Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fun with a SRT4 and volvo

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2005, 01:38 AM
iLL TL 4U2Try

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Fun with a SRT4 and volvo

Here I am minding my own business, I come up to a light and pull up next to a srt4... check him out, loud music, rev happy young kid.... light turns green we are second in line and the car in front of me takes off fast to where I can cut off the car in front of the srt... as I do that the srt comes to the lane I was in and cuts in front of the car that was in front of him, comes up behind me then the only right think to do was down shift to 2nd and beat him to the red light ahead... Now it's on.... adrenaline pumping, VSA off light turns green I had a clean jump.... I take him on 1st and 2nd, and as i'm on 5000 rpm on 2nd I hear his blow valve " PsssSS" into 3rd then as I went into third the half a car length I had on him turned into a half car length he had on me... at this point I'm thinking oh hell naw I'll get a ticket but this F*CKING NEON on Steroids is not beatting me heheehe, so I red line 3rd and pass him half way on 4th! It was so pretty!!! So I get on I 95 and head over to west palm beach and as I exit I pull up to the red light and there was this red volvo on blck rims and a loud noise comming from the engine as if it was diesel, but I was pretty sure it was turbo... VSA off... Light is green I punch it... Not knowing if buddy was going to come I took a 2 second delay into 1st to 2nd , so I saw him comming I let loose on him.... GUys that dude must have had the biggest turbo upgrade for the car because after redling every gear until 4th he got a 6 feet car length in front of me We pull up to the red light he rolls down his window so I roll down mines and the guys is like OMG dude what the hell did you do to that car?! I tell him proudly.... Nothing yet! and smile I asked him what did he have done and he started saying a whole bunch of things, so I said sounds like you spent alot of money lol... I guess on this one it just felt good to impress a guy with a car all hooked up..... stock!
I love my TL... I just got home and kinda tipsy, but had to let my fellow TLers know what we can take out there Later guys
Old 03-06-2005, 01:57 AM
Racer

srt 4 would smoke you if he tried.
Old 03-06-2005, 09:34 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by 1nePhatTL
Not necessarily if it was stock. Upgraded, hell yeah.
Old 03-06-2005, 09:45 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by gsxr60097
Not necessarily if it was stock. Upgraded, hell yeah.
upgraded or not, you're getting smoked. those things hit 60 i believe in low 5's and quater mile in low 13's, Watch it.
Old 03-06-2005, 11:11 AM
Team NightHawk VP

i was actually looking into the srt4 until reality hit me in the head and realized that it was still a neon
Old 03-06-2005, 11:18 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I do not believe some of the stuff I hear on here. Some people that try to race me I just push it enough to see how nuts they are... As the TL driver mention he was red lining his car in the first 3 gears. Not many people want to beat up their iron just to win a race..

Also remember that SRT is puting out 245-250 torque at 2400RPMs and is weighs at least 600 pounds less than a tl The engine tops out early but hell it is just a 2.4 4cyl... 0-60 in under 6 seconds...

The volvo if it was a 60 r puts down 295 torque at 1950 rpms... and 300 ponies over all...

That car even though edmund rates it at a 0-60 romp in 6.12 seconds should be able to beat out tl. And if it has any upgrades...

And if the cars are evenly matched, a second in the reaction time makes all the difference... If one guy starts going a second earlier than the other, it is a lot to make up if the cars are pretty well matched
Old 03-06-2005, 11:18 AM
Three Wheelin'

m

I do not believe some of the stuff I hear on here. Some people that try to race me I just push it enough to see how nuts they are... As the TL driver mention he was red lining his car in the first 3 gears. Not many people want to beat up their iron just to win a race..

Also remember that SRT is puting out 245-250 torque at 2400RPMs and is weighs at least 600 pounds less than a tl The engine tops out early but hell it is just a 2.4 4cyl... 0-60 in under 6 seconds...

The volvo if it was a 60 r puts down 295 torque at 1950 rpms... and 300 ponies over all...

That car even though edmund rates it at a 0-60 romp in 6.12 seconds should be able to beat out tl. And if it has any upgrades...

And if the cars are evenly matched, a second in the reaction time makes all the difference... If one guy starts going a second earlier than the other, it is a lot to make up if the cars are pretty well matched
Old 03-06-2005, 01:45 PM
Spinnin them beats

Received 46 Likes on 33 Posts
the srt-4 is purdy fast: rated 0-60 in 5.3 sec which the volvo (which was tested against the tl a-spec) 0-60 in bout 6.1.......

