Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Experiment - Used Regular Gas for 2 Months - No Problem

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2005, 11:08 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by PG2G
How on earth do you manage 26 miles per gallon in SF?

I live in SF and work in San Mateo...took 280 every day....80% Freeways and I go to work at 10:00am and go Home @ 6pm taking 280 then cut through Highway 35 by Serramonte...no Traffic and always freeway.
Old 11-12-2005, 01:10 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by Norse396
Why anybody would dump low grade gas into an engine that has such high compression makes no sense to me. The computer does its best to compensate when people dump crap into the tank, but that doesn't mean it can't hurt it long term.
I agree with this. The specified octane requirements for this vehicle were set by the mechanical engineers at acura who designed and tested the engine, not by a bunch of bench racers on an internet forum. It is foolish to try to second guess them.

Those of you who have "tested" your car with 87 octane fuel have probably done so only over a very narrow range of conditions, and you had no way of monitoring what was going on inside the engine other than you didn't hear any knocking. The engineers at acura have specified a type of fuel that will work optimally in your engine over the entire range of conditions you should ever experience.

Example: The car may run fine on 87 on a cool day, on a moderate speed run into work. The ECU may be running up against the knock sensors and moderately retarding the timing, and you will never know. If you were to try to run the car on 87 octane in 120 degree conditions up a steep mountain incline with a fully loaded car, you would probably encounter cylinder conditions that cannot be compensated for by the ECU. Engines have been wrecked in very short periods of time by severe detonation. Things like cracked cylinder heads and pistons with holes in them are not unheard of.

In the end, it is your car, and you can feed it whatever you like, but don't be fooled into thinking that because you got away with it a few times, low octane gas is just fine for your engine.
Old 11-12-2005, 01:10 PM
Advanced

Received 18 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by mickey3c
lol 250,000 miles... no way... even on premium and not without a ton of repair bills.
My brother has a Legend with 270K+ miles on it. He did a major engine tuneup at 120k and he has done only minor ones since. He spends more on warped rotors than on the engine. He has been using premium and synthetic since he got the car at 35k.
Old 11-12-2005, 01:42 PM
Intermediate

Hope that you guys know you are not getting what you pay for half of the time. Here in TX they have a government agency that goes the gas stations to check the calibration of the pumps and the octane of the gas being pumpd out of them. Results were astounding. Most pumps are not properly calibrated putting out the wrong amount of fuel ie. you pump 15 gal. and the pump says 17. Also they check the octane rating. The news said something like 3 out of five stations run 87 all around. Gas station owners trying to save a buck!
Old 11-12-2005, 02:03 PM
~HondaF1~

Received 108 Likes on 87 Posts
Originally Posted by Neorick
Experiment - Used Regular Gas for 2 Months - No Problem
Bullshit!

U loose power & get worse gas mileage, premature wear, it pings, etc...

Anyway, bullshit & close this thread.

My IQ has been lowered by reading this dumbass thread.
Old 11-12-2005, 02:53 PM
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Exclamation I don't believe it at all...

I have to agree with R J Poseidon 6.

Let's face facts, the higher the octane of the gasoline, the LESS volitile the fuel. The lower the octane (RON) the more volitile the fuel. So a lower octane fuel ignites faster than a higher octane gasoline.

High octane fuels are required for supercharged, turbocharged or high compression ratio engines basically wherever cylinder pressure is very high. Since high octane fuels resist the combustion they are used to prevent knock or ping.

If your engine requires 87 octane fuel and you are using 94 octane, you are simply wasting your money. I think there is enough good information out there on this subject. If your engine requires 91 octane and you are using 87 octane then most likely the engine is pinging or knocking under loads. If your engine has a knock sensor(s) then the ping is being heard by the PCM and spark timing is being pulled.

1 degree of spark timing on a supercharged engine is worth approx 4-5 HP and 8-10 lb.-ft of torque. Figure half of that for an N/A engine breathing on it's own. So let's say the Acura TL's PCM pulls 8-10 degrees of spark when it detects knock (this I do not know for fact, just an example). That's substantial if you figure 1 degree of spark is 2 HP or so and it's pulling 8-10 degrees when knock is present.

Now what determines power output of any gasoline engine is how efficiently is burns fuel. Air is a limiting factor in power output. The more air that goes into an engine, the more fuel that must be injected. So if you take away the spark advance the engine makes less power and is less efficient. So what have you gained?

