Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fcuked up my TL pretty bad

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2004, 10:31 AM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
mess up my TL pretty bad

Hey kids, I just wanted to tell you guys.....DONT TRY TO CLEAR THE HEADLIGHTS IF YOU DONT KNOW EVERY LITTLE PUSH PIN THAT HOLDS YOUR CAR TOGETHER..... WIth that said, heres my story. So yesterday I decided I wanted to clear my headlights, so I go down to lowes and go buy me some sealant. I go home and w/ the help of my friend try to figure out how to get the dang bumper of. Took us about 2 hours and in the process, scratched the paint up pretty bad (15 nicks and chips all together). split 2 freaking impossible to get off push pins w/ screwheads? So we finally get the freaking bumper off and start uncrewing shit to get to the headlight compartment. We get all the nuts and shit out and we finally get the light out. By then its 7 O'Clock and starting to get dark. We figure out we need some special torx screwdriver or some shit so I have to go down to O' Riellys and get this 5 piece head set that costs $20. So we go back get the headlights out and take out all bulbs and stuff. We find it almost impossible to get the plastuc parts and silica out so We say no more. We start putting my car back together and finish @ about 10:30. In this process, we manage to scuff the bumper a couple times and nick the paint a couple more times and have 3 extra push pins which we dont know goes where. I am pissed off at this point and just want my car back to normal. So the moral of this story is.....DONT TRY TO CLEAR YOUR HEADLIGHTS! ITS NOT WORTH IT! I have to get a little paint repair and get my bumper fixed. I was planning on getting the body kit anyways so I guess its ok. Anybody know if the body kit replaces the full front bumper? Thanks!
Old 06-24-2004, 10:33 AM
Racer

I also got about 8 dents in my radiator and melted the plastic that is surrounding the tires in the process of driving w/o the bumper on.
Old 06-24-2004, 10:35 AM
Pug
Team Camel, VP for Zaino

Stupid question: why do you want to clear the headlights? Does it make them brighter?

(Sorry to here about your troubles, that really sucks).
Old 06-24-2004, 10:37 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 131 Likes on 79 Posts
the bumper is really easy to remove, if you have the proper instructions :P
Old 06-24-2004, 11:09 AM
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Oil Change Instructions

"Oil Change Instructions For Women"

1) Pull up to Jiffy Lube after 3 months (or 3000 miles since the last oil
change.)
2) Drink a cup of coffee.
3) write a check and
4) leave with a properly maintained vehicle

Money spent:
$29.00 for oil change
$0.00 for coffee
Total = $29.00

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Oil Change Instructions For Men"

1) Go to auto parts store
2) Write a check for $50.00 for:
oil, filter, kitty litter, hand cleaner, and a pine tree scented air
freshener
3) Discover that the used oil container is full.
4) Instead of taking it back to O'Reilly to recycle, dump in hole in back
yard.
5) Open a beer and drink it.
6) Jack car up. Spend 30 minutes looking for jack stands.
7) Find jack stands under kid's pedal car.
8) In frustration, open another beer and drink it.
9) Place drain pan under engine.
10) Look for 9/16 box end wrench.
11) Give up and use crescent wrench.
12) Unscrew drain plug.
13) Drop drain plug in pan of hot oil: get hot oil on you in process.
14) Clean up mess.
15) Have another beer while watching oil drain.
16) Look for oil filter wrench.
17) Give up; puncture oil filter with screwdriver and twist off.
18) Beer.
19) Buddy shows up;
20) Finish case of beer with buddy. Finish oil change tomorrow.
21) Next day, drag pan full of old oil out from underneath car.
22) Throw kitty litter on oil spilled during step 21.
23) Beer? No, drank it all yesterday.
24) Walk to 7-11; buy beer.
25) Install new oil filter (making sure to apply a thin coat of oil to
gasket surface)
26) Dump first quart of fresh oil into engine.
27) Remember drain plug from step 12.
28) Hurry to find drain plug in drain pan.
29) Discover that the used oil is buried in a hole in the back yard, along
with drain plug
30) Drink beer.
31) Uncover hole and sift for drain plug.
32) Discover that first quart of fresh oil is now on the floor.
33) Drink beer.
34) Slip with wrench tightening drain plug, banging knuckles.
35) Bang head on floor boards in reaction to step 34.
36) Begin cussing fit.
37) Throw wrench.
38) Cuss for additional 10 minutes because wrench hit Miss December (1992).
39) Beer.
40) Clean up and bandage as required to stop blood flow.
41) Beer.
42) Beer.
43) Dump in five fresh quarts of oil.
44) Beer.
45) Lower car from jack stands.
46) Accidentally crush one of the jack stands.
47) Move car back
48) Apply more kitty litter to fresh oil spilled during step 32.
49) Beer.
50) Test drive car.
51) Get pulled over: arrested for driving under the influence.
52) Make bail
53) Get car from impound yard.

