Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Freakin' FOBs

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2004, 02:41 PM
Interesting. Interesting.

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
Freakin' FOBs

I waited 3.5 months for my TL/6MT/Navi and it took all of 3 days to scratch the hell out of my FOB.

Faced with the prospect of the identification numbers getting scratched completely off and having to resort to a SHARPIE to label the FOBs, I decided to get the FOB "condoms" from www.handa-accessories.com. I got a grey one (to match my Anthracite car) and a blue one (to distinguish between FOB #1 and #2).

You know, they actually don't look that bad at all. They fit well and they give you a nice sense of security. With the color coding, it's much easier to pick up my FOB (as opposed to my wife's). I wish Acura didn't use such junky FOBs.
Old 06-17-2004, 02:45 PM
Team Camel Executive VP

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I agree completely. Not only are the FOB's unacceptable, but the GPR's and TVD/TVW's are too.

BJ
Old 06-17-2004, 03:10 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 131 Likes on 79 Posts
infiniti's are worse! they are butt ugly
Old 06-17-2004, 03:12 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 131 Likes on 79 Posts

yuck
Old 06-17-2004, 03:32 PM
Cruisin'

Fobs

I agree that the fobs are sub-rate. My TL has 1,600 miles on it and my fob looks 2 years old.
Old 06-17-2004, 05:11 PM
You touch my tra la la...

Someone get their FOB chromed or powdercoated and let us know how it is.
Old 06-17-2004, 05:53 PM
Racer

why couldnt they mak it into the key like vovlo, mb, bmw, etcetera... one less thing on the keychain, and if its like the volvo and bm, if you are in a panic you that switch blade design can look pretty scary at night (although its only like 2 inches...) hehe... Yea i gave mine to the valley, and there is this huge scratch on it... i dont really care since i hard look at the key anymore (either in my pocket or in the ignition...

Does acura sell keys like that? or is their a third party key manuffacture that has the imobilizer chip installed waiting to be programmed?
Old 06-17-2004, 06:32 PM
I6

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The G35 and Altima has the same FOB.
Old 06-17-2004, 06:57 PM
Team Nighthawk President

I was just looking at mine today saying that it looks like it is 4 years old instead of 4 months old...its all scratched up and the worst part is I never drop it. The key scratched it a couple of times when it was brand new.
Old 06-17-2004, 07:03 PM
Cruisin'

Fob

What makes it worse is that the 04 Accord has an intergrated key & fob. Made of that nice scratch resistant black textured plastic.
Old 06-17-2004, 07:10 PM

Seriously... someone take the plastic part of the FOB off and paint it or something. Maybe you can get it powdercoated like I said.
Old 06-17-2004, 07:14 PM

I just took my spare FOB apart. Very easy to do. I don't think I have any paint though.
Old 06-18-2004, 01:43 PM
Three Wheelin'

Now see, this thread points out exactly why people who read this forum come away with the impression that the TL is a bad car - because we have owners who bitch about the durability of the keyfob. Not the design, which I agree is less than ideal, but the durability - that it gets scratched up and looks crappy after a while. Who really gives a fuck? It's a keyfob, not a frickin diamond pendant. Why not Zaino the fob in addition to putting a "condom" on it? Really, this kind of complaining is just too much sometimes. Fortunately it is also amusing and entertaining.
Old 06-18-2004, 01:45 PM
Team Camel Executive VP

Originally Posted by TLGator
Now see, this thread points out exactly why people who read this forum come away with the impression that the TL is a bad car - because we have owners who bitch about the durability of the keyfob. Not the design, which I agree is less than ideal, but the durability - that it gets scratched up and looks crappy after a while. Who really gives a fuck? It's a keyfob, not a frickin diamond pendant. Why not Zaino the fob in addition to putting a "condom" on it? Really, this kind of complaining is just too much sometimes. Fortunately it is also amusing and entertaining.
My gas pedal has a scuff where my foot contacts it. A scuff! How could this happen?

BJ
Old 06-18-2004, 01:50 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My fobs are clean and barely even scratched at all. And being one of the longest owners of the TL here, I can claim duration as well. There are 5 keys on my keychain. The three house/office keys are on a pop-off extension so I don't have to remove the key from the ignition to run back into the house. And on the other end is the Fob, the Acura Key, and the Acura keychain.

I keep my keeps in my pocket when at work. At home I hang them on the key rack by the door. 2 sets of acura keys on one hook, 2 sets of Accord keys on the next, 2 sets of Oldsmobile, then 2 Dodge truck, then other stuff.

Then they go from the hook to my pocket to the car, then into my pocket all day. I don't sling them down on desks, I don't keep change in that same pocket either, just the keys.

