3G TL (2004-2008)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

An eye opening experience-changing plugs at 100k...

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2011, 02:19 PM
B A N N E D

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by nfnsquared
You mean with oil? Yeah, that will happen if one over oils the filter. It doesn't take much oil and I'd guess that 50% of K&N users probably put too much oil on the filter. You need to be careful. It's much easier now that the oil is in an aerosol can.
, sorry i guess i did not go back over my post for grammer and such ; was kinda in a time crunch then

but also ANY dirt that does get through then sticks to the oil coating on the element, which then insulates it even more, and run hotter and not
and even when they only have a little coating on it, and you clean them off (i just use brake clean btw), you can actually feel the throttle response come back, because that element is not insulated anymore, and any additional mass that was on it, is now off of it, and it heats up and cools off faster with changes in the airflow over it

also i have even seen dirty MAF sensors cause lean codes too, which all it took was a cleaning to fix
Old 01-05-2011, 02:22 PM
B A N N E D

Originally Posted by I hate cars
Hi Mike! You're right, most TLs are gone before they even hit 100K so you could run a screen over the throttle body and get away with it in some areas. The only thing I've thought of differently is the majority of the posters on here now are second hand owners so we may see more high mileage TLs. You know how dusty Bakersfield is, that's one big reason I won't run a K&N. I tried one in the TL just for a month and I hated letting off the throttle every time I went through a dirt cloud.

Yep. I've never tested the theory on a TL but on my other car non resistor plugs caused "weird" things in the electronic systems. It was one of those things I heard would happen but I had to see for myself.
i bought mine from the original owner with 100,500 miles on it, and I know for a fact that the plugs had already been changed at 90k (along with the t/belt and water pump too), because i was the one that had did it for him
Old 01-05-2011, 02:32 PM
B A N N E D

I'm on my phone so I'll get into details later. Think about the throttle body, its the ultimate restriction yet the more it restricts air the less power and the better mpg.
yeah maybe..., because you would lets say have to go WOT to maintain a highway cruise, but in reality you would still only be in theory only 30% throttle, because of the air filter causing the restriction instead, the point of restriction just moves

but i will say one thing though, there are many other factors that can cause issues especially being that the "restriction" moving further up the intake system, like the PCV system not breathing/flowing correctly (since it would have vacuum on the fresh air side now); also emissions system that need ported vacuum instead of manifold vacuum; but yes theoretically the MPG should stay the same
Old 01-19-2011, 08:43 PM
Race Director

Received 1,794 Likes on 1,347 Posts
Marcus and other K & N air filter users:

Here's a UOA of my M1 5W20 after 8198 miles (I've been using a K & N for 100K miles). Note the Silicon levels are very low...and I live on a dirt road!! Looks like my K & N is doing a fine job of filtration

Old 01-19-2011, 09:25 PM
Team Owner

Received 1,812 Likes on 1,283 Posts
It means the oil filter is doing a good job. There are tons out there with a K&N and high silicone. There are some where the user switched to a K&N and silicone went up and then back down when they switched back over to a paper element. 10ppm is not low, it's average.

Again, this test can not pick up particles larger than a certain size range so if the K&N is letting larger particles in it will not show up in this test. However, the cylinder wall and compressor wheel abrasion I've seen are more than enough real life testing to convince me of the damage of K&Ns over time.
Old 01-19-2011, 09:45 PM
Chapter Leader (South Florida Region)

Received 19,982 Likes on 14,493 Posts
Wow, thanks for sharing...awesome information!
Old 01-19-2011, 09:49 PM
Race Director

Received 1,794 Likes on 1,347 Posts
10ppm is not low, it's average.
According to BITOG, it's low (acceptable levels: 10 -30 ppm, see the chart).

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/whatisoilanalysis.htm

..... This is repeatable and the high silicone in oil after K&N installation is consistent in all but the cleanest (wettest) climates.....
Oops, guess it wasn't repeatable in my case...and daily drives on a dirt road to boot....
Old 01-19-2011, 09:57 PM
Team Owner

According to BITOG, it's low (acceptable levels: 10 -30 ppm, see the chart).

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/whatisoilanalysis.htm
Depends on when that was written. Bitog of late is much different than bitog of 5 years ago. I would believe acurazine posters over new bitog posters.

Regardless, it's low average but not low by any means.

Oops, guess it wasn't repeatable in my case...and daily drives on a dirt road to boot....
It means you made a good choice on whatever oil filter you're using or you have larger particles entering the engine.

It really doesn't matter what either of us say, the only real evidence is at tear down time which will probably never happen in yours. I've pulled mine down for a routine inspection for cracked main webbing and found the advanced abrasion.
Old 01-19-2011, 10:26 PM

Oh no! You 2 clearly know your stuff...serious. Much respect here.

