Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Front Bumper Popped Out ! ! !

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2005, 04:54 PM
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Front Bumper Popped Out ! ! !

My wife hit some ice and slid our 2004 SSM 5 AT into a huge mound of snow left by the city plow! She wasn't going fast but it still popped the front passenger side bumper out from under the light. It didn't look bad at all until I noticed that the mounting holes and brackets had been torn. Looks like I will need to get a new bumper. I searched the forum to see if this had happened to anybody else. It seems like a design flaw to me to have it pop off so easily. Oh well, I am sad and will probably pay at least $500 and and Geico the rest. This Sucks because we have babied this car. By the way, It has been a very capable car in the snow. I feel that I am a bit of an authority on this since I live in a ski town.

Any advice on what I can do to restore this car to its former glory would be appreciated.
Old 01-17-2005, 11:01 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
bumper covers

If you can repair the bumber cover (which I assume is all that is damaged) that might be better. The original paint is better since it seems to be able to withstand more abuse than a body shop paint job.

Bumper covers are usually about 500 bucks painted and installed.. Maybe a tad more since my experince is with the rear bumper cover on my 01 CL. They ran about 502. The first one cracked but the paint was fine. The replacements needed to be repainted on the slightest bump.

If the cover needs to be replaced, see if they can order the cover, paint it, and then you can stop by for the 60-90 minute swap over. That way your car is not in the shop over night and there is no car rental.

I doubt that acura will accept that any of it might be their fault due to a design issue.
Old 01-17-2005, 02:27 PM
Hello!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Wax On
My wife hit some ice and slid our 2004 SSM 5 AT into a huge mound of snow left by the city plow! She wasn't going fast but it still popped the front passenger side bumper out from under the light. It didn't look bad at all until I noticed that the mounting holes and brackets had been torn. Looks like I will need to get a new bumper. I searched the forum to see if this had happened to anybody else. It seems like a design flaw to me to have it pop off so easily. Oh well, I am sad and will probably pay at least $500 and and Geico the rest. This Sucks because we have babied this car. By the way, It has been a very capable car in the snow. I feel that I am a bit of an authority on this since I live in a ski town.

Any advice on what I can do to restore this car to its former glory would be appreciated.
I hope theives don't find this out and start stealing our HIDs again
Old 01-17-2005, 04:54 PM
Ex-Acura Service Manager

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Once the mounting holes are torn, the only way to permanently repair the bumper cover is to replace it.
Old 01-18-2005, 02:16 AM
mio
Police

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
no need to get a new one, they can fix it just looks like new...