3G TL (2004-2008)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Front Bumper Damage (Pics) - Which option should I take?

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2008, 05:58 PM
Q('.')=O

Received 721 Likes on 521 Posts
Front Bumper Damage (Pics) - Which option should I take?

I don't want to get into the long story about what happened but in short, I was behind some old lady turning out of a parking lot onto a service road, the old lady turned when there were no cars nearby and I followed and she hit her brakes for no apparent reason, unless she got scared of the car 1/4 mile away, so I bumped into her.

I'm pissed, but I'm not gonna flame about it and I know I hit her from behind so I take full responsibility.

Anyways, I called my insurance to file the claim and they gave me two options (and remind you I've never been in this predicament before).

1) I can take it to their recommended auto repair shop (Sterling Auto Repair) and they will fix it there and give me a loaner - kind of like a one stop shop.

2) I can take it to one of their claim centers to see the damage and how much it is to fix and they said they'll write me a check minus my deductible and I then can take it to my dealer to get it fixed. Either option I take they will reimburse me $35 a day for a rental car.

Here are the pics:

It looks mostly cosmetic to me but I do see a slight crack next to the front of the headlight, and the left side looks all fked up but the right side looks fine. Do you think they can fix it or will they need to replace the front bumper. And if they DO need to replace the bumper, I have the aspec lip (which thankfully came out unscathed). Will the repair shop or dealer detach and then reattach it? Cus in my opinion they should put it back the way it was looking before the accident.

Anyways I was just looking for your guys' input. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Old 08-26-2008, 06:45 PM
Drifting

Received 43 Likes on 39 Posts
If I was you, I would take option 2. Get the money, then buy a bumper and have it painted, and install yourself. you will save some money too.

Or you could take it to a body shop to see how much to fix (tell them that you will be paying). then you have a guideline on what it will cost, then take it to the claims center see if they are gonna give u more....
Old 08-26-2008, 07:01 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You probably should have just ate the cost to fix the bumper yourself instead of going through your insurance..
Old 08-26-2008, 10:23 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,006 Likes on 1,426 Posts
Originally Posted by Fulani has a TL
If I was you, I would take option 2. Get the money, then buy a bumper and have it painted, and install yourself. you will save some money too.

Or you could take it to a body shop to see how much to fix (tell them that you will be paying). then you have a guideline on what it will cost, then take it to the claims center see if they are gonna give u more....
If you go with option 2, you can get low-balled and end up loosing money. Go to a bodyshop that they recommend and is backed by your dealer too and get it done at the one stop shop
Old 08-26-2008, 10:47 PM
Q('.')=O

^ well I think my dealer has their own bodyshop on site. I know my insurance backs Sterling auto repair but I wouldn't be surprised if my dealer said "we dont back anybody or know of anyone" just so they can get more business for themselves. I was thinking about just taking the check tomorrow morning and going a few places to see who would be cheapest to fix. My friend also said I could just take off the front bumper, take it to some place and get it fixed/painted and then reinstall it myself and that way could pocket some money for myself

Old 08-26-2008, 10:57 PM
iScrape going into

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Do option 1 and call it a day.
Old 08-27-2008, 12:26 AM
2011 BMW 335i

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Sorry about what happened. Hopefully your insurance will not go up now....certain states have certain threshold amounts, so if damage is less than $500, $750, $1000 then your insurance does NOT go up. You might want to look into this for your state so your insurance company does not try to screw you over.
Old 08-27-2008, 02:51 AM
Being an Acha Bacha in

Received 127 Likes on 88 Posts
I wouldnt even get insurance involved for this. That looks like from the pics about $350 worth of damage and repair costs. I would take it to a reputable body shop that uses Hecker & Spies paint or PPG paint and has a special spray booth and get it done. Unless you have a $250 deductable I don't see you benefitting at all by going through your insurance company. Dont make the claim and bite the cost so that your insurance rates do not go up. My advice.

Dont go trhough the dealer as they are just middle men and they outsource and charge you double. IF anything call the dealer up and ask them casually that you need some body work done and if they could recommend a shop for you and 9 times out of 10 they are going to tell you the shop that they would've outsourced your car too if you had brought it to them, and now you can go directly to them.

