Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

DRL L.E.D. Mod

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2007, 12:51 AM
Safety Car

Received 39 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by sandiegodrive
Ok I thought they looked good, but decided to do a lil more modding and I like the look I came out with.

I took away half the length and left only the outside intact.
I was hoping to check out your other config soon.

Any day pics of the new setup?
Old 05-31-2007, 06:41 AM
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Just messin' around in photoshop. What do you guys think?

Old 05-31-2007, 08:02 AM
"Advance"

Received 27 Likes on 11 Posts
Arrow

Originally Posted by tehloxely

Its nice, but for me Its pushing a little to hard...
Old 05-31-2007, 11:26 AM
Racer

I think I like just the lower, better.

Old 05-31-2007, 12:45 PM
Engineer

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

looks balanced.
can be done the same way for the signals.
Old 05-31-2007, 01:43 PM
Godfather of Chrome

Location: Santa Cruz, and yes I'm a hippie with retro 1970s sideburns and a chrome fetish
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Ok I thought they looked good, but decided to do a lil more modding and I like the look I came out with.

I took away half the length and left only the outside intact.

I also did inside, but didn't flow too well.

I took this pic, but it came out with lights looking blue even though you all know they look xenon white. Tell me what you guys think.

Sandiegodrive, I like this look more, I think. It's closer to what xrs did with theirs, which I believe is a better look. Something about the way this flows...I don't know...it just looks better than the big strip you had. Both look good but this looks better.

Assuming you're still on for the All-Cali meet, I can't wait to see this in the daytime and in-person. I'm generally not a fan of adding lights to cars, so for me to be even considering this mod is really saying something about how cool I think it looks!
Old 05-31-2007, 01:59 PM
Safety Car

Received 133 Likes on 129 Posts
I guess they look unique, but too much IMO. TOO much attention. I ordered Arctic White Pro halogens I saw on another TL-S. They are white like the HID Headlights. Not yellowish like the stock fogs.
Old 05-31-2007, 03:01 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by VmtSquad
Its nice, but for me Its pushing a little to hard...

tehloxely, could you photochop one where the strip is right in the middle (where the metal bar currently is)?
Old 05-31-2007, 03:06 PM
Back after 1 Year!

Received 33 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by brettallica
Sandiegodrive, I like this look more, I think. It's closer to what xrs did with theirs, which I believe is a better look. Something about the way this flows...I don't know...it just looks better than the big strip you had. Both look good but this looks better.

Assuming you're still on for the All-Cali meet, I can't wait to see this in the daytime and in-person. I'm generally not a fan of adding lights to cars, so for me to be even considering this mod is really saying something about how cool I think it looks!
I put it back to the full bar look. I don't use them at night with the headlights. Only without the headlights or the parking lights also on.

I've been leaving them on when I park at dusk and night and watch at a distance what people think of them in person. I've gotten a lot of "check that out!" responses. Others say it looks OEM

The only time the I would love to have the Setup like above is when I'm driving at night WITH the headlights on.

Everybody seems to love the full bar during cloudy days, daw, dusk, and night time w/out headlights on. These look great at night (LOL) if your strolling without headlights on. They look really good, but wouldn't recommend it to any of you.
Old 05-31-2007, 03:12 PM
"Advance"

Received 27 Likes on 11 Posts
Maybe I'll try to install the strip ones, looks great and gives a little futuristic look.

You woudnt recommend wich ones ??? get a little confused here!!
Old 05-31-2007, 03:16 PM
Back after 1 Year!

Originally Posted by VmtSquad
Maybe I'll try to install the strip ones, looks great and gives a little futuristic look.

You woudnt recommend wich ones ??? get a little confused here!!
I wouldn't recommend driving with just the DRL (Freakn' Bright!) at night time WITHOUT you headlights not the safest or legal. But the full bars look SOOOOO sick at night without the headlights on. <----Thats what I don't recommend doing at night.
Old 05-31-2007, 03:47 PM
Instructor

I don't know if anyone's seen the new A5/S5 or the R8 from Audi (I believe this idea came from the new Audis) but they actually have the LED DRLs inside the headlight. It looks nice. It would be intersting to see if someone can implement the LED DRLs while clearing/blacking out thier headlights. When I was fist thinking about clearing my headlights I thought it might be cool if I put an LED strip, kind of like the BMW halos, where the chrome accent is by the turn signals. Then I thought more about it and realized it would look bad. I think a row of LEDs along the bottom of the headlight lens would look good though.
Old 05-31-2007, 04:52 PM
OMGWTF4THGENTL

Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts
Originally Posted by evolpe
I don't know if anyone's seen the new A5/S5 or the R8 from Audi (I believe this idea came from the new Audis) but they actually have the LED DRLs inside the headlight. It looks nice. It would be intersting to see if someone can implement the LED DRLs while clearing/blacking out thier headlights. When I was fist thinking about clearing my headlights I thought it might be cool if I put an LED strip, kind of like the BMW halos, where the chrome accent is by the turn signals. Then I thought more about it and realized it would look bad. I think a row of LEDs along the bottom of the headlight lens would look good though.
You mean like the first pictures posted in this thread...?