Money spent:
$50.00 parts
$25.00 beer
$75.00 replacement set of jack stands:
$1,000.00 Bail
$200.00 Impound and towing fee
$1,350.00 Total
Old 06-24-2004, 11:15 AM
Safety Car

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
Lol!
Old 06-24-2004, 11:15 AM
cnp
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
In the back of your manual there is a reference to purchasing a service manual - could come in handy for these type of things. Also, if the housing were to ever be removed, it might be very difficult - there is an antitheft bar that is hidden internally that hold the housing, at least so says the owner's manual. Second, the front aerokit molding only covers the lower part of the bumper a few inches. You can find pics all over this forum and also part pics at various online parts dealers' websites (eg Ray Lak in NY or somewhere, Escondido Acura, and so on).

Originally Posted by EggrollXpress61
Hey kids, I just wanted to tell you guys.....DONT TRY TO CLEAR THE HEADLIGHTS IF YOU DONT KNOW EVERY LITTLE PUSH PIN THAT HOLDS YOUR CAR TOGETHER..... WIth that said, heres my story. So yesterday I decided I wanted to clear my headlights, so I go down to lowes and go buy me some sealant. I go home and w/ the help of my friend try to figure out how to get the dang bumper of. Took us about 2 hours and in the process, scratched the paint up pretty bad (15 nicks and chips all together). split 2 freaking impossible to get off push pins w/ screwheads? So we finally get the freaking bumper off and start uncrewing shit to get to the headlight compartment. We get all the nuts and shit out and we finally get the light out. By then its 7 O'Clock and starting to get dark. We figure out we need some special torx screwdriver or some shit so I have to go down to O' Riellys and get this 5 piece head set that costs $20. So we go back get the headlights out and take out all bulbs and stuff. We find it almost impossible to get the plastuc parts and silica out so We say fcuk it. We start putting my car back together and finish @ about 10:30. In this process, we manage to scuff the bumper a couple times and nick the paint a couple more times and have 3 extra push pins which we dont know goes where. I am pissed off at this point and just want my car back to normal. So the moral of this story is.....DONT TRY TO CLEAR YOUR HEADLIGHTS! ITS NOT WORTH IT! I have to get a little paint repair and get my bumper fixed. I was planning on getting the body kit anyways so I guess its ok. Anybody know if the body kit replaces the full front bumper? Thanks!
Old 06-24-2004, 11:21 AM
My dog thinks I'm Elvis!

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
Maybe it's just me...but I don't get it...
WTF were you thinking?
Old 06-24-2004, 11:35 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The under body spoiler will cover very little of the bumper. In the area of 5% only. Most of the bumper remains exposed. Sorry.
Old 06-24-2004, 11:35 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by SBTL
WTF were you thinking?
My thoughts exactly. :sqnteek:
Old 06-24-2004, 11:44 AM
Shift_faster

Next time try Mr. . Although removing your bumper would still be DIY.
Old 06-24-2004, 01:35 PM
Racer

Clearing your headlights makes it look friggin awesome. Very clean etc. Check it out.
Old 06-24-2004, 01:40 PM
never stops!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
That is why god created Mr. .
Old 06-24-2004, 02:08 PM
Racer

Still have no idea what "clearing your headlights" means?
Old 06-24-2004, 02:12 PM
Banned

Clearing your headlights makes it look friggin awesome. Very clean etc. Check it out.
Yeah, it sounds like it did wonders for your car.
Old 06-24-2004, 02:30 PM
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Some assembly required...

