First Timer - Sincere question

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2005, 11:05 AM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
First Timer - Sincere question

Hello all, I was referred to your site by a couple guys over at G35driver.com

A little about me...

Two kids under 6, and another on the way.

Cars owned:
'91 Pathfinder SE - Loaded
'94 Accord EX - still own - 160K miles, going strong
'98 BMW 520i - for a few months while in Germany
'01 Maxima SE - White on Black - drove two years than sold for
'02 Honda Odessey - Two kids

Now it's time to sell the Accord and get me a new ride. My decision's between the '05 TL, G35, & '02-'04 BMW 330i (all MT).

I love the refinement of the Acura (especially the interior!), but all the reviews I've read say that the oversteer present in the FWD is a fatal flaw, not to be overlooked.

I drove it and noticed it too, but so many of the other attributes were to sweet to ignore. My wife loves it the most too.

The G35 is fun to swing around corners, and it seems to have better road feel, but the engine (in the 6MT) doesn't have the same ease & refinement of the TL.

The BMW seems to be the best of all (averaging out all factors, not first in anyone area, except maybe road feel), but it will take me 25-28K to get the one I want, and it will have 25k-40k miles and it'll be 2-4 years old.

How have you all gotten around the torque steer (I don't want to make a ton of modifications), or are you all contempt w/ it? Also, have they improved the thickness of the passenger seats in the '05, as I've read this is a complaint for the '04. Finally, what about shirt effort for 1st and 2nd gear in the MT. Does it improve as you get use to it? I just couldn't find it.

I'm sorry for the long note, but I don't buy cars to often, and I want to keep this one for 10 years

Any feedback's welcome!!!
Old 03-25-2005, 11:14 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 4,614 Likes on 2,193 Posts
Welcome to the board.

The torque steer is overstated. It is not a big deal, particularly on the 5AT, which I own. On the 6MT model, which it sounds from your message is the one you're interested in, there is an LSD that can add a little kick in the turns, but most people here don't complain much about it, having adjusted to it. There were some complaints last year about how tricky it is to engage 1st gear, but people become accustomed to that as well.

The TL is more refined than the G35 in interior, engine sound, but doesn't yet have AWD like the G35. Not a big disadvantage in my book.

I think you'll be happy with the TL for your needs. 6MT owners will contribute, I'm sure, shortly.
Old 03-25-2005, 11:27 AM
Instructor

Thank you.

Yes, I hope 6MT drivers will add their two cents.
Old 03-25-2005, 11:36 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I would say if you want to keep an acura for 10 years, you would be better off to stay away from the TL. That is, unless you are prepared to care for peformance sedan. Then, I would say it is one of the better ones you can purchase. I had no problems with the torque steer in this car, but have owned several FWD cars that had much worse. I would avoid the BMW since they are $$$ to repair and insure.

Tires brakes clutches etc wear out faster in a performance sedan. I had a camry that got 60K on a set of tires and were about 85 bucks ea. to replace. Be prepared to change the tires twice as often and spend about twice that price per tire. So maybe 5 sets vs 3.

I would read this forum and see what issues people have had with the tl and make a decision. For the most part, the people here are very discriminating buyers/owners and pay a lot of attention to some finer details. They are forgiving about some of the minor issues about the car. There have been some major problems with the brand, but more or less with the last generation. I have owned 3 (99, 01, 05). I also own the 05 G sedan.

My experience has been like yours. I had a early 90s camry and it lasted 185,000 miles until I said well maybe it is time... I do not believe the TL will be a car that will go that distance as trouble free as the accord or camry did.

MPG - the TL with avg of 25 and the G35 has been 21-22.

Handling - G35

Service issues - the TL has been back twice in 5000 miles G has just turned 4K no issues

Insurance Costs - The TL is more to insure

Performance - Hard to tell since the 05 G35 has more power than the 04 G. I would take the G over the TL for daily driving. As for drag race it would be interesting to see how the 05 does since the 04 was about .5 secs slower. However it is tough to diplicate the TL 5.6 time to 60.

