Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

"fasten seatbelt" alert

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2003, 07:43 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
"fasten seatbelt" alert

has anyone figured out how to disable the annoying "fasten seatbelt" alert that flashes and beeps at you over and over again if you aren't wearing your seatbelt???
Old 11-13-2003, 07:48 PM
FvCK KNvCKLE

Can't, wouldn't, won't.

Can't-Michigan has a "Click it or ticket" law. You can be pulled over and ticketed just for non use.

Wouldn't-There is no shirt, suit, dress, or nighty that means more than our lives (my wife and myself)

Won't-I like wearing the seatbelt. With roads full of drivers as "dumb as a box of hammers" it just makes sense.

Sorry!
Old 11-13-2003, 07:51 PM
Racer

This has been asked before and was deleted for safety reasons.

I wear mine all of the time.
Old 11-13-2003, 07:54 PM
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Deja vu. Here we go again...

-r
Old 11-13-2003, 07:56 PM
Burning Brakes

Re: "fasten seatbelt" alert

Originally posted by supergreen
has anyone figured out how to disable the annoying "fasten seatbelt" alert that flashes and beeps at you over and over again if you aren't wearing your seatbelt???

Simple just wear it. I guess you have to know someone who was thrown through the windshield before it hits home.
Old 11-13-2003, 08:06 PM
Instructor

Remember, the seatbelt is only one small part of the car's safety system. It was designed to be used in conjunction with the airbags and other safety equipment. Not wearing a seatbelt in a car with airbags is even more dangerous. If it doesn't fit right or is uncomfortable there are extenders, pads, clips and other stuff that may help.

Trust me its not worth it. I lost a cousin because she wasn't buckled in when the Ford Explorer (yes with Firestone tires) flipped over in Arizona.
Old 11-13-2003, 08:17 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,329 Likes on 1,309 Posts
If you hate seatbelts move to New Hampshire.
Old 11-13-2003, 08:18 PM
Racer

I had an ex that thought that by not wearing her seatbelt it would save her life. She had a friend who flipped her convertible and because she wasn't buckled in, it threw her out which kept the car from crushing on top of her.

Needless to say, that girlfriend didn't make the cut. Maybe it was the lack of intellect. haha!

Don't be as stupid as my ex girlfriend. Wear your seatbelt and end this thread.

-Chad
Old 11-13-2003, 08:55 PM
Instructor

Re: "fasten seatbelt" alert

Supergreen,

Yup, that was my post asking the same question that was closed for "safety" reasons!

What's funny is that as you read through other notes, you will see some of these same people that are telling you how dangerous it is not to wear your seatbelts, posting notes about how they have done speeds of 140+ mph in their TL.

I think that's a lot more dangerous to innocent bystanders than me not wearing a seatbelt, don't you?

Anyway, if you ever find an answer to your question, please post it.
I have nothing against anybody wearing a seatbelt.
I just don't want to be told that I have to wear one. . .

Eneg
Old 11-13-2003, 09:31 PM
Team SSM

Sounds like someone needs a ride-along in a patrol car. Let's go to a traffic collision or two. One involved a VW Jetta that went off the freeway. The driver chose not to wear his seat belt, every airbag in the car went off (both front bags, curtain and seat bags) the next call was for the Coroner. Our next call involves an Acura Integra traveling too fast on a curve and well neither of those two were wearing their belts. Both left in the back of the Coroner's van. How about the lady's head vs. the windshield? Ya' the windshield won that one!

ARE YOU GETTING MY POINT???

WEAR YOUR SEAT BELTS OR WEAR A BODY BAG

In my Office this year we've had 9 fatal collisions and 12 people killed. If I remember correctly, 7 or 8 were not properly restrained.
Old 11-13-2003, 09:38 PM
Pro

If you read the manual like I did cover to cover, they spend a LOT of time at the front of it on safety.

Let me tell you, I always wore my seat belts... however after readiung the TL manual and how all these safety features work together, I would be SCARED not to!

Besides the seat belts there are all sorts of sensors and air bags and other properties many computer controlled the car has that keep you safe.

In the event of a wreck, it seems nothign is safer than sitting there and letting this car protect you.

Read the manual.. you will see.

They even have sensors so children in the front seat are not adversely affected by the side airbag....

OK, the TL isn't an Expedition or some big ol truck like car... but they do a lot to protect you.

Mike

PS - They even have tire inflate psi in the back of the manual for people that go umm "fast" .. they say they do not endorse it of course!
Old 11-13-2003, 10:04 PM
Racer

Adding to Copter's post...

I am a Firefighter in the Boston Area. I respond to numerous accidents every week. (one fatal this past week). And to let a lot of you guys know, airbags don't always go off. Even in head on collisions I have gone to accidents where airbags had failed to deploy.
So for those of you relying solely on the airbags saving you, beware.

-Chad
Old 11-13-2003, 10:51 PM
Team SSM

Originally posted by SLVR04TL6PD
Adding to Copter's post...

