to Tokyo... so Joisey really ain't on their radar, nor should it be!!!