Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is an exhaust change forgivable?

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2015, 12:22 PM
Advanced

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Is an exhaust change forgivable?

Hi, I'm new to this forum and i can already imagine the feedback I'm going to get from asking this question but I'm going to ask it anyway because i haven't been able to look under the car yet. Im going to be picking up a 2005 Acura tl 6 speed next week and one of the first mods I'm going to want to do is exhaust. Ive been looking online and i think i like the xlr8 the best. But my question is how much work is required in changing it? Is there any welding or trimming involved? The reason I ask is because my Dad had a 2014 mustang gt and he got new exhaust and it was super easy to install, literally just some nuts and bolts and we were done. But after trying it out for a week he ended up actually not liking the exhaust though. He hated it, but because the install was so easy he was able to put stock exhaust back on and shop for something else. All the reviews are positive about the xlr8, but id feel more comfortable if i knew at worst i could just go back to stock.
Old 10-22-2015, 12:59 PM
Race Director

Received 2,316 Likes on 1,690 Posts
sup

all the exhaust systems available for the TL are bolt on.
they all connect with flanges and nuts and bolts, so you can easily go back to stock like your dad

mainly the only time welding is involved is if you get a shop to custom make you a catback, with magnaflows. they won't bother putting flanges and stuff, just because they don't need to ship it, so it's one whole catback in one piece.
The following users liked this post:
lukelikespizza3 (10-22-2015)
Old 10-22-2015, 01:03 PM
Racer

Received 109 Likes on 90 Posts
The only issue you may run into is rusted bolts which could need being torched off. I installed my catback a couple months ago and we had to torch a couple of the bolts off. Once off though and with new hardware, it is easily interchangeable.
Old 10-22-2015, 01:06 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by ryanfett
The only issue you may run into is rusted bolts which could need being torched off. I installed my catback a couple months ago and we had to torch a couple of the bolts off. Once off though and with new hardware, it is easily interchangeable.
I'm hoping i won't have that problem since I'm in California and this car has been garaged and well taken care of. But did see some other threads with people talking about that. Ill just have to wait and see
Old 10-22-2015, 04:59 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 350 Likes on 287 Posts
Originally Posted by guitarplayer16
all the exhaust systems available for the TL are bolt on.
they all connect with flanges and nuts and bolts, so you can easily go back to stock like your dad
Our XLR8 exhaust is usually just a simple bolt on system that doesn't require any custom fabrication or welding. Getting the old bolts off can be a pain but you can usually either cut the old bolts out or heat them up with a torch!

With our exhaust system, you'll easily be able to switch back to stock.
Old 10-24-2015, 08:38 PM
10th Gear

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by lukelikespizza3
I'm hoping i won't have that problem since I'm in California and this car has been garaged and well taken care of. But did see some other threads with people talking about that. Ill just have to wait and see
I installed my ATLP Exhaust a few weeks ago and I had to have the mechanic neighbor help remove the bolts. If you removed and stripped the bolts from the cat, you may need 3 new bolts.

Other than that, installing it is cake with one other person. Some pb blaster here and there, everything will slip right on and off.

If you don't mind me asking, where in cali are you?
Old 10-25-2015, 02:49 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by Sparks415
I installed my ATLP Exhaust a few weeks ago and I had to have the mechanic neighbor help remove the bolts. If you removed and stripped the bolts from the cat, you may need 3 new bolts.

Other than that, installing it is cake with one other person. Some pb blaster here and there, everything will slip right on and off.

If you don't mind me asking, where in cali are you?
Im in SoCal, San Bernardino County. Why?
Old 10-25-2015, 02:14 PM
10th Gear

Im in SoCal, San Bernardino County. Why?
Just out of curiosity, I don't hear many aftermarket exhausts on TLs in the Bay Area.
Old 10-25-2015, 02:27 PM
Advanced

Just out of curiosity, I don't hear many aftermarket exhausts on TLs in the Bay Area.
haha honestly idk I've seen/heard one in person. I go to school in Santa Barbara and theres a good amount here but none of them have exhaust. Although one is an A-spec.
Old 10-25-2015, 03:53 PM
Race Director

Received 2,316 Likes on 1,690 Posts
you guys are around the same age, could be new good friends
Old 10-25-2015, 10:40 PM
10th Gear

haha honestly idk I've seen/heard one in person. I go to school in Santa Barbara and theres a good amount here but none of them have exhaust. Although one is an A-spec.
I've only heard one in person, but most of the 3gs I see around here are stock. You should make a video when you get your exhaust!

Originally Posted by guitarplayer16
you guys are around the same age, could be new good friends
Unfortunately he's around 300 miles away, I wouldn't mind meeting someone from acurazine if they were closer.

Last edited by Sparks415; 10-25-2015 at 10:44 PM.
Old 10-26-2015, 01:43 AM
Advanced

I've only heard one in person, but most of the 3gs I see around here are stock. You should make a video when you get your exhaust!

ill def post a video when i get it.

Unfortunately he's around 300 miles away, I wouldn't mind meeting someone from acurazine if they were closer.
yeah Bay area is a long drive lol
Old 10-27-2015, 02:05 PM
Cruisin'

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Dang, I was gonna ask where you're located so I could snag your stock exhaust. I think shipping is gonna be a losing proposition to CO :o
Old 10-28-2015, 11:24 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 509 Likes on 323 Posts
Hi, I'm new to this forum and i can already imagine the feedback I'm going to get from asking this question but I'm going to ask it anyway because i haven't been able to look under the car yet. Im going to be picking up a 2005 Acura tl 6 speed next week and one of the first mods I'm going to want to do is exhaust. Ive been looking online and i think i like the xlr8 the best. But my question is how much work is required in changing it? Is there any welding or trimming involved? The reason I ask is because my Dad had a 2014 mustang gt and he got new exhaust and it was super easy to install, literally just some nuts and bolts and we were done. But after trying it out for a week he ended up actually not liking the exhaust though. He hated it, but because the install was so easy he was able to put stock exhaust back on and shop for something else. All the reviews are positive about the xlr8, but id feel more comfortable if i knew at worst i could just go back to stock.
Yeah all the cat-backs for this car are bolt-on affairs. The XLR8 is a pretty decent system. We've got a lot of happy customers with them, and other systems as well.

Our number one goal is to make sure people are getting parts they are happy with. The only thing better than an easy change back to stock is to be 100% pleased with your mods. Give me a ring if you need any consultation to make sure you get the right part the first time!

Marcus
949-295-1668