Kids, don't try this at home...
Old 06-24-2004, 02:45 PM
Cruisin'

So, why clear the headlights again??
Old 06-24-2004, 02:49 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by dannodaman
it looks cleaner without the orange.
Old 06-24-2004, 02:56 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by dannodaman
You might be a ricer if you clear the headlights.
Old 06-24-2004, 02:58 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by dcarlinf1
BLASPHAMY!
Old 06-24-2004, 02:59 PM
SOLD

Originally Posted by dcarlinf1
All you have to do is look at the picture on top of this page and judge for yourself.
Old 06-24-2004, 03:14 PM
My dog thinks I'm Elvis!

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
Old 06-24-2004, 03:24 PM
iDrink

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by MyJohnson
Still have no idea what "clearing your headlights" means?
simply put: removing/replacing the orange/amber lens inside the headlights. meaning getting rid of the orange/amber completely so the entire headlight, sidemarker etc., is void of those colors. i would clear my headlights but i think the orange on my nbp looks good. plus i dont want to risk taking off the front bumper.
Old 06-24-2004, 03:24 PM
Intermediate

One can't help but laugh. Well, I couldn't when I read that.
From the language to the fact that someone would "want" to mess up a new $30,000+ car. Must be a tween!
I am so glad that I am in my thirties and have better things to do with my money.
Please post pictures when you get two of those huge tailpipes on the back and a chicken-wire, I mean, mesh grill on the front. I wan't to see how much paint is left on the car after those installs lol.
Old 06-24-2004, 03:51 PM
Intermediate

Oh, to be young and stupid...
Old 06-24-2004, 08:19 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 66 Likes on 28 Posts
Explain to them; they're not teenagers!

"Clearing the headlights" is a misnomer.

The idea (although I can't get my brain around it) is to remove the amber color from the turnsignal/marker portion of the headlight assembly that bends around to the side of the TL.

The end result is a monochromatic look which apparantly appeals, in some inscrutable way, to the hormone-soaked tastes of our younger brothers.

To each his own. I feel for you, Egg Roll. It reminds me of the time, when I was 16, that I took my father's brand new Pontiac Bonneville (when they were HOT) to the shop and had the guy weld gas tank necks onto the down pipes from the headers on the V8.

With the gas neck caps in place, it was stock. When I wanted to race, I just removed the gas caps and ran straight off the headers. All was fine. I was making some extra money on the weekends racing.

Then, one fine day, my father went over a railroad track, then moved over to the right because he thought a truck was trying to pass him (from the noise). Soon, he realized that it was he that was making the noise. He had knocked a cap off. He went to the dealer and complained. The dealer was wide-eyed!

My Dad asked what the problem was. The Service Manager asked, "Do you have a teenaged son?"

My Dad said, "Yes"

"That's what the problem is," he said laughing.

So, Egg Roll. My question to you is: Does your Dad know about it yet? What did he say?

XP
Old 06-24-2004, 08:34 PM
Team Owner

Received 3,864 Likes on 2,031 Posts
It warms my heart to see the School of Hard Knocks still has full enrollment. Eggroll is beginning to learn why those of us who have been around the block and already made our expensive mistakes don't bother with such silly things as "clearing" the headlights.

Remember the old adage "good judgment comes from experience, and most of that comes from bad judgment."

Mike
Old 06-24-2004, 09:03 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by Xpditor
"Clearing the headlights" is a misnomer.

The idea (although I can't get my brain around it) is to remove the amber color from the turnsignal/marker portion of the headlight assembly that bends around to the side of the TL.

The end result is a monochromatic look which apparantly appeals, in some inscrutable way, to the hormone-soaked tastes of our younger brothers.