The rest is up to the person as for features, styling, etc. It is up to you and as you know you will live with this thing for 10 years so has to be something you do not mind spending that about of time and money on...
Old 03-25-2005, 11:44 AM
MR1
05/5AT/Navi/ABP/Quartz

Received 53 Likes on 50 Posts
Another happy 5AT driver here. All of the cars on your final list are good choices IMHO. I think they were on short list for a number of us including me. I'll share my thoughts.

1. You are looking at two rear drivers and one front drive and have owned each style in the past or currently. Generally you know the characteristics of each.

2. You have kept the Accord and got rid of the Maxima and the BMW!

3. Sounds like new G35 or TL vs used BMW

Without getting in to the facts it looks like the TL to me (surprise)

Torque steer is a non-issue under all but extreme conditions. There is a lot of HP going through the front low profile tires.

I have an 05 w/ 6k miles and seats still look good but I expect the leather to stretch some.

German cars lately (all) seem to have more issues as the miles pile on though the daily drive is excellent. I personally have always preferred Honda products to Nissan products. If you need the car for a daily driver I think I'd go new if possible. If the 6MT guys don't answer fast enough, search the forum and you will find real loyalist. Let us know what you end up with.
Old 03-25-2005, 11:56 AM
Instructor

Thanks for the feed back guys!

Mickey3, I do understand that the Sport sedans are more $ on the upkeep too. Especially the tires/insurance it seems.

When I test drove the TL, the Manual was the clear winner (to me). It pulled and pulled. In the G35, I like the automatic more. The MT in that car is not geared for the casual everyday driver. It's rough, and I think american muscle car fans would really like it. Engaging, but too much for this man (father of almost 3 boys). The TL's shifting is slick.

The BMW has an equal shifter, but hugs well too. The auto in this car is also sweet. Could go w/ either.

The reason why I may get the 330, is because I can get a low mile one (less than 20K) and everything I want for a fairly good price. I may add an extended warranty and go for it.

I guess I need to hear from more 6MT owners. I'm guessing the brakes (brembo's) are more expensive as well. I wonder how long they can go under average driving.

I'll definitely search other forums, but I'm hoping to get a few more 6mt hits on this one
Old 03-25-2005, 12:10 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I would agree there about the shifting... check this forum about the guy who fried his clutch at 18,900 miles while driving through the mountains in snow, stop and go for hours. Granted this is an extreme case, but it is good to hear about these things and how acura handled the situation. I have done a lot of product testing in my day and it is always interesting to know the product's limitations.

I would say the BMW is tempting as well... yet... I always hear of a maintenance issue that tells me to stay away. Insurance on those are a killer as well.

Given that you will not be trading the car (10 year ownership), I would not be too concerned about trade in value, but check out how the 02s and 03 hold their value. If you do 16k a year and wanted to get rid of the car for some reason, you would want to before the warranty is up so you can get the most in trade in.
Old 03-25-2005, 02:02 PM
Advanced

downtown,

I was in the same boat as you.
I recently purchased an 05 TL 5AT Navi.
My fiance and I were in the same dilema, TL vs G35 vs 328/330 vs IS300.
Every car had their pros and cons.

The BMW's had the warranty that included maintence fees but the long term cost and the interior played a factor in not choosing.

The IS300, well, we thought it wasn't worth it with the same options as a TL also, it was small inside.

The G35, I love the 2dr and so does my fiance but the 4dr was so so. I owned a 93 Q45, great car but once it started to need repairs, it was costly. I guess since then, Nissan/Infinti left a sour taste.

Now the TL. Best bang for the buck. I love the interior, hands down, no argument. Exterior, for a 4dr sedan, it looks sleek, aggressive yet classy. Power, enough for me and I have a 88 IROC and 94 Z28. Handling, can't complain, so far it's been very nice. These were the deciding the factors for us. Also, I had a 91 Legend coupe that I sold with 240K and never had a problem and a 93 Legend sedan that we still have and no problem. I guess my fiance and are a little biased towards Acura. :wink:

We test drove every vehicle and they were tough choices since we were spending over $30K plus we have our wedding coming up. We plan to keep the car for 10yrs plus. Although we live in Southern California, I drive quite often to NYC so the FWD does play a factor for us. Me personally I love RWD. All in all, for what we wanted, the TL came up as the winner.

