3G TL (2004-2008)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Drove a 335. Mixed feelings but not ready to trade the TL in yet...

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2007, 12:32 AM
Team Owner

Received 1,812 Likes on 1,283 Posts
Drove a 335. Mixed feelings but not ready to trade the TL in yet...

I should start by saying I got the salesman to $120 over invoice which was 41,000 I believe. Not bad and the lease would be just over $500 a month. I'm paying $701 on the TL right now (not a lease)... Problem is with 55,000 miles on my 06, dealer trade in is only 18K so I would have to sell it to a private party. If I did trade the TL to the dealer, the Bimmer payments would be $720 a month.

So I drove the car (an auto) and I think I expected too much from all of the internet hype. I got into the car expecting to be blown away and buying it on the spot but that didn't happen by a long shot. I got the car void of a salesman so I had some fun with it.

The interior seemed cheaper than the TL. The leather was probably a higher quality but when you're sitting there driving the car, it actually feels cheaper. Definately more cramped, not at all what I expected. On the bright side, there were absolutely no rattles and less road noise, two of my biggest complaints with the TL.

The TL's steering feels more precise up to 8/10ths driving but when really pushed to the limit, the Bimmer's RWD didn't take away from the driving experience like the FWD TL. For what it's worth, my TL would most definately pull a higher skidpad number in steady state cornering against the Bimmer. In any other cornering condition the TL loses. I did have fun sitting at a redlight turning the steering right and left and watching the headlights move.

By far, my biggest disappointment was the power and turbo lag. I'm sure this is where I will get flamed but let me explain... I got caught up by the internet hype about the turbos having no lag and the gobs of power. In reality I forgot that this is only a mid 13 second car on a good day but was reminded the first time I hit the gas.

Punching it to the floor from a dead stop takes a second or two for the turbos to spool. It spools pretty fast but nothing like I had imagined. It's comprable to my large turbo GN and is slower to spool than a lot of the turbo cars I've driven with moderate sized turbos. With a little powerbraking, there is no lag from a stop. From a roll, it's impressive. There is no noticable turbo lag whatsoever and the torquiness and ease it pulls at low rpms feels more like a big block than a 6 cylinder. Again, spool is very good, just not what I expected from everything I've read.

Power was disappointing. The first time I floored it, me and my friend just looked at each other. I didn't know what to say. I was expecting more and so was he. Again, with all the hype, I forgot it's just a 13 second car that traps 105mph on a good day. It's a quick car, just like my friend's IS350 is quick (in fact, feels about the same) but I wouldn't feel too comfortable taking it to the races. First and second gears are mediocre. The shift to third surprised me. Acceleration in third felt almost the same as second gear but by the time the car was getting fun I was in the triple digits.

I'm not convinced that it's worth trading the TL in yet. The BMW is quick but no where nearly quick enough to sell me on that point alone. In the normal daily commute I have to say the TL suits my needs better. I just have to get it out of my head that I could lease a Bimmer for less than I'm paying for my TL.
Old 12-07-2007, 12:46 AM
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I think the 335 + procede is what you are expecting. Not stock... and especially not stock with your Grand National to compare it with.
Old 12-07-2007, 12:53 AM
Team Owner

Received 1,812 Likes on 1,283 Posts
Originally Posted by spiike
I think the 335 + procede is what you are expecting. Not stock... and especially not stock with your Grand National to compare it with.

Is that one of the aftermarket programs? That's one thing I left out, I really want to test one out that has the basic mods like intake, exhaust, and a program before I consider buying one. They seem to respond very well to little things. Just what I've always wanted, a turbo car under warranty lol.
Old 12-07-2007, 01:31 AM
Racer

that lil software change increases hp by 60. It's also one of the most popular mods for the 335.
Old 12-07-2007, 01:53 AM
TL-S izdashiznittt in

Honestly when buying a car. I like to look at the overall aspect of it. Im not sure what the Out the door price is for the 335I but i know what my friend paid which was clost to 50,000. When I look at what I want in a car I look at everything power, interior, exterior, quality etc. From what i understand it has the power but I must say the interior of that car is very very dissapointing. I dont see 50K when I look at the interior.....I see a top of the line Altima. Overall in my opinion the car looks nice and from what you said drives pretty good, but would you honestly pay 50K for a BMW coupe?(<---that part may be a little bit biased since I am 6"3). I have a 07 TL-S and in my opinion none of the cars in its class OVERALL can compete with it. That includes the G35,IS350,335I. If you do your reaserch the TL is the only car where you GET what you BUY. Think about it and it just might make SENSEEE!!

PS. Japans DK(drift king) took the TL-S, G35 and IS350 round the track at willow springs and the TL-S took em out by 2 seconnddss.
Old 12-07-2007, 02:17 AM
07TL-CBP

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Good write-up. Your first paragraph about $$$ ($700/mo payments or $500+/mo lease) is so out of my league. However, I am sure this is no issue for you.

Frankly, judging by your first impression of the 335, I will say, wait for the 09 TLs and decide then. Something tells me that Honda will be locking horns with BMW and Infiniti and pulling out the stops to retain and increase their market share.
Old 12-07-2007, 03:46 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 84 Likes on 79 Posts
wow ... u already have 55k on ur 06?? ... i would say if its just a DD keep the TL it will probably outlast a BMW
Old 12-07-2007, 03:51 AM
Safety Car

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
^ +1 BMW's have SO many issues...I was considering trading my TL in a few months ago; went in to see BMW of Seattle...the rep insisted that the newer BMW's were flawless...................................you should have seen their service lot...3 series GALORE...plus a few M's...6 series....5 series...7 series....a few Z's...BMW's entire line up. That and their service departments SUCK.
Old 12-07-2007, 06:26 AM
Racer

Received 26 Likes on 16 Posts
I guess "I hate cars" I'm a little jealous. I got my first car when I was 25. It was a 68 buick reviera for 500 bucks. . If your 30 and you can afford a 40k+ car, god bless you. Back in the mid nineties I was talking to this guy on the train that said he bought a new legend. A 40K car at the time. The guy was only in his EARLY TWENTIES!!! I guess there's ways to get away with it. Like living at home etc. I wish you guys would tell me where the cash cow is (esp. in these times) I'd like to milk her a little bit also.
Old 12-07-2007, 07:08 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,182 Likes on 1,210 Posts
This really belongs in Car Talk. Since we can't move threads there, feel free to restart the discussion there. Thanks.