(overall though, the tl a-spec won tho...)
Old 03-06-2005, 01:48 PM
Team Owner

Received 249 Likes on 175 Posts
upgraded or not, you're getting smoked. those things hit 60 i believe in low 5's and quater mile in low 13's, Watch it.

They don't. Stage 1 will drop it down into the mid 13s. Stage II will get it in the high 13s/low 12s
Old 03-06-2005, 01:48 PM
Advanced

Bear in mind that (especially with powerful FWD cars like the Neon SRT) that it will take an expert driver to get a good launch and extract the maximum performance from the car.

One slightly missed shift or just a little too much wheelspin at launch makes a huge difference in 0-60 times. So a well-driven TL is quite capable of beating a less-than-perfectly driven Neon or other car whose performance is better _on paper_.
Old 03-06-2005, 03:48 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by dramsey
Bear in mind that (especially with powerful FWD cars like the Neon SRT) that it will take an expert driver to get a good launch and extract the maximum performance from the car.

One slightly missed shift or just a little too much wheelspin at launch makes a huge difference in 0-60 times. So a well-driven TL is quite capable of beating a less-than-perfectly driven Neon or other car whose performance is better _on paper_.
More times than not, I see 16 year olds driving the SRT-4's, and usually they are not expert drivers capable of getting the max performance.
Old 03-06-2005, 04:00 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by iLL TL
I love my TL... I just got home and kinda tipsy, but had to let my fellow TLers know what we can take out there Later guys

I hope you weren't tipsy when you are racing.
Old 03-06-2005, 07:04 PM
iLL TL 4U2Try

Originally Posted by apwalsh
More times than not, I see 16 year olds driving the SRT-4's, and usually they are not expert drivers capable of getting the max performance.
I agree 100 %... until reality hit me too I was comtemplating into getting a srt4 too but it is still a NEON even though it has balls... To tell the thruth the only reason I didn't get one was because the insurance was going to be 450 bucks a month and that's with 2 points on my license. I was not about to be making a higher insurance price then the car it self. I guess it's so fast but it has no safety... you crash with that thing kiss your ass goodbye and you did more good than bad cause you bying the farm my friends. I even test drove one... I was very impressed with the power... I'll tell you one thing put a srt4 in my hands and i'll rape a TL. just like I would rape a srt4 in a TL
Old 03-06-2005, 07:14 PM
Advanced

Yeah man. srt is fast and all, but it's a fuckin neon. Think about for a second next time you're sittin the drivers seat of your TL. Look around, then look inside a NEON.

You want fast, get a bike
Old 03-06-2005, 07:36 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by RhythmAddict
Yeah man. srt is fast and all, but it's a fuckin neon. Think about for a second next time you're sittin the drivers seat of your TL. Look around, then look inside a NEON.

id rather drive a tl anyday of the week than a fast piece of shit. that little car gets no respect anywhere. no repect = no pussy
Old 03-06-2005, 07:48 PM
Racer

i dunno guys im 18 and racing is fun and all but.........when im crusin in my tl and the weather is nice and sunny , windows down music playing and youre not raping the car....its a sweet feeling. im sure anyone here with a tl did not get it for racing , theres plenty of other cars to do that with. remember why you fell in love with your car first time you drove it . but if some mofo asks for it its nice to show him wat we got under our asses
Old 03-06-2005, 10:10 PM
S2000: S stands for Sheep

Originally Posted by naba2002
i dunno guys im 18 and racing is fun and all but.........when im crusin in my tl and the weather is nice and sunny , windows down music playing and youre not raping the car....its a sweet feeling. im sure anyone here with a tl did not get it for racing , theres plenty of other cars to do that with. remember why you fell in love with your car first time you drove it . but if some mofo asks for it its nice to show him wat we got under our asses

my thoughts exactly
Old 03-06-2005, 10:17 PM
[]( O)( O)% []D[][]V[][]D

0-60 in 6.8....it's still a neon
Old 03-07-2005, 12:07 AM
Advanced

According to this link, it's 5.6.

http://www.modernracer.com/dodgeneonsrt4.html

However, I have no idea where they're gettin their numbers from...but 6.8 sounds mighty slow for a car that is 2970 lbs and has 230 HP.
Old 03-07-2005, 06:48 AM
Three Wheelin'

6.8 lol that might be the regular neon...

hell consumer reports said 0-60 in 6.7 seconds for the 5AT. I am sure the 6MT would be rated at like 6.3 in the same mag.
Old 03-07-2005, 08:26 AM
[]( O)( O)% []D[][]V[][]D

theres soo many diff opinions on the numbers, but if u ask me, it's still a chrysler, i would never be cought dead in one, especially a neon on steriods
Old 03-07-2005, 08:39 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,662 Likes on 927 Posts
Originally Posted by mickey3c
6.8 lol that might be the regular neon...

hell consumer reports said 0-60 in 6.7 seconds for the 5AT. I am sure the 6MT would be rated at like 6.3 in the same mag.
In CR, my 2002 Maxima was rated at 8.0 0-60 and 16.2 in the qtr mile.