Funny thing, we were looking at a Honda Odyssey also but said "NAH, not yet." hahaha

Keep us informed. The TL Board is very informative, I've learned alot.

Good Luck with your decsion.
Old 03-25-2005, 02:22 PM
Senior Moderator

I respectfully disagree with mickey's comment about staying away from the TL unless you want to deal with performance-type maintenance issues. I agree with his other comments. The performance car issues I've had are adding suspension mods. Regarding reliabiliity in general, there are guys on the 2G TL portion of the board who are at over 150k miles on their cars. Not without trouble, mind you (the 2G TL had tranny troubles), but the J-series engine is damned near indestructible and will survive that long. I will again (long-termers are already rolling their eyes, I'm sure ) relate to you the story of my early-build TL which has had minimal issues in 18 months. Click on "1-year report" in my signature to see what I'm talking about.
Old 03-25-2005, 02:26 PM
Racer

I'm not a TL owner (anymore...I had a 2000 TL), but when the time came to replace my GS430 L-Tuned I decided to give the '04 TL 6MT a chance since the techno goodies and styling, inside and out, are there. I have to say that one test drive threw it completely out of contention for me. I drive my cars pretty hard, especially those with manual trannies, and when I would drop the clutch off the line on the TL I would have to truly fight the steering wheel. I'm not sure what folks who say the torque steer (or LSD or whatever it is) is overstated or minimal have driven in the past, but I've owned many AWD and RWD cars, about half with standard transmissions, so I think I can speak from experience and say that that driving experience in the TL 6MT is NOT what I was looking for at all! My quote to my wife was "all the work of a manual with none of the fun."

I'm not trying to come down on the TL in general because I think it's absolutely one of the best looking, best equipped cars in its price range, but the driving dynamics of the 6MT were really a turn off for me. I'm hoping they add SH-AWD to it in the future (and a little power to offset the resulting weight gain) because I think that will complete it.

For what it's worth, my hunt ultimately led me to a very slightly used '04 Audi S4 6MT over the '05 G35 coupe 6MT.
Old 03-25-2005, 02:57 PM
Racer

Of course, if all you've driven in the past are AWD and RWD, the torque steer on the TL will feel bad. But if you compare it to the torque steer on other high HP FWD cars like the Maxima it's truly a non-issue. The TL is a pussycat compared to my 2002 Maxima.

Now this is comparing AT to AT. It's possible the MT is worse but I still doubt it's as bad as a Maxima with MT.
Old 03-25-2005, 03:02 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by midas69
Of course, if all you've driven in the past are AWD and RWD, the torque steer on the TL will feel bad. But if you compare it to the torque steer on other high HP FWD cars like the Maxima it's truly a non-issue. The TL is a pussycat compared to my 2002 Maxima.

Now this is comparing AT to AT. It's possible the MT is worse but I still doubt it's as bad as a Maxima with MT.
I've never had a high horsepower (>250HP) FWD car, though the 225HP 2000 TL auto certainly didn't evidence torque steer too badly. Also, my brother-in-law has an '04 TL auto that I've driven quite a bit and it's much more composed on launch than the 6MT was. If the 6MT's torque steer were on par with the AT's I might have gone the TL route, but dropping the clutch for a good launch in the TL turned into a serious wrestling match!
Old 03-25-2005, 03:05 PM
Car Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The torque steer is there, it's no biggie.

G35 sedans look dated.

Why spend that kind of money for a used 330. Have you sitten in the back of a 330 sedan? It's really cramped. I was going to get a 330i but 44k was a bit pricey for a cramped ride.

Really the new A4 was the only other contender, they are 3 inches longer behind the driver's seat... where it was sorely needed. In the end the Acura won because it has a fantastic interior and it's a blast to drive. It's 270hp in a 3400lb car vs the typical 225 in other cars.
Old 03-25-2005, 03:08 PM
Instructor

The a-spec package noticably toned down the torque steer issue for me.
Old 03-25-2005, 03:09 PM
Safety Car

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
If I had to do it over again, I'd go w/ the 6MT G35, especially now that the sedan has 280hp. I've driven both the 6MT TL and G35 .. and honestly, from the list of cars you've had and the things you want (speaking to Downtown) .. you'll like the G35 a lot.

