3G TL (2004-2008)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Drunk Driver hit my TL-S

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2012, 12:44 PM
3G TL/2G MDX Owner

Received 978 Likes on 803 Posts
horsepower- your premium shouldn't go up. it was NOT your fault (obviously). so don't worry about that.

let the shop know what your expectations are. and then go over the car with a fine toothed comb when you go pick it up. i'm really anal...and OCD...the shop and the dealer know this, so they take care of me and my car.

good luck with the repairs!
Old 02-22-2012, 02:19 PM
10th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Too bad. She was a beauty. Hopefully you won't have any issues later. Good luck!
Old 02-23-2012, 08:52 AM
1st 3g Turbo TL-S

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by horspowr1001
I was hoping for my first post here to be a positive one in the "New Wheel/Tire Pics" thread after I bought my 23k mi, flawless 07 NBP Type-S this past October, but unfortunately I now need to seek help from the community.

In the middle of the night after my birthday (*sad trombone*) an unlicensed, uninsured, drunk driver slammed into my car while she was parked. The impact was at the left QP, and forced the left rear wheel forward and turned it in towards the center of the car as if I had rear wheel steering. It also pushed the car up over the sidewalk and onto the curb, where the front pass. door and sideview mirror scraped on a light pole. Three of four of my 1 month old Motegi MR121's with Michelin Alpin PA3 snow tires are likely trashed.

She's at a body shop right now and the damage is worse than I thought. The owner of the shop who seems to be a really nice, honest guy has been working on an estimate for me, and so far is at about $13k of damage. He said that there's evidence of buckling on the right side of the car at the C pillar and sunroof area, meaning the frame may be twisted. Lots of rear suspension bits will have to be replaced.

I feel like we're approaching the total loss line way too fast, and I'm really hoping State Farm won't declare it as such. They've been really good to us in the 2+ decades we've been with them.

I'm pretty depressed right now. This is just not right, a car so well taken care of throughout its life should not have to go like this. If they declare it a loss, should I fight them to repair it or replace it with another Type-S? Since it's so new, will they give me exactly what it's worth in this condition, what it was worth before, or what I paid for it? Should I even bother repairing if the frame is twisted at all?

Any other ideas and help are appreciated.

Most recent "before" pictures.

Current:

thats terrible. f drunkies.

btw what wheels are those?
Old 02-23-2012, 08:54 AM
1st 3g Turbo TL-S

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
o i see it now! lol, they look... looked good
Old 02-23-2012, 11:07 AM
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Thats shitty... you should definitely contact a lawyer and sue the driver... the value of your car has just drastically decreased and the person responsible should have to own up to everything.

In the event of a total loss the insurance company will declare the value of the car by "real time market value" in your area of the country by the condition it was in before the accident. They take into consideration after market parts/work done and you have the right to negotiate the value they offer. Most people do not know this, always decline their first offer and argue (the more stats/proof you can show the better) its value is worth more than their offer.

I recently totaled my IS350 and was financing the car through my bank, after the insurance process I had the car completely paid off and walked away with cash out of it. They were very fair.
Old 02-23-2012, 11:20 PM
10th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
That really sucks man, it kills me to see that. I do have to agree with most on here and say that the best option is to hope for a total here. Its probably better than trying to fix her and not have her drive the same and never be what she once was. And with the money you get from SF you could possibly buy a new TL. Obviously it won't be the same as driving your baby, but at least it will be close to the same experience
Old 02-24-2012, 09:43 AM
Rich

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Sorry to hear that men. I hated drunk driver. I see them all the time at the jail. If the frame twisted, you don't want the car back. Because once is twisted, never be the same anymore. Take the check and get another one. But if IT's not you can keep her, but make sure they repaint the whole car so it will match. By the way I work @ the jail, if people wondering why I see drunk driver all the time.
Old 02-24-2012, 03:05 PM
Proud owner of a...

Received 32 Likes on 24 Posts
Cars they come they go. Plus it's not your fault, so please don't feel bad. You should consider declaring the car totaled and buy another car.

There are so many nice cars out there anyway:
Old 02-24-2012, 04:29 PM
takin care of Business in

Received 4,732 Likes on 4,064 Posts
^^^ SICK !!! plain simple SICK !!!