Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Extended Warranty & Non-Acura Dealer Service

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2008, 07:09 PM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Extended Warranty & Non-Acura Dealer Service

I tried seraching but couldn't find any info.
I need the get the Service B done on my TL.
Instead of going to Acura Dealer to get it done, I was thinking of going to my family mechanic to get it serviced.

Will this void out the Extended Warranty I have?

TIA
Old 06-03-2008, 10:57 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,182 Likes on 1,210 Posts

Just keep receipts of whatever you do.
Old 06-03-2008, 11:01 PM
A-spec steering wheel ftw

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
why would you buy the extended warranty? the service manager told me straight up that it really wasnt worth it for the price we pay. (he said it out of consideration of me being a student)
Old 06-03-2008, 11:08 PM
Team Owner

Received 1,137 Likes on 1,067 Posts
when the trans craps out and they want 4 grand- that 1500 was well worth it
or the ecu or other electronics, door window motors, lock motors, digital guages fuel injection problems and whatever go out- again- money well spent

as long as you keep receipts for oil and filter -write mileage on receipt) and anything else you used- have the guy sign the book for record keeping and record the service on your acura.com account
you can do everything yourself
It has no relation to warranty claims as long as it was done
Old 06-03-2008, 11:43 PM
A-spec steering wheel ftw

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
hmm good call, i should go buy the extended warranty
Old 06-05-2008, 05:43 PM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks for the info.

Regardless of who services my car, as long as they do what is recommended by ACURA, I should keep my receipt, have them sign the booklet and update on Acura.com. Right?
Old 06-05-2008, 07:05 PM
Drifting

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts
Originally Posted by SHRXTC
Thanks for the info.

Regardless of who services my car, as long as they do what is recommended by ACURA, I should keep my receipt, have them sign the booklet and update on Acura.com. Right?
Yes. If you look at the warranty booklet, it even says that you don't have to have Acura perform the services. Keeping the receipts is overkill, and won't prove anything.

Just keep the maintenance book up to date.
Old 06-05-2008, 08:22 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,015 Likes on 1,434 Posts
Originally Posted by SHRXTC
Thanks for the info.

ok, heres a tip, look at what services they offer in their packages and price them out individually to see if it cheaper, the B service is a perfect example, its an oil change and tire rotation with a bunch of pointless inspections.

B service - 200 dollars
oil change and tire rotation - 50 dollars

See....l
Old 06-06-2008, 02:04 PM
King of NYC

Received 216 Likes on 153 Posts
Extended warranty my ass. As is with the factory warranty EVERY single time I go to the dealer they ALWAYS try to get out of trying to repair the vehicle under warranty. They look for some way to blame me. They either try to say it is wear and tear or worse, try to say it is damage/neglect/abuse. And when you get a 2nd opinion there's a totally new theory and you go back and they change the story on you.

Never trust anyone to back you up on warranties or insurance. These companies love to market themselves with gimmicks to give you a false sense of security. They actually PAY most of their employees to get themselves OUT of their obligations to you. You gotta know how this works to know how to make it work for you.
Old 06-06-2008, 03:55 PM
Drifting

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts
Originally Posted by rockyfeller
Extended warranty my ass. As is with the factory warranty EVERY single time I go to the dealer they ALWAYS try to get out of trying to repair the vehicle under warranty. They look for some way to blame me. They either try to say it is wear and tear or worse, try to say it is damage/neglect/abuse. And when you get a 2nd opinion there's a totally new theory and you go back and they change the story on you.
That's why you gotta know what you are doing, and know your rights and obligations. For example another poster said the dealer tried to void the warranty on his bushings of all things, blaming the AEM intake he had, saying the bushings cannot take the extra hp afforded by the intake.... So I posted a link to pages in the Acura Parts book, that shows the part numbers for the bushings are the same on Type-S and non-Type-S, proving the dealer was full of it when they claimed the Type-S had unique bushings to handle the hp.

Likewise, my dealer tried to void the warranty on the tranny of my 2G TL, saying that I neglected to properly maintain the tranny. So I brought the service manual, the owners manual, and the warranty booklet, and showed that their definition of neglect was not Acura's definition of neglect, and that my definition of proper/required maintenance was correct and the same as Acura's.

In both these cases, warranties were re-instated.... To someone that didn't know what their rights were, etc, may not have had the same results....

Similarly I helped my dad out when he got in a wreck a while back. Insurance company tried to cheap out and use aftermarket parts. I successfully argued with the insurance company that aftermarket parts are not equivalents, because the car was still under warranty, and that the manufacturer will only warranty OEM parts, so that by using non OEM parts, was not restoring the car to pre-loss condition. They agreed, and used the better (ie more expensive parts), and everything went smoothly.