Dont sweat it, shit like this happens. Let us know how it turns out.
Old 08-27-2008, 07:51 AM
Q('.')=O

fuk it im just gonna drop it off at their recommended repair shop and pick up a rental on the spot - much easier than getting an estimate and a check for how much it "could" be and going several places and stuff. i don't care about saving a few bucks and got enough to worry about right now so just want this done as easily and as least time consuming as possible. now i just have to wait a week to get it fixed cus the place is booked til then ahhh can't wait.
Old 08-27-2008, 08:13 AM
zaino'd

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Damn that sucks to hear! At least you're getting a loaner. I was without my TL for a week and it sucked.
Old 08-27-2008, 08:26 AM
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
From the photos the damage doesn’t look extensive and as other have already stated, mostly cosmetic. Depending on what your deductible is for collision, it may be worth it to go ahead and repair the damage yourself instead of getting your insurance company involved. The body shop will probably just glue/ plastic weld the bumper, sand and re-spray it. The cost of the repair will mostly be for labor and supplies. No worries on the Aspec lip, they will remove and reattach it as part of the repair. The trick will be if they can remove it without damaging it.

As far as the options your insurance company gave you I'd do #2. The estimate and check they give you will be on the low side but if you take it to a body shop of your choice, they will negotiate with the insurance company on your behalf and your insurance company will pay the difference. (This has always been my experience but ask your insurance adjuster to make sure.) The job of an insurance adjuster/claim representative is to fix the vehicle the cheapest way possible. The reason insurance companies want you to take it to their "recommended" body shop is because they have an agreement with the body shop to work within a lower labor rate and off of the adjusters estimate. In exchange, the insurance company sends them business and keeps the shop busy. Which usually means the work is lower quality. For 90% of the population this is acceptable especially if you aren't going to keep the car or it's leased.

Personally I'd find out what body shops are recommended in your area by calling the higher end car dealerships and asking what body shops they recommend. Asking AZ members in your area is a good idea too. Take it to a couple of those shops and get some estimates then decide if it's cheaper to fix it on you own or to go through insurance. If you decide to go through insurance, tell the adjuster where you’re taking it for repair and show them the estimate to save some of the haggling between them and the body shop. Seems like you have a nice ride so do it right the first time. Dealing with a substandard body shop is a huge nightmare and not worth the aggravation.
Old 08-27-2008, 09:25 AM
Q('.')=O

My deductible is $300. I'm just gonna go with their recommended center cus I've heard good things about them and they have a lifetime warranty on their work. I just want this done as easily as possible :/
Old 08-27-2008, 09:36 AM
Safety Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
dude thats nothing....money n spray that thing....the guys at the body shop can fix a lil dent like that no problem.
Old 08-27-2008, 11:14 AM
Q('.')=O

Originally Posted by Tripnbeats
dude thats nothing....money n spray that thing....the guys at the body shop can fix a lil dent like that no problem.
sorry lol but what do you mean 'money n spray the thing'? Do you mean it is easy and the guys at the body shop should have no problem fixing it?
Old 08-27-2008, 12:13 PM
Safety Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
correct, get the money... spray it....have a nice day.... theres no need for a bumper. i wouldnt go through insurance the paint job shouldnt be more than 300 for really good work. the deductible is prob more than that
Old 08-27-2008, 12:39 PM
Q('.')=O

Actually my deductible is $300. Btw I already called my insurance agent and since im part of some premium plan, my insurance will NOT go up. Phew!

Tripn: from what I'm getting from what you're saying is i should just get it fixed myself without the insurance? Well, I've already notified my insurance and also my deductible is $300 so if the amount to fix it is above $300 then it's to my advantage. Regardless, I've already notified my insurance and it will prolly cost $300 or more so I think I'm in the clear. Yes, I could spend time to search out there for a cheaper place that could possibly do it for $200 or so but that would be time consuming and the quality may not be great. At least I know this place is good and has lifetime guarantee.

lsdjfl490roiwafsdjfksl;
Old 08-27-2008, 12:54 PM
Instructor

I had a truck tire nail the nose of my car requiring a new bumper. The bumper was $280 but that is for a type-s. Altogether the repair bill was $1150 because they had to blend paint on the hood and fenders.
Old 08-27-2008, 12:59 PM
One on the right for me

Received 271 Likes on 173 Posts
Leave it.
Old 08-27-2008, 01:03 PM
Q('.')=O

Originally Posted by subinf
Leave it.
lol. and by that you mean?

just leave it be and dont fix it
Old 08-27-2008, 01:29 PM
Being an Acha Bacha in

The advice that me and trip posted will be the best path for you. If you are positive that your insurance wont go up, then you can chose to go that route.
Old 08-27-2008, 01:43 PM
Q('.')=O

Ya I am positive my insurance won't go up. So, looks like I will just take it to the body repair shop and that is that.