To each his own. I feel for you, Egg Roll. It reminds me of the time, when I was 16, that I took my father's brand new Pontiac Bonneville (when they were HOT) to the shop and had the guy weld gas tank necks onto the down pipes from the headers on the V8.

With the gas neck caps in place, it was stock. When I wanted to race, I just removed the gas caps and ran straight off the headers. All was fine. I was making some extra money on the weekends racing.

Then, one fine day, my father went over a railroad track, then moved over to the right because he thought a truck was trying to pass him (from the noise). Soon, he realized that it was he that was making the noise. He had knocked a cap off. He went to the dealer and complained. The dealer was wide-eyed!

My Dad asked what the problem was. The Service Manager asked, "Do you have a teenaged son?"

My Dad said, "Yes"

"That's what the problem is," he said laughing.

So, Egg Roll. My question to you is: Does your Dad know about it yet? What did he say?

XP
Yea He knew. Its my car that I paid for, so he didnt mind what I did with my property. He said he didnt think it was a wise Idea to "take apart a $40,000 toy you just spent your last half a decade saving up for". So I have learned my lesson, but I still think the look is amaZING. guess Ill have to pay the pros to do this job.
Old 06-24-2004, 11:35 PM
Semper Fi

Originally Posted by SporTrac
One can't help but laugh. Well, I couldn't when I read that.
From the language to the fact that someone would "want" to mess up a new $30,000+ car. Must be a tween!
I am so glad that I am in my thirties and have better things to do with my money.
Please post pictures when you get two of those huge tailpipes on the back and a chicken-wire, I mean, mesh grill on the front. I wan't to see how much paint is left on the car after those installs lol.
SportTrac are you implying that because you are in your thirties you would not make these kinds of modifications. Honestly its just a matter of taste, not of age. Personally I wouldn’t clear my headlamps either, but to each his own.

"ccin1492 Oh, to be young and stupid... "

Again assuming that age is in direct correlation with maturity is just plan ignorance. I am 22 years of age, successful lawyer, and former U.S. Marine. Point being, my level of maturity when compared to many above my age, is none the less superior.
Old 06-24-2004, 11:47 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 66 Likes on 28 Posts
Whizz kid!

Originally Posted by ali_enterprises
Again assuming that age is in direct correlation with maturity is just plan ignorance. I am 22 years of age, successful lawyer, and former U.S. Marine. Point being, my level of maturity when compared to many above my age, is none the less superior.
Wow! How did you get college, law school, and military service all in and done and then, become successful as an attorney before 22 years old? But couldn't you be all that and still be immature?

You must have started early. Congratulations. It took me a lot longer than that.

XP
Old 06-24-2004, 11:48 PM
At least I'm housebroken.

so wait a minute - in your four years since high school, you've served a four year tour in the marines and done seven years of secondary education? and i'm king of australia.
Old 06-25-2004, 12:17 AM
Semper Fi

My junior year of High School I had accumlated almost one year of college credits. I graduated from High School at the age of 17. Had my parents sign a waiver for me to go into the Marines. I signed a 4 by 4 reserve contract with the Marines. Finshed bootcamp and infantry school in 7 months. After checking into my reserve unit I started college immediately. I finished my basic classes at KU then enrolled in KU Business/Law program. Which allowed me to save some time. I recently graduated from law school. Total number of years for completion was about 5 1/2 years not the standard seven (although if you count the college credits in the period I attended high school and convert them into semesters it would be about 6 1/2 years). I am proud of my accomplishments in life, and so is my family, but this is just the beginning . Anymore questions please feel free to ask.

Oh by the way I never knew we had royalty on this fourm (TL_CLT). Just joking (sorry if I offended you in anyway.)
Old 06-25-2004, 12:35 AM
Semper Fi

Originally Posted by Xpditor
But couldn't you be all that and still be immature?

XP
Xpditor you make a very valid point. We could go back and forth, and refute each others points. But honestly no one will win. The only point I was trying to bring forth is that not all young people are immature, and we do not think alike. (ex. clearing headlights, extremely large mufflers...) I do apologize if I offended anyone this was not my intent.
Old 06-25-2004, 12:50 AM