Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ever wish for RWD or AWD TL?

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2005, 02:35 AM
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ever wish for RWD or AWD TL?

I was just wondering if you guys ever wished the New TL's were RWD or AWD. I am ready to buy a TL soon in the next month or so. I own a RSX and NSX. I love the feel of RWD and their capabilities. I'm planning on this for an everyday driver with some spirited driving. Just wondering if i should wait until the 2006 to come out and hope they would change to RWD or AWD. Anyone hear any rumors yet?

-Garrett
Old 03-11-2005, 06:43 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Im sure everybody wishes for a TL with the same SH-AWD that the RL has. Rumors always exist - My guess is the TL won't have SH-AWD until they do a complete redesign.
Old 03-11-2005, 06:55 AM
[]( O)( O)% []D[][]V[][]D

idk bout the AWD- TL, becouse if u think about it, y would they create competition for the RL at 15 grand less???, if it does happen expect the TL to hit the 40K range, if a TL was AWD, the RL sales will drop dramatically, thats the only advantage it has on the TL.
Old 03-11-2005, 06:56 AM
Interesting. Interesting.

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
I'd like AWD, but when I drive my wife's AWD Audi A4 3.0, I really don't notice that much of a difference in everyday driving.
Old 03-11-2005, 06:56 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
As I am sure you know they would have a bit of a redesign to change the engine mounts, etc to make it a rear wheeler... That as well as they would depart from the global platform manufacturing they have with the accord model. Or, they would make the accord a rear wheeler as well. I do not expect that to happen. And as i said before that the AWD system would most likely make the car a tad slower...

That said, the price for this thing since they will not have the same economies of scale would be higher as well..
Old 03-11-2005, 07:05 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by 04AcuraTL
idk bout the AWD- TL, becouse if u think about it, y would they create competition for the RL at 15 grand less???, if it does happen expect the TL to hit the 40K range, if a TL was AWD, the RL sales will drop dramatically, thats the only advantage it has on the TL.

The RL has materials in it which are significantly higher quality than our TL. Yes, the TL will enter the high 30's low 40's price range, but the RL will still sell - maybe not at as high numbers, but they will make it up with higher sales in the TL. I would be willing to buy a SH-AWD TL in the low 40's. We know the xmnavtraffic will trickle down to the TL and so will the intelligent key design.
Old 03-11-2005, 07:17 AM
[]( O)( O)% []D[][]V[][]D

Originally Posted by vikrampatel
The RL has materials in it which are significantly higher quality than our TL. Yes, the TL will enter the high 30's low 40's price range, but the RL will still sell - maybe not at as high numbers, but they will make it up with higher sales in the TL. I would be willing to buy a SH-AWD TL in the low 40's. We know the xmnavtraffic will trickle down to the TL and so will the intelligent key design.
i agree with you, but if it's gona nock me up into the 40's range u might as well kick it up a bit n jus go all out with a benz or bimmer, dont get me wrong i love my acura, just not for 40^g's. the name benz and bimmer sound a lil more atractive as opposed to Acura, people think benz an bimmers are awesome expensive luxury cars, they see acura as a entry luxury car. u know, like i said before i loved my TL at 33k becouse it was a lot of bang for the buck, but if it's gona go up that much it aint gona be quit the "bang for the buck" everyone says it is.
Old 03-11-2005, 07:53 AM
It's never enough!

I want RWD. I almost went with the G35 just because of that, but the TL is still is a better overall value, and still a fun to drive car. RWD won't be a reality for the TL until the next redesign I'm sure.

AWD would be great, but it would cannibalize the RL to a degree that Acura won't go for. If they dropped a V8 in the RL to further separate the two models, it might make room for an AWD TL.

I suspect in the next design series, Acura will unleash an LS/S-Class/7 Series competitor with a V8 rather than drop a V8 into the RL.