Thanks for the everyone's input. Dunno what I'd do without az !
Old 09-01-2008, 10:34 PM
Q('.')=O

Quick question -

I am taking it into the body shop on Wed to get it fixed. Do you think they would have the tools to find a leak and plug a tire? For a few weeks now I've noticed my front right tire has a leak somewhere on it (only has about 10k miles on it) and was going to go to discount tire to pay to have them find the leak and get it plugged. Since I'm getting my bumper done, do you think I could get off by saying that I also noticed my tire has been losing air ever since the incident? hmmm
Old 09-01-2008, 10:37 PM
Instructor

Body shops don't usually do tires. Bring it to a dedicated tire and wheel place and have them do it, it'll likely be cheaper and there's less chance of them screwing up your wheels.
Old 09-01-2008, 10:54 PM
Q('.')=O

^ rgr. thanks.
Old 09-02-2008, 06:26 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 832 Likes on 679 Posts
To do the plug/patch job correctly, the tire needs to be broken from the wheel and patched from the inside, so let a tire shop handle the leak.

As far as the front bumper, if it's done properly it's sure going to cost a lot more than $300, so I'm in agreement, drop it and let them do the job and you have the warranty.
Old 09-04-2008, 02:37 PM
Q('.')=O

Well I took the car in to the repair shop yesterday and they went ahead and ordered a whole new bumper! and I only have to pay my $300 deductible! So looks like it was a good choice for me. (Plus I had a bunch of little rock chips in the bumper)

Oh and I reminded her that I had the lip attached to the bottom of the bumper so then she asked me if it was an aftermarket part and I said no it is an original factory part (which it is cus it is) so she said ok she will make the people aware of that so the car looks the same as when I brought it in. (And it BETTER, the aspec lip better be on there!)

-Am I right here about this factory vs aftermarket thing and that it SHOULD be taken off then put back on the new bumper so it looks just the same as when I brought it in?
Old 09-04-2008, 02:45 PM
Instructor

a-spec kit is OEM if im not mistaken, even if you bought it after the purchase of the car.
Old 09-04-2008, 03:14 PM
Q('.')=O

^ ya it is OEM ....unless someone else here can prove me wrong.

So it looks like the need to remove the lip from the old bumper and reattach it to the new one. And they better do it cus I dont want to spend another hour doing it!
Old 09-04-2008, 04:07 PM
Being an Acha Bacha in

ASPEC is OEM you have nothing to worry about. I can't believe they ordered a whole new bumper cover, if you ask me they should've worked it so you didnt have to pay the deductable. Make sure the cover they order is OEM and not aftermarket. Be specefic and say you ONLY WANT OEM PARTS ON YOUR CAR, you have the right to request that. If you dont they will put Aftermarket parts. But either way, as long as the car looks back to new and you're back on the road thas all that matters.
Old 09-04-2008, 05:28 PM
Q('.')=O

Originally Posted by Elegant TYPE S
ASPEC is OEM you have nothing to worry about. I can't believe they ordered a whole new bumper cover, if you ask me they should've worked it so you didnt have to pay the deductable. Make sure the cover they order is OEM and not aftermarket. Be specefic and say you ONLY WANT OEM PARTS ON YOUR CAR, you have the right to request that. If you dont they will put Aftermarket parts. But either way, as long as the car looks back to new and you're back on the road thas all that matters.
Uhh ya on the paper they let me choose which "crash parts" (or something like that) i wanted, either aftermarket or OEM. They said aftermarket takes quicker to get in and so i chose that. But by crash parts I was thinking not the cover itself but maybe some foam pad behind it or whatever it is called IF it was needed. I thought the bumper would be OEM regardless So do you think they maybe ordered an aftermarket cover? Regardless, they have a lifetime warranty on it and even if they did order aftermarket as long as it looks and performs OEM quality I'll be happy.
Old 09-09-2008, 09:17 AM
Q('.')=O

Update:

Got the car back this morning. Looks great. Front bumper looks perfect (assemble and paint match) and they did reinstall the aspec lip. Only thing that I a little eeked about but I was kinda expecting to happen is since they removed the lip from the old bumper and replaced on the new bumper they didn't use new 3M double sided sticky tape so the old tape was kinda worn/not as sticky. So you could barely tell that some areas of the lip weren't on as tight as they could be. When I got home I got some of my own tape and put it in the spaces that needed them and it helped some and is to my satisfaction. You can tell only from really close up maybe the lip is like .1 inches off but from regular distance you can't tell so no worries. I'm just happy to have my car back - that chevy malibu rental was horrible!

PS I would post pics but my uncle took my digital camera with him to Europe for a month. I could use my cell phone but the quality = horrid.

Any feedback welcome
Old 09-09-2008, 12:00 PM
Instructor

so u all ready had it repaired...cool. my 2cent, i would of looked into possibility of having insurance co. offset me for the repair cost minus deductible and invested in RonJon front valence. At least start getting the kit in pieces eventually buying rest of the kit as my funding becomes replenished.
Old 09-09-2008, 12:50 PM
Q('.')=O

^ na. not a fan of the rj kit