3G TL (2004-2008)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Are EL-42's really that BAD?

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2004, 12:31 AM
9th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Was going to buy a new TL but went with a certified '03 GS 430 last week (Hey, at least I didn't get a G35!). Only 13K on the odometer. When they certified it they replaced the tires and I didn't think much about it. To my horror it has EL42s. (OEM were Potenza 030) BUT, no problems I can tell. They are 235-45-17s. Smooth with an OK ride. Not my first choice but OK. Anyway, has anyone else had the EL42s on another make or in a different profile. Maybe just the wrong tire for the suspension set up on the TL. I love the TL. The date stamp on my sidewall shows production 1-03. I think all seasons in general suck but are a necessary evil in some parts of the country.
Old 04-15-2004, 08:59 AM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 86 Likes on 30 Posts
Red face

Originally Posted by Ron A
Originally Posted by TBone2004
So which is best:
-Let dealer order me the improved EL's?
-Push for Michelins - pilot sport A/A?
-Push for Pirelli Pzero Nero M&S?
- Push for Yokohama?
- Falkens?

Help! :banghead:
If you can get any of the other tires from your dealer, don't order the "improved" EL's.

Acura won't do this, so it is strictly up to the dealer. All are good choices. The Falkens are very good and also the cheapest, the others go up in price dramatically. See what you can get out of your dealer, even if you have to pay the difference.

If he won't budge, then you have no choice but to get the EL's.

Are you having the flatspotting problem? If not, don't do anything, but if you are, do your best from the choices above.

But you already said your dealer is making you takes the EL's, so why the question?

Well said. I won't be able to negotiate the better tires, and may have to accept this so-called new EL42s' delivery... Let's see what's going to happen. Hope my risk would pay off.

:think:
Old 04-15-2004, 09:30 AM
Cesspool of Knowledge

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I haven't had any problems with my "old formula" EL-42s. I think they're pretty good tires.
Old 04-15-2004, 10:07 AM
Instructor

Trying to negotiate for Michelins or a different tire will be on a dealer-by-dealer basis. Some will be more willing to go out of thir way to keep the customer happy, while most will follow by Acura's directives. I, unfortunately, was not able to get Pohanka to put Michelins on the car. They did check with the regional/district manager, but as expected, could not honor this owner's request. They also did not replace my seat memory module on the first visit because they were unable to reproduce the seat memory loss while the car was in their possession for 2 days.

I will be going back when the "new tires" and seat memory module are in. It's gonna be a 50/50 crapshoot, but my bet is that the "new tires" will also flatspot. :smackhead

For people who have the redesigned EL42s and still have flatspotting, have you taken this annoying issue up with your dealer and what have they proposed to finally fix the situation?
Old 04-15-2004, 10:13 AM
Racer

i picked up my TL last week, so far no vibrations at any speeds at any time (I've been as high as 80-90 MPH).
Old 04-15-2004, 10:15 AM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 86 Likes on 30 Posts
So, my plan is to get the "new" EL42s, try them, and trade in for better treads if tires are worse...
Old 04-15-2004, 10:16 AM
Team Anthracite Member

That is such crap that they did not replace the memory module - they should be able to tell by a serial# or component date etc. if that is a bad one or not. Well, if it helps any, my seat memory has been great since the fix - so at least that will be one prob out of the way. I gotta say, despite the flatspotting, the tire is not awful. I still think it stinks and I have never had that happen beofre on a car - but I've driven on worse. In yesterdays flooding rain in NJ I had some pretty good grip on the road - no probs.
Still putting Michies on my Xmas list tho. :toothless

Originally Posted by timnguyen9
Trying to negotiate for Michelins or a different tire will be on a dealer-by-dealer basis. Some will be more willing to go out of thir way to keep the customer happy, while most will follow by Acura's directives. I, unfortunately, was not able to get Pohanka to put Michelins on the car. They did check with the regional/district manager, but as expected, could not honor this owner's request. They also did not replace my seat memory module on the first visit because they were unable to reproduce the seat memory loss while the car was in their possession for 2 days.

I will be going back when the "new tires" and seat memory module are in. It's gonna be a 50/50 crapshoot, but my bet is that the "new tires" will also flatspot. :smackhead

For people who have the redesigned EL42s and still have flatspotting, have you taken this annoying issue up with your dealer and what have they proposed to finally fix the situation?
Old 04-15-2004, 10:49 AM
Instructor

tbone

Yeah....I was expecting them to replace the seat memory since I noted it to them to check and there is a bulletin out on it, but to my surprise all I got after 2 days at the dealer was a free oil change. On top of that, my free loaner on the first day was a Mazda 6. Let me just say that it is definitely no Acura. It was loud and really got old after one day of driving it, so they gave me a TSX. The TSX felt better, but felt underpowered and not as smooth as the TL. Bottom line, I felt it was a waste of time and expected better service from Pohanka Acura.