I'D LIKE TO SEE A REAL CHASSIS DYNO CHART FROM A TL USING 87 OCTANE FUEL AND THE SAME TL RUNNING 91 OCTANE FUEL. Until this happens, you are all talking out of you ass. You have NO proof that the TL runs the same with 87 octane as it did with 91 octane or higher. I'd like to see the dyno charts and the 1/4 mile time slips.

I've been on many dynos with my '95 4.6L supercharged T-Bird. I've seen many different cars on dynos and believe me the SOTP meter is almost ALWAYS wrong.

Prove it!

A-Train
Old 11-12-2005, 03:49 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by R J Poseidon 6
Bullshit!

So if this thread lowered your IQ why did you bother writing a comment...DUMBASS!!!!
Old 11-12-2005, 03:54 PM
Three Wheelin'

Get it..it my experiment ..OK

Originally Posted by Atrain

I'D LIKE TO SEE A REAL CHASSIS DYNO CHART FROM A TL USING 87 OCTANE FUEL AND THE SAME TL RUNNING 91 OCTANE FUEL. Until this happens, you are all talking out of you ass. You have NO proof that the TL runs the same with 87 octane as it did with 91 octane or higher. I'd like to see the dyno charts and the 1/4 mile time slips.

I've been on many dynos with my '95 4.6L supercharged T-Bird. I've seen many different cars on dynos and believe me the SOTP meter is almost ALWAYS wrong.

Prove it!

A-Train
Thanks for the feedback. Tell you what..you do the experiment and you prove it to us...

My experiment is not based on being a chemical engineer or a race car mechanic...I simply did the test on my own to see if it has any effect....If you want to further prove me wrong the by all means do your own test...How about you doing one for the masses...
Old 11-12-2005, 05:39 PM
18,000mi. 29000km

Dont be so offended. I said I can FEEL difference between 87 and 91. However I did NOT notice any pinging or crap happening. I DO notice lower MPG and less range.

Now, driving in Calgary in winter. Can I use 270HP and extra range when I'm standing still in traffic idling? No I can't. So I am using 87 or 89 at most over the winter.
Old 11-12-2005, 06:05 PM
Dragging knees in

Received 32 Likes on 21 Posts
Originally Posted by Atrain

Let's face facts, the higher the octane of the gasoline, the LESS volitile the fuel. The lower the octane (RON) the more volitile the fuel. So a lower octane fuel ignites faster than a higher octane gasoline.

High octane fuels are required for supercharged, turbocharged or high compression ratio engines basically wherever cylinder pressure is very high. Since high octane fuels resist the combustion they are used to prevent knock or ping.

If your engine requires 87 octane fuel and you are using 94 octane, you are simply wasting your money. I think there is enough good information out there on this subject. If your engine requires 91 octane and you are using 87 octane then most likely the engine is pinging or knocking under loads. If your engine has a knock sensor(s) then the ping is being heard by the PCM and spark timing is being pulled.

1 degree of spark timing on a supercharged engine is worth approx 4-5 HP and 8-10 lb.-ft of torque. Figure half of that for an N/A engine breathing on it's own. So let's say the Acura TL's PCM pulls 8-10 degrees of spark when it detects knock (this I do not know for fact, just an example). That's substantial if you figure 1 degree of spark is 2 HP or so and it's pulling 8-10 degrees when knock is present.

Now what determines power output of any gasoline engine is how efficiently is burns fuel. Air is a limiting factor in power output. The more air that goes into an engine, the more fuel that must be injected. So if you take away the spark advance the engine makes less power and is less efficient. So what have you gained?

Prove it!

A-Train
Absolutely right.

But Neorick was doing an experiment of his own; one that didn't require too much technicality. His experiment was mainly based on changes in fuel efficiency and power (measured by the butt-dyno). That's why I also suggested that putting the car on a dyno is the only way to see if it had lost power on 87 octane.

The bottom line is that Neorick actually did the experiment (perhaps not as far and technical as some of us would like) and proved that the fuel efficiency hasn't changed much at all. Props to him for that.

So I say stop criticizing him (I had my own questions regarding his experiment, too) and someone else step up if they want to try it and put it on the dyno. I'm not volunteering because my engine is tuned to run at a specific range of AFR based on 93 octane and I'm not risking my engine, or am I going to untune the car.