I do think you should drive the new A4 3.0 .. w/ 250+ hp now, it's definitely got some long-needed grunt. I agree that BMW 330i's .. especially the years you are looking at are bit too cramped and too expensive for what you get, even used.

Drive both the TL, G35 ... aggressively if possible to anticipate how you may drive it when there are no kids in the car, and then weight it out. The audi, since I haven't driven it, I cannot comment. Best of luck, welcome to the board.
Old 03-25-2005, 04:10 PM
Safety Car

6MT owner here and i am very satisfied with it so far. very fun car to drive and has a lot of power for a 4 door sedan. the shifting is silky smooth and the engine pulls hard. however like you have already noticed since its a fwd it will have torque steer. it just can't be helped simple physics of a fwd car. but inspite of that it is still alot of fun to drive. i contemplated over getting a G35 but the coupe version. i really don't like the styling of the sedan and the interior is kinda bland. the TL offers probably the best all around package. i would stay away from the bmw like another poster said. since its used it will cost quite a bit to repair. my last car was a bmw and everytime i had to repair something it would cost a fortune. in all honesty i would have probably gotten the G coupe if not for the bad weather here. the VQ engine is spectacular and would have been a blast to cruise around with.
Old 03-25-2005, 04:40 PM
Advanced

I love my TL M6,,, yes it has some torque steer, but it is a luxery car with sport tendencies.. the torque steer is only a problem when you really push it, when you jump on it you just need to be ready. And if this is to be a family car I recommend the A5. I have not owned an automatic in many years, but was tempted with this car.. whether you get an A5 or a M6,, avoid the summer only HPT Bridgestone Potenza 030 tires.. they are much harsher and much more noisey than the regular all seasons.. They do have very good traction but, I will not put them on again when they wear out. Goodyear F1s and Pierelli Pzero Nero's both have as good a traction and quieter with longer tread life.

For me the looks finallized it,, the only other cars on my list when I bought were the Nissan Z350 (too small), Nissan Maxima (same price with options fair looks) and the Honda Accord V6.. (almost the same price with options not as good warranty) none of the Lexus or Infiniti look that stylish to me, and the rest of the Toyota and Nissans are just plain ugly in my opinion.
Old 03-25-2005, 04:50 PM
Team Anthracite Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Similarly, I sold my '95 Accord EX with 152K miles for a new car. I went with the '05 TL Navi 5AT because:
1. Amazing value for the price
2. Wife can drive the AT
3. Excellent combination of sportiness for my wild side and sedan for my family (2 young children)
4. Excellent reliability from Honda
5. Excellent service from nearby Honda/Acura dealer

I have had my car for a month and 900 miles. I have VERY happy with my choice and can only smile at G35s, BMW and Mercedes owners as I drive by them since I know I have a much better deal than they do.

Go to the Acura TL website and do the TL vs G35 MT comparison:
http://www.acura.com/models/model_co....asp?module=tl

In summary, the comparison shows:
Price - G35 starts lower but ends up $1K higher after adding options that come standard with TL

Residual Value - TL is 55% after 3 years, 37% after 5 years, G35 not listed

Warranty - Slight nod to G35 for longer powertrain and rust coverage

Comfort/Convenience - Wireless Telephone Interface not available on G35 - I use this a lot, and the TL has integrated it very well with the navigation system and my phone

Seats - Front Power Memory Seat not available on G35

Sound System - They don't mention it, but I don't think the G35 has the DVD-Audio 5.1 sound - it's quite an amazing thing! Also, the G35 has no cassette, if you are into 20th century technology.

Remotes and Releases - G35 does not have a remote fuel filler door release (hmm, didn't know we had one!- gotta look for that)

Engine and Tranny - More power in the G35. Front vs. Rear wheel drive. Unless you plan to race your car very hard around corners, you'll never notice a difference.

Fuel Ecomony - Slightly better for the TL

Steering, Braking, Traction - Better turning circle for G35, again not that noticeable in the TL. No traction control system in the G35.

Suspension and Tires - About the same. My Michelin's came stock and are excellent.

Safety - Highest marks for the TL. G35 not listed. Make sure you protect Daddy for the family!!!