Originally Posted by mickey3c

Head to head (stock) all other things being even, I'd put my money on the S60R over the TL . Even at 3700lbs, that thing's a beast.
Old 03-07-2005, 09:55 AM
Now with i-Vtec

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
SRT-4 is FastAr

inside joke.
Old 04-15-2005, 11:24 PM
Racer

Actually, the times are mid-fives (5.3-5.6) 0-60 and high 13's in the quarter (stock). I know: I own one. I had a 2002 TL Type S with the bad tranny option, so I just went for the fun factor; believe me, it delivers! Yes, I miss the leather, smooth ride, and HID headlamps, but I still enjoy the drive in that little SRT4 wherever I go, and I don't care much if someone thinks it's ugly--hell, I like it, and that's all that counts. Many people look down their noses at "lesser" cars, but when they look back up, they can get a nice view of the Mopar Borla exhaust as I pass them.
Old 04-15-2005, 11:41 PM
Car Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have seen stock SRT4's go 13.9-14.5 based on driver ability. We should be neck and neck with a stock one. Heck a stock WRX will go 14.4 so we can run with them too. Just don't tangle with the new M3's they will fly away so fast you will be wondering if your car stalled out.
Old 04-16-2005, 01:16 AM
Suzuka Master

SRTs are powerful!!! Look out for those magnums, they are rare, but in 06 they will be packing SRT-8s, I know cause we looked at the 05's. We will prolly replace the minivan with the v8 hemi magnum, which is 0-60 in 6.1, auto. I heard estimated numbers below 5 for 0-60 for the magnum srt-8. Eitherway, the TL is a beutiful car, if you are into street racing there are many other cars that make much more sense. Lancer Evo, WRX, etc
Old 04-16-2005, 08:13 AM
Registered Member

Received 162 Likes on 102 Posts
Ok, I'm seeing more and more Cadillac CTS-V's around here! Last year when I bought my TL, the CTS-V and the new Ford Focus ZX4 ST were the front runners against the TL. When I first went on this website to get some info, some of the more narrow-minded members gave me some grief about the Forcus, but then again, what do they know of my wants and desires about cars.

The final two choices were the CTS-V and the TL and I went with the TL mostly because of the reviews and a few other more hair-splitting things. I still love the CTS-V, mostly because I love what Cadillac is doing in the performance market with their cars.. especially the CTS-V.

I work with a young guy who just bought an '05 SRT4 in the burnt orange color. I can't wait for him to take me out in it to see what it does. But I am not a fan of turbocharged engines.. would much rather have a supercharger if I was going to get a car with a blower. My preference is normally aspired engines.

Perhaps the best thing about the TL in its class (performance wise) for normal driving conditions is the throttle response.. at least this is the case with my TL. Small inputs to the throttle result in immediate reactions felt in the small of the back. It's quite sensitive and rewarding when this happens, which is to say most all the time. I don't get into mine very much because I enjoy this wonderful throttle response that my engine produce.. so I don't really feel the need that often to punch the thing (that's what "get into it" means).

Sorry for the lengthy prose. Car and Driver tested the SRT4 last year at 5.3 seconds for a 0-60 and a 13.9 at 103 MPH for the quarter mile. These are super times for a little stock pocket rocket and would toast a stock TL if they are truly representative of the car. Now, mod the TL some, like a supercharger or better yet a larger engine in a comparable state of tune, and the TL should be able to turn the same times as the SRT4 or maybe a little better.

I have been hoping to see Acura increase the engine displacement by 24 cubic inches (that's .4 liters for you liter-lovers). If they maintained a comparable state of tune as in the current 196 cubic inch engine, that should work out to around 305 HP and 280 lb/ft of torque. This would be next to ideal for a stock TL and at the outter limits of its ability to handle this increase in its current platform (larger, better tires would be mandatory).

SRT4's are bad and with the mods on the market for them and the STI's and EVO's, these little machines are the supercars of the 2000 decade.. much like the GTO's, Chevelles, 442's, and such were the supercars of the mid-60's.
Old 04-16-2005, 11:57 AM
Instructor

Here's a good reason not to get an SRT-4... Check out the side impact.

