Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

engine sound at idle

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2005, 06:30 AM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
engine sound at idle

Just curious . . . when your hood is up and your engine is at idle, do you hear a low ticking engine noise. Sounds similar to a sowing machine that is operating? Just wana make sure my engine sounds like everyone elses....Thanks
Old 04-16-2005, 08:17 AM
Dr. Feelgood

Originally Posted by Obey
Just curious . . . when your hood is up and your engine is at idle, do you hear a low ticking engine noise. Sounds similar to a sowing machine that is operating? Just wana make sure my engine sounds like everyone elses....Thanks
Obey,
I have a thread with this question as well. Do you hear this noise when you are inside your car and everyting (eg.stereo, climate control) are turned off?
Old 04-16-2005, 09:23 AM
Intermediate

NOPE ITS WHEN I POP MY HOOD, ITS MORE LIKE A PURR SOUND from the engine........I THINK IM HYPER SENSITVE RIGHT NOW B/C ITS A NEW CAR AND IM JUST GETTING USE TO ALL THE NEW SOUNDS ETC... AFTER YOU READ other posts, it makes you listen more carefully to things. Its probably standard, but I just want to make sure

Thanks for your time everyone ....
Old 04-16-2005, 09:36 AM
Vroooooom....Vrooooooom!!

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
I have this noise also...it is only present after the engine is warmed up and at idle. The sowing machine analogy is actually quite accurate as this is pretty much what it sounds like. I can hear it inside the car as well. I want to ask the dealer about it during the first oil change...haven't gotten there yet though...still only at 4500 miles.

Who else has this noise? It's hard to pinpoint exactly where on the engine it is coming from...sounds like it could possibly be near the belts? I dunno....
Old 04-16-2005, 09:58 AM
Intermediate

PIANO - - - - it could just be a standard noise from the engine - - im glad to hear that yours sounds the same - - perhaps its not a problem and a characteristic of our cars. Like I said, you tend to look for problems after you read posts on this board.

So if your engine, purrs or sounds like a in motion sewing machine, perhaps we are one in the same and A ok

Thanks

KYLE
Old 04-16-2005, 10:40 AM
Dr. Feelgood

Originally Posted by ThePianoMan
I have this noise also...it is only present after the engine is warmed up and at idle. The sowing machine analogy is actually quite accurate as this is pretty much what it sounds like. I can hear it inside the car as well. I want to ask the dealer about it during the first oil change...haven't gotten there yet though...still only at 4500 miles.

Who else has this noise? It's hard to pinpoint exactly where on the engine it is coming from...sounds like it could possibly be near the belts? I dunno....
So, this sound is pretty normal huh? I have the same one. I also only have 5K on my car. The sound is more noticable when you're seated on the driver's side. It seems to be coming from the back of the engine facing the windshield
Old 04-16-2005, 10:45 AM
Pro

I have it too, pretty sure we all do. I believe it to be valve-noise. I have about 10,000 miles now and I think thats just the way our engines sound, but ask the dealer about a valve adjustment; if it eliminates the noise, let me know.
Old 04-16-2005, 11:13 AM
Intermediate

Again , thank you to everyone responding..I think I need to simmer down and enjoy my car and stop worrying about all the little noises. AGAIN IF ANYONE IS READING THIS, THE NOISE IS SIMILAR TO A PURRING CAT OR A RUNNING SEWING MACHINE.. PLEASE WEIGH IN WITH WHAT SOUNDS YOU HEAR WHEN YOUR HOOD IS UP! Thanks
Old 04-16-2005, 11:59 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My personal recomendation would be, that if you have any suspician about an engine problem, even if we think we know what it is, is to get it checked out. Problems can not be perfectly diagnosed on this forum, and generally, the worse a problem gets, the harder it is to fix. So when you get your oil changed make sure to mention it, or even sooner.
Old 04-16-2005, 10:39 PM
10th Gear

The sound you are describing is normal there are three hondas in my family (one of them a TL) and they all have that sound, its characteristic of honda engines
Old 04-16-2005, 11:24 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 86 Likes on 30 Posts
Are they the same thing?? https://acurazine.com/forums/moderators-only-20/do-we-need-computer-help-section-ramblings-113612/
Originally Posted by 05TLTony
I hope this is not a repost, but I've recently noticed a small ticking sound from the engine. It's the sound that those big trucks makewhen you park next to them, you know - tick, tick, tick ,tick. I was wondering if this is normal. My TL only has 5K on her. Thanks
Old 04-16-2005, 11:36 PM
Masshole

I noticed a very similar "sewing machine" from the engine of my TSX. Let me see if I can take some audio tomorrow to verify if it's the same noise. It was only noticeable with the hood open and after the engine was warm and idling.

