Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

E3 Spark Plugs

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2010, 08:59 AM
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
E3 Spark Plugs

Has anyone tried these "E3" spark plugs in their TL? They've gotten pretty reviews on "Gearz" and "Horsepower TV". They tested them on Horsepower and they reduced emissions by nearly 30% and actually slightly increased horsepower (somewhere in the neighborhood of 8hp...but that was on a high performance LS1 small block they built).

I'm wondering if anyone has tried these in their TL....here's the link

http://www.e3sparkplugs.com/catalog.htm
Old 02-13-2010, 11:36 AM
Team Owner

Received 1,137 Likes on 1,067 Posts
the TL already has high energy coil on plug ignition - so you are not losing juice the way plug wires do
a minimal gain at best for us- we already have ultra low emission vehicles~
Stick with NGK Iridium for best results
Old 02-13-2010, 11:50 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by 01tl4tl
the TL already has high energy coil on plug ignition - so you are not losing juice the way plug wires do
a minimal gain at best for us- we already have ultra low emission vehicles~
Stick with NGK Iridium for best results
With all due respect, you did not at all answer my question. The question was, if anyone has tried these in their TL. I guess the answer is "no".

I have no problem being the guinea pig....it's worth a shot if nothing else...
The following users liked this post:
Chad05TL (03-14-2018)
Old 02-13-2010, 01:34 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by spinxt
With all due respect, you did not at all answer my question. The question was, if anyone has tried these in their TL. I guess the answer is "no".

Give it a try. Tell us what you think. Never tried E3 but my buddy put pulstars in his car, and it was garbage. His car was misfiring. After he put regular inexpensive stuff, his car was running fine. But yeah Go ahead try em out.
Old 02-13-2010, 02:05 PM
Chapter Leader (Houston)

Received 1,085 Likes on 810 Posts
Had them in my prelude and it they were great. Haven't tried them on the TL
Old 02-13-2010, 02:49 PM
Team Owner

Received 1,812 Likes on 1,283 Posts
I see you're probably going to do what you want so I'm only going to say this one time.

Do you realize how much a manufacturer would pay to reduce emissions 5% much less 30%? If they could get some sort of gain by a simple cheap plug they would do it.

Multiple ignition points are beneficial but look at how they're going about it. Lasers are now being used with hundreds of small individual lasers to provide ignition points all over the combustion chamber. In real world testing by an actual manufacturer this gives a very, very slight increase in power but a big decrease in emissions. Notice they don't do the multi-electrode gimmick because they know it doesn't work. Instead they spend 10X the price on something that does work.

Horsepower TV gets paid to promote these items, it's money, nothing else.

You can not jump more than one electrode at once. Having more than one electrode shrouds the spark and reduces performance and increases emissions. Just a plain jane plug with whatever coating (copper, platinum, iridium) required to make it last is the best plug.

You don't have to try these plugs in the TL specifically to know they're junk. It's like saying putting diesel in an LS1 may kill it but I want to try it in a J32 just in case.

Keep in mind these things are not even platinums, much less iridiums that the car came with. You will be changing them every 30,000 miles or so.
Old 02-13-2010, 04:15 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,014 Likes on 1,433 Posts
Has anyone tried these "E3" spark plugs in their TL? They've gotten pretty reviews on "Gearz" and "Horsepower TV". They tested them on Horsepower and they reduced emissions by nearly 30% and actually slightly increased horsepower (somewhere in the neighborhood of 8hp...but that was on a high performance LS1 small block they built).

I'm wondering if anyone has tried these in their TL....here's the link

http://www.e3sparkplugs.com/catalog.htm
One member tried out these type of plugs a year ago and they didn't do anything to improve performance on the TL. He paid nearly 30 dollars each for them!

Your best bet is just to get the NGK Iridium plugs that the car came with, they last 80K easily, and can be taken to 105K on the set according to honda. If you want to try, go ahead but there won't be any benefit.

As I hate cars said, these TV shows are paid to advertise products. What is funny is that Dynos have slight errors when measuring. With the same car on the same day, the dyno could differ nearly 20 HP depending on the other factors that the motor had such as cooling, tire condition, etc.
Old 02-13-2010, 04:50 PM
Instructor

Alright, alright, you guys talked me out of it....however, who was the guy that paid $30 a piece for these? They are $5 a piece everywhere I looked....
Old 02-13-2010, 06:58 PM
Team Owner

a few ziners have tried the E3 with 1 mpg gain at 70k miles- which you will also get with new NGKs at the same mileage- try search feature~

Another guy in a Gen3 TL near Sacramento ca tried the 25$ each vspark-something? very cool ads plus the built in capacitor--all the rage on tv commercials and gave a spark plug wires and single coil system a 5-8hp gain on the dyno with built motor, which means about 1 hp at the wheels of your car
I will try those special plugs on my 1986 motorcycle- with coil and plug wires,2 plugs per cyl, as it may benefit measurably on the road and they have 30 day moneyback if not

We already have a great system of ignition with occassional coil failure- often after plug change and coil was mishandled

car makers are only going to do the minimum required by the govt for mileage/emissions- which they do now and in a few years it has to go up a few mpg- but testing method changed so they get you with bad info, car makers meet minimums without spending an extra dime
they have the technology- just not willing to share it
Old 02-13-2010, 07:09 PM
Middle Finger anyone?

