Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Emergency LED Lights and Siren for TL

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2007, 10:52 PM
Team Nighthawk

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Emergency LED Lights and Siren for TL

Hi guys, its been a while since I posted..but needed to come back for some trusty information from fellow TL owners.

As I run a security company that responds to alarms and working with the office of emergency managment has prompted me to purchase some LED dash and deck lights and also a PA/Air Horn (Siren will not be used as its only for police/emergency vehicles) for my POV (privatley owned vehicle). Either way I need to mount the horn/siren piece somewhere.

I spent an hour looking around the car to try and figure out where to mount this siren which is a TS100-N by federal signal.

http://www.fedsig.com/products/index.php?id=125

So if anyone can point me the right direction I would greatly appreciate it.

As for lights, I will be installing one dual LED dash/window light, two dual led deck lights and maybe to grill lights, but there is limited space there. Of course they will be legal Amber/Clear combo.

Thanks for your help!
Old 04-09-2007, 12:59 PM
Safety Car

Received 39 Likes on 15 Posts
I'm not sure about the mounting location for your PA/Air Horn, but couldn't you mount that in the hood of the car. A mounting location just like car alarm sirens?

As for LEDs, I'm not sure if this is the same thing, but a few members that are volunteer firefighters have done mods:

I'm moving this thread out to the main 3G for some added exposure. Also, there are some recent exterior LED discussions so maybe one of those members may help you out.
Old 04-09-2007, 05:52 PM
THE PLANE TAKES OFF!!!!!

I know that the volunteer fire department guys all use green, which is very effective in getting people to pull over...

Can you use green?
Old 04-10-2007, 07:48 AM
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Converted
I know that the volunteer fire department guys all use green, which is very effective in getting people to pull over...

Can you use green?
I really dont wanna go off on a tangent here but I guess I have too.

First, what do you really need either of them for? Lights.. ok..maybe... but a pa/siren box?...

second: airhorn/pa box ONLY. Much more kosher to the powers that be...
http://www.swps.com/100watparadr.html

Clear is not legal when facing forward. Clear is also not legal for use during "nighttime" hours due to its blinding effects on drivers regardless of direction.

Not that I think you should but the speak will fit fine behind the lower grills..
Old 04-10-2007, 01:50 PM
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
post some pics when everything is done...
Old 04-10-2007, 03:56 PM
Safety Car

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
how bout the siren underneath the car? somewhere where it won't get banged up? iono...
Old 04-11-2007, 08:57 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by erick3
how bout the siren underneath the car? somewhere where it won't get banged up? iono...
its a moot point since he wont be clearing traffic with it but...
sound direction. you point the thing down its gona bounce off the roadway and right back up into the bottom of the car. then the whole doppler effect is gona put the sound way to far behind the car to be effective in any sense..
forward facing or bust.
Old 04-13-2007, 01:13 AM
Team Nighthawk

Originally Posted by deke
I really dont wanna go off on a tangent here but I guess I have too.

First, what do you really need either of them for? Lights.. ok..maybe... but a pa/siren box?...

second: airhorn/pa box ONLY. Much more kosher to the powers that be...
http://www.swps.com/100watparadr.html

Clear is not legal when facing forward. Clear is also not legal for use during "nighttime" hours due to its blinding effects on drivers regardless of direction.

Not that I think you should but the speak will fit fine behind the lower grills..
Thanks for the response. To answer some of the questions. The PA/Air horn is not really necessary as you stated. It would not be used for my Security Company as there is really no need for it. I am a volunteer for the Office of Emergency Managment, trained weather spotter, ARES member, CERT, etc. During county emergencies (weather alerts, terrorism, natural disaster, etc) it would be utilized to alert surrounding people in a given area as directed by County OEM officials. I.e. outdoor public gathering areas such as little league events. If threating weather exists and order is given, I would make the proper announcement. Some parks do not have automatic lighting detectors or PA systems. This idea was given to me by the volunteer director. We'll see about this one.

As for the lights, your right on the Amber/Clear combo. Before posting this thread I called the local police for verification and they weren't sure about the color combo and said it should be ok since it did not represent police, fire, & ambulance light colors. I just downloaded the 3800 page ILLINOIS law book and it did mention light colors for security companies and contractors. It permits yellow or amber but a amber/clear is authorized for state vehicles, county officials, and Contractors.

This really sucks as that I already received the Amber/Clear LED's. I shot a video of a temporary install in my TL with all the lights for fun. I won't be using this much light. The remaining lights will be used for my other vehicles. I am only placing one dual dash light and a rear dual light. I will post a youtube link soon of the video. I guess I can buy some amber Gels or something to put over the white light. By the way deke what state do you reside in? Thanks again.
Old 04-13-2007, 07:26 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by Phillyboi
Thanks for the response. To answer some of the questions. The PA/Air horn is not really necessary as you stated. It would not be used for my Security Company as there is really no need for it. I am a volunteer for the Office of Emergency Managment, trained weather spotter, ARES member, CERT, etc. During county emergencies (weather alerts, terrorism, natural disaster, etc) it would be utilized to alert surrounding people in a given area as directed by County OEM officials. I.e. outdoor public gathering areas such as little league events. If threating weather exists and order is given, I would make the proper announcement. Some parks do not have automatic lighting detectors or PA systems. This idea was given to me by the volunteer director. We'll see about this one.
To be utterly honest instead of a car mounted unit why not purchase a handheld one. They do the same job and frankly an "undercover" TL would not get me to do anything. A guy standing on a bench or something with a bullhorn and offical looking jacket..perhaps.

As for the lights, your right on the Amber/Clear combo. Before posting this thread I called the local police for verification and they weren't sure about the color combo and said it should be ok since it did not represent police, fire, & ambulance light colors. I just downloaded the 3800 page ILLINOIS law book and it did mention light colors for security companies and contractors. It permits yellow or amber but a amber/clear is authorized for state vehicles, county officials, and Contractors.
In my EVOC courses its been explained that at the federal level forward facing alernating white lights are illegal for use at nighttime hours. The blinding effects are to great for the eye and you end up with a moth to the light syndrome.

This really sucks as that I already received the Amber/Clear LED's. I shot a video of a temporary install in my TL with all the lights for fun. I won't be using this much light. The remaining lights will be used for my other vehicles. I am only placing one dual dash light and a rear dual light. I will post a youtube link soon of the video. I guess I can buy some amber Gels or something to put over the white light. By the way deke what state do you reside in? Thanks again.
Depending on what units you got this is an option however using the gel will make that light appear less bright.
I'm in the armpit of america. Lovely NJ