Anti-theft - No radio anti-theft for G35. Not a biggie.

Dimensions - TL is slightly lighter, slightly better ground clearance, not as high, longer, and wider.

Capacities - G35 has more Cargo room and Fuel Tank capacity (so does a truck)

Interior Dimensions - G35 slighty better in the front, TL slightly better in the rear. Daddy needs to make sure there is room for the kids and the car seats when needed.

Style - TL looks way better, with a fresh, sporty design, especially with A-spec body kit and lip spoiler. G35 looks like a slowly evolved Datsun, trying to be a Porsche teardrop but not quite there yet. (ok, I added this last category)

So, for the sake of your kids, your wife and your style, go for the TL !!!
Old 03-25-2005, 07:48 PM
Drifting

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts
Price - G35 starts lower but ends up $1K higher after adding options that come standard with TL
Our 05' TL is $356 more per 6 months to insure than my 04.5 G35 Coupe

Residual Value - TL is 55% after 3 years, 37% after 5 years, G35 not listed
G35 Coupe is 61% (Best in class), as ALG ranked G35 as a whole (including sedan) as best resale value for near luxury segment, beating out the TL.

Warranty - Slight nod to G35 for longer powertrain and rust coverage
Standard bumper to bumper is longer for Infiniti as well, at 60,000 miles. Powertrain is 70,000 miles.

Comfort/Convenience - Wireless Telephone Interface not available on G35 - I use this a lot, and the TL has integrated it very well with the navigation system and my phone
This is something I really like in our TL, and wish our G had...

Seats - Front Power Memory Seat not available on G35
Actualy, the G35 sedan has memory for the front power seats. It has memory for the Power tilt/telescoping wheel too, which is not available on the TL.

Sound System - They don't mention it, but I don't think the G35 has the DVD-Audio 5.1 sound - it's quite an amazing thing! Also, the G35 has no cassette, if you are into 20th century technology.
True. However, the G35 has MP3/WMA support. I think it's strange that the TL doesn't, but the TSX does.

Remotes and Releases - G35 does not have a remote fuel filler door release (hmm, didn't know we had one!- gotta look for that)
The fuel filler door locks with the rest of the doors. So if you lock your doors, the fuel filler door will lock too, and will not open.

Steering, Braking, Traction - Better turning circle for G35, again not that noticeable in the TL. No traction control system in the G35.
All G35 models come with traction control. The much smaller turning circle, actually is very noticeable. I can make U-Turns with my G, that I can't with our TL.

Suspension and Tires - About the same. My Michelin's came stock and are excellent.
The sport tuned suspension package available on the G35 may get the nod, as it's cheaper than the A-Spec kit... Comes with LSD and forged wheels too. From what I remember, the Pilot Sports that come with the G35, are ranked near the very top. The Pilot MX that come on the TL, actually rank near the bottom, because they got horrible reviews for wet/hydroplaning. At least according to tirerack.

G35 looks like a slowly evolved Datsun, trying to be a Porsche teardrop but not quite there yet. (ok, I added this last category)
I like the styling of both our G Coupe and TL, in different ways. I don't know about calling the G a slowly evolved Datsun tho...
Old 03-25-2005, 07:55 PM
Drifting

I couldn't edit the post because I took too long. I found the link for my numbers, and pulled the numbers for the sedan too:

G35 Coupe is 61% (Best in class), and G Sedan is 58% Click here to see/compare. ALG ranked G35 as a whole (including sedan) as best for near luxury segment, beating out the TL.
Old 03-25-2005, 09:11 PM
Burning Brakes

wow O_O
I didn't know we had so many closet, die-hard g35 fan boys on this board...
Old 03-25-2005, 10:26 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by TLyoung'un
wow O_O
I didn't know we had so many closet, die-hard g35 fan boys on this board...
Yup, and I'm included. The G coupe is one sexy car. If I could have only one weekend car, that'd be it.
Old 03-25-2005, 11:28 PM
Burning Brakes

The coupe me too definitely. But this guy seems to be only looking at sedans.
BTW I wasn't trying to start anything. I went to the edit page to change "die-hard g35 fan boys" to just "g35 fans" but there was some rule about not being able to change my post after 5 minutes? What a weird rule.
Old 03-26-2005, 07:14 AM
Registered Member

Received 162 Likes on 102 Posts
I haven't read all of the posts on this thread but will weigh in with mine anyway. I say this because in a short while, I'm taking the wife out to test drive an '05 TL with auto. I let her drive mine on some back roads last Sunday and she loved it. Mine is an '04 with the manual tranny, and she drives a manual better than most men I've seen.. however, she wants an automatic.