I think we should get back to discussing plug changes.
I used a pretty good discount code for advance auto and bought mine for $39! Going to change them in the next few weeks...also want to figure out this stupid cracked lower control arm bushing thing...it's annoying!
Old 01-20-2011, 12:30 PM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I always do preventitive maintence on my cars and if i see an improvement of any sort after it is done then I know that it was past due and I should have done it earlier. Like changing the transmission oil. If you feel that changing the tranny oil made a big difference then your tranny oil was wore out and needed to be changed a while ago. I did the plugs at 50k on the TL and didn't notice a difference after the change, but I wasn't expecting to feel a difference.
Old 01-20-2011, 12:36 PM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My 2 cents

Higher flow = less filtration of smaller particles. Why not just remove the filter completely...

As far as plugs go... A worn out spark plug generally doesn't create a weaker spark, it creates no spark or an inconsistent spark. In which case there would be misfires.
Old 01-20-2011, 01:02 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by koolposter
Higher flow = less filtration of smaller particles. Why not just remove the filter completely...

As far as plugs go... A worn out spark plug generally doesn't create a weaker spark, it creates no spark or an inconsistent spark. In which case there would be misfires.
X2

That pretty much sums up my experience.

That's why I had a better cold idle (less misfires in the first 10 seconds) but no power gain from changing the plugs.
Old 01-24-2011, 07:20 PM

I did my spark plugs last Saturay along with cleaning my K&N filter and changing oil. Love doing maintenance...For those contemplating the plugs...even though they CAN go to 105...it says depending on driving condition. Got a good deal at advance auto and paid 38 for the plugs...changeout took me about an hour...mainly because I did this WITHOUT taking out the front sway bar (upper) and just maneuvered around everything and took a LOT of time to make sure I didn't drop anything (other than the 1st coil pack I took out) and made sure not to strip threads going back in, made sure to put some anti-seize, made sure to use the little rubber holder to hold the spark plug but not get stuck on it when I pulled out the socket, made sure not to overtighten. Spent about 45 minutes on the back three plugs and 15 on the front.

maybe it's placebo but the response on the throttle feels better. I confirmed this by a comment my fiance made yesterday on our way to Publix...had to push it a bit to get around this guy to turn. She immediately said "Babe...did somethinig you do yesterday make the car faster??" I said f*** yeah...

Mind you, this is coming from someone that is super annoyed with my car obsession and would NOT compliment me unless she really thought it.

Last edited by rockstar143; 01-24-2011 at 07:22 PM.
Old 01-24-2011, 09:45 PM
B A N N E D

Originally Posted by rockstar143
I did my spark plugs last Saturay along with cleaning my K&N filter and changing oil. Love doing maintenance...For those contemplating the plugs...even though they CAN go to 105...it says depending on driving condition. Got a good deal at advance auto and paid 38 for the plugs...changeout took me about an hour...mainly because I did this WITHOUT taking out the front sway bar (upper) and just maneuvered around everything and took a LOT of time to make sure I didn't drop anything (other than the 1st coil pack I took out) and made sure not to strip threads going back in, made sure to put some anti-seize, made sure to use the little rubber holder to hold the spark plug but not get stuck on it when I pulled out the socket, made sure not to overtighten. Spent about 45 minutes on the back three plugs and 15 on the front.

maybe it's placebo but the response on the throttle feels better. I confirmed this by a comment my fiance made yesterday on our way to Publix...had to push it a bit to get around this guy to turn. She immediately said "Babe...did somethinig you do yesterday make the car faster??" I said f*** yeah...

Mind you, this is coming from someone that is super annoyed with my car obsession and would NOT compliment me unless she really thought it.
front strut brace FYI, but anyhow, a little bit of a pain still being there, but still probably quicker to just work around it though, then to actually move it out of the way

my wife actually likes to mod here car some now (and she really only started after i meet here though) (and now she actually has a quick car [WRX]. actually likes to know she has the extra power there when needed (she thinks the impreza is slow, when we had it as a loaner [and like a year ago, that is actually all she really wanted )

Last edited by friesm2000; 01-24-2011 at 09:47 PM.
Old 01-25-2011, 09:42 AM

That's awesome, similar for me...when I met her, she thought all this was a waste but now she haas she has springs and fog lights and hids.its awesome.

Tower brace, thank you...and yeah I'm 6 feet tall and the engine was comfortable to rest on...initially just looked back there then figured I could knock it out
Old 01-25-2011, 09:12 PM
B A N N E D

only got the car a couple of months ago, so not much is done to it yet, but i have put in some suspension bushings , some chassis bracig so far, but working on more eventually though

right now can't do a whole lot of engine work though , still under warrenty, and can't do anything to void it (it's already had a new motor put in it , then just recently a clutch too...)
also she lets us take it to the test and tune nights during the summers too, to race it