Drivin' my TL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2004 | 06:14 AM
Advanced

Drivin' my TL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Well, I can now say I'm a proud owner of a new TL!!!!!! I picked it up Friday evening just in time for the weekend! Unfortunately it was raining but hey, gave me an excuse to wash it already . I absolutely LOVE it!!!!!!!! Just trying to figure out all the gadgets etc. Also bought a blue tooth this weekend since my other cell contract was up (perfect timing). I also picked up a few DVD-As and think the sound system is awesome! I couldn't be happier - just in time for my first road trip home on leave to WI. I plan to claybar and wax when I'm in WI since I won't have time before I leave. Although the WDP was not originally my first color choice (compromised with hubby and would have had to wait 2 more months for another color) I'm now soooo happy I got it - I really love the color! I love the way it is a pearl white but also has the metal flaking. I've already received a ton of compliments. I LOVE MY HUSBAND!!!!!!!!! (oh, he's paying for the car ) LOL. See ya guys on the road!
Old 06-28-2004 | 07:09 AM
Racer

Do you have to claybar a new car?
Old 06-28-2004 | 07:38 AM
TL-SHAWD 6MT Rocks!

Congratulations!

enjoy this great toy, that is also a cool working car...
Old 06-28-2004 | 08:39 AM
Team Anthracite Member

Originally Posted by ensley696
A lot of people say to do it to get rid of junk that you may not even see with the eyes. I have not done it, but feel myself caving with all the press about it. I have a mental block of dragging anything back and forth on my car.

Do people clay the WHOLE car?
Old 06-28-2004 | 08:40 AM
Team Anthracite Member

Congrats Cheesehead!! I have not stop smiling since.
Old 06-28-2004 | 09:42 AM
Senior Moderator

Yes, Virginia...there is a Clay Bar

Originally Posted by ensley696
You don't have to, of course. But there is usually rail dust and overspray even on a new car. When you clay bar, you can feel the contaminants even though you can't always see them. You must keep the clay bar well lubricated with a weak car wash solution and slide it with back and forth strokes (not circular). The clay bar will drag when there are contaminants and slide easily when the surface is clean. Because it is so soft, it "sucks up" those contaminants as it frees them.

I did my whole car but the horizontal surfaces took most of the time and attention. The sides were already pretty pristine except for a little overspray. The whole car took about an hour for that stage of the process. And, it's fun. Especially when the neighbors come over and ask just what the he[[ you are doing to your new car.

Keep turning the claybar to expose a fresh surface. You can do the whole car with a half of a clay bar and still reuse it on your second car, saving the 2nd half for the next time on your TL which will probably be at least 6 months down the road.

It will get water spots, bird or tree stains, etc. You can also use it on the windows if you feel any overspray on them. For a new car, however, they paint it before the glass goes on. They're usually OK unless there has been paint work on your car. If so, it is always there even if you can't see it easily.

You can check your paint by putting your hand in a plastic baggie and sliding your finger tips over the surface. If it feels like smooth glass- great. It's clean. But if it feels like sandpaper with bumps, etc., it needs the claybar. You will be astounded how rough a brand new car feels.

After the clay bar, after a second car wash, after a wax or sealant, you will have a mirror finish unlike you could get without the claybar.

XP
Old 06-28-2004 | 01:22 PM
4th Gear

If your going to make that long trip tp WI I would buy the factory bra so you dont get any rock chips, the bras seem to work well for me just dont leave it on all the time.
Old 06-28-2004 | 04:04 PM
Senior Moderator

Is it Living?

Originally Posted by 01AccordEX
If your going to make that long trip tp WI I would buy the factory bra so you dont get any rock chips, the bras seem to work well for me just dont leave it on all the time.
My own choice for protection, although I haven't had it installed yet, is a "clear bra."

It is an 8 mil sheet of Urethane, clear and nearly invisible, that protects against rocks up to 1/2" and 80 MPH. It doesn't change the appearance of the car. In fact, if you don't point it out, people may not even see it. It's guaranteed for 5 years (some) or life (others). Cost is anywhere between $500 to $800.

XP