Sandie... So spill the beans. What and where on the product....?or did I miss it? I'd like to experiment with some of these too.
Old 05-31-2007, 07:46 PM
Back after 1 Year!

Ok, ok

I got the 48cm for this mod. If you only want that "other" look with half bars then get the 24cm.

Here is a link to it.

http://www.besthongkong.com/index.ph...b2e93b71e7504e
Old 05-31-2007, 09:02 PM
Racer

Ok, ok

I got the 48cm for this mod. If you only want that "other" look with half bars then get the 24cm.

Here is a link to it.

http://www.besthongkong.com/index.ph...b2e93b71e7504e
hmmm thanks.
Old 05-31-2007, 10:02 PM
OMGWTF4THGENTL

sandie, now that I've seen the form factor, what were the tube lights secured to when placed behind the grill?

Wanna sell me your pair of 24mm to play with?
Old 05-31-2007, 10:18 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by datmrman

tehloxely, could you photochop one where the strip is right in the middle (where the metal bar currently is)?

I prefer the bottom.
Old 05-31-2007, 11:49 PM
Back after 1 Year!

Originally Posted by Kennedy
sandie, now that I've seen the form factor, what were the tube lights secured to when placed behind the grill?

Wanna sell me your pair of 24mm to play with?
I never had a pair of 24cm. I do have a extra pair of the 48cm.

That look you saw was just taped over with Electrical tape to get that look.

I mounted the LEDs on the actual grill between the 2 and 3 sill. I had to cut out the cross beem (no big deal) to mount them inside. I used "shoe goo" becuase its waterproof, almost like clear rubber that can expand with heat and cold temps.

Culking would work too. Just make sure its clear. I'll try to take some more photos for you guy of night pics.
Old 06-01-2007, 01:35 AM
RAR

Received 1,286 Likes on 714 Posts
Yes, on the S6 only, not the A6.

My mod should be ready by friday (thats when the lights should be coming in)
Has anybody looked into purchasing the oem replacements from an audi dealer and modding them for our TL?
Old 06-01-2007, 01:46 AM
3.2TL

how much did the two strips cost you.
Old 06-01-2007, 01:57 AM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by leedogg
Has anybody looked into purchasing the oem replacements from an audi dealer and modding them for our TL?
I did, but I forgot the reason I abandoned the idea. Either because 1) I couldn't locate the parts or 2) they were too expensive to test with.

tehloxely, thanks for the chop. I'm still in the air about which location I prefer better.
Old 06-01-2007, 10:06 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by Kennedy
You mean like the first pictures posted in this thread...?

Sandie... So spill the beans. What and where on the product....?or did I miss it? I'd like to experiment with some of these too.

No Kennedy, not like the first pictures posted. If you reread what I wrote I said to put the LED INSIDE the headlight assembly, not in the grills. I would use a similar look to the ones in the pics but try to find a way to have them line the bottom of the HEADLIGHTS. I think lights in the grills look cheesy. Look at pictures of the A5/S5 or the R8 and you'll know what I'm talking about. The Audis with the LEDs shown on the first page are A4/S4 and the A6 I believe.
Old 06-01-2007, 10:15 AM
Godfather of Chrome

Location: Santa Cruz, and yes I'm a hippie with retro 1970s sideburns and a chrome fetish
I put it back to the full bar look. I don't use them at night with the headlights. Only without the headlights or the parking lights also on.

I've been leaving them on when I park at dusk and night and watch at a distance what people think of them in person. I've gotten a lot of "check that out!" responses. Others say it looks OEM

The only time the I would love to have the Setup like above is when I'm driving at night WITH the headlights on.

Everybody seems to love the full bar during cloudy days, daw, dusk, and night time w/out headlights on. These look great at night (LOL) if your strolling without headlights on. They look really good, but wouldn't recommend it to any of you.
I can totally see what you're saying. Both setups look good; and each one looks better in certain lighting situations than the other.