The reason... she has a '96 BMW 328i and it is nothing but problems. Personally, I would never buy another BMW. My TL is S-O-O-O-O much nicer, better, and more fun to drive than her Bimmer. And now she knows this, too.

So we're off here shortly to see about maybe buying her one for herself.

Now as for my TL. I love it. Handling with the 6MT is great.. only thing holding it back is the stock tires (EL42's). When I change those to the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S tires, I KNOW this will improve because I bought the Pilot Sports for my last car (an '02 Altima SE) and what a difference!

As for shifting the 6MT.. it's flawless. Very nice. In fact one of the best I've ever had. Shifter is pretty short with a nice feel, and the throws are pretty short, too. Clutch travel and takeup is also short which causes some folks to stall this car when they first get it. But you get used to it.. the shorter travel and takeup is better than the longer of both of these in some cars.. like my former Altima for example.

Great car. Two days ago, I drove an '04 G35 just purchased used by a neighbor couple. After we got back to my house, I went right out in my TL so I could make a direct comparison (even took the same route). My TL is better in ever respect than their G35 (which is an automatic). Steering, handling, ride, feeling of solidity.. all better with the TL.
Old 03-26-2005, 10:19 AM
Drifting

Originally Posted by SouthernBoy
Great car. Two days ago, I drove an '04 G35 just purchased used by a neighbor couple. After we got back to my house, I went right out in my TL so I could make a direct comparison (even took the same route). My TL is better in ever respect than their G35 (which is an automatic). Steering, handling, ride, feeling of solidity.. all better with the TL.
So you have EL42 on your TL, and you're saying it has better handling and steering, than a G35? Give me a break. We have an 05' TL and an 04' G35, and even my wife thinks the handling is better with the G35.

The one thing that is bothering me about the TL, is the accelerator. It seems to lag a little at the beginning, with non-linear delivery. (Almost gives a feeling of hesitation when I accelerate) I know many have attributed this to throttle-by-wire, but my G35 has throttle by wire, and doesn't exhibit this. It's not a big deal, as I'm sure it's easy to get used to, but that was the first thing my wife and I noticed when we got our 05' TL.

You can't go wrong with either car, it's just a matter of what you're looking for.
Old 03-26-2005, 11:30 AM
2004 TL w/ 6MT & Navi

Originally Posted by caball88
6MT owner here and i am very satisfied with it so far. very fun car to drive and has a lot of power for a 4 door sedan. the shifting is silky smooth and the engine pulls hard. however like you have already noticed since its a fwd it will have torque steer. it just can't be helped simple physics of a fwd car. but inspite of that it is still alot of fun to drive. i contemplated over getting a G35 but the coupe version. i really don't like the styling of the sedan and the interior is kinda bland. the TL offers probably the best all around package. i would stay away from the bmw like another poster said. since its used it will cost quite a bit to repair.
I agree with caball88's assessment.

With the VSA traction control turned off, torque-steer is very evident in the 6MT, especially when coming off the line or out of a corner in 1st or 2nd gear. However, once you get experienced with the car you can overcome that. Same thing goes for the 1st gear issues others have stated. The 3rd Gen TL is by far the best bang for the buck in its class.

As for what others have stated concerning insurance prices, upkeep costs, etc., I think that depends on several factors...age, marital status, driving record, driving habits, etc. For example, if you are under 25 years old and single, I would think that insurance coverage would be less for a TL than a G35 Coupe. And, if you drive a car hard, the tires and brakes will wear faster...but it also depends on the kind of tires you have. This kind of stuff I really pay no attention to anymore. And, if you take care of a TL, I see no reason why you could own one happily for 10 years.
Old 03-26-2005, 12:51 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by jmn4667
As for what others have stated concerning insurance prices, upkeep costs, etc., I think that depends on several factors...age, marital status, driving record, driving habits, etc. For example, if you are under 25 years old and single, I would think that insurance coverage would be less for a TL than a G35 Coupe.
I would've thought so too. I found that to be not the case though, as I own an 05' TL and an 04' G35 Coupe. The TL is about $700 more per year to insure than the G35 is. Even our departed 03' TL was about $400 more per year to insure than our G35.