I am a Firefighter in the Boston Area. I respond to numerous accidents every week. (one fatal this past week). And to let a lot of you guys know, airbags don't always go off. Even in head on collisions I have gone to accidents where airbags had failed to deploy.
So for those of you relying solely on the airbags saving you, beware.

-Chad
Chad has a point. I've been to several roll over T/C's (traffic collisions) and the air bags did not deploy. They did not deploy until we were cutting the occupants out of the wreckage!!

And I have not heard of anyone bragging about going 140 MPH in their TL's.. I'd like to think TL owners are smarter than that!
Old 11-13-2003, 11:19 PM
an Acura has-been

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Thumbs down

Wear it! Friends mom got tossed out the window of a car in a roll over, of 4, 3 made it, they all had their seat belts on, she did not.

nuf said!
Old 11-14-2003, 12:59 AM
Instructor

you guys all sound like my grandma.
i asked a simple technical question.
does anyone have an answer?

p.s. i do wear my seatbelt... but there are times when i am driving the car at low speeds in my complex or in parking lots and that stupid seatbelt alert is EXTREMELY ANNOYING. i want to love my new car, not hate it.
Old 11-14-2003, 01:10 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,329 Likes on 1,309 Posts

p.s. i do wear my seatbelt... but there are times when i am driving the car at low speeds in my complex or in parking lots and that stupid seatbelt alert is EXTREMELY ANNOYING. i want to love my new car, not hate it.
Maybe you should listen your grandma more often
Old 11-14-2003, 03:03 AM
Three Wheelin'

why don't you just put the chest strap behind you, between you and the seatback?
Old 11-14-2003, 05:41 AM
Pro

I understand the posters feelings...

SOmetimes if you are driving a few feet in your complex parking lot, it can get annoying.. but since it happens once or twice in a few min period it isnt that bad,

I actually like seeing my MID turn orange.. it never is orange

I haven't tested this, but if there is a passenger int he passenger seat, will it beep if they do not have their belt on as well, or is this only for the driver?

Mike

PS - I remember in the beginning of the seat belt initiatives in the late 70s that they had cars that just made this annoying Beeeeeeeeep until the belt was on... period. Not just every once in awhile.
Old 11-14-2003, 11:03 AM
Burning Brakes

Why are people continuing to reply to this person? If his grandma couldn't get him to listen to common sense, how are we going to? He acually said "stupid seatbelt"...that's a new oxymoron.
Old 11-14-2003, 11:16 AM
Pro

Originally posted by ACURADDICT
Why are people continuing to reply to this person? If his grandma couldn't get him to listen to common sense, how are we going to? He acually said "stupid seatbelt"...that's a new oxymoron.
I disagree ACURAADDICT!

I agree.. seatbelts ARE stupid.... hey are just... metal and material and whatnot.

The drivers.... they become as stupid as the inadmiate seatbelt when they don't wear them.
Old 11-14-2003, 01:00 PM
Banned

God what a bunch of church ladies! I always wear my seat belt! I'm a pathologist I've seen more highway carnage in a week than most cops see in a year!!! But if I'm going to drive a quarter of a block from one parking space to another it is a pain in the ass, specially in winter wearing 3 jackets to have the annoying little bell going off, on and on. There should be a way to limit the little chime to once or twice. Its been proven that the stupid little chimes dont make anybody that doesn't want to wear a belt wear one. It's just another lawyer income increasing stupidity.
Old 11-14-2003, 01:15 PM
10th Gear

Wow.....this poor guy sure got an earful! I agree with vtechbrain. I have a driveway that is about 1/4 mile long. Sometimes I drive the kids to the end of the driveway to wait for the school bus. Or sometimes I load the trash in the car to take to the end of the driveway. (of courrse, with my new TL, I am now putting the trash in my wife's car!!). Anyway, I ALWAYS wear my seatbelt when I am driving off the property. But I too find the repeated dhime annoying.
Old 11-14-2003, 05:47 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally posted by MikeRadio
I disagree ACURAADDICT!

I agree.. seatbelts ARE stupid.... hey are just... metal and material and whatnot.

The drivers.... they become as stupid as the inadmiate seatbelt when they don't wear them.
O.K. You're entitled to your opinion. I'm just messing around...kind of found this topic and responded. But I do think its better to get in the habit of putting your seatbelt on every time you drive your car. Its such a no-brainer after a while.

Why would you EVER drive without a belt on public streets? All it takes is some lunatic running through a red light, and BAM! you go through the windshield.

I do live in L.A., so I can't relate to the whole winter wardrobe dilemma, and the hassle of getting in and out and fastening the belt every time with all that clothing on.
Old 11-14-2003, 06:16 PM
On the way!

There's probably a switch in the device where the belt plugs in that can be diabled. You could probably rig it to think the belt is always plugged in.

I looked at my '02, and there's wires going to the latch - so it could definitely be done.