I like the photoshop of the LED strip in the middle of the grill per datmrman's suggestion. Something to think about, I guess.
Old 06-01-2007, 11:29 AM
OMGWTF4THGENTL

Originally Posted by evolpe
No Kennedy, not like the first pictures posted. If you reread what I wrote I said to put the LED INSIDE the headlight assembly, not in the grills. I would use a similar look to the ones in the pics but try to find a way to have them line the bottom of the HEADLIGHTS. I think lights in the grills look cheesy. Look at pictures of the A5/S5 or the R8 and you'll know what I'm talking about. The Audis with the LEDs shown on the first page are A4/S4 and the A6 I believe.
Right... R8, gotcha. That's what i get for skimming.
I'm sure it could be done, but that would be a seroius hackjob to make it look good. Interesting idea though.

Sandie, ya know, I'm liking the thought of dremeling a cutout in the lower grill center bar and epoxying them in there. Can you show a closeup pic of the rope light, specifically it's diamter compared with the diameter of the center bar of the lower grill?
Old 06-01-2007, 02:46 PM
Back after 1 Year!

Originally Posted by ThreePointTwoTeeEl
how much did the two strips cost you.
They cost about $30 with shipping.
Old 06-01-2007, 04:38 PM
says "hello to my TLX".

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
nice chop! i like this look the most.

but your current setup isn't bad at all either, Ivan. did you finally complete the entire lighting project?
Old 06-01-2007, 04:48 PM
Back after 1 Year!

That look is nice, but extremly hard to do because you can't make it look OEM unless you do a ton of custom work on the main vain of the lower grills.

Originally Posted by Sun Diego CL-S
nice chop! i like this look the most.

but your current setup isn't bad at all either, Ivan. did you finally complete the entire lighting project?
Yeah, but I just need to wire the footwell lights now to the interior lights.
Old 06-02-2007, 01:35 PM
Back after 1 Year!

Here is some video of the lights after sundown. They are REALLY bright and look awsome at night!

Old 06-02-2007, 01:45 PM
3.2TL

thats sweet. Too bad It wouldnt look good on a 2nd gen, I think. Anyone think they could chop it up on a 2nd gen, I have a 99.
Old 06-03-2007, 06:27 AM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
looks graet to me
Old 06-04-2007, 03:47 PM
Racer

Damn that's bright! Maybe the step down, in brightness would be best for night driving.
Old 06-04-2007, 08:06 PM
Back after 1 Year!

Damn that's bright! Maybe the step down, in brightness would be best for night driving.
It only looks that bright there because the headlights arn't on so it makes them seem way brighter by themselves.
Old 06-04-2007, 08:53 PM
Racer

Maybe make a video with the heads on
Old 06-05-2007, 03:24 PM
Starcraft II addict

Received 91 Likes on 51 Posts
I was searching for a place to get some more 4" white cold cathodes as my usual places don't have them when I ran into this place: www.oznium.com

The have LED strips and one set is water proof and quite thin. I order 1 12" strip of this. If the width is small enough it may work out to put this on the front of the middle bar on the lower grill (with some shaving to provide a flat surface). These strips are also designed to be attachable to more strips.

Here is a pic of what I ordered:

If it doesn't work on the lower grill, I'm thinking of using it to replace the OEM Lighting in the trunk.
Old 06-05-2007, 03:50 PM
Kaa - Ching !!!

Location: Rhode Island.....Self-Proclaimed Chromed Cousin of Brettallica
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Buda
I was searching for a place to get some more 4" white cold cathodes as my usual places don't have them when I ran into this place: www.oznium.com

The have LED strips and one set is water proof and quite thin. I order 1 12" strip of this. If the width is small enough it may work out to put this on the front of the middle bar on the lower grill (with some shaving to provide a flat surface). These strips are also designed to be attachable to more strips.

If it doesn't work on the lower grill, I'm thinking of using it to replace the OEM Lighting in the trunk.

There is a light in the trunk???? (sarcastic)
Old 06-05-2007, 04:27 PM
Starcraft II addict

^-- well that's what I've been told. Personally I haven't seen it. lol

I just saw that oznium has cold cathode angel eyes! They have them as small as 70mm.
Old 06-05-2007, 05:12 PM
Godfather of Chrome

Originally Posted by Buda

Keep us updated on this one.
Old 06-09-2007, 12:57 PM
Starcraft II addict

^-- Got that strip in and just hooked it up to my computer to see what it looks like. Here is a couple teasers. I gotta run some errands so I may not be able to do pics of putting it on the lower grill today.

Old 06-09-2007, 08:55 PM
RAR

Received 1,286 Likes on 714 Posts
Buda, those are interesting LED strips. Cant wait to see how these look on the car. That site seems a little over priced though...
Old 06-09-2007, 11:09 PM
Back after 1 Year!

Yeah I want to see them on too!

Quick Reply: DRL L.E.D. Mod