You would think if the TL is cheaper to insure than a G when you are <25 and single, it would still be cheaper to insure when you are > 25 and married.
Old 03-26-2005, 01:58 PM
2004 TL w/ 6MT & Navi

Originally Posted by avs007
I would've thought so too. I found that to be not the case though, as I own an 05' TL and an 04' G35 Coupe. The TL is about $700 more per year to insure than the G35 is. Even our departed 03' TL was about $400 more per year to insure than our G35.

You would think if the TL is cheaper to insure than a G when you are <25 and single, it would still be cheaper to insure when you are > 25 and married.
No doubt. I am paying $995 a year on my '04 TL and I've never been married. Did you shop around for insurance at all? If so, did all of the providers ask more for the TL?
Old 03-26-2005, 02:37 PM
Drifting

No doubt. I am paying $995 a year on my '04 TL and I've never been married. Did you shop around for insurance at all? If so, did all of the providers ask more for the TL?
Yeah, we did call around, and it looks like the TL is more expensive to insure across the board. I suppose it could be just our region, but I don't think the PacNW is known for high insurance or anything. My brother has an Accord V6 and an 05' Odysee, and he's paying more to insure those than my G as well. Maybe it's just expensive to insure honda cars in this part of the country.
Old 03-26-2005, 02:51 PM
Registered Member

To avs007;

I would give you a break, but seriously, that was my impression. Could be due to the prior owner of the G35.. it had over 17,000 miles on it. But there several very notable things. My TL feels tighter and more solid than their G35. The steering is better.. probably because of the ratio. I suspect their G35 is around 3 turns lock to lock.. the manual TL is 2.77. Mine has better throttle response.. absolutely no hesitation what so ever. My last car, a 2002 Altima SE had the infamous (for Altimas) throttle hesitation. There was a TSB out on it but because of my mods, I never took it in for the fix (software).

And since you weren't present in these two test drives, you are not in a position to weigh in with an opinion, though I respect your input anyway.

Now with all of that said, we just bought my wife a 2005 TL a few hours ago. It's SSM/Quartz/5AT/Nav. As soon as I test drove it, I noticed the difference in handling and ride. The manual has stiffer springs, shocks, and larger sway bars. Plus it sits lower than the automatic. This all aids the handling characteristics of the manual TL.
Old 03-26-2005, 03:12 PM
2004 TL w/ 6MT & Navi

Originally Posted by avs007
Yeah, we did call around, and it looks like the TL is more expensive to insure across the board. I suppose it could be just our region, but I don't think the PacNW is known for high insurance or anything. My brother has an Accord V6 and an 05' Odysee, and he's paying more to insure those than my G as well. Maybe it's just expensive to insure honda cars in this part of the country.
All I know is that Hondas, not Acuras, are some of the most stolen vehicles in the U.S. so I would expect them to have a higher insurance premium. Other than that, I don't know why Acuras would have higher premiums than other cars in that class.
Old 03-26-2005, 06:45 PM
Registered Member

To jmn4667;

You wrote, "With the VSA traction control turned off, torque-steer is very evident in the 6MT, especially when coming off the line "

I have to say that I have little or no torque steet coming out of the hole (lauching hard) when on good pavement with no debris under the tires when I have the VSA off. I have practiced a few times doing this and it was fine. Very predictable and no torque steer problems. The only problem was wheel spin. That's more difficult to modulate.
Old 03-26-2005, 07:14 PM
Racer

I've had a 6MT for 13 months and 31k miles, and I do agree torque steer is noticeable, but I don't think it should be a deciding factor. The only times it's gonna be an issue is when you really hammer it from a stop, and I just don't find myself doing that much; 3rd gear is where I find myself putting my foot down, and by that time, you're already cruising straight.