Old 11-13-2005, 11:50 AM
Instructor

Try diesel fluid next time (don't!!!).
I do not understand people experimenting this way. Getting high performance car and trying to save on gas? Why don't you sell your TL and buy Chevy? You might have couple thousands in you pocket and use regular gasoline without any risk...
Old 11-13-2005, 01:30 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Pure Adrenaline
Absolutely right.

But Neorick was doing an experiment of his own; one that didn't require too much technicality. His experiment was mainly based on changes in fuel efficiency and power (measured by the butt-dyno). That's why I also suggested that putting the car on a dyno is the only way to see if it had lost power on 87 octane.

The bottom line is that Neorick actually did the experiment (perhaps not as far and technical as some of us would like) and proved that the fuel efficiency hasn't changed much at all. Props to him for that.

So I say stop criticizing him (I had my own questions regarding his experiment, too) and someone else step up if they want to try it and put it on the dyno. I'm not volunteering because my engine is tuned to run at a specific range of AFR based on 93 octane and I'm not risking my engine, or am I going to untune the car.

I agree and thank you.....I was actually second guessing myself if I should post the result of my experiment knowing it will be shot down by thugs and the "know it all" members of this site like the Mr High IQ smartass R J Poseidon 6 .

The purpose of this thread is to provide everyone the feedback of my experiment. Nothing more, nothing less. Some of us have the guts to try and experiment then post finding/results here so we can share the information. Always remeber...NOT ALL Experiment turns out good, for every ten failure one is successfull

I did not post this to be flamed by people who beleive their way is the only way. Last time I checked that concept failed in Communist Country like "USSR".

If we can all just be more open to other people trying out what others are afraid of doing then this thread would be more successfull in generating more experiment which would eventually help us all in maintaining our cars.

In the words of Rodney King "Can we all just get along"

Originally Posted by crm_codder
I do not understand people experimenting this way. Getting high performance car and trying to save on gas? Why don't you sell your TL and buy Chevy? You might have couple thousands in you pocket and use regular gasoline without any risk...

Same goes to you...Read well ok..I am not experimenting to save gas..DUMBASS!!!
Old 11-13-2005, 01:41 PM
Three Wheelin'

This is what I said on my first post " Ok....after the two month experiment, I am back to using Premium 91 Octane Chevron w/ Techron. JUST MY PREFERENCE

I've proven to myself that there really is no problem using regular gas"

Geeze... man before you make comments understand what my reason for the experiment. so go and understand what you are reading before making comments.
Old 11-13-2005, 01:42 PM
18,000mi. 29000km

Chevy silverado SS requires premium. or so recommended.

There is no point putting 91 if I'm sitting in traffic half of time idling over the winter.
Old 11-13-2005, 01:47 PM
Three Wheelin'

Oh and one more thing..I consider the TL as a Luxury performance and not High performance. To me High performance cars are Porsche, Ferrari, Lamborgini etc.

Now I ask you...If you do not understand why people experiment then maybe you should stop using your cellphones,computers, and all your gadgets(now I am getting cynical). Last time I checked the gadgets you have were all derived from an experiment with a quest to better our lives. Just a note.....
Old 11-13-2005, 04:00 PM
Instructor

Oh and one more thing..I consider the TL as a Luxury performance and not High performance. To me High performance cars are Porsche, Ferrari, Lamborgini etc.

Now I ask you...If you do not understand why people experiment then maybe you should stop using your cellphones,computers, and all your gadgets(now I am getting cynical). Last time I checked the gadgets you have were all derived from an experiment with a quest to better our lives. Just a note.....

Insurance company does. TL is under high performance....
Cell phone analogy is wrong; I would say you should not use battery from Nokia into Motorola. Then it is OK.
There is no reason to jeopardize engine with low grade octane gasoline. I am sure you will save nothing on this.
Old 11-13-2005, 04:01 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by Actuary
Chevy silverado SS requires premium. or so recommended.

There is no point putting 91 if I'm sitting in traffic half of time idling over the winter.
Chevy Impala doesn't. So get one instead and no needs to play with Acura ....
Old 11-13-2005, 04:15 PM
Three Wheelin'

There is no reason to jeopardize engine with low grade octane gasoline. I am sure you will save nothing on this.

Ok..again, I was not doing this to save gas and I am aware of the challenge of using regular octane....I wanted to see for myself what would happen...thats it!!!

