Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

First Flat Tire & TPMS & VSA Question

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2006, 01:27 AM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
First Flat Tire & TPMS & VSA Question

I drove on a gravel road and got a huge nail stuck in my rear right tire. As I was driving off the parking lot, the TPMS alerted me with the rear right tire having lost about 10PSI. If it weren't for the TPMS, I probably wouldn't have known until the rims got damaged.

The change to the spare was very easy. I also noticed that the TL spare tires look so nice. Never ever seen a spare tire that looked so good.

I have two questions though:

1) On the manual, it says to turn off the VSA when driving on a flat. Anyone know why?

2) Also, when I put the spare on the TPMS reads all the tire pressures including the spare at 60PSI. After driving for about 10 mins, the TPMS alerts saying that there is an error and it won't give any readings anymore. If I turn the car off and start it again, the TPMS comes back on with the correct readings but will go out to give an error after about 10 mins of driving. Anyone know anything about this?
Old 04-23-2006, 07:14 AM
Administrator

Received 1,012 Likes on 577 Posts
The VSA uses wheel revolutions to compute when to apply, and since the spare is smaller it messes up the VSA. Same thing applies to using different size tires on different wheels.

Maybe the TPMS uses this method to alert you that you have a problem or to remind you that you are using the spare. Just a guess because we still haven't had a lot of postings about TPMS.
Old 04-23-2006, 08:09 AM
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
The TPMS on the TL uses a sensor in each wheel. The valve stem is the antenna for the sensor and the actual sensor is a small platic box connected to the valve stem. I am not sure if the spare of the TL has one. I am not sure why it told you that all the tires had 60 psi. Some of the TPMS systems tell the driver the pressure is each tire ( ie corvette, suburban, grand cherokee ect) others just alert the driver with a message that they have a low tire. It is up to the driver to figure it out.
The reason it takes a few minutes to tell you that you have a problem is because when the sensors are not spinning they turn off or go to rest. They will a only give readings after they have been moving more than 10mph for a few minutes. This saves battery life of the sensors.

Ron is right about the VSM. Also Ron is right about some of the TPMS. Some TPMS use the ABS sensors to sense the revolutions of all the tires.
Old 04-23-2006, 08:48 AM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Only the spare read 60 which is correct for that spare. The rest of the tires were 36 / 32 (normal)

I know that there are box like sensors on the wheel that do the TPMS. But I don't see one for the spare. However, like I said, the spare reads the correct PSI and displays it on the MID.

But again, what I am not understanding is why the TPMS goes out after 10 mins if the spare's pressure is read.

It sucks to have no tire places open on Sundays so I finally found Wal-Mart. They looked at my tires and told me it's Wal-Mart policy that they can't work on Z rated tires (Performance Tires) because they are prone to blowing out if they plug/ patch. They told me to goto the Discount Tires or Goodyear when they open tomorrow. What would they do different? I have to wait till tomorrow to get my tires fixed I guess. I don't feel too safe riding on my spare too long...
Old 04-23-2006, 08:56 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 293 Likes on 253 Posts
Originally Posted by bhelsdon
The reason it takes a few minutes to tell you that you have a problem is because when the sensors are not spinning they turn off or go to rest. They will a only give readings after they have been moving more than 10mph for a few minutes. This saves battery life of the sensors.
Makes sense but did you know that if you have no sensors at all it still takes the same few minutes at over 10 MPH for the TPMS to trigger a warning. So something else must be resting too.

Lets hope the people that rely on the TPMS to tell them they have a low tire or a flat don't have a flat in the first few minutes when the system is resting. A habitual visual when you walk up to your car can show tires that are low if you know what yours normally look like at pressure and a low front tire even down a couple of pounds from the other will pull to the side of the low tire.
Old 04-23-2006, 09:03 AM
Pro

So there is no sensor in the spare?
Old 04-23-2006, 09:15 AM
Pro

[QUOTE=Jesstzn]Makes sense but did you know that if you have no sensors at all it still takes the same few minutes at over 10 MPH for the TPMS to trigger a warning. So something else must be resting too.

On the systems without senors inside the tires they use the ABS speed sensors to compare revolutions. The computer has to have enough time to compare readings from each speed sensor. IMOP this system is not as good as the systems with sensors in each tire. But as with most computer things, the new version is usually better than the original. The TPMS is still new technology and will be perfected over time.
Old 04-23-2006, 09:18 AM
Suzuka Master

[QUOTE=bhelsdon]
Originally Posted by Jesstzn
Makes sense but did you know that if you have no sensors at all it still takes the same few minutes at over 10 MPH for the TPMS to trigger a warning. So something else must be resting too.

On the systems without senors inside the tires they use the ABS speed sensors to compare revolutions. The computer has to have enough time to compare readings from each speed sensor. IMOP this system is not as good as the systems with sensors in each tire. But as with most computer things, the new version is usually better than the original. The TPMS is still new technology and will be perfected over time.
What I am saying is I have an 06 with the TPMS and after market wheels with no sensors and it still takes the same few minutes at over 10 MPH for the TPMS to trigger a warning.
Old 04-23-2006, 09:35 AM
Pro

Originally Posted by Jesstzn
What I am saying is I have an 06 with the TPMS and after market wheels with no sensors and it still takes the same few minutes at over 10 MPH for the TPMS to trigger a warning.
I sorry I misunderstood you. I didn't realize that you disabled your system . WOW that seems like a long time. I have an 04 so mine doesn't have TPMS, so pardon my ignorance on the Acura TPMS. If you remove a sensor from GM or chrysler systems they warn you as soon as you turn on the key. When I get to work on Monday I will look in my TPMS book to learn more about the Acura system.
Old 04-23-2006, 10:05 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,090 Likes on 767 Posts
maybe since the spare doesn't have a sensor on it, and aftermarket wheels don't have sensors causes the warning to appear after a set amount of time... if the computer reads only 3 sensors, it could only assume that you are running on a spare and outputs 60psi... the warning could just be a reminder to the driver that you are on a spare (don't drive over 55mph for an extended amount of time)

verification from those who have aftermarket wheels without TPMS sensors... does it read 60psi???
Old 04-23-2006, 10:17 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by KaMLuNg
verification from those who have aftermarket wheels without TPMS sensors... does it read 60psi???
No .. after a few minutes it aleams a TPMS code and when you advance the MID to the TPMS it shows an error and no tire pressures at all .. just a line where each would be.
Old 04-23-2006, 10:23 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,090 Likes on 767 Posts
anyone try with 3 OEM wheels with sensors and 1 aftermarket one??? or maybe a full size spare???