Sponsored by:

Flaking Paint on bumper

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2004, 06:58 PM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Flaking Paint on bumper

Hello All, new to the board here.

Well I am really p%$%* off, as I was washing my car today, a big chunk paint on the bumber started peeling off. The flake is about 1-inch in diameter. I immediately called my dealer to schedule a warranty repair. What made me really mad is that he sounded totally arrogant and said it was probably from a rock or something. There is absolutely no way a rock should cause flaking, a chip maybe, but flaking, NO.

I am worried that the dealer will not cover this under warranty due to the tone of the service rep. Has anybody else had similar problems with the paint peeling on their bumper?
Old 08-14-2004, 07:00 PM
Semper Fi

Dont worry the dealer will say its normal, because out of 6 problems on my Tl 5 of them are normal.
1. Rattles inside the vehicle cabin
2. vibrations when braking
3. vibrations at or around 60Mph
4. Aspec front bumper gaping which increases every week.
5. Balding on both front inner tires
6. When put in reverse a beeping sound occurs continously, I do have reverse senors. (Only problem which is supposedly not normal.)

Oh also WDP paint which turns two-toned after 2 weeks of ownership, I guess they forgot to label that on the window sticker .

I am in Overland Park to, you must be going to those @#$$%%$# at Jay Wolfe Acura. I am taking my vehicle to a different dealership for the problems they sound alot more promising and willing to help and dont start comming up with excuses on the phone before even seeing the vehicle. -- take it to Superior Acura.
Old 08-14-2004, 08:58 PM
Intermediate

From the two phone calls I have made to Jay Wolfe, I have been very discouraged with their treatment and seeminlgy total lack of concern for their customers.
Old 08-14-2004, 09:09 PM
Semper Fi

Originally Posted by TLsker
From the two phone calls I have made to Jay Wolfe, I have been very discouraged with their treatment and seeminlgy total lack of concern for their customers.
100% true they are idiots they dont care if you contact corporate complain to the president, vice president and executive. Nothing happend finally I took legal recourse. They wouldnt furinsh me my stock wheels when I upgraded to aspec they said it was against company policy even though I received no credit towards the new wheels and was also charged over MSRP on A-spec. Corporate Acura didnt care and neither did Jay Wolfe. As soon as I took legal recourse and my wheels were ready in no time, go to Superior Acura they are alot better or at least lesser of the two evils. Trust me this is my last Acura. Love the car hate the quality and service.

Do you live near the LionsGate area in Overland Park park if so do you drive a dark TL, I see a dark TL drive around this area all the time.
Old 08-15-2004, 12:10 PM
Intermediate

nope, got the WDP (which also has mismatched color on the bumpers.) ali, I noticed you have your windows tinted in your pictures. where in the kc area did you have it done and did you get the "moleskins"?
Old 08-15-2004, 02:05 PM
Semper Fi

nope, got the WDP (which also has mismatched color on the bumpers.) ali, I noticed you have your windows tinted in your pictures. where in the kc area did you have it done and did you get the "moleskins"?

Take it to Motiv Options they just opened up, but Darryl Ingram the owner has been tinting for KC Trends, and almost every major tuner shop in Kansas City area. All my vehicles have been done by them. I plan to take my two new Lexus's in the next month or so to have him tinted as well. I dont have moleskin, just didnt want to deal with the hassle of ordering it, I just didnt see the point I have never scrached any of my tint jobs.

If you have Navi, you can type in this address or just go to www.mapquest.com

Motive Options
16104 Foster
Overland Park, KS 66085
Phone # 913-485-8468
Old 08-15-2004, 02:10 PM
Cruisin'