My "wild ass guess" is that it is the high rocker arm which activates the vtec. Since it isn't engaged, it kind of taps on the cam lobe, and since there is no pressure, the tick is it actually "springing" back once the cam has rotated past. Again...just a guess so don't take it as any more than that. If you watch this flash animation, you'll see why I'm making this guess.

If you can't view the video, here is a screen capture. Notice on the left how the middle rocker isn't engaged:

Old 04-17-2005, 12:25 AM
Certified A-Hole!

Originally Posted by massk87
The sound you are describing is normal there are three hondas in my family (one of them a TL) and they all have that sound, its characteristic of honda engines

I agree. My '99 Accord has that little ticking sound also. It is just ur internals working I guess.
Old 04-17-2005, 11:40 AM
Intermediate

COOL - WELL WE have all come to the conclusion its normal.. I checked out my buddies car yesterday and its exactly the same as mine - - -

I need to stop reading into these noise posts and enjoy my damn car!

Thanks everyone!
Old 04-18-2005, 11:47 AM
Certified A-Hole!

I understand though man, brand new car... lots of money spent, I would have that damn thing under a microscope for a long time!
Old 04-18-2005, 12:34 PM
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Fuel Injectors?

The "sewing machine" description is common with Hondas. A service tech / buddy once told me it comes from Honda fuel injectors.
Old 04-18-2005, 12:39 PM
Safety Car

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
There is another noise that sounds like a sewing machine (when the car is on, of course, and in park) that comes from the fuel pump in the left rear wheel well. My Type S had it, and my '04 has it as well. It's perfectly normal. Take a listen the next time you're about to drive off somewhere.
Old 04-19-2005, 05:24 AM
Acurazine Addict

Originally Posted by PeterUbers
There is another noise that sounds like a sewing machine (when the car is on, of course, and in park) that comes from the fuel pump in the left rear wheel well. My Type S had it, and my '04 has it as well. It's perfectly normal. Take a listen the next time you're about to drive off somewhere.
I always wondered what that sound was. Thanks for clearing this up.
Old 04-19-2005, 05:09 PM
Dr. Feelgood

I hate to ask more questions regarding the ticking noise, but would redlining it cause the engine to tick louder than it would otherwise? I only asked because I think maybe the techs may have reved it a few times during service possiblely? I mean maybe not on purpose, but it happens.
Old 04-20-2005, 12:33 AM
Certified A-Hole!

Redlining won't make it louder unless you are talking about it being louder WHILE redlining. Otherwise, no.
Old 04-20-2005, 08:18 AM
WDP Director of R & D

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by 05TLTony
I hate to ask more questions regarding the ticking noise, but would redlining it cause the engine to tick louder than it would otherwise? I only asked because I think maybe the techs may have reved it a few times during service possiblely? I mean maybe not on purpose, but it happens.
Why would they have needed to remotely rev the engine close to redline? Are you implying they may have been screwing around etc. and did this?

Just curious
Old 04-21-2005, 12:21 PM
Certified A-Hole!

Originally Posted by KJSmitty
Why would they have needed to remotely rev the engine close to redline? Are you implying they may have been screwing around etc. and did this?

Just curious
Wouldn't matter even if he did. There is a reason why it has a rev limiter. The car can handle more, but limit it for safety sake. If you can't redline your car a few times and not have it screw up, then the engine sucks and is not reliable. IMO
Old 04-21-2005, 01:56 PM
Dr. Feelgood

Originally Posted by Spheno_3SXZERO
Wouldn't matter even if he did. There is a reason why it has a rev limiter. The car can handle more, but limit it for safety sake. If you can't redline your car a few times and not have it screw up, then the engine sucks and is not reliable. IMO
Thanks. You've answered my question. Just a little paranoid
Old 04-22-2005, 11:47 AM
Certified A-Hole!

Understandable. I will be to when I get mine!
Old 04-22-2005, 06:57 PM
WDP Director of R & D

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Spheno_3SXZERO
My question didn't involve whether or not it would "hurt" the engine.
Rather, if I remotely think my service department/a tech is abusing/doing something to my car that is unnecessary, I would be looking for a different service dept etc..
Old 04-23-2005, 10:47 AM
Certified A-Hole!

Originally Posted by KJSmitty
My question didn't involve whether or not it would "hurt" the engine.
Rather, if I remotely think my service department/a tech is abusing/doing something to my car that is unnecessary, I would be looking for a different service dept etc..

Sorry Man, I misread your post. I thought you were saying the owner was screwing around, not the service dept. I agree with ya on that. I would prolly kick the service guys ass to for reving my car!