Sponsored by:

Fog Lights and driver side corner light on dim

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2022, 08:29 PM
8th Gear

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Fog Lights and driver side corner light on dim

Sup guys,

I'm new to all this. I have an issue and hoping that someone out there was able to resolve the same. I have a base model 2004 Acura TL, Automatic just under 170k, non-navi.

A couple years back my driver side headlight ballast failed and my 04 TL started to overheat. I replaced the radiator cap after I found that it had failed. The ballasts I replaced along with new D2S bulbs. Up until the other week, I found that my driver side headlight was flickering. I gotten the headlight back on, and the fog light turned off then the passenger side went hi beam. I'm thinking the car is F**KING POSSESSED. I took everything apart and found that the plug powering the ballast was cooked. I replaced it, a few days later, it was cooked again. I'm assuming the ballast my be defected. I haven't gotten around to doing any of it but then again the car is sitting at home.

Just last night, I took the TL to get some take out food. I unplugged the ballast for the driver side and my fog light for that side turned off as well. No lights on the driver side, not even a corner light. While driving, I noticed my turn signals were not working either. Sitting in the line, looking at the engine temp, it quickly shot up to H from the middle. I shut the car off by turning the key in Drive, and POOF! White smoke everywhere. Luckily I was on a slope and just rolled the car out of the drive thru. While I was under my hood, I found that the upper part of the radiator had cracked. My fog lights and driver side corner light had turned on with the car and headlights completely off, however the lights were dim. At the same time, the fan was running like the car's battery was dying. With the fan going like that, it managed to cool the engine down a really good amount. The car still started after it cooled down a bit as well.

Someone out there that had experienced the same issue(s), please advise me on what to check.

*****HATERS, KEEP YOUR SILLY COMMENTS OR JOKES TO YOURSELF. I GOT SMALL CHILDREN AND HAVE VERY LITTLE TIME TO WORK ON MY CAR. ALL THAT CHECK YOUR BLINKER FLUID, WOBBULATOR, FLUX CAPACITOR BULLSH*T CAN STAY IN YOUR MINDS OUT THERE*****

Old 03-22-2022, 06:24 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,015 Likes on 1,434 Posts
A leaking radiator will send steam everywhere causing issues with water intrusion on lots of that stuff.

Fog light and HID are independent, only thing they really share is the light module next to the fuse box.

Have you got the radiator and the cooling system fixed up?

Have you tried probing the wires to see what voltage you are getting?

Have you replaced the ignitor with ballast or just ballast? Bulb?
The following 2 users liked this post by csmeance:
Pair of TLs (03-22-2022), Smooth_22z (03-23-2022)
Old 03-23-2022, 07:05 PM
8th Gear

@csmeance
Thanks for the reply.

Yes, steam and water intrusion. It had gotten inside the driver side headlight. I tried looking for diagrams of the light module next to the fuse box and doing a quick google search of it, all it showed me was the ballast. What exactly does that light module look like? If you have a picture of it, please share.

I'm still wanting for the parts to come in. The car still sitting in the parking lot at my apartment. The first time the car started to overheated. I was able to get it towed back to the house. A buddy of mine with the test probe kit came by and tested wires for the fan and other things under the hood said everything was fine.

I did replace the HIDs bulbs before for a different tone of Blue. About a year ago, I replaced the ballast and igniter on both sides of the car.
Old 03-24-2022, 11:09 AM
Senior Moderator

here are some diagrams/info:

Old 03-31-2022, 12:43 PM
8th Gear

@csmeance FIXED

***FIXED***

I followed the diagram and was able to find the relays. I have yet to replace those. I replaced the plugs on the car side to the ballast. After some research regarding ground wires melting, I thought of retracing the wires.

I found the location Acura used for grounding block. Behind the air box lower portion in front of the driver side wheel well, behind the front bumper. one of the 10 mils holding almost a dozen grounding wires, was loose. With it loose, it made my driver side headlight flicker and strobe. Thought I had cop car lights lol.

After I tightened it up, the fan worked normally. Lights have yet to act the same way.

THANKS FOR YOUR HELP AGAIN ✊🏼
The following 2 users liked this post by Smooth_22z:
csmeance (03-31-2022), Pair of TLs (03-31-2022)
Old 03-31-2022, 05:36 PM
Senior Moderator

Glad to hear! Hope the TL gives you and the family many more miles of safe travel. Thank you for posting your resolution! Hopefully it'll help someone else in the future!