Flaking Paint on bumper

Last week I took my TL in for service and some warranty repairs. The dealer was very accomidating in that they had a loaner waiting for me and I was in and out. The car needed the standard repairs :
1. Front bumper repaint
2. Seat memory module replaced
3. Oil change (down to 30% at 3,750 miles)
4. Tire rotation (they seem to be loosing traction to often)
They gave me a TSX as a loaner because they no longer give out TL's or MDX's. No problem but I sure missed my car for the week it was gone. I finally got my car this past wednesday and shit went down hill fast. I was in a rush when I got my car so i did not check the hole front bumper only the area the paint was flaking at. The next morning when I was driving in to work I thought of checking my MID to see the oil life meter and it was still 30%. I began to get real upset because now I don't know if they forgot to reset it or they just did not do it. Well that was just the beginnig, when I got to work I backed in my parking spot (like always). As I was walking away and activating my alarm I looked over my shoulder to see the lights flash ( because I can't here it) I then noticed that they had placed the front tag holder and tag on my car. I live in NJ and it is the law to have a front tag but I did not put it on because I don't like the way it looks. Well what made it so bad is that the tag was in my trunk in a bag that was closed. So somebody at the body shop took it upon themselves to go through my shit to find this tag. I called the dealer when they opened and just had a fit. They apologized for the tag and told me that I could come in and they would take the tag off and put the caps back in. They also told me that "they do not reset the oil life meter on the MID until the second service. I told them that I belieed thy did not do the job at all and we went round and round. I then hung the phone up and decided to use another dealership for service. A few minutes ago I decided to take the front tag off and replace the caps myself. Upon removeg the tag I noticed that they screwed THREE screws in to secure the tag holder. ARGGGHH!!!! Needless to say I will be in somebodies face on monday. Sorry so long but I had to vent. Thanks
Old 08-16-2004, 07:10 AM
Team Nighthawk President

Originally Posted by NickBorrero
Last week I took my TL in for service and some warranty repairs. The dealer was very accomidating in that they had a loaner waiting for me and I was in and out. The car needed the standard repairs :
1. Front bumper repaint
2. Seat memory module replaced
3. Oil change (down to 30% at 3,750 miles)
4. Tire rotation (they seem to be loosing traction to often)
They gave me a TSX as a loaner because they no longer give out TL's or MDX's. No problem but I sure missed my car for the week it was gone. I finally got my car this past wednesday and shit went down hill fast. I was in a rush when I got my car so i did not check the hole front bumper only the area the paint was flaking at. The next morning when I was driving in to work I thought of checking my MID to see the oil life meter and it was still 30%. I began to get real upset because now I don't know if they forgot to reset it or they just did not do it. Well that was just the beginnig, when I got to work I backed in my parking spot (like always). As I was walking away and activating my alarm I looked over my shoulder to see the lights flash ( because I can't here it) I then noticed that they had placed the front tag holder and tag on my car. I live in NJ and it is the law to have a front tag but I did not put it on because I don't like the way it looks. Well what made it so bad is that the tag was in my trunk in a bag that was closed. So somebody at the body shop took it upon themselves to go through my shit to find this tag. I called the dealer when they opened and just had a fit. They apologized for the tag and told me that I could come in and they would take the tag off and put the caps back in. They also told me that "they do not reset the oil life meter on the MID until the second service. I told them that I belieed thy did not do the job at all and we went round and round. I then hung the phone up and decided to use another dealership for service. A few minutes ago I decided to take the front tag off and replace the caps myself. Upon removeg the tag I noticed that they screwed THREE screws in to secure the tag holder. ARGGGHH!!!! Needless to say I will be in somebodies face on monday. Sorry so long but I had to vent. Thanks
Nick..was this Sussman in Maple Shade??
Old 08-16-2004, 02:33 PM
Cruisin'

Yes
Old 08-16-2004, 04:24 PM
Black

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts
Regarding the paint flake -- I've been told by my dealer that it's a well-known fact (Acura is aware of this).

My bumper is holding up after a tiny piece flaked, but as I've said before, I haven't faced snow/road salt and garage my car at home and work...
Old 08-16-2004, 09:01 PM
Intermediate

went to the dealer today to show them the peeling paint. the guy said it was due to a rock, but agreed that a chip should not cause 1-inch of the paint to peel off and set up an appointment to repaint the bumper. i am going to have the clear bra installed as soon as possible to prevent any future damage. for those that have the clear bra... does it work? can you see it?

oh yeah they also will be looking at...
...an electronic clicking noise every time i depress the brake.
...loose window trim on the rear doors.
...seats that are wearing entirely too fast.
...and the grinding noise i hear every time i start my car.
Old 08-16-2004, 10:38 PM
Banned

went to the dealer today to show them the peeling paint. the guy said it was due to a rock, but agreed that a chip should not cause 1-inch of the paint to peel off and set up an appointment to repaint the bumper. i am going to have the clear bra installed as soon as possible to prevent any future damage. for those that have the clear bra... does it work? can you see it?
Yes the clear bra works and you can barely see it.