Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

dry flow vs paper air filters.

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2008, 03:47 PM
Unofficial Goat

Received 112 Likes on 89 Posts
dry flow vs paper air filters.

I've been considering buying an AEM intake for the TL and have started to do research on paper filtration vs. dry flow or other wise. The results have been rather surprising regarding the amount of dirt that gets passed after market filters. Here are some links I suggest you read before you post up your thoughts.

I'm curious as to how this first test has acheived it's result because AEM claims that the filter is good up too 1 micron filtering and during SAE fine dust testing it scores like 99% efficiency while these guys managed to get a significant amount of course dust though it. This does not stand up to logic.

The truth about Air filters. Test performed on 7.3L diesel @628 (pdf link)
http://www.thetruthaboutfilters.com/...andAFE_Dry.pdf

Effects of small dust on engines
http://www.noria.com/learning_center...inationControl

bob is the oil guy real life test
http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/airfilter/airtest3.htm

Independent testing on many different filters
http://duramax-diesel.com/spicer/index.htm

I'm starting to reach the conclusion that aftermarket filters do not really do much filtering compared to stock, which I think is very important because there increased potential for wear on internals could cause power losses in the long term. I know most people here have some form of aftermarket filter set up and am wondering if they have considered this?
Old 05-11-2008, 04:07 PM
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Interesting read.

D
Old 05-11-2008, 06:12 PM
Drifting

Received 43 Likes on 39 Posts
Interesting, But considering that all filters from any otc store are considered "aftermarket" does it seem that the car manufacturers are somewhat persuading these "tests". Just food for thought.
Old 05-11-2008, 10:52 PM
Unofficial Goat

Received 112 Likes on 89 Posts
I'm not really concentrating on otc as aftermarket, when I say after market I more or less mean K&N, AEM, Injen style drop in or cone filters.
Old 05-12-2008, 01:06 PM
Registered VTEC junkie

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Interesting read. Most people get an aftermarket intake system for the performance aspect. If you're worried about dirt getting into your engine then maybe this choice is not for you. S&B has some good testing results. I have an AEM CAI. I swapped out the old filter that required oiling with a DRYFLOW filter. I was tired of oiling the filter. I'm confident that the Dryflow filters as well if not better than a stock filter. The Dryflow is made up of some "polyester synthetic filter media" that will last longer than cotton or paper filter. In regards to aftermarket intake systems, I'd rather not mess with spending money to replace a stock filter every time it's needed. For me, I only have to but a DRYFLOW filter once and spend less money buying a cleaning kit than on a stock filter. These are my preferences and should not be an influence on anyone's decision about intakes, but I'd take my CAI over stock anyday. After reading some of the tests that you posted, I still wouldn't go back to stock. I'm very satisfied with my aftermarket intake.