IIHS crash tests

What POS!!
Old 04-16-2005, 03:54 PM
Registered Member

Received 162 Likes on 102 Posts
Yeah, I can imagine. My TL was a good choice when all is considered. I'm not at all sorry I took the decision to buy it. Heck, now I have two.. just got one for the wife 3 weeks ago.. an automatic.
Old 04-16-2005, 04:08 PM
My M45 loves to eat rice

You guys suck at teh numbers.

Dodge Neon SRT-4 has about a 0-to-60 time of 5.5 seconds and a quarter-mile time of about 14.0, stock. Too bad most of them are already modified with Mopar Stage upgrades and whatnot.

Volvo S60R does NOT have a 0-to-60 time of like 6.1 seconds, like people suggested. They call the S60R the ''Poor Man's S4 or M3'', so obviously the performance would have to be significantly better than G35/TL/330 territory in order to be considered a performance sedan. The 0-to-60 on the S60R in a 6-speed is about 5.5 seconds. The automatic, I have no clue, but who actually has an S60R in an automatic? I'm only mentioning the 6-speed because people said the S60R has 295 lb/ft of torque, which is only in the 6-speed. The automatic has 258 lb/ft.
Old 04-17-2005, 09:42 PM
Car Addict

I never even test drove the SRT Neon because my wife thought they looked like a boy racer car. Since we are in our mid 30's, we test drove the TL, and some other car. The raciest car we test drove was an EVO. Sadly the EVO was too buzzy and had a cheap interior.

I doubt most of the SRT's we see on the street have the stage II and III stuff. I am most likely to seen an EVO with aftermarket parts on it. My friend's EVO has gone 12.2@114 so he's flying.

Anyhoo, the TL is a nice daily driver and has enuff horsies to wack 70% of the cars out there.
Old 04-17-2005, 10:32 PM
MBI
Intermediate

Looking up 0-60 times on the internet and duplucating them on your own is a whole different story. These times are either estimations or times done by professional drivers. Most of us, sorry to say, dont know how to properly drive their cars (dont take it personally people, its just the way it is). Just because the srt4 is roughly a one second faster car, it does not mean that we do not have a chance of winning. 0-60 depends on the driver itself, not the car.
Old 04-18-2005, 07:34 PM
DKA
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by RhythmAddict

Roger that. Don't have to out run POS's like a NEON ( ) in the TL.

Hmmm, know what? Don't have to try and out run a whole lot on my bike. Maybe Mugen NSX's (or similar), Lingenfelter Vette's, and slick cars with Bulls, Prancing Horses, and Lippizaner's on the hood...

Dave
'05 NBP/Ebony 6MT
'98 CBR 900RR
Old 04-19-2005, 12:56 PM
Instructor

I'm with you on that one!! I like the performance in the TL-S which is why I didn't buy a lesser car (and why I'm not happy with the ECU change when they replaced the tranny), but when I'm Jonesin' for real acceleration I get on the bike...too many idiots in cars that they can't handle and who might take me out too in stop-light drag races....
Old 04-20-2005, 07:24 PM
Instructor

My girlfriend said she'd break up with me if I had a WRX =)
Old 04-20-2005, 08:15 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 85 Likes on 37 Posts
I also have a 2004 SRT4 besides my 2005 TL, and if the SRT wanted to, it would have smoked you in no time. The SRT4 is faster then the Viper from 0-60 ! But I love my TL, Ill take luxury any day over speed.

Old 04-21-2005, 09:48 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by plastikman
The SRT4 is faster then the Viper from 0-60 !
I know you are joking right?
Old 04-21-2005, 10:11 AM
Banned

Let me give you my input.

Dodge Neon SRT4 is a fast little car, they can and will out run a stock Acura TL. However, it's a freaking Dodge Neon, I see quite a few of them on the road and I am not a bit impressed by it. You know some sports cars you see on the road that just make you go "wow!!" or "nice!!" (cars like Chevy Corvette, Mits Evo, Sub STi) but a SRT4, is just a better version of the POS dodge Neon.

IMO, if one SRT4 wants to race me, I'd just chill back and let him have the fun. What's the point? It's a POS.
Old 04-21-2005, 10:50 AM
Suzuka Master

I doubt it can outrun a viper. That thing has an SRT-10 and only weighs 500 pounds more. Plus in torque you are dealing with 250 vs. 525 and in HP 230 vs. 500. The viper would kick that thing to hell. And for the record, the viper 0-60 is under 4 and the srt-4 is a nice 5.6. Maybe next time.
Old 04-21-2005, 11:45 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by plastikman
The SRT4 is faster then the Viper from 0-60 !

Quick Reply: Fun with a SRT4 and volvo