Don't you get it??? It was an experiment...geeze man!!! Give it up...
Old 11-13-2005, 04:20 PM
Three Wheelin'

Insurance company does. TL is under high performance....
Cell phone analogy is wrong; I would say you should not use battery from Nokia into Motorola. Then it is OK.
Oh my...you really are not getting it...I was telling you that it is ok to experiment.

Ok so to explain the cellphone concept to you....Ahhh never mind...
Old 11-13-2005, 04:55 PM
18,000mi. 29000km

Chevy Impala doesn't. So get one instead and no needs to play with Acura ....
Let me be a b!tch because *someone* here seems to be stereotyped.

What I do with my money is my choice. My choice is not yours. You can live here and see how winter driving is like. Some stations doesn't even carry 91 octane over the winter. If you read Canadian manual, it says 91 RECOMMENDED. Same as chevy silverado SS - recommended. Obviously if I lived in Texas where it does not snow then I would of gotten High Performance Tire and put Premium everyday.
Old 11-13-2005, 06:40 PM
Instructor

What I do with my money is my choice. My choice is not yours. You can live here and see how winter driving is like. Some stations doesn't even carry 91 octane over the winter. If you read Canadian manual, it says 91 RECOMMENDED. Same as chevy silverado SS - recommended. Obviously if I lived in Texas where it does not snow then I would of gotten High Performance Tire and put Premium everyday.

Obviously I am still didn’t get how cold Canadian weather related to the engine detonation and octane number which is normally showing resistance of gasoline against of detonation. Possibly Canadian TL has different settings. But then again really why do you need TL? Get hybrid Toyota and you safe ...
Old 11-13-2005, 06:41 PM
Three Wheelin'

Wow, I did not even realize that....good to know. So why do you think Acura would require 91 Octane in the US and only recomended in Canada....hhhmmmm that is really interesting. Thanks Actuary....
Old 11-13-2005, 06:43 PM
Three Wheelin'

Obviously I am still didn’t get how cold Canadian weather related to the engine detonation and octane number which is normally showing resistance of gasoline against of detonation. Possibly Canadian TL has different settings. But then again really why do you need TL? Get hybrid Toyota and you safe ...

Ok so tell me something.why do you keep recomending other car than the TL.
Old 11-13-2005, 07:05 PM
WDP Director of R & D

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Stop the insanity....

Another "good intention" thread dragged into the abyss by a few.

Before long we won't even need "Moderators". They'll just configure the site to automatically lock threads when they hit two or three pages.
-- By that time near all turn into keyboard urinary Olympics.
Old 11-13-2005, 08:54 PM
~HondaF1~

Received 108 Likes on 87 Posts
Lightbulb

So if this thread lowered your IQ why did you bother writing a comment...DUMBASS!!!!
U like callin' people dumbass huh....

See ya @ the next meet Mr High IQ
Old 11-13-2005, 09:01 PM
Racer

are you really 40?

anyway, thanks for the experiment....intersting stuff, Neorick
Old 11-14-2005, 12:18 AM
Three Wheelin'

[B]
Im shaking ... Hey..you came to this thread...I did not invite you...so if you dont like it the Get out..!!!

So you are threatening me? What the fuck is the matter with you...?

You put stupid comments on this thread and then you dare to Threaten me?

What the hell...why wait for another meet... let's settle this now...Mr High IQ.

[/B]
Old 11-14-2005, 12:26 AM
Three Wheelin'

Bullshit!

HHmmmm...lets see you called this thread dumbass? Then you are mad cuz I returned it back to you...wow I thought you said that you have high IQ?

Then you threaten me????
Old 11-14-2005, 12:52 AM
05 C230K & 09 135i 6MT

Guys PLEASE. Regular fuel WILL NOT HARM the Acura TL. The computer will compensate for it. I'm so sick of this discussion where people act like the TL requires special treatment when it's an Accord in a tux. They tell you to put premium in it, but regular will not hurt it.
Old 11-14-2005, 01:30 AM
Dragging knees in

Received 32 Likes on 21 Posts
This thread has crossed the line so far, you can't even see the damn line.

It went from testing regular fuel to personal threats.... wow, just wow.
Old 11-14-2005, 07:12 AM
Administrator

Received 1,002 Likes on 572 Posts
I think everything that needed to be said has been said, and a few things that were not needed to be said have been said, so this thread has run its course.

It was an experiment, like it says in the title, so it didn't need all the extraneous comments, and should have been accepted for what it is, which is (drumroll) an experiment.