.....or maybe that's just wishful thinking.
Old 03-11-2005, 08:19 AM
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question

Originally Posted by 04AcuraTL
i agree with you, but if it's gona nock me up into the 40's range u might as well kick it up a bit n jus go all out with a benz or bimmer, dont get me wrong i love my acura, just not for 40^g's. the name benz and bimmer sound a lil more atractive as opposed to Acura, people think benz an bimmers are awesome expensive luxury cars, they see acura as a entry luxury car. u know, like i said before i loved my TL at 33k becouse it was a lot of bang for the buck, but if it's gona go up that much it aint gona be quit the "bang for the buck" everyone says it is.

Are you worried about the image or the product? An enthusiast concentrates on the automobile and not the symbol that it is wearing . You sound like those folks that say's Lexus is nothing more than an over priced Toyota. The same with Honda/Acura, and Nissan/Infiniti. Like I said before as long as the luxury side of the company delivers the quality and performance at the level it promises. That's all that matter.

Note: I said you sound like one of those people. Are you one of those peoplle?
Old 03-11-2005, 08:23 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 66 Likes on 28 Posts
Check this out: https://acurazine.com/forums/showthread.php?t=111174
Old 03-11-2005, 09:17 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by Xpditor
That's interesting. Maybe it's me or my not used to FWD, but everytime I gun it out of a corner because there's so much power going to the front tires it feels like I'm going to loose control. It's like a struggle w/the steering wheel to get it to go in the direction I want it to. Is this VSA kickin in or something?
Old 03-11-2005, 10:01 AM
Three Wheelin'

lol VSA... if you are struggling too much you are not being throttled back from vsa..

here is a link...

http://www.corollaperformance.com/TechInfo/RWD.html
Old 03-11-2005, 10:05 AM
05 TL NBP Navi

Originally Posted by TLNJ
That's interesting. Maybe it's me or my not used to FWD, but everytime I gun it out of a corner because there's so much power going to the front tires it feels like I'm going to loose control. It's like a struggle w/the steering wheel to get it to go in the direction I want it to. Is this VSA kickin in or something?
Hit the corner with the VSA off. Of course work you way up in power until you know the limits of adhesion. Then you'll know if its the VSA or not. I wouldn't think it is, it's probably just additional feedback from engine and tires under stress.

FWD isn't bad, its different. You will feel more from the front wheels since more is happening there.

I wouldn't buy the AWD, I don't want the extra weight. I'd rather bump the engine up to 3.5 suffer the consequences of the addn'l power. Nothing wrong w/spinning tires.
Old 03-11-2005, 10:12 AM
Three Wheelin'

another thing when you go into a skid FWD is more intuative since you steer in the direction of where you want the car to go.. in RWD with over steer you steer in the opposite direction or when taking a left turn you turn the wheels right to get out of/control the skid... More fun for those who know what they are doing...
Old 03-11-2005, 10:12 AM
Burning Brakes

be happy with your car as is.
Old 03-11-2005, 10:28 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by mickey3c
lol VSA... if you are struggling too much you are not being throttled back from vsa..

here is a link...

http://www.corollaperformance.com/TechInfo/RWD.html
Good stuff here, I guess what I'm suffering from is "Torque Steering"...that and just some inexperience w/FWD. It was somewhat unnerving as the TL is the first FWD car I've driven and when I hit that corner and pounded the gas I felt like I was all over the place. I thought I was going to go off the road. I guess it'll just take some getting used to thats all.
Old 03-11-2005, 10:29 AM
Once more into the breach

Originally Posted by TheMainEvEnt
be happy with your car as is.

No doubt MainEvent, Try driving a Chevy Malibu for a week....I cant wait to get my car back, you dont know what youve got till its gone. Im going to wine alot less now, you lose perspective and were all spoiled.
Old 03-12-2005, 07:43 AM
Red line...use it

Do not want the AWD...the added weight would slow it down too much. Look at the RL...300HP, but slower than a TL. RWD would be nice. I recently went on a road course with a RWD BMW 530i, merc. 320 and new Cadallic STI. I really pushed the RWD around the course and loved it. The oversteer is much more fun than the understeer of a FWD. They say that the TL is at the limit of HP/FWD. The torque steer can wake you up some days.

RWD yes...but do not count on it in a TL.