Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Front Bumper Predicament

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2015, 04:09 PM
Instructor

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Front Bumper Predicament

Alright, I'm in a bit of a situation here. I'm fortunate enough to have found a reputable body shop in my location that will fix and paint my entire front bumper (and fix a license plate drill hole) for a very reasonable price. Type S has low miles but of course over the years the original owner has gotten a few rock chips along the front bumper and a few tiny ones along the side front. The rest of the car is near perfect with no other dents. So at least for me getting the front bumper fixed to like new is worth it.

My thing comes here, is it still worth it to get a clear bra for the front bumper as well? Doing this work for the entire bumper, mirrors, and part of the front hood will cost me dang near $550 but with a lifetime guarantee.

The other thing is, I want to get the A-Spec front and rear lips for the bumpers. Doing this will cost me $515 shipped thanks to the discount from the folks at Delray Acura. I cannot find the side skirts anywhere, from all the dealers I've talked to the ones in CBP have been discontinued and are no longer in stock anywhere. I'm not sure if not having the side skirts will make the car look funny.

I'm in for the front bumper being repaired for sure, even if I have to fork out the dough for the bumper plugs. It will be nice not to have that extra drill hole in the front bumper as well.

So opinions please, should I stick with just repairing the front bumper, and leaving it stock? Should I fork out the dough and get the front clear bra done as well? Or should I spend the money instead for the A-Spec lip kit? I don't think I can spend all that cash on doing both because it will cost an arm and a leg, for a car that is 8 years old.

Plus, for resale value down the line, most folks and dealerships won't pay the extra for the A-Spec lip kit if it's already there. I was thinking if I got it, I would just take it off if I ever do resell the Type S, and sell the A-Spec lip kit separately. But, if I do take off that lip kit I would have to repair both front and rear bumpers since it will leave drill holes all in them.

Not 100% sure of what course to take. But the front bumper will definitely be repaired to get rid of the front license plate holder. That's where I am now. Open to any comments that are helpful. Thanks!

Last edited by rexflexall; 05-12-2015 at 04:11 PM.
Old 05-12-2015, 04:13 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 8,709 Likes on 6,716 Posts
fix bumper, get a spec, don't get clear bra.
Old 05-12-2015, 04:38 PM
KCCO

Received 192 Likes on 173 Posts
If you have a Type S already, just get the front and rear lips. There is a small difference between the Type S side skirts and the A Spec skirts, but it's not as pronounced a difference as the base to the A Spec would be.

I believe there are a few members on here who have only gotten the front and rear lips and when they showed us pictures it still looked good with the Type S side skirts
Old 05-12-2015, 04:43 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by rexflexall

The other thing is, I want to get the A-Spec front and rear lips for the bumpers. Doing this will cost me $750 shipped thanks to the discount from the folks at Delray Acura. I cannot find the side skirts anywhere, from all the dealers I've talked to the ones in CBP have been discontinued and are no longer in stock anywhere. I'm not sure if not having the side skirts will make the car look funny.
Should say $515 for the A-Spec front and rear lip kit shipped but for some reason my original post didn't edit.
Old 05-12-2015, 05:24 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 158 Likes on 151 Posts
Do what MarcoNorth said
Maybe even get the mud guards for the side skirts. It helps flow with the rest of the lower lips...
Screw clear bra. Car is 8 years old.... Like you said. These cars are expected to have imperfections.
Old 05-12-2015, 05:44 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by 96SC4
Do what MarcoNorth said
Maybe even get the mud guards for the side skirts. It helps flow with the rest of the lower lips...
Screw clear bra. Car is 8 years old.... Like you said. These cars are expected to have imperfections.
OEM painted mud guards already on car! That's one down.
Old 05-12-2015, 06:37 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,182 Likes on 1,210 Posts
What bothers you more? Not having a pristine front bumper or not having the front and rear lips? I would personally get the lips over the clear bra but that's ME.

Last edited by ggesq; 05-12-2015 at 06:44 PM.
Old 05-13-2015, 01:23 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 8,709 Likes on 6,716 Posts
Originally Posted by rexflexall
OEM painted mud guards already on car! That's one down.
Mudguards won't work with ASpec side skirts so there you go! Makes your decision easier
Old 05-13-2015, 05:56 PM
Team Owner

Received 4,416 Likes on 3,322 Posts
If you love your car and you plan to keep it for longer than a year, I say get it. It's the best money I've ever spent on preserving my cars.

I hate rock chips with a passion. I hate damaged paint. I hate scratches. The film helps save you from a lot of that.

I also highly recommend you put film on your fog lights. They won't crack as easy, and even if they do, they'll continue working because the film keeps them sealed. I had glass OEM fog lights on a previous car and I put film on them. One cracked from a huge rock but still worked fine 1.5 years after it happened.