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
I had a thread about this. I have them in the car now. The car still runs. That's about as objective as I can be. As a plus I felt that the car responded well to them. However one of the plugs I replaced was crushed so I'm sure any new plug would be noticeable. I think I Hate Cars explained then that the E3 plugs are made of silver plated copper? I think that's right. Therefore their working life is significantly shorter than the iridium plugs. So with that in mind, when I replace my E3's I'll put the iridiums back in.
Old 02-13-2010, 07:20 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by NCTL05
I had a thread about this. I have them in the car now. The car still runs. That's about as objective as I can be. As a plus I felt that the car responded well to them. However one of the plugs I replaced was crushed so I'm sure any new plug would be noticeable. I think I Hate Cars explained then that the E3 plugs are made of silver plated copper? I think that's right. Therefore their working life is significantly shorter than the iridium plugs. So with that in mind, when I replace my E3's I'll put the iridiums back in.
And there's nothing wrong with changing the plugs more often, I actually prefer it. It just takes away from the convenience factor.

I'm one of the few that run platinums just because they're cheaper and I replace them at 40,000 so no need for iridiums for me.
Old 02-13-2010, 07:24 PM
Team Owner

a few ziners have tried the E3 with 1 mpg gain at 70k miles- which you will also get with new NGKs at the same mileage- try search feature~

Another guy in a Gen3 TL near Sacramento ca tried the 25$ each vspark-something? very cool ads plus the built in capacitor--all the rage on tv commercials and gave a spark plug wires and single coil system a 5-8hp gain on the dyno with built motor, which means about 1 hp at the wheels of your car
I will try those special plugs on my 1986 motorcycle- with coil and plug wires,2 plugs per cyl, as it may benefit measurably on the road and they have 30 day moneyback if not

We already have a great system of ignition with occassional coil failure- often after plug change and coil was mishandled

car makers are only going to do the minimum required by the govt for mileage/emissions- which they do now and in a few years it has to go up a few mpg- but testing method changed so they get you with bad info, car makers meet minimums without spending an extra dime
they have the technology- just not willing to share it
When it comes to mpg and emissions they spend tons of money just to get a small gain. Look at what our `1200 cell catalytic convertors cost. Imagine if they could save half that cost with 300 cell convertors and these plugs.

Look at how CAFE has pushed so hard for that extra .2-.5mpg change that they run 5w and now 0w-20 oils. A compromise on engine life under hard useage for a very small mpg gain.

For has that very expensive laser ignition system about to go into production to replace the plugs altogether just for emissions.
Old 03-13-2010, 11:03 AM
Instructor

Received 16 Likes on 1 Post
i hate cars is right on the money. if manufacturers could get gains like that out of the box, it would all be OEM equipment.

the same thing goes for things like the tornado, small electric superchargers, fuel line magnets, etc. if ANY of that stuff worked at all, it would ALL be OEM. period.
Old 03-13-2010, 12:04 PM
Team Owner

HAHAHAHA!

car makers have engines that make great mileage and low emissions sitting on the shelf- for when in another 5-10 years the govt mandates stricter levels

The oil companies and govt are in bed, car makers are happy to play along and do the minimum required of them- same car running overseas will get better mileage!

Think acura pays much for those convertors hahahahahaha- just expensive at parts dept level to replace if it fails after 80kmiles (govt mandated warranty)
plus having a super low emission vehicle is a good thing

fuel line magnets are really for gas that sits for months in a tank- molecules bind and need a jolt to seperate- if you refill once a month or more you are ok-
I have a magnet on the TL- seems to get .3-.5mpg better with it,

tornando- the theory of it is real- worked great on my '80 350 chevy motor with 4 barrel carb-
on the TL -acura has made VTEC- which changes the cam timing profile and delays opening the 2nd intake valve so it creates--a Tornado!! swirling and mixing fuel just before ignition for max combustion

a tornado device doesnt add power on vtec or vortec engine since they already have inner tornado

car makers are not looking out for you- they look out for themselves (see Toyota internal memo on not recalling cars because they dont have a fix! and how many millions of $ it will save if they can delay recalls or limit them etc)

there are several things you can do to improve mileage- from tire pressure to air filter
They are building cars for the least amount of money-
that doesnt = best possible part to use

note on pulsestar plugs- you have to disconnect battery before installing so it reads the new parts and adjust for them- an ecu reset- without that it will run bad on them, as found by princekaleo a few years ago

the E3 are good for certain applications- powersports- motorcycles-jetskis etc
For the TL stay with the one thing acura did right stock- NGK Iridium,
last longer than denso and cost less too
Old 05-31-2010, 01:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
HAHAHAHA!

car makers have engines that make great mileage and low emissions sitting on the shelf- for when in another 5-10 years the govt mandates stricter levels

The oil companies and govt are in bed, car makers are happy to play along and do the minimum required of them- same car running overseas will get better mileage!
thank you...thats all i can say. people are ignorant to the fact that money makes the world go round. its all marketing
Old 06-01-2010, 06:14 PM
Chapter Leader (Southern Region)

Received 11,843 Likes on 8,574 Posts

You interested in some swamp land??.. possibly rich in oil.
Old 06-01-2010, 07:34 PM
Team Owner

thats Luxurious Swamp Land ~--guaranteed oil rich marsh land available,, with ocean view!!! and no pesky wildlife to interrupt your afternoon snooze
- See Jed Clampett Realty, anywhere south/east of texas

Best wishes to our ziners in the affected areas