As for the Brembos, I'm about to take off my snows and I'm expecting I'll have to replace the pads, although at 29k miles the dealer said they were fine.
Old 03-27-2005, 08:23 AM
In need of an AV.........

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by downtown
Thanks for the feed back guys!

Mickey3, I do understand that the Sport sedans are more $ on the upkeep too. Especially the tires/insurance it seems.

The BMW has an equal shifter, but hugs well too. The auto in this car is also sweet. Could go w/ either.

The reason why I may get the 330, is because I can get a low mile one (less than 20K) and everything I want for a fairly good price. I may add an extended warranty and go for it.

I'll definitely search other forums, but I'm hoping to get a few more 6mt hits on this one
I traded a 2003 330 for my TL. I can tell you this about my BMW experience. I bought the car with 8k miles for a "good" deal. I bought the extended warranty and everything. It is a great drivers car. It handles very well. That is the end of it. The ride sucks for passengers and on longer trips. The seats are hard as rocks. My car was in the shop 6 times in 3 months. The drivers side seat clicked all the time. IMO the TL's power far exceeds the BMW. The BMW interior is bland and ugly. Everything is an option, where in the TL everything is standard. I literally put more miles on the loaners than I did on my car. BMW gave me another 330 to drive. They were going to trade me even for mine, since I had sooo many problems. It sucked too. It had the same issues with the seats. The passenger window stopped working, sunroof leaked, etc. I would advise you to avoid the 3 series at all cost. It is fun to drive on curvy roads, but that is it!!!!!

Plus with the all new design of the 3 series, the last gen will be worth nothing on trade.

I LOVE MY TL---6mt
Old 03-27-2005, 08:24 AM
In need of an AV.........

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
All I know is that Hondas, not Acuras, are some of the most stolen vehicles in the U.S. so I would expect them to have a higher insurance premium. Other than that, I don't know why Acuras would have higher premiums than other cars in that class.
My TL is $.43 more a month than my 03 330 was.
Old 03-27-2005, 09:14 AM
Drifting

Originally Posted by JWhite1301
Plus with the all new design of the 3 series, the last gen will be worth nothing on trade.

I LOVE MY TL---6mt
I don't know... You would think with all the new designs of the 04+ TL, the 2G TL's would be worth nothing on trade. I got 2k over kelly blue for our 03 TL with 60k miles on it, even tho it had door dings galore and a cracked windshield.

But yeah, so far we're loving the 05' TL we just got for the wife. Maybe now, the wife will stop asking if she can drive my G35 Now I just gotta convince her to let me install the A-Spec kit on it When I asked about that at the dealer, she was like, "I thought this car was for me "

So far she's babying the car more than I've ever seen in my life. She used to make fun of me for parking my G out in the boondocks, but she's doing the same with her TL now....
Old 03-27-2005, 11:47 AM
Racer

At my insurance company, the G35 Coupe would have been roughly $100 more per 6 months than a 05 TL. I know because I asked them when I was shopping around.
Old 03-27-2005, 12:03 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by PG2G
At my insurance company, the G35 Coupe would have been roughly $100 more per 6 months than a 05 TL. I know because I asked them when I was shopping around.
It's stuff like this, that makes me have to ask the insurance companies how they calculate rates.... Am I paying too much to insure my TL, or is my G35 just unusually cheap for my region?

I'm paying ~$550 per 6 months for my G35 Coupe, and a little less than $900 per 6 months for our TL. (Married, no children, 1 ticket, no accidents, etc). When we had the 03' TLP, it was ~ $750 per 6 months.

I'm just curious, becuase I understand rates vary greatly from person to person, region to region, etc. But I always assumed that from car to car, it would always be the same.
Old 03-27-2005, 12:33 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by JWhite1301
My TL is $.43 more a month than my 03 330 was.

My TL cost me $538 per six months, 16.67 a month more than the 2001 Chevy Silverado pickup I got rid of..

As far as shifting, it is very good,, especially compared the crappy shifting of the Silverado.. but my wife's Element 5M shifts as easily, and I have had two cars in the past that shifted quicker and crisper,, my 1979 Fiat Spyder (the trans about the only thing good on that Fiat) , and my 1998 Acura Integra which I wish I had never gotten rid of.