Dunno.. maybe the fob is the ONE thing done right on my car.
Old 06-18-2004, 01:53 PM
Team Anthracite Member

Ribbed?
Old 06-18-2004, 02:12 PM
Pug
Team Camel, VP for Zaino

My fob droops, flatspots, has 2 rattles, and I can't fit a KN filter in it
Old 06-18-2004, 02:39 PM

OMFG my floormats have dirt in them. How? Will the dealer fix it for free?
Old 06-18-2004, 08:37 PM
USC YQUE

Originally Posted by boltjames
My gas pedal has a scuff where my foot contacts it. A scuff! How could this happen?

BJ
Crikey!!!This TL sounds like way too much upkeep.

Forget it! I am not getting a TL. A kia or Hyundai should do me well.............

Kidding! Boltjames and TLgator: the above are very funny posts!!!!
Old 06-19-2004, 12:26 AM
Pro

Originally Posted by wstevens
I waited 3.5 months for my TL/6MT/Navi and it took all of 3 days to scratch the hell out of my FOB.
Ha! I thought for a second you were talking about the FOB's (Fresh Off the Boats) scratching your car! Though it was funny for a sec.

Anyway, carry on.
Old 06-19-2004, 07:13 PM
VTEC HoooA

With all due respect Gator I think you are missing the point! The TL shouldn't have a keyfob! Why would the Accord get an integrated key with all functions built in, while the higher line of car buyers are given 5 year old fob technology!? It is called product CONSISTENCY!! If I recall the original 2004 Acura borchure actually boasted that it did not have a key fob and that the functions were built into the key.....looks like they missed the deadline to get that done (I think it also mentioned turn signal integration in the side view mirrors as well).

Granted in the grand scheme of things it is a small issue, but it talks to a much larger point.

Would a Toyota offer something more than a Lexus? Would a Nissan offer more than an Infiniti? In both cases a resounding NO!

Would Honda offer lower end Accord buyers an integrated key, and leave the "luxury" buyers of the Acura line to lust after it....YOU BET!!

WAKE UP HONDA :sqntfawk:
Old 06-20-2004, 07:17 AM
Racer

I've already lost my fob so I don't know if it is scratched up or not.
Old 06-20-2004, 07:51 AM
Bears Rule!(Well, kinda')

I think lust is a pretty strong term....I lust after 18 year old nymphomaniacs who can cook. Not FOBs...
Old 06-20-2004, 12:00 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 66 Likes on 28 Posts
Don't hate!

Originally Posted by Neogeek
why couldnt they mak it into the key like vovlo, mb, bmw, etcetera... one less thing on the keychain, and if its like the volvo and bm, if you are in a panic you that switch blade design can look pretty scary at night (although its only like 2 inches...) hehe... Yea i gave mine to the valley, and there is this huge scratch on it... i dont really care since i hard look at the key anymore (either in my pocket or in the ignition...

Does acura sell keys like that? or is their a third party key manuffacture that has the imobilizer chip installed waiting to be programmed?
Yeah! What he said!

And it's too big and bulky. It doesn't fit in my pocket without looking like I'm smuggling grape-shot.

Don't start with me again about my pants being too tight. I'm in good shape. I wear 33s.

Give us that switch-blade thingee like Volvos have. They're way cool.

Neogeek: NEVER give your key fob to the vallet. That's what the vallet key is for.

Regards
XP (Who is in mourning for the loss of our signatures) :ripped:
Old 06-20-2004, 01:53 PM
Team Nighthawk President

Originally Posted by Nodoze2004
With all due respect Gator I think you are missing the point! The TL shouldn't have a keyfob! Why would the Accord get an integrated key with all functions built in, while the higher line of car buyers are given 5 year old fob technology!? It is called product CONSISTENCY!! If I recall the original 2004 Acura borchure actually boasted that it did not have a key fob and that the functions were built into the key.....looks like they missed the deadline to get that done (I think it also mentioned turn signal integration in the side view mirrors as well).

Granted in the grand scheme of things it is a small issue, but it talks to a much larger point.

Would a Toyota offer something more than a Lexus? Would a Nissan offer more than an Infiniti? In both cases a resounding NO!

Would Honda offer lower end Accord buyers an integrated key, and leave the "luxury" buyers of the Acura line to lust after it....YOU BET!!

WAKE UP HONDA :sqntfawk:

Thanks...a voice of reason...
Old 06-20-2004, 03:35 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by Xpditor
Neogeek: NEVER give your key fob to the vallet. That's what the vallet key is for.
well for me the trunk switch in the glove compartment seems to not let the trunk button on the fob to work, and the vallet key is on my keychain linked to the fob, so whenever i leave it, i just detach, and yay! they cant get into the trunk or glove. The reason behind this is because i put a cap over the keyhole to make it look like the other doors, and the vallet needs something to get in.