Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

First Oil Change?

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2007, 11:25 AM
Slicker Than Your Average

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
First Oil Change?

I purchased my 2007 Acura TL at the very end of December 2006 and I got a call the other day from the service manager at the Acura dealership where I purchased my car saying that it's been three months and I need to get my first oil change. In the manual it says that I should follow the Maintenance Minder system, but when I called the dealership they said that I should change my oil every three months. I have 1,500 miles on my car with 80% oil life. What should I do? Thanks!
Old 04-11-2007, 11:38 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by S L I C K
I purchased my 2007 Acura TL at the very end of December 2006 and I got a call the other day from the service manager at the Acura dealership where I purchased my car saying that it's been three months and I need to get my first oil change. In the manual it says that I should follow the Maintenance Minder system, but when I called the dealership they said that I should change my oil every three months. I have 1,500 miles on my car with 80% oil life. What should I do? Thanks!
They are there trying to make money. Oil nowadays lasts longer, but it doesnt hurt to change at 3K miles. Also, the factory filled oil is "special" in that it contains additives that help break in the engine better. Havoline's oil has these same additives in almost the same concentrations, so if you want to change it out, go for it! I personally changed mine at 1200 miles with Mobil 1 ( this was before i knew that our factory fill oil was "special") Some people like to change it out in the first 1000 miles to get rid of any manufacturing debris (might be a myth, but ehhhhh.) I would say follow your gut! Remember, hes there trying to make money! Good luck in your decision!
Old 04-11-2007, 11:41 AM
Registered but harmless

Received 1,107 Likes on 765 Posts
Your first instinct was right: follow the MM and ignore the service guy, esp. since you are on the break-in oil.
Old 04-11-2007, 03:20 PM
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The following is copied and pasted DIRECTLY from the maintainence FAQ on Acura OwnerLink:

"Why should I wait to change the oil the first time?

Your Acura engine was delivered with an oil that is specially formulated for new engines that have not yet developed their "natural" wear patterns and may contain minute particles from the manufacturing process.

American Honda strongly recommends this special oil be left in the engine long enough for these wear patterns to develop, usually until the first maintenance interval specified in your Owner's Manual, based on your specific driving conditions."

Also:

"How often should I change my oil after the first service?

Refer to your owner's manual for the recommended service intervals. Separate maintenance schedules are listed for "normal service" and "severe service." Read the description of severe service carefully. Most vehicles will fall under the normal service category. Note that the service intervals are listed by time in addition to distance. Your oil should be changed at whichever interval, time or distance, occurs first.

There is absolutely no benefit in changing your oil more frequently than recommended in your owner's manual. This will only increase your cost of ownership, and create an unnecessary burden upon the environment by increasing the amount of disposed oil."

You should go down to the dealership and ask the service manager what it says in Acura Owner link and why American Honda recommends not changing the oil more frequently than the recommended service intervals, even though he wants you to change it every 3 months. I'd like to see the look on his face...
Old 04-11-2007, 03:35 PM
Racer

Do not do what the dealer suggests. The myth of the 3 month oil change has long been disproven. Be very wary of anything else they might suggest as their motives are clearly for revenue enhancement.
Old 04-11-2007, 04:06 PM
Advanced

After a lot of reading on this site I changed it with Havoline at 1500 and again at 3000. Then I change it every 5K with Mobile 5w20.
Old 04-11-2007, 04:21 PM
THE PLANE TAKES OFF!!!!!

Is 5w20 the best oil for the TL-S? I'm due for my first change... conventional I assume?
Old 04-11-2007, 05:12 PM

Received 5,934 Likes on 2,927 Posts
Follow the MM and the Owner's Manual. Just like others have said, the dealers see a profit opportunity with continuing to perpetuate the belief in the 3 mo./3,000 mile practice. I just got my 2nd oil change this week and I was at 11,700, with the first one occurring at ~5,600.
Old 04-11-2007, 08:56 PM
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I remember when I go my TL last year I took it to the dealer with about 2000 miles wanting them to put in Mobil 1. They strongly recommended I wait to at least 4000 miles (or go by the MID) for a good break-in. It sounds like your dealer cares more about the buck than proper care for your car.
Old 04-11-2007, 09:56 PM
Pro

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
Working in a dealer...i change my oil every 2000miles, Newer oils may last longer...but most dealerships use recycled oil, so that 2002 4cyl accord with 200k is getting the same oil that your 2007 is gettin...Your oil life indicator last about 5000miles untill the 15% indicator i believe...and the MORE you beat on your car...The faster the oil life drops. Dont forget to get your trans serviced i do it every 10Kmiles....i beat on my car realllllly hard...i believe its recommend every 15K though...And dealers aren't just theyre to take yout money....we're just informing you of which and what services we recommend for your vehicle =P
Old 04-12-2007, 09:42 AM
Slicker Than Your Average

I called Acura yesterday and talked with a case manager today and he told me to always follow the Maintenance Minder system, especially for the first oil change.
Old 04-12-2007, 09:53 AM
Intermediate

SLICK, thx for your reply (just PMed u)
as far as oil change, this is for my RDX, dunno if it applies to TL also, but at least it will give u some idea about a good dealership. my RDX had a little over 5k miles when the indicator showed oil life 5%, so I made appointment for first oil change. When i got there, service advisor told me for the first oil change you can put more mileage on your car for a good break-in since its new oil, especially if you use synthetic it will last longer. he's a good service advisor without asking me to change it right away just for the money. finally, i waited until it has 6k miles for first oil change.
i would say just wait, put more mileage on it for good break-in & always use synthetic oil (it can last over 5k)
Old 04-12-2007, 12:58 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 66 Likes on 28 Posts

Yes, indeed. Lab analysis I have had done shows that Havoline 5W-20 is almost identical to the Acura factory fill break-in oil. It is high in molybdenum.

I recommend changing the factory fill at 2-3000 miles and replacing FOR THE FIRST CHANGE only, with Havoline regular "dino" oil.

For subsequent OCIs (oil change intervals), go with the MID. Personally, I use a premium synthetic like Mobil 1, Castrol Sytec, or the like.

My car has very low mileage so I